Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

View Poll Results: Rousey vs Nunes. Who will win?
Ronda Rousey 47 59.49%
Amanda Nunes 32 40.51%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-Jan-17, 05:55
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts
Default Re: Ronda Rousey vs Amanda Nunes

The Following User Says Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-Jan-17, 08:04
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Old 05-Jan-17, 14:27
Points: 5,775, Level: 32 Points: 5,775, Level: 32 Points: 5,775, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,259 Times in 314 Posts

I don't like Ronda but I don't mind her not doing the media. Being more of a boxing fan I already find it ridiculous how the UFC is pushing their fighters around to do the media, attend pointless press conferences, sign posters etc. as if they were employees. In fact, they are in some way, but only get the negative aspects of being an employee (having to do what your boss wants basically) while not getting the positive aspects of it (like regular salary).

In boxing, the fighters can do whatever they want and if some big star like Floyd doesn't feel like doing media he doesn't have to. This is also the reason why Conor wants to go into boxing or at least wants to be treated like a boxing star.
The Following User Says Thank You to al89 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-Jan-17, 15:49
Banned
Points: 1,479, Level: 15 Points: 1,479, Level: 15 Points: 1,479, Level: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvorn777 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I thought I heard they would not allow male vs female mma fights according to the states athletic commission. WTF?
Good! Because when it comes to mixed matches, only the girls ever win. Even when they lose, they still win.
Old 05-Jan-17, 20:45
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,689 Times in 9,926 Posts

The tide is turning. With so much ruthless criticism on the Internet, and some media saying she was never really good, and only a media creation, people are now becoming protective of Ronda.

Here's a tweet from Cat:

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following User Says Thank You to Naji For This Useful Post:
Old 05-Jan-17, 21:04
Points: 5,775, Level: 32 Points: 5,775, Level: 32 Points: 5,775, Level: 32

Thanked 1,259 Times in 314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweig [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Here's a tweet from Cat:

She just wants to get an undeserved title shot against Nunes and tries to create some sort of storyline to sell it.

She is in no position to fight Amanda right now, the winner of Pena vs Shevchenko clearly has the next shot. Raquel Pennington is also way ahead of her.

Sara McMann is on a two win streak so I guess she has a better case as well as Cat's last win was two and a half years ago.
Old 05-Jan-17, 21:43
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweig [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The tide is turning. With so much ruthless criticism on the Internet, and some media saying she was never really good, and only a media creation, people are now becoming protective of Ronda.

Here's a tweet from Cat:

Wow. I picture Dana rubbing his hands together

Looks like WMMA isn't dead after all!

Added after 14 minutes:

Added after 9 minutes:

Last edited by stymie; 05-Jan-17 at 21:39.
Old 05-Jan-17, 23:37
Points: 15,348, Level: 53 Points: 15,348, Level: 53 Points: 15,348, Level: 53
Last Achievements

Femdom Re: Ronda Rousey vs Amanda Nunes

Quote:

Here's a tweet from Cat:

I think Cat always kind of liked Ronda. I remember awhile back when Ronda and Meisha were feuding Cat saying she'd much rather hang out with Ronda.

I remember there was an incident where Meisha's boyfriend purposely elbowed Cat (possibly at their weigh in but I'm not sure about that part) and Cat was furious. Then she saw Meisha and her boyfriend looking at her from across the room and laughing about it.

Last edited by Ricoswrap; 06-Jan-17 at 01:24.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ricoswrap For This Useful Post:
Old 06-Jan-17, 01:17
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,194 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoswrap [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I think Cat always kind of liked Ronda. I remember awhile back when Ronda and Meisha were feuding Cat saying she'd much rather hang out with Ronda.
Lots of dumb stuff but the most ridiculous is the idea Rousey was never anything to begin with, a media creation and so on. This podcast is a new discovery for me. This episode starts with one of the most intelligent and in-depth discussions of the fight. Plenty of time is given to both women's strengths and weaknesses:

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

Good interview with the champ:

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Old 06-Jan-17, 06:09
Last Achievements

Opinion: The Two Types of Defeat
By Eric Stinton Jan 2, 2017

The new school year in Korea begins with the new calendar year. As such, I got to know my new batch of students this week. Introductory classes are always boring and a little dry, since they mostly exist to learn names, highlight important dates and go over expectations. However, the first day is when I explain the theme of my class, which is really what I try to make the theme of my life in general: to embrace failure. It’s a typical teacher truism, and I’m aware of how cheesy it can sound, but I genuinely believe it. We are, after all, human, and failure is inevitable. What matters is not avoiding failure but developing the ability to learn from it.

UFC 207 on Friday provided two case studies in how to fail and how now to fail. Especially for the “New Year-New Me” resolution crowd, the ways in which former champions Dominick Cruz and Ronda Rousey dealt with their defeats are instructive.

