Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > The Pioneers

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 07-Jul-17, 22:26
Points: 3,661, Level: 25 Points: 3,661, Level: 25 Points: 3,661, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Default Re: Rest in peace, Judell...

very nice homage, R.I.P.
Old 08-Jul-17, 01:04
Points: 12,856, Level: 49 Points: 12,856, Level: 49 Points: 12,856, Level: 49
Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,106 Posts

Nice thread and some nice posts.

I remember her, but I don't remember her well. I signed up for AmFem somewhere around 1984 or 85. She was still around, but so were several other companies.

A question, just cause my memory is off. Judell had her own video company still around in the late 80s/early 90s. Did one of her girls travel to canada and get into a match against a trained kick-boxer. Lorena Undershoot? Or was that another company? I think it was Judells. I got a couple catalogs but I think it was around the time she began to close up shop. There was a fairly long write-up of that bout in the catalog.

I like that she put out her home number. Those were different times. I remember calling Ziggy once to set up a match and her mom picked up, and mom called her daughter by her real name, saying something like M*******, it's for Ziggy". Mom seemed pretty cool with the whole thing and I learned Ziggy's first name, not that it was a big secret or anything.

I think I'd have fallen for Judell if I'd found the scene in the 70s, like I fell for Robin in the early 90s, when I was finally able to afford a few sessions.

Last edited by LicensetoKill; 08-Jul-17 at 01:05. Reason: Typo - kitten likes my laptop too much
The Following User Says Thank You to LicensetoKill For This Useful Post:
Old 08-Jul-17, 02:22
Points: 20,043, Level: 61 Points: 20,043, Level: 61 Points: 20,043, Level: 61
Activity: 23.8% Activity: 23.8% Activity: 23.8%
Last Achievements

I was a little slow to get into the VCR era because of financial issues. But in 1984 I landed a job that would provide some disposable income. It required leaving California for the Midwest. On the way out of San Francisco, I stopped at a Chinese video store and bought a tape I had been eyeing covetously but didn’t have a machine to play on: Bruce Kung Fu Girls. (Don’t ask me to parse that title.)

When I got my first paycheck, I IMMEDIATELY rented a Post Office box and ordered my first mail-order tapes --- from Judell.

Having a job proved worth the work.

At that moment, I couldn’t even afford a color television. I used my old 12-inch black and white. Friends were amused and amazed that I got a VCR before I had color. But they had no way of knowing what I valued most.

Such was the role that Judell played in some lives. Few of us have had more powerful – or more enjoyable – impact.

Thank you to Judell, her wresters and her family.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cashley216 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-Jul-17, 08:00
Points: 3,637, Level: 25 Points: 3,637, Level: 25 Points: 3,637, Level: 25
Last Achievements

She meant so much to so many. RIP.
Old 08-Jul-17, 13:01
Points: 1,338, Level: 14 Points: 1,338, Level: 14 Points: 1,338, Level: 14
Last Achievements

Judell was a true pioneer of women of all ages being able to develop and showcase their talents in boxing and wrestling. May she rest in peace while her family and fans are comforted in the knowledge of knowing her and enjoying what she did for the genre.
The Following User Says Thank You to SluggingSean For This Useful Post:
Old 08-Jul-17, 23:00
Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LicensetoKill [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Nice thread and some nice posts.

I remember her, but I don't remember her well. I signed up for AmFem somewhere around 1984 or 85. She was still around, but so were several other companies.

A question, just cause my memory is off. Judell had her own video company still around in the late 80s/early 90s. Did one of her girls travel to canada and get into a match against a trained kick-boxer. Lorena Undershoot? Or was that another company? I think it was Judells. I got a couple catalogs but I think it was around the time she began to close up shop. There was a fairly long write-up of that bout in the catalog.
Yeah, Jeanne Hunter. She was overmatched in the pros. Very pretty woman. Had a mixed match against an average joe; it looked quite competitive and legit, but of course that's hard to tell.

Of all the early companies, Judell's was the one that showed the most respect for women competing in a genuine sporting environment. She was class all the way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rated G For This Useful Post:
Old 09-Jul-17, 04:07
Points: 14,900, Level: 52 Points: 14,900, Level: 52 Points: 14,900, Level: 52
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,175 Times in 390 Posts

I must say, I'm embarrassed that I don't know who she is. I must be a bit younger than many of you on this thread, as I don't know who she is at all. I'm aware of some of the trailblazers like Joan Wise, Diana the Valkyrie, etc, but this name just isn't familiar to me.

