Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

View Poll Results: Who will be winner?
Ronda Rousey 158 61.72%
Jean Claude Van Damme 98 38.28%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-Aug-12, 23:33
sleepinbin

Default Re: Rousey vs Kaufman: Official Discussion Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Meh. I can't really get into women's MMA, I prefer men's boxing but I'll check this out.
do u dislike mma in general, or just women doing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Congrats on Mexico!

I'm seriously considering putting up to £1,000 on Ronda FTW.
£1000 to win £167? brave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I can't understand why Davis stood and traded with Kaufman. If she'd have taken her down asap, I'm sure she'd have subbed her. IMHO Nunes has got a better punch than Sarah.
because davis also isnt very good (her takedowns are poor) and doesnt have great fight iq. she also couldnt sub kaufman while basically having her mounted for a whole round, kaufman is very tough to finish and davis is sloppy. but she certainly cud have controlled her on the ground if shed been able to get it there earlier and win a decision. davis was also landing decent shots on the feet to be fair, it wasnt like she was getting completely destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwrestlegirls [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
There is no way Ronda can lose. All it takes is one simple takedown. All-in on Ronda would make sense to me. She is first of a new breed of women fighters. After this one she should think about a mixed match.
i dont think thats true. rather ronda is the (women's) pinnacle of the oldest breed in mma - the way royce gracie was.eg relatively one dimensional fighters... but so so so much better at that one thing than anyone else is, and her opponents skill level is not fantastic, so shes able to just destroy them. a mixed fight against even a mid-level man would represent an enormous step up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Ronda is definitely a favorite in this one. The girl is just amazing on the ground, and it is almost impossible to prevent her from taking you down.

However, she has never been seriously hit (kicked or punched). If that happens, and, sooner or later, probably will, we'll see how tough she really is. A true test would be against Cyborg. If it ever happens, I would love to see Ronda demolish Cyborg, but I'm not sure it would be the case.
hard to say, since wmma doesnt have too many big hitters. cyborg perhaps, but bare in mind if she comes back shell be fighting 10lbs lighter than before (and that will be 10lbs of muscle shell have to lose) and will most likely not be doping anymore, so her power may not translate. and even when she was in her prime, cyborg wasnt exactly scoring clean kos left right and centre, rather overwhelming people with wild aggression...
Old 14-Aug-12, 00:17
Points: 21,868, Level: 64 Points: 21,868, Level: 64 Points: 21,868, Level: 64
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,622 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepinbin [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
£1000 to win £167? brave
Even though she's a dead cert to win, its probably going to be more like £300, which gets me £50 profit, or 2 weeks beer money

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepinbin [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
because davis also isnt very good (her takedowns are poor) and doesnt have great fight iq. she also couldnt sub kaufman while basically having her mounted for a whole round, kaufman is very tough to finish and davis is sloppy. but she certainly cud have controlled her on the ground if shed been able to get it there earlier and win a decision. davis was also landing decent shots on the feet to be fair, it wasnt like she was getting completely destroyed
If I'd been her corner-man, I'd have told her to grapple from the outset. They just beat each other up and proved nothing IMHO.

Quote:
a mixed fight against even a mid-level man would represent an enormous step up.
Caraway.....Dana MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Quote:
even when she was in her prime, cyborg wasnt exactly scoring clean kos left right and centre, rather overwhelming people with wild aggression...
Mark my words.....Ronda will grapple-fuck Cyborg
Old 14-Aug-12, 00:31
sleepinbin

Quote:
Even though she's a dead cert to win, its probably going to be more like £300, which gets me £50 profit, or 2 weeks beer money

If I'd been her corner-man, I'd have told her to grapple from the outset. They just beat each other up and proved nothing IMHO.

Caraway.....Dana MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Mark my words.....Ronda will grapple-fuck Cyborg
fair play mate, hope nothing goes wrong so

davis' concern was probably that she wasnt gonna be able to take down a fresh kaufman, which is probably fair (davis is no td expert) and didnt want to eat more shots wading into clinch range. but im speculating here.

weve had this discussion before re: caraway and i dont see anything that makes me think ronda could beat him more than 1 time out of 10. like it or not, for various reasons, the mens game is lightyears ahead of the womens...

i would think that at 135, yes. cyborg did ragdoll amanda lucas (who is a lot heavier than her) at openweight at mundials, but also pulled gina into mount (twice!) by messing up clinch trips when they fought. cyborg at 135 is going to be weaker and that takes away one of her main advantages.
Old 14-Aug-12, 06:41
Points: 9,308, Level: 41 Points: 9,308, Level: 41 Points: 9,308, Level: 41
Last Achievements