Before I get too deep in the weeds, props are due to the winners of those fights. I was among the many who, having watched and reviewed every minute of Cody Garbrandt’s Ultimate Fighting Championship career, assumed his path to victory was singular and improbable, that he needed a big knockout blow to walk home with the belt. Instead, he showcased a multi-faceted game plan and executed it near-perfectly. It may sound odd to say this given his in-cage shenanigans, but Garbrandt was much more mature than I gave him credit for. He was patient and technical, and he capitalized on his athletic advantages because of it. He got the better of most exchanges, dictated the range and made Cruz play into his game for the majority of the fight. It was a stunning, breakthrough performance for someone who I, admittedly, otherwise wrote off.

As for Amanda Nunes, her performance wasn’t as much of a surprise as Garbrandt’s, but it was no less spectacular for it. “The Lioness” didn’t simply overwhelm Rousey with physicality and athleticism; she relegated the former champion to lower technical tier. There are no doubts about Nunes being the superior striker and overall fighter, and it’s not even close. Now that we are a few days removed from the fight, it’s easy to look at the way she demolished Rousey as some predetermined inevitability; and since only one of their combined 14 UFC fights leading up to UFC 207 had gone to the judges, it felt like a safe bet that it was going to end quickly. Still, there were very real question marks about how Rousey was going to perform, and even though the worst of our suspicions were confirmed on fight night, Nunes also exceeded expectations by walking through the most dominant female champion the UFC has ever had.

Both the men’s and women’s bantamweight champions had big, possibly career-defining wins, but the obverse sides of those fights are worth exploring.

As of right now, Cruz is still the greatest and most accomplished bantamweight in the history of the sport. It’s a young history, of course, but his achievements are still impressive. Since his debut at 135 pounds in 2008, Cruz went undefeated with a slew of title-fight wins in World Extreme Cagefighting and the UFC, got injured and sat on the shelf for extended periods of time on two separate occasions and still came back to reclaim his title and defend it. It’s a remarkable story, and it helps to explain why the first thing he said in the post-fight presser was, “What was tough about [the fight]?” He explained: “Loss is part of life. If you don’t have loss, you don’t grow. This isn’t tough; this is life.” Each of those sentences individually is cheesy and cliché -- and absolutely accurate.

Cruz showed up to face questions after his first loss in nearly a decade. He made no excuses in evaluating his performance and his opponent, and he did so in the same cold analytical style that makes his pre-fight trash talk a treasure to behold. He said that whatever hate he gets from fans is both expected and inconsequential: “I’ve definitely had a lot of dislike thrown at me, but I also feel a lot of love.” The type of honest reflection he vocalized -- to say the belt is important to him and that he loved holding it, yet he’s still capable of being happy without it -- is rare and refreshing, and it shows that Cruz is a levelheaded and remarkably adjusted human being on top of being a phenomenal fighter.

The virtues of Cruz are easier to appreciate when they’re contrasted with the flaws of Rousey. In the year of her absence following the loss against Holly Holm, her focus was not on the abundant love she received from media and fans but on the hate. It felt as if she was genuinely confused that being a huge star and crossover celebrity invited both and that she was unaware that very few fighters have been as widely celebrated as she has been. Before, during and after the fight against Nunes, she barely showed up for the people who have been and always will be in her corner. Saying nothing speaks volumes, especially when it actively obstructed the UFC’s ability to promote Nunes. Instead of passing the torch, she stomped her feet.

The presence of Rousey leading up to UFC 207 was like that of a black hole; the gravity of not being there -- for media and promotion, at least -- sucked all the attention towards herself. Granted, that attention would have been there even if she was in front of the cameras, but at least then her star power could have rubbed off on the other fighters on the card. It was frustrating, though not at all surprising, that her unwillingness to speak to anyone continued after the fight. It was even more frustrating since it distracted a lot of people from the storylines that do matter: how Garbrandt shared his victory with leukemia survivor Maddux Maple, Nunes’ breakthrough moment and, of course, Cruz’s graceful acceptance of defeat. Whatever Rousey’s New Year’s resolutions may be, she has much to learn from the other three fighters in the main and co-main event.

The inevitability of loss doesn’t make it sting less. It’s hard to imagine what it feels like to invest every fiber of effort into accomplishing something, only to come up short. To see people celebrate your failure compounds that pain. When you see yourself as a flat character, it’s difficult to reconcile who you are when that character no longer exists. No one is saying the last 14 months of Rousey’s life have been easy. However, if she should listen to anyone right now, it’s Cruz: “Every single one of these fights is a life lesson, if you look at it and view it right and if you use it correctly.”