In any case, it's obvious from the posts here that she had a tremendous influence on our community/industry, so RIP. I'll have to look into her work.
Old 09-Jul-17, 15:17
Points: 12,856, Level: 49 Points: 12,856, Level: 49 Points: 12,856, Level: 49
Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schatten_PhD [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I must say, I'm embarrassed that I don't know who she is. I must be a bit younger than many of you on this thread, as I don't know who she is at all. I'm aware of some of the trailblazers like Joan Wise, Diana the Valkyrie, etc, but this name just isn't familiar to me.

In any case, it's obvious from the posts here that she had a tremendous influence on our community/industry, so RIP. I'll have to look into her work.
It's not too surprising. I began to buy videos in the late 80s I think. Judell's was one of the companies I wrote to for a catalog. She wrote good descriptions under her videos but from memory, Bill Wick & C&B had better pictures, so I ordered my first videos from those 2 companies but Judell's videos were strongly considered.

Back then videos were expensive and I was just out of college and working temp, so . . . I bought maybe 6 videos early on in my first 2 years. She didn't seem that interested in competing with the new companies by the late 80s. I remember a letter saying she was going to stop sending out catalogs or something to that effect. I imagine the catalog sales was more break-even than profit for her, but I'm just guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated G [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Yeah, Jeanne Hunter. She was overmatched in the pros. Very pretty woman. Had a mixed match against an average joe; it looked quite competitive and legit, but of course that's hard to tell.

Of all the early companies, Judell's was the one that showed the most respect for women competing in a genuine sporting environment. She was class all the way.
Thanks for that. I thought that was Judell and yes, Jeanne was pretty. I found a video of her on Youtube vs Jill Monroe. Two 80s hotties.

I'm guessing it's an old enough video to share - hope so. Hope this isn't too off topic either, but Jeanne being one of Judell's girls, I hope it's OK.

The Following User Says Thank You to LicensetoKill For This Useful Post:
Old 09-Jul-17, 17:00
Points: 1,110, Level: 13 Points: 1,110, Level: 13 Points: 1,110, Level: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zweig [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
yesterday night judell dulong passed away peacefully.

I can't even begin to express how i feel... We have lost a legend...

Judell was a true pioneer of female submission wrestling. She paved the way for everyone, both in terms of bringing legitimacy and real skill to female wrestling, as well as being the first to organize such a large-scale production. If you were interested in the scene in the 70s and 80s, you know that judell and her camp amazon (and later montana and washington productions) were the best providers of such content in the market.

Through her prolific work, intelligence and her personality judell has gained a massive fanbase in the community that is growing to this day. Over 40 years have passed since judell, together with her then-husband, started filming, and over 50 since she started wrestling, and to this day we talk about her. To this day we remember the undefeated female submission wrestler, and share and cherish her work. There is no doubt that her legacy is alive and will live on beyond us, inspiring many on their own personal journeys...

Rest in peace, judell dulong...

Forum, please send your thoughts and love to judell's granddaughter, jacqy (@[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]), who was taking care of judell, as well as her family, either by posting here or messaging her directly.

If you are new to the forum, i'd like to let you know that two years ago we completed an extensive interview with judell, where she speaks about her life and work, retelling her story and that of camp amazon. [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register].

Attaching photos from various times in judell's life.
i entered a whole new world because of her and my exposure and my newfound respect for women
rip judell you made you mark
The Following User Says Thank You to bizguy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-Jul-17, 21:25
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LicensetoKill [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Thanks for that. I thought that was Judell and yes, Jeanne was pretty. I found a video of her on Youtube vs Jill Monroe. Two 80s hotties.

I'm guessing it's an old enough video to share - hope so. Hope this isn't too off topic either, but Jeanne being one of Judell's girls, I hope it's OK.
Ah, Jeanne Hunter. I think Jill and her were from the 90s actually. I remember she had struck out on her own in the latter 90s, was (or was going to be) doing sessions as well as videos. She had a match with the famous Monica over in England I heard. But I read she injured her back, and that may be why we've heard nothing about her since.

Tags
judell dulong