Quote:
yeah, ronda has this. kaufman's stand up is, while very solid by wmma standards, still very limited. basic combos without real power. her tdd isnt great, and her ground game is awful... alexis-freakin-davis controlled her with ease in the third round of their fight. shes tough but shes not highly skilled.

basically shes about as perfect style match up for ronda as shes gonna get.

at 1/6 on tho (1.16 or -600 for the americans) that isnt a good value bet
You make it sound as if Alexis Davis is a joke on the ground.She gave Kyra Gracie hell in a grappling match and came close to submitting her.She controlled and submitted Hitomi Akano much more impressively than Sara Mcmann did. I know Rousey is on a diffrent level but to just dismiss Davis as alexis-freakin-davis is not respecting how skilled of a grappler she is.
With her striking and grappling skills,I think Alexis Davis would provide Rousey with her most serious test.
Old 14-Aug-12, 07:03
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

Ronda has started training with Lucia Rijker, who I would imagine can hit harder than Cyborg. I guess Ronda and her team will find out in training camp. We'll have to weight until she actually gets hit by Cris to find out for ourselves...
The Following User Says Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 14-Aug-12, 08:00
Points: 9,614, Level: 42 Points: 9,614, Level: 42 Points: 9,614, Level: 42
Last Achievements

Kaufman made an insulting statement about American fighters. Although I wanna see someone shut Rousey up, I will support her against Kaufman.
Old 14-Aug-12, 09:21
Points: 21,868, Level: 64 Points: 21,868, Level: 64 Points: 21,868, Level: 64
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,622 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken&Renee [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Kaufman made an insulting statement about American fighters. Although I wanna see someone shut Rousey up, I will support her against Kaufman.
I think Sarah struggles with the whole hype-business in regard to selling fights and trash-talking. I wouldn't be surprised if some publicist hadn't told her what to say. Although I'm a huge Ronda fan, I'm going to feel sorry for Sarah when she gets a dislocated elbow.......I just hope she taps quickly, to minimize the soft-tissue damage.
Old 14-Aug-12, 12:16
sleepinbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0415 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
You make it sound as if Alexis Davis is a joke on the ground.She gave Kyra Gracie hell in a grappling match and came close to submitting her.She controlled and submitted Hitomi Akano much more impressively than Sara Mcmann did. I know Rousey is on a diffrent level but to just dismiss Davis as alexis-freakin-davis is not respecting how skilled of a grappler she is.
With her striking and grappling skills,I think Alexis Davis would provide Rousey with her most serious test.
look, alexis davis is an *extremely* sloppy mma grappler and her standup is awful. her match with kaufman is a statement on kaufman being over-rated than her being under-rated.

you honestly can't use the metric you do using akano to measure fighters, especially when mcmann and davis are very different types of fighters and were fighting different fights agains akano. i would back mcmann to absolutely shut down alexis davis if they fought, fwiw, and id be very surprised if u didnt do the same.

and i would say the same for rousey - it wudnt be competitive. davis' grappling isnt high level and her stand up is pretty awful. by wmma standards this makes her an ok fighter, sure, but the majority of wmma fighters are unfortuantely objectively not very good. basically my point still stands - if alexis-freaking-davis can control you on the deck and drag you down, rousey rousey sure as hell can.
Old 14-Aug-12, 14:28
Points: 14,039, Level: 51 Points: 14,039, Level: 51 Points: 14,039, Level: 51
Last Achievements

Ronda is going down
Old 14-Aug-12, 15:20
Points: 24,585, Level: 68 Points: 24,585, Level: 68 Points: 24,585, Level: 68
Last Achievements

I think that what you guys keep ignoring in this discussion is the fact that basically there is no woman with real knockout power in WMMA, and when I say real KO power I mean one punch or one kick and you go to sleep.

Not even Cyborg has ever showed that kind of explosiveness, and a one punch/kick KO power is right the only way to beat Ronda IMO, since you can't pretend to keep her stand-fighting more than 30 seconds per round. You eventually finish on the ground, whatever you try to do.

Reason why I think that if she is ever going to be beaten, paradoxically it will happen at her own game on the ground (lets say McMann or Kayla Harrison or any other world class grappler).

I agree that Alexis Davis would have been more of a threat for Ronda than Kaufmann, Kaufmann is just a perfect matchup for her, I mean Stewie is right, you can probably bet your house, even your mother on the final outcome.

A more interesting wager would be if Kaufmann plays the hero like Miesha and refuses to tap quickly or if she like her elbow right the way it is...I guess she has clear in her mind the image of Miesha's elbow, so I'd say she's gonna tap INSTANTLY