Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Stories

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 11-Dec-18, 21:40
Points: 12,856, Level: 49 Points: 12,856, Level: 49 Points: 12,856, Level: 49
Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,106 Posts
Default Do any writers here Copyright?

I looked into it a little bit and I can post more details if anyone wants. Copyright law in the US is pretty simple. Once you write something you own it, but the easiest way to show that it's yours is to copyright what you write. It costs about $35 to copyright a story or collection of stories and that can help you legally if someone steals your work.

Copyrighting an idea is more tricky and harder to prove. Ideas are out there, but finished writing, or even, unfinished that you want to protect can be copyrighted.

I think writing theft is very rare, but because I looked into it, I thought I'd post this here and ask if anyone here copyrights and/or has run into problems with seeing their work used by someone else.

As far as I can tell, copyright law only applies to the US. Different nations have different rules.
Old 11-Dec-18, 22:38
Points: 8,148, Level: 38 Points: 8,148, Level: 38 Points: 8,148, Level: 38
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Default Re: Do any writers here Copyright?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LicensetoKill [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I looked into it a little bit and I can post more details if anyone wants. Copyright law in the US is pretty simple. Once you write something you own it, but the easiest way to show that it's yours is to copyright what you write. It costs about $35 to copyright a story or collection of stories and that can help you legally if someone steals your work.

Copyrighting an idea is more tricky and harder to prove. Ideas are out there, but finished writing, or even, unfinished that you want to protect can be copyrighted.

I think writing theft is very rare, but because I looked into it, I thought I'd post this here and ask if anyone here copyrights and/or has run into problems with seeing their work used by someone else.

As far as I can tell, copyright law only applies to the US. Different nations have different rules.

I would only copyright personal writing if I were trying to make money from it.

From a practical standpoint, if you're afraid of people stealing your words, you shouldn't show them pre-publication to anyone aside from editors and lawyers.
Old 11-Dec-18, 22:43
Banned
Points: 11,882, Level: 47 Points: 11,882, Level: 47 Points: 11,882, Level: 47
Last Achievements

Copyright traditionally applied to publications.
Trying to copyright something on the Internet strikes me as similar to trying to herd cats.
I have no idea how it works.
Old 11-Dec-18, 23:29
Points: 14,307, Level: 51 Points: 14,307, Level: 51 Points: 14,307, Level: 51
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 1,352 Times in 147 Posts

Not something I'd really consider doing normally; if I'm posting a story for free I don't think it's worth the cost and hassle, and I assume if it's self-published on Kindle or in any other kind of store it's automatically copyrighted (based on [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] ).
Old 12-Dec-18, 00:37
Points: 8,148, Level: 38 Points: 8,148, Level: 38 Points: 8,148, Level: 38
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylefan [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Copyright traditionally applied to publications.
Trying to copyright something on the Internet strikes me as similar to trying to herd cats.
I have no idea how it works.

Copyright is for expression of ideas — movies, novels, artwork.

If people without permission reproduce copyrighted material online, the answer is to sue —or, depending on circumstances, call the cops.
Old 12-Dec-18, 01:21
Points: 3,508, Level: 24 Points: 3,508, Level: 24 Points: 3,508, Level: 24
Last Achievements

Copyright laws are like other laws country specific. But practically all countries have signed the Berne convention, so copyright laws are really very similar between countries.

You get automatic copyright on a text like a story without doing anything. And you can take infringement to court. Obviously you will need to be able to prove that it was yours originally. But posting it here or in another forum should be sufficient.

There can still be benefits by registering. If it is registered you can claim statuary damages and refund of attorney fees in case of infringement. But seriously I doubt this type of stories warrant this effort.

Fees are here:

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

Electronic filing are here:

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following User Says Thank You to AVpower For This Useful Post:
Old 12-Dec-18, 05:18
Points: 12,856, Level: 49 Points: 12,856, Level: 49 Points: 12,856, Level: 49
Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,106 Posts

Thanks for the answers. I'll add my 2 cents because I'm working on what might become a book, so I looked into it.

AVPower is right. Technically you own the copyright just by writing something. If you wrote it, it's yours.

Submitting your writing to the copyright office (in the US) is a more efficient way to prove that you wrote it. It's to your advantage if somebody steals your work. But at the same time, writing is hard to sell and almost never stolen . . . so in most cases, it's not necessary to copyright your writing unless you're really serious about writing and hope to make money off it one day.

Submitting copyright doesn't mean you can't post it and share it, it's yours, you can post it for free.

Probably a silly question, more for serious writers, so forgive me for asking. I was curious about responses.

Last edited by LicensetoKill; 12-Dec-18 at 15:25.
Old 12-Dec-18, 13:10
Points: 3,242, Level: 23 Points: 3,242, Level: 23 Points: 3,242, Level: 23
Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2%
Last Achievements

You don't have to register a copyright to have copyright protection. Protection legally exists the moment the work is published in any media. Registration, though, provides benefits, such as being used as proof that you are the actual creator of the work.

Tags
copyright, stories, writting