Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 17-Jan-18, 00:28
Points: 15,348, Level: 53 Points: 15,348, Level: 53 Points: 15,348, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Default Re: Paige Vanzant

I predict Paige's next victory will be in the WWE. Because of course, those fights are staged.
Old 17-Jan-18, 16:29
Points: 5,218, Level: 30 Points: 5,218, Level: 30 Points: 5,218, Level: 30
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%
Last Achievements

Paige continues to be the MMA analog of professional tennis' Anna Kournikova. Even though she loses, there is always some stunning quality of the match that presents her as an ultimate star. I'm just glad she didn't suffer permanent damage from continuing the fight.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Corner Man For This Useful Post:
Old 20-Jan-18, 16:50
Points: 13,581, Level: 50 Points: 13,581, Level: 50 Points: 13,581, Level: 50
Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8%
Last Achievements

The Corner man is right Page is a great deal like Anna. Both nice looking young women who are ok at their sports but not great
The Following User Says Thank You to AKgrappler For This Useful Post:
Old 21-Jan-18, 01:07
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

Frank Pozen's commentary:

There were four women's matches on last night's show. While that may seem like a good thing to the insufferable women's MMA fanboys, all four matches were terrible. They had in common varying degrees of ineptitude. Not one match was entertaining. The biggest problem is fighters brought in as late replacements don't belong in the UFC. So it's not really a women's MMA problem but a general problem with the UFC roster. I guess the UFC needs to spread these out better. Putting four poor women's fights on one show does no one any favors. This fight was on the main card. Paige is popular with casual fans but she's not a good fighter. She recently moved to Gracie Barra in Portland but based on this fight, it hasn't helped her. Jessy Jess is an Aussie who was in Invicta. She now trains at Syndicate in Las Vegas. She came to the UFC as a late replacement and won over Bec Rawlings. Also, her house was robbed after she left for St. Louis. And the scumbag killed her cat. That had to be on her mind. Considering that, she did OK. As for Paige, she still seems to be more interested in doing flashy switch kicks and spinning back fists. And then she broke her forearm on a spinning back fist. Then she does one of those stupid headlock takedowns and Jessy Jess got top position. She didn't do much with it and ref Mario Yamasaki let it go on. So that helped Jessy Jess a lot. With Paige's arm broken, the rest of the fight was a foregone conclusion. Jessy Jess won by unanimous decision. Paige still makes beginner mistakes that she shouldn't make anymore. We need to see improvement and we sure didn't see it last night.

Coach explains why he let Paige VanZant fight with a broken arm at UFC St. Louis

Paige VanZant won’t forget her UFC St. Louis fight with Jessica Rose-Clark any time soon.

VanZant suffered the first decision loss of her UFC career on Sunday night, but has gained a lot of respect from the MMA community after revealing that she suffered an arm fracture in the second round.

“12 Gauge” kept fighting despite the injury, and even escaped a submission attempt later in the second round, but lost the decision in the end.

VanZant informed her coach and corner Fabiano Scherner before the third round that she was injured, and Scherner spoke with MMA Fighting to explain why he didn’t advise her to stop the fight.

“I was asking her to stay away from the clinch and keep the distance to use her boxing and kickboxing, and she said, ‘My arm is broken,’” Scherner said. “She wasn’t feeling any pain, so I thought it could be a fissure, that sometimes hurts as much as a fracture. She said she fractured it in the first round, but she didn’t remember that the spinning back fist was in the second round.

“Everything that happened in the second round led me to believe that it wasn’t a serious injury because the way she continued fighting, you couldn’t notice it. I went back to the corner and asked the other coaches if they thought it was really broken, and they couldn’t give me a concrete answer. I kept telling her to hit with the right hand, and when I saw that she wasn’t throwing punches, I knew it was more serious than I thought.

“It made sense later why she wasn’t defended the triangle attempt the way we trained. We even trained that defense earlier that day, but finding out about the fracture made sense after all.”

After noticing that VanZant wasn’t throwing right hands in the third, Scherner still decided against throwing in the towel.

“I let the fight play out because at any moment she… She wasn’t using her right hand, but I was looking at her face and she didn’t appear to be in pain or anything like that, so I thought it was serious but that she could continue,” he said. “I didn’t think about throwing in the towel. We spoke about it after the fight and I saw the X-ray, I apologized to her for making that call, and she said, ‘It was the right call because I wanted to go back and continue fighting. I would be disappointed if you had stopped the fight.’ I think it was the right call because she really wanted to go back.

”I didn’t ask her if she wanted to continue or not because she would lose confidence in the fight,” he adds. “I want to make clear that it was my decision to let the fight continue, and I would take all the responsibility if something worse had happened. But what matters to me is her opinion about it, and she was happy with my decision. She thought it was the right thing, and that’s what matters to me.”

VanZant is expected to visit an orthopedist in Portland to check if she has any other arm injuries and decide if she needs to have surgery.

“She’s young and will recover quickly,” Scherner said, “but it’s not about recovering quickly, but doing the right procedure so she doesn’t have any issues later in her career.”

The unanimous decision defeat dropped VanZant’s MMA record to 7-4, a 4-3 run since joining the UFC in 2014, but her coach believes that she has gained more respect from fans after fighting with such a serious injury.

“If someone doubted why she was in the UFC, it’s answered now,” Scherner said. “She’s there to fight. I don’t remember anyone else in UFC history, maybe she’s the first fighter to fight through a broken arm. I’ve seen broken noses, broken hands, broken wrists, but a broken arm like that, I think she’s the first. I’ll be honest with you, I don’t see anyone else fighting the way she fought with that injury.”
Old 21-Jan-18, 08:46
Points: 57,566, Level: 100 Points: 57,566, Level: 100 Points: 57,566, Level: 100
Activity: 88.1% Activity: 88.1% Activity: 88.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,746 Times in 1,915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

“If someone doubted why she was in the UFC, it’s answered now,” Scherner said. “She’s there to fight. I don’t remember anyone else in UFC history, maybe she’s the first fighter to fight through a broken arm. I’ve seen broken noses, broken hands, broken wrists, but a broken arm like that, I think she’s the first. I’ll be honest with you, I don’t see anyone else fighting the way she fought with that injury.”
It's not without precedent. Rich Franklin knocked out Chuck Liddell despite breaking his arm earlier in the fight.
The Following User Says Thank You to jiminy For This Useful Post:
Old 26-Jan-18, 18:39
Points: 5,218, Level: 30 Points: 5,218, Level: 30 Points: 5,218, Level: 30
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%
Last Achievements

"If someone doubted why she was in the UFC, it’s answered now,” Scherner said. “She’s there to fight".

Brilliant, Fab. What do you think the other fighters are doing? I don't have more "respect" for PVZ because she fought with an injury. It shows that her coach made bad decisions. It was luck, not anything else, that prevented Paige from getting seriously injured. A good coach would have realized that. When I'm the lead, I don't ask others what they think, I make the call. Of course Paige said that he made the right decision AFTER the fight, only because she wasn't sitting in the hospital discussing permanent nerve damage with a neurologist. Coaches should protect their fighters' health, not their ego.
Old 12-Apr-18, 12:22
Points: 10,043, Level: 43 Points: 10,043, Level: 43 Points: 10,043, Level: 43
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Default Rise

Has anyone else read Paige Van Zant's autobiographical book Rise? It's just out and I found it quite touching and inspiring. Paige is not a great fighter, but is a stellar person.
The Following User Says Thank You to mermao For This Useful Post:
Old 12-Apr-18, 23:02
Producer
Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,066 Posts

