Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

View Poll Results: Cyborg or Rousey?
Cyborg via KO/TKO/Decision 15 71.43%
Rousey via Submission/Decision 5 23.81%
Draw 1 4.76%
Fight ends via DQ or NC 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-Oct-12, 02:22
Points: 5,129, Level: 30 Points: 5,129, Level: 30 Points: 5,129, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Default Cyborg vs Rousey

If the rumor mill is anything to go by, it looks like this fight is getting closer to becoming a reality. In light of that, I thought there might be a few people out there with opinions on how they think the fight will go down. I have only a couple requests:

-- Let's keep it civil.

-- Keep looks out of it, please.

That settled, and much to the dismay of the most the people on this forum, I actually don't see this fight being very competitive and I think Cyborg is going to maul Rousey like a polar bear and here are my reasons why.

Rousey will have a hard time taking her down. The difference between Cyborg and all of Rousey's other opponents is that, this time, Ronda won't be the bigger fighter. Cyborg is stronger, faster, and has a solid background in Muay Thai, making her effective in the clinch. Rousey won't be able to muscle her around, and Cyborg will be able to nullify Rousey's control in the clinch enough not to be taken down.

Rousey doesn't like getting hit. Does anyone remember a guy by the name of Brock Lesnar when he first came rolling through the UFC? And, to that effect, do you remember what happened when he started getting lit up when the takedowns didn't work? Panic. Cyborg is going to hit her harder than anyone in her entire career, and when one of those Wanderlei Silva punches catches her on the jaw, it's goodnight Irene.

Cyborg won't be afraid to get close. As I've covered earlier, Cyborg will feel more confident when she finds herself clinching with Rousey than any of Rousey's previous opponents. That lets her open up with her hands and get in close to rough Ronda up without the same fear of being taken down. This creates a huge problem for Rousey and a big mental edge to Cyborg.

Rousey only has one way to win. If she can't get the fight to the floor and armbar Cyborg is short order, she has no other path to victory and Rousey knows it. Cyborg has a much better chance of surviving in Rousey's world than Rousey does in Cyborg's. And, as always, the fight starts on the feet.

In conclusion, I see this fight going similar to that of Lesnar/Overeem. I think the fighters feel each other out for 15 or so seconds, Rousey eats a small flurry, clinches, can't get the takedown, starts to eat some punches, tries to throw Cyborg off-guard with a double-leg, eats a knee, and Cyborg pounds her out for the finish somewhere in the middle of the first round.

Cyborg via TKO, round one. Who you got?
Old 08-Oct-12, 03:01
sleepinbin

Default Re: Cyborg vs Rousey

personally, while your analysis is interesting, i find it very hard to say what i think will happen because i have no idea what to expect from cyborg when shes coming off of a year-long suspension and (probably) fighting at a lower weight than she ever has before.

theres a couple of things you say that i'm not entirely convinced by though. cyborg has a history of being sloppy and dumb when it comes to grappling - her attempts to clinch trip gina carano ending in her pulling mount dont inspire me to believe she could stave off rousey if it comes to a clinch battle.

similarly, im not sure about rousey not taking punches well - in several fights, including vs kaufman, she charged in like a lunatic looking for clinch range. now while i agree that this opens her up to getting walloped (because yes, cyborg hits hard), it doesnt say to me that she fears closing the distance or taking punches.

finally, rousey has more than the armbar - we just havent seen it yet, and is a very dynamic grappler. basically, if she gets it down, things become very difficult for cyborg, if she cant, shes in trouble... but ive seen very little in the way of high-quality grappling from cyborg in her career.

i think cyborg poses more questions for rousey than anyone shes fought yet, but shes wild and sloppy and is coming back from a long lay off. its very possible she is able to stuff rousey and beat her up, but its very possible that rousey can take her down and sub her. i think the circumstances make it very difficult to call, and i think you are underselling rousey a little bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enshadowed [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
don't let stewie see you said that!
Old 08-Oct-12, 03:40
Points: 24,585, Level: 68 Points: 24,585, Level: 68 Points: 24,585, Level: 68
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enshadowed [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
If the rumor mill is anything to go by, it looks like this fight is getting closer to becoming a reality.
Sadly the fight is everything but close, it'll probably happen, but not in the near future imo, and for sure it won't be Ronda's next fight.

Quote:
Rousey will have a hard time taking her down. The difference between Cyborg and all of Rousey's other opponents is that, this time, Ronda won't be the bigger fighter. Cyborg is stronger, faster, and has a solid background in Muay Thai, making her effective in the clinch. Rousey won't be able to muscle her around, and Cyborg will be able to nullify Rousey's control in the clinch enough not to be taken down.
Really, are you sure about this? That strenght gap you're talking about will depend on the weight class they're gonna fight at. If they fight at 135lbs with Cyborg not being on steroids, they'd be pretty close in terms of strenght imo.

Quote:
Rousey doesn't like getting hit.
Sorry man, this is quite an old argument, I thought we settled this long time ago. Almost everyone in the MMA community now believe that Ronda has become a very good striker. I trust her coach who said he could make a boxing world champion out of her if she just wanted, and I trust the elite girls boxers she had been sparring with that said she can really punch. A few days ago I even red an MMA article in which the writer was sure that Ronda could have beaten Kaufman striking if their fight didn't finish to the ground, and Kaufman is considered one of the best punchers in WMMA...
I mean, Cyborg probably has only KO power more than Ronda at striking, (even though I can't tell if Ronda has it), but again, it'll depends on what weight they're gonna fight at.

Quote:
Rousey only has one way to win. If she can't get the fight to the floor and armbar Cyborg is short order, she has no other path to victory and Rousey knows it. Cyborg has a much better chance of surviving in Rousey's world than Rousey does in Cyborg's. And, as always, the fight starts on the feet.
You're probably right, she only has one way, but how many ways does Cyborg have? Probably none. Ronda has proven almost unbeatable on the ground, and if what they say about her striking is true, she won't be KOed or TKOed by any means. I think you're probably overestimating Cyborg's stand game here. I mean, so far she has just being ragdolling her opponents, not much of tecnique was involved in her fights. All in all, I even believe that Ronda is more of a skilled boxer than her.

Quote:
In conclusion, you're in for a big surprise my friend, whenever (and if) the fight happen.
Ronda by armbar, not in the first round this time.

Last edited by lucad; 08-Oct-12 at 03:50.
Old 08-Oct-12, 03:52
Last Achievements

@ Sleepinbin

You make some valid and interesting points, some of which it's hard to disagree with. Cyborg is Wanderlei Silva with a uterus, which is to say her style is aggressive and wild, with looping punches and the willingness to take a few to land a few. If she were fighting Anderson Silva, this would be a problem. But she's fighting Rousey - someone who won't be able to exploit those flaws on the feet.

As for Cyborg's clinch game, you have to remember Gina Carano comes from the same Muay Thai background. She's also very strong in the clinch, so trying to take her down from said position would be a difficult prospect. I'm not advocating that Cyborg wants to play in the clinch with Rousey, or should try to take her down from said position. But I do think she has enough knowledge and body control to keep Rousey from putting her on her back.

As far as the Kaufman fight goes, that's exactly my point. Rousey is going to try and close the distance and clinch up with Cyborg at her first opportunity - and if she fails to get her to the floor, her ability to win the fight drops to about zero. But the difference between a fight with Kaufman and one with Cyborg is that Cyborg is infinitely more dangerous on the feet than Kaufman, is much bigger, and much more difficult to take down.

While I admit I'm not a fan of Rousey, and perhaps that colors my opinion (although I like to think it hasn't played a factor), I still have a hard time seeing her winning this fight. I just think Cyborg will be too much for her.
Old 08-Oct-12, 04:01
Last Achievements

@lucad

You could be absolutely correct on all accounts - that's the fun part of speculation, we don't know for sure until it happens. However, I don't for a moment believe that Rousey has the stand-up game of a Kaufman or really anyone else in the women's division. She doesn't seem comfortable on her feet much at all, her footwork (to me) is rudimentary at best, and she hasn't really shown anything to be afraid of while the fight stays upright.

As for her coaches saying she could be a world champion boxer... my only question is, have you ever participated in martial arts of any kind before? I don't mean this in condescension, I only ask because that's the kind of things coaches tell you. Particularly boxing coaches, that's how they build you up. They call you champ, they parade you around like you're the best thing in the world, and they bring in other people to spar with that they know you can beat to bring up your confidence and help you believe in yourself. So anything quoted from them has to be taken with a grain of salt.

And while I've stipulated that Cyborg isn't the most technical striker around, she's only got to clip you with one of those missiles once, just like Rousey only has to grab hold of your arm for but a moment. The only real question is, can Rousey take her down? Because I don't think there's any question who wins the contest if it stays standing - or, if it hits the ground.
Old 08-Oct-12, 04:21
Points: 126,439, Level: 100 Points: 126,439, Level: 100 Points: 126,439, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Thanked 10,104 Times in 886 Posts

I used to think Cyborg could beat Rousey but now I have to say by the time Cyborg comes down to Rousey's weight, she will be drained. Also if you watch Cyborg vs Carano, you will see Cyborg was very vulnerable at times on the ground. If she makes one mistake on the ground with Rousey, it will be over.
Old 08-Oct-12, 09:41
Points: 1,718, Level: 16 Points: 1,718, Level: 16 Points: 1,718, Level: 16
Last Achievements

I still rather doubt that Cyborg can even get down to 135 (we're talking about a woman who's missed 145 badly in the past) and to be honest I'd want her to fight someone else first. You don't get a title fight on your first fight back from a drug suspension in my book.

I also think you're overselling the usefulness of Muay Thai clinchwork in dealing with takedowns of the quality that Rousey has. I think you can also count on Rousey being less likely to 'panic' and give up on her Judo game than Lesnar was with his wrestling. You don't make it to the highest level of Judo without a lot of mental toughness and I rather doubt she's going to just quit* if she can't get the takedown straight off the bat.

Rousey's striking looked good for the 5 seconds she was on her feet with Kaufman. She stuck a jab in the face of someone who's in theory one of the better strikers in womens MMA and used it to close range very efficiently. Mission accomplished. There's also no evidence that she can't take a punch, that's just conjecture because of how quickly she's gone to the Judo in every fight so far.

I also think you're overrating Cyborg's striking. She's got some power, but she's also had girls stand in front of her taking shot after shot without going down - and that was at 145 or more, it's pretty obvious that she's not going to hit as hard at 135.

I'm not about to say Cyborg can't win this fight, because I think she can but I think it's far less likely than 'business as usual' armbar submission. I'd think it's nearly inevitable that the fight ends up on the mat at some point, key would be whether Cyborg can restrict the quality of takedown that Rousey gets (meaning the position they end up with immediately after the takedown) and whether she can reliably get back up without giving her arm away.

*Not really intended as a shot at Lesnar. He did remarkable things considering how late he came to the game and really was a shadow after his diverticuhoweveryouspellthat issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to sammy_scuffles For This Useful Post:
Old 08-Oct-12, 09:46
Points: 21,868, Level: 64 Points: 21,868, Level: 64 Points: 21,868, Level: 64
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,622 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepinbin [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

don't let stewie see you said that!
Actually this is one of the better trolls on this forum. For that reason alone Enshadowed, I'm giving you 9/10.

There's no point in me commenting any further on this thread, as the above posters have more or less debunked your arguments.

Just for the record, when it DOES happen, remember who said it:

FIRST-ROUND

Rousey by armbar
Old 08-Oct-12, 10:05
Points: 9,308, Level: 41 Points: 9,308, Level: 41 Points: 9,308, Level: 41
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vassa [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I used to think Cyborg could beat Rousey but now I have to say by the time Cyborg comes down to Rousey's weight, she will be drained. Also if you watch Cyborg vs Carano, you will see Cyborg was very vulnerable at times on the ground. If she makes one mistake on the ground with Rousey, it will be over.
Rousey will beat Santo's easily no matter what weight class it is contested at.She will take her to to the ground quickly and submit her by armbar, or whatever submission she feels like.The ease that Rousey will submit her will be shocking.I'm not a Rousey nuthugger but she is so far superior to everone else,including Cyborg, it's really not even fair.
The Following User Says Thank You to paul0415 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-Oct-12, 10:06
Points: 32,395, Level: 78 Points: 32,395, Level: 78 Points: 32,395, Level: 78
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,349 Times in 592 Posts

last time when she fought my favorite mma girl, she destroyed her. Same can happen this time.