View Single Post
Old 03-Jun-17, 18:35
Points: 5,775, Level: 32 Points: 5,775, Level: 32 Points: 5,775, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,259 Times in 314 Posts
Default Re: For F vs F fans, do you like stories like this one that recently happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminy [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
FWIW, my money would be on Maria too.
Imagine how devastating it would be for her if she ended up losing in a catfight to Eugenie though, especially after what that girl has already done to her with the trash talk and by beating her in tennis. If only we could get them to do an ultimate surrender match.

Quote:
To answer the original question, I don't think these kind of rivalries quite stack up to those of MMA and other combat sports where, ultimately, they have to physically fight each other to see who the better girl is. A game of Tennis is just not the same climax.

That said, the drama is still fun and there is a sting when the winner brags of her superiority, compounding the loser's shame.
I think for women pro tennis players it can be just as humiliating to lose to a bitter rival in their sport as it is for a woman fighter to lose a fight. They've been playing tennis their whole lives and think they're the best at it and then some woman comes along and proves to be superior. You need to keep in mind that these women (elite athletes) are extremely competitive and don't like to lose, they're not like regular people.

On the other hand due to the nature of the sport a loss in MMA can be much more humiliating, especially if it's by submission or a KO. I think this is especially true if you look at Ronda's fights, in all of her high profile fights she either completely humiliated her opponents (Miesha, Cat Zingano, Bethe) or ended up humiliated and publicly shamed herself (by Holm and Nunes). It's not that surprising that she broke down mentally.