View Single Post
Old 13-May-17, 01:50
Points: 5,775, Level: 32 Points: 5,775, Level: 32 Points: 5,775, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,259 Times in 314 Posts
Default Re: Dominant female aristocrats / women rulers defeating men rulers

This is a story I already posted in the thread about real historic stories about women defeating men in duels. A French aristocratic woman challenged some French officer to a duel ... and won.

Madame de Saint-Belmont defeats a French officer in a duel

In XVII century a French officer unauthorized took up residence in the house of beautiful countess Madame de Saint-Belmont who was a young widow that time. The countess sent him a polite note asking to explain his unexpected intrusion but it was ignored. Then the woman sent the challenge for a duel signing the letter "Chevalier de Saint Belmont". The officer accepted the challenge and at the appointed placed he met the lady who was carefully made up to look like a man. Being well trained in sword fencing the disguised beauty in minutes knocked his sword out by a harsh move, cast it aside by a leg and applied to the officer with the words which made him red: "You are mistaken if you think you have been fighting with the chevalier. I am madam Saint Belmont. I urge you to be more sensitive to women’s requests".

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

“When M. de St. Belmont, who defended a feeble fortress against the arms of Louis XIV., was taken prisoner, his wife, the Comtesse de St. Belmont, who was of a most heroic disposition, still remained upon the estates to take care of them. An officer of cavalry having taken up his quarters there without invitation, Madame de St. Belmont sent him a very civil letter of complaint on his ill behaviour, which he treated with contempt. Piqued at this, she resolved he should give her satisfaction, and sent him a challenge, which she signed “Le Chevalier de St. Belmont.” The officer accepted it, and repaired to the place appointed. Madame de St. Belmont met him, dressed in men’s clothes. They immediately drew their swords, and the heroine had the advantage of him; when, after disarming him, she said, with a gracious smile, “You thought, sir, I doubt not, that you were fighting with the Chevalier de St. Belmont; it is, however, Madame de St. Belmont, who returns you your sword, and begs you in future to pay more regard to the requests of ladies.” She then left him, covered with shame and confusion.”

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

It's such a great story as you'd expect that a male officer from the army would be able to handle some aristocratic lady in a duel but in the end she soundly defeated him and had him at her mercy. It must have been a really embarrassing defeat for him.

He was really lucky that she was so gracious in her victory and didn't punish and humiliate him further for his intrusion. She just politely urged him to be more sensitive to women’s requests in the future and acted like a real classy lady even though he was so rude to her. I'm pretty sure this officer learned his lesson and acted more submissive and respectful around aristocratic ladies from then on after that humiliating defeat he suffered.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to al89 For This Useful Post: