Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 31-Jan-17, 03:22
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,194 Times in 794 Posts
Default Re: Shevchenko-Peņa (no odds available yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoswrap [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I have a different opinion on Julianna. I think losing this fight the way she did has to be a major blow to her confidence. Even Dana White said if the fight stays up right Svenchenko wins, if it goes to the ground Pena wins. If Svenchenko would have won by strikes at least she could walk away thinking she has to get better at striking and then maybe she can beat her. But to lose at your own game like that has to be a blow. Svenchenko didn't even have to use her striking.
"Even Dana White"? Look, Dana's not who you look to for an overview of a fighter's skills at the best of times but in this case, even the experts were fooled, as seen in this episode of Rogan's podcast where he and guests are watching the fight. Around the 10:00 mark Eddie Bravo, world renowned jiu jitsu expert starts analyzing Shevchenko's armbar attempt and decides it's not going to work. A few seconds later, it works. Leads to a pretty interesting discussion but my point is Shevchenko has been mischaracterized as mainly a striker. She's just starting to get known now, so not a lot of people are familiar with her background.

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

I'm not sure how much of an excuse that is for MMA journalists. I found out quite a bit about her just by searching around a bit so likely they didn't do much research. For instance, in Ariel Helwani's interview with Valentina on the MMA Hour today, he seemed amazed to find out she won dance contests and shooting competitions. He started talking about how well-rounded she is but completely missed the fact she has a degree in film, her planned future career. That's all going to change now. The UFC won't make the mistake of only promoting one fighter again when she fights Nunes, so people will get to know Shevchenko.

Anyway, I don't know how Pena and her camp regarded Shevchenko, maybe they knew better than the MMA media about her complete game. Media tends to label fighters too easily as strikers or grapplers so I don't think that's going to affect Pena much. Besides, she's proved she's pretty darn resilient so nothing's going to hold her back. I actually like Pena as a fighter but she's yet to reach her potential, IMO. She still brings too much of her hot-head personality into the cage. You could really see the difference in mental poise between her and Shevchenko.

Added after 20 minutes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated G [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I don't see the embarrassment. You've got to promote your fights. Julianna has the right personality to do that. Valentina really doesn't, but she's a good responder for the ones who do. So that dynamic is what creates the interest. Julianna doesn't need to talk less, she needs to fight more. That's how you learn not to make mistakes.

Shayna was great for her time, a pioneer for the women. Now she lost her leg speed. She got older; that's the way it goes. She's still great for pro wrestling though!
I'm not underestimating Shevchenko in the promotion department, either. After watching some of those shows from Peru, she can be pretty fiery, at least in Spanish. Her English is better than functional and will only improve the more time she spends in the US. But the other thing is, she's smart and unflappable. I saw a post fight interview where she was talking with her hands a bit and wound up slapping the recorder out of reporter's hand. She didn't react, calmly finished her answer before turning to the guy and apologizing, very sincerely and politely. She then turned back to the camera and made a joke, which got a big laugh.

I think she'll force MMA media to promote her in a different way. As she says, she's not only a lifelong martial artist but a person who is completely comfortable using the philosophy of martial arts as her template. One of the things I recall her saying is "I'm so happy I have this life." So you're never going to see her trash-talking her opponents to any great degree but look at how she dealt with the in-cage confrontation with Nunes. When Amanda grabbed the mic and started going off on her, Shevchenko threw her head back and roared with laughter, then gestured to the crowd to get them drowning Nunes out. That was handled like a boss. Then she went and charmed the ass off the whole place with her dancing. Promotion-wise, I have no doubt Valentina will capture people's interest. It's already happening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C3dl5_pWcAA28C7.jpg (78.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg C3TsiNWXUAEGy1M.jpg (53.2 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by brooksie; 31-Jan-17 at 03:22.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brooksie For This Useful Post:
Old 31-Jan-17, 19:44
brooksie
This message has been deleted by brooksie. Reason: video fail
Old 31-Jan-17, 19:47
brooksie
This message has been deleted by brooksie.
Old 02-Feb-17, 00:31
Points: 66,180, Level: 100 Points: 66,180, Level: 100 Points: 66,180, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Thanked 20,714 Times in 964 Posts

I agree about Shevchenko. Even if they don't always acknowledge it, media expect women fighters to talk "loud" and it's easier to promote a style of fighting against another...but a competition isn't always that predictable.

Valentina seems focused on herself, not playing a role and she has the will to move forward without being carried away by her last victories.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maitsek For This Useful Post:
Old 04-Feb-17, 22:37
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,194 Times in 794 Posts

One of the more in-depth, revealing interviews so far with Shevchenko:

Something I noticed was at the end when the interviewer wanted her to show him some dance moves, you can see he doesn't really have a plan for this and it's Shevchenko who does the professional thing by a)holding onto the mic and b) taking control and turning it into a salvageable moment by creating a quick lesson focusing on foot movement, no arms (because she remembered to keep the mic). I think those people who are saying she's not marketable, won't be as good at media as Rousey or Tate are in for another surprise. She's good at this kind of stuff, has a ton of TV experience and strong sense of presentation. She knows what she's doing, as far as media goes. No worries there from me.

This is a much less professional interview, typical of a lot of MMA "journalism" with the predictable questions and the obligatory "show me something" segment, but still worth a look:

Last edited by brooksie; 04-Feb-17 at 23:00.
Old 15-Feb-17, 23:32
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts