Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 31-Jan-15, 19:47
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts
Default Re: More Realistic Type Videos

Can I call a bearhug an "arm scissor"?

The Following User Says Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 31-Jan-15, 19:56
Producer
Points: 99,552, Level: 100 Points: 99,552, Level: 100 Points: 99,552, Level: 100
Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 11,350 Times in 1,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Can I call a bearhug an "arm scissor"?

Nice one! I'm sorry, I just can't resist this (shout out to @[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] )

I was first tempted to say "sure!" but then I considered the mechanics. Only if you are extending the arms would it really be an "arm scissor" - like trying to bring your elbows closer together, lengthening your arms, reaching your hands away from you (triceps, chest, push) But in the usual bearhug, you are pulling the person in toward you, bending the arms (elbow flexion), with your hands moving closer toward you and your elbows moving away from each other (biceps, back, pull).

Relative to the person performing the movement: arm scissors compresses from the "sides" ("right-left coming together") while bearhug compresses from the "front-back."

This is a great echo to the triangle/scissors discussion Nice, Stymie!
The Following User Says Thank You to DiabloNYC For This Useful Post:
Old 31-Jan-15, 22:13
Banned
Points: 16,177, Level: 55 Points: 16,177, Level: 55 Points: 16,177, Level: 55
Activity: 44.1% Activity: 44.1% Activity: 44.1%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedwrestlingnyc [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I say this because the original statement in question was:

I think you'd be hard pressed indeed to find a majority of people who'd agree that a triangle choke is a scissors by another name. Although figure-fouring the legs around the head may be called a figure-four headscissors, it is not a legitimate triangle choke.

Can you cite a source showing where a triangle choke is referred to as a scissors?

I could enumerate the differences (both in grappling rules and in physiological terms) if people are interested. But it might lead to a longish post

Grappling as far as I know is a martial art. In the context of wrestling terminology, what is considered a triangle is a called a figurefour headscissors.That is what I was refering to, I didn`t intend to give out the impression that I was saying that a triangle is called a headscissors in martial arts circles and neither is it what I said.

In response to the bearhug joke; a scissors is a term that implies use of the legs. In wrestling a bearhug with the legs is called a bodyscissors

In a wrestling context (just to clarify in advance what I`m saying), in that context the term "scissor" is generic with many different variations that include the triangle choke.

Here is a link to a martial art forum discussion on the topic. Maybe they will have a little more crediblity with you then I do.

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

Last edited by bruce911187; 31-Jan-15 at 22:31.
Old 31-Jan-15, 22:34
Producer
Points: 99,552, Level: 100 Points: 99,552, Level: 100 Points: 99,552, Level: 100
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce911187 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Grappling as far as I know is a martial art. In the context of wrestling terminology, what is considered a triangle is a called a figurefour headscissors.That is what I was refering to, I didn`t intend to give out the impression that I was saying that a triangle is called a headscissors in martial arts circles and neither is it what I said

You did say: "A triangle choke is scissors by another name."

That statement would mean that a triangle choke is a scissors. It is just being called by another name. Like the Lockdown is the Scorpion by another name (two names for the same variation of half guard). Or, more mundanely, "sneakers" (US) are "trainers" (UK) by another name.

So, you are saying that a triangle choke (the "sankaku-jime" in Japanese and judo) is a scissors (the "Do-jime" in Japanese), is that correct?

Sankaku-jime is a Do-jime by another name???? Just to be clear, that is what you meant by that above statement, yes? Because it DOES give the impression that you were saying a triangle choke is "a headscissors by another name."

@[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] @[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Old 31-Jan-15, 22:53
Producer
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce911187 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
In a wrestling context (just to clarify in advance what I`m saying), in that context the term "scissor" is generic with many different variations that include the triangle choke.
So, with this statement, you are saying that "scissor" is an umbrella term that includes the triangle choke? Really, a safer umbrella category would be "choke hold using the legs." Because bending terminology like you're implying will lead to a lot of misunderstandings...

Triangle choke, figure-four scissors ("triangle scissors"), and scissors are all different positions which have different names for a reason: so we can have the most clear idea of what we're discussing at any given time. A related example: If I call a "single-leg Boston Crab" simply a "Boston Crab," people wouldn't expect to see a single-leg Boston Crab by default (and some might get miffed). If I talk about a "Scissors Video" that is actually nothing but Triangle Chokes without a single actual leg-extending scissorhold, well, that wouldn't be very good at all. Do you see what I'm getting at?

Quote:
Here is a link to a martial art forum discussion on the topic. Maybe they will have a little more crediblity with you then I do.

