Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

View Poll Results: Who will be winner?
Ronda Rousey 158 61.48%
Jean Claude Van Damme 99 38.52%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-Dec-16, 19:49
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,207 Times in 794 Posts
Default Re: Ronda Rousey: Official Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated G [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I see your point, but this is not hating, its fact. Do you really think that Dana wanted to make deRandamie and Holly for at 145 for Brooklyn? Of course not. He wanted Cyborg. And he asked her twice. Gave her 2 months notice too. And she declined, saying it wasn't enough time. The fact is if you're given two months notice in MMA to make a weight class and you can't, then you don't belong in that weight class. In fact it might even be too dangerous for you to be fighting in that class.

So Cyborg has zero to complain about here. But if her whining now makes for a more lucrative fight in the future, then it's understandable. But she'd better be ready to embrace that heel role that she's bringing on herself now.
I think you're skipping over one important fact and that was the damage she did to her body from the cuts to 140 the UFC forced her into. She turned down the fights because the UFC wouldn't wait for her to be ready, which she said would be in March. If you follow MMA journalism, the consensus seems to be there were two factors. One was the UFC wanting to send her a message that they wait for no one and second they needed to do something to bolster the Feb card, since they were forced to cancel the one in January. The thinking is they are under serious financial pressure to make good on the huge loan they took to buy the UFC. So, I think there are other factors that you're leaving out of your analysis. You also continue to use words like "complain" and "whine" which indicates a lack of objectivity here.
Old 17-Dec-16, 23:41
Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I think you're skipping over one important fact and that was the damage she did to her body from the cuts to 140 the UFC forced her into. She turned down the fights because the UFC wouldn't wait for her to be ready, which she said would be in March. If you follow MMA journalism, the consensus seems to be there were two factors. One was the UFC wanting to send her a message that they wait for no one and second they needed to do something to bolster the Feb card, since they were forced to cancel the one in January. The thinking is they are under serious financial pressure to make good on the huge loan they took to buy the UFC. So, I think there are other factors that you're leaving out of your analysis. You also continue to use words like "complain" and "whine" which indicates a lack of objectivity here.
Except, the UFC didn't force her to get down to 140. When she signed her UFC contract, the idea was she'd do a few fights for Invicta at 145, do a fight at 140, and then fight Ronda or Holly at 135. That's 135, not 140, and she agreed to it. Now she's found out that this was impossible for her, so she's trying to change the narrative to get them to fight at her weight instead. Because of the money involved, maybe this works, but she wasn't forced. She simply couldn't live up to her agreement.

As to the whining, I saw her interviews on The Herd and Speak for Yourself. She did nothing but complain that UFC wasn't getting her the big fights at her weight. So now they do, and she still declines. You're right about the Brooklyn card. It's a big one for them, and they do need to cover that interest payment. That's why they wanted this fight then, and not when it's convenient for Cyborg.

Last edited by Rated G; 17-Dec-16 at 23:42. Reason: Spelling
Old 18-Dec-16, 02:23
Administrator
Points: 869,632, Level: 100 Points: 869,632, Level: 100 Points: 869,632, Level: 100
Activity: 33.3% Activity: 33.3% Activity: 33.3%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,839 Times in 9,936 Posts

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Old 18-Dec-16, 02:58
Points: 97,743, Level: 100 Points: 97,743, Level: 100 Points: 97,743, Level: 100
Activity: 47.6% Activity: 47.6% Activity: 47.6%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,111 Times in 4,078 Posts

Old 18-Dec-16, 05:32
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated G [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Except, the UFC didn't force her to get down to 140. When she signed her UFC contract, the idea was she'd do a few fights for Invicta at 145, do a fight at 140, and then fight Ronda or Holly at 135. That's 135, not 140, and she agreed to it. Now she's found out that this was impossible for her, so she's trying to change the narrative to get them to fight at her weight instead. Because of the money involved, maybe this works, but she wasn't forced. She simply couldn't live up to her agreement.

As to the whining, I saw her interviews on The Herd and Speak for Yourself. She did nothing but complain that UFC wasn't getting her the big fights at her weight. So now they do, and she still declines. You're right about the Brooklyn card. It's a big one for them, and they do need to cover that interest payment. That's why they wanted this fight then, and not when it's convenient for Cyborg.
Fair enough, I guess. I will say that I don't think she always gets the best advice from her people. I know her Twitter account isn't her, it's them and it gets pretty whacky sometimes.