"It's UFC Fight Night 80 at the Chelsea Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas, a well-known mixed martial arts event. Our fight is the main event. I have six wins on my resume, and I'm not backing down for my seventh. Because the strawweight division is new, I can be a world champion. The momentum has been building so much that it feels like Christmas, my birthday, and New Year's all rolled into one. I'm twenty-one, I'm fighting with the UFC -- my life is starting to feel like a sort of cosmic arrival. I settle in with myself, attuned to a path of growth, unwavering in my goals. Having such clear focus and direction gives meaning to every single day: I exist to evolve. And my intention feels volcanic. I walk onto the Octagon buzzing with a full-body excitement. I'm up against Rose "Thug" Namajunas, who was in The Ultimate Fighter and got her feet wet as a taekwondo black belt and jujitsu master all before the age of ten. Taekwondo is a Korean martial art with a strong emphasis on head-height kicks and jumping and spinning kicks; whereas jujitsu is more ground game. This means Rose is primed on every possible level, ready for any and all angles of attack. She's the number three UFC contender in the world and by far a more technical fighter than I am. Rose is beautiful, with her perfect Lithuanian facial structure and pool-blue eyes, an infectious smile, and a gorgeous head of hair -- which she shaves defiantly right before our fight. It's a fight. Not a beauty pageant, she tweets, her freshly buzzed cut featured on social media.

She takes me down during the first round and batters me with sharp elbows to the face. This girl is strong. My blood tastes warm in the spaces between the mouth guard and my teeth. The gash on my cheek is so bad it's not just bleeding, it's gushing.

"Keep breathing," my coach says as he slathers globs of Vaseline onto the cut to stop the bleeding, to no avail. "You're doing great. You have to stay mean for this one."

There's so much blood in my eyes and ears I may as well be fighting underwater -- everything is muffled and blurry. When we're on our feet she throws sharp, bullet-like punches, beyond my guard. None of the clinch takedowns I typically use are working on her. And as much as it stings to say it, she's a step ahead of me the whole time. It feels like Rose is in a whole other league of expertise, which might be a result of the fact that I was initially meant to fight Joanne Calderwood, who was forced to pull out five weeks ago and was replaced by Rose, who is currently destroying me. I'm reminded of Dad's warning that having heart is just one piece of the puzzle. Mastery of skill is the other piece, and Rose has got it on lock. I'm feeling defeated even before I lose.

In the next round, she gets me into a rear-naked choke so tight I have to remind myself to relax my throat, to take small sips of air through my nose, but I start seeing black spots and feel dizzy. Through a sliver of visibility, I catch a glimpse of the giant screen where the fight is projected and see myself, drenched in my own blood, my eye sliced open. I linger there in that zombie state for a moment and ask myself, Am I done? And still, I don't tap out. I survive the choke and the battery of fists that follow and when the horn blows, I'm as surprised as everyone else in the room that I'm not actually dead. I may not have the winning hand here, but I am calling up every drop of force I have to prevail.

By the fourth round, she already has six takedowns. Now she comes at me with not one but two deep arm bars, but miraculously, I manage to rotate my wrist and slither out from under her -- both times! She takes me down a seventh time. And an eighth time during the fifth round. And it's during this round that she gets me into a rear-naked choke with such a grip that there's no resisting the pressure on the bones in my throat. It is quite literally a life-or-death moment. And so I tap out and Rose wins by submission. The commentators call it the win of her career. At the press conference after the fight, I sit there all busted up and choke back tears. I ask my parents to leave because if they stay, I'll bawl the whole time. I hold myself as strong as possible, but the disappointment burns in me.

It's my first UFC loss and it feels like a little death. I hate losing more than I love to win, so when it happens, I have to mourn it, take it in and get my head around the lessons it came to teach me. And while the loss against Rose feels like a living hell, I discover that my grit during the fight did not go unnoticed. The fight commentators and media even say that while everyone remembers Rose's technical skills, they also remember my tenacity. In this way, I lost the fight but I won the respect of the MMA community. I keep reminding myself that this means something."

From "RISE," copyright Paige VanZant, courtesy of Hachette Books.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KillerCrushes For This Useful Post:
Old 15-Apr-18, 05:52
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Last Achievements

The Following User Says Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 17-Apr-18, 03:49
Last Achievements

IG video of Paige at a school doing some hip throws on the kids. Right click on video (after going to the link below) to download.

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:

Tags
mma, paige vanzant, wmma