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I'm sorry, but that thread isn't something I can take seriously in the context of sport grappling or wrestling. ("If a strike to the nads while the opponent wears trousers can have an affect, the same thing applies to the clitoris, too" and "Here i was imagining decent headscissors, not something that retarded. Just pick her up and piledrive her.")

It doesn't come across as very academic, technical, or invested in discussing terminology (as we are doing here). Furthermore, it is discussing using striking and biting. I'm sorry, but that thread is not a very reliable reference source for this wrestling/grappling discussion.

EDIT:

Also, it's just screaming at me - why do you feel that referencing a Krav Maga forum is more relevant than referencing anything from judo, jiujitsu, submission grappling, or amateur/freestyle wrestling?

For all that you say you don't like "martial arts", why are you using Krav Maga (of all things!) as a reference in an argument you are making "in the context of wrestling"? That's so wild!

Whew, ok, enough derailing from me!!

Last edited by DiabloNYC; 01-Feb-15 at 00:07. Reason: combining 2 posts into 1 and cleaning.
Old 31-Jan-15, 23:11
DiabloNYC
This message has been deleted by DiabloNYC. Reason: Combined into above post
Old 31-Jan-15, 23:21
Producer
Points: 30,120, Level: 76 Points: 30,120, Level: 76 Points: 30,120, Level: 76
Activity: 22.9% Activity: 22.9% Activity: 22.9%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,836 Times in 527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristmasJones [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I wish there were more videos that seemed "realistic." As in, a real wrestling competition between an evenly matched fit girl and a fit guy where the girl wears something she actually would wear for a competitive wrestling match, and they both try to win.

It seems like the majority of videos feature girls topless or in bikinis, or even lingerie, most or all of the action is scripted, etc.

The ideal video for me features what would happen if a fit, athletic girl you'd run into at a gym takes on a similarly sized but fit guy. Completely authentic wrestling action with girls who wear singlets, or athletic wear, or even the one piece bathing suits they used to wear in DWW.

Any recommendations that fit this criteria?
This again? I hear this quite a bit on this forum, when in reality those videos are made, and they aren't as popular as the stuff you are asking for. How bout you buy a camera, find some girls and show us how it is done?
Old 31-Jan-15, 23:27
Producer
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeriSpectrum [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Wow, so this was an interesting thread. I don't think there's anything wrong with any genre. To each their own, as it goes. I've done every single aspect of competitive and that includes what you're a fan of, and many times in a private setting.
Are you Bruce that used to run ECNWC or whatever it was? Just a thought.
Putting any woman down for the style of fighting she enjoys is asinine as well as shameful.
The public has eroticized the underground wrestling scene. Cock fighting is illegal, and that's what you seem to be speaking of....women's cock fighting.
Well said Keri, which again begs the question why don't they pick up a camera and show us how it is done?
Old 31-Jan-15, 23:34
Producer
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristmasJones [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

It seems like the majority of videos feature girls topless or in bikinis, or even lingerie, most or all of the action is scripted, etc.
This is what got me intrigued the whole lingerie comment... So I should stop doing one of my popular videos cause one guy on a forum, got angry and wants to see a girl in a singlet?
Old 01-Feb-15, 00:21
Banned
Points: 11,882, Level: 47 Points: 11,882, Level: 47 Points: 11,882, Level: 47
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

If you want to watch real wrestling, with girls, you will now find on the Internet more than you will ever have time to watch, including the 50+ videos of mine on You Tube (all free, by the way).
Old 01-Feb-15, 03:14
Banned
Points: 16,177, Level: 55 Points: 16,177, Level: 55 Points: 16,177, Level: 55
Activity: 44.1% Activity: 44.1% Activity: 44.1%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedwrestlingnyc [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
You did say: "A triangle choke is scissors by another name."

That statement would mean that a triangle choke is a scissors. It is just being called by another name. Like the Lockdown is the Scorpion by another name (two names for the same variation of half guard). Or, more mundanely, "sneakers" (US) are "trainers" (UK) by another name.

So, you are saying that a triangle choke (the "sankaku-jime" in Japanese and judo) is a scissors (the "Do-jime" in Japanese), is that correct?

Sankaku-jime is a Do-jime by another name???? Just to be clear, that is what you meant by that above statement, yes? Because it DOES give the impression that you were saying a triangle choke is "a headscissors by another name."

@[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] @[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
A triangle choke in a generic sense is a headscissors and I speak that to you in the language of wrestling terminology.

Based on past conversation I would have thought you to be better then this petty game playing with my words. Kinda lame.