Somehow it seems her fate is always tied to others. Now the rumour is Holm and Rousey may fight next, if they both win their upcoming fights. I'm not sure what happens, belt-wise, when two champs from different weight classes fight. At any rate, that would keep Cyborg on ice for even longer.
Old 18-Dec-16, 09:54
Points: 18,145, Level: 58 Points: 18,145, Level: 58 Points: 18,145, Level: 58
Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Fair enough, I guess. I will say that I don't think she always gets the best advice from her people. I know her Twitter account isn't her, it's them and it gets pretty whacky sometimes.

Somehow it seems her fate is always tied to others. Now the rumour is Holm and Rousey may fight next, if they both win their upcoming fights. I'm not sure what happens, belt-wise, when two champs from different weight classes fight. At any rate, that would keep Cyborg on ice for even longer.
I don't think we will ever see Rousey Cyborg fight. I'm not sure Ronda will beat Amanda but if she does I'm sure she will want Holly next to avenge her only loss. Then I think she would have one last fight against the number one contender to satisfy those that said they should have have been the one to fight Ronda first before Holly.
Old 22-Jan-17, 00:36
Points: 97,743, Level: 100 Points: 97,743, Level: 100 Points: 97,743, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Report: Travis Browne Ditches Edmond Tarverdyan’s Gym in Favor of Black House
By Fernando Quiles Jr. on January 20, 2017

Travis Browne is undergoing a change of scenery.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight appears to have left Edmond Tarverdyan’s Glendale Fighting Club for Black House. UFC Insiders reported the news.

“Hapa’s” girlfriend and once dominant women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey is currently training at Tarverdyan’s gym. There’s been no word on if she’ll follow Browne to Black House should she decide to continue fighting.

Tarverdyan has been under a heavy amount of scrutiny. Following Rousey’s blowout loss to Holly Holm at UFC 193, many criticized her stand-up and blamed Tarverdyan’s coaching. Even “Rowdy’s” mother urged her daughter to leave Glendale Fighting Club.

Things didn’t get much better for Tarverdyan as he was suspended by the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) for not disclosing his prior arrest back in 2010. He was also hit with a $5,000 fine. The suspension lasted three months.

Now more than ever, Tarverdyan is being blasted by fans. Amanda Nunes destroyed Rousey in 48 seconds and it didn’t look like “Rowdy” made any improvements to her stand-up. Her lack of head movement, defense and awkward footwork were apparent.

Browne will be facing Derrick Lewis at UFC 208. The event will be held inside the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY on Feb. 11.
Old 23-Jan-17, 21:57
Banned
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Report: Travis Browne Ditches Edmond Tarverdyan’s Gym in Favor of Black House
By Fernando Quiles Jr. on January 20, 2017

Travis Browne is undergoing a change of scenery.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight appears to have left Edmond Tarverdyan’s Glendale Fighting Club for Black House. UFC Insiders reported the news.

“Hapa’s” girlfriend and once dominant women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey is currently training at Tarverdyan’s gym. There’s been no word on if she’ll follow Browne to Black House should she decide to continue fighting.

Tarverdyan has been under a heavy amount of scrutiny. Following Rousey’s blowout loss to Holly Holm at UFC 193, many criticized her stand-up and blamed Tarverdyan’s coaching. Even “Rowdy’s” mother urged her daughter to leave Glendale Fighting Club.

Things didn’t get much better for Tarverdyan as he was suspended by the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) for not disclosing his prior arrest back in 2010. He was also hit with a $5,000 fine. The suspension lasted three months.

Now more than ever, Tarverdyan is being blasted by fans. Amanda Nunes destroyed Rousey in 48 seconds and it didn’t look like “Rowdy” made any improvements to her stand-up. Her lack of head movement, defense and awkward footwork were apparent.

Browne will be facing Derrick Lewis at UFC 208. The event will be held inside the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY on Feb. 11.
Interesting. Rashad Evans told Ariel Helwani last week the team is basically disbanded, but then there's this:

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Old 23-Jan-17, 22:17
Last Achievements

Bas Rutten said he thinks Travis leaving GFC could be a sign Ronda's gonna retire.
Old 23-Jan-17, 23:48
Administrator
Points: 869,632, Level: 100 Points: 869,632, Level: 100 Points: 869,632, Level: 100
Activity: 33.3% Activity: 33.3% Activity: 33.3%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,839 Times in 9,936 Posts

stymie, it was a one-time visit, as the Instagram post of the gym owner said. I don't think Travis has moved there (yet).
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]