Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 11-Jul-17, 16:42
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts
Default Did Nunes duck Shevchenko?

Last edited by stymie; 11-Jul-17 at 17:04.
Old 11-Jul-17, 23:14
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Default Re: WMMA news / general discussion

The Bottom Line: Why Isn’t Amanda Nunes Getting the Benefit of the Doubt?
By Todd Martin Jul 11, 2017

Amanda Nunes’ decision to pull out of the UFC 213 main event the day of the show was understandably greeted with great frustration from many fans. This year’s International Fight Week was plagued by fights falling through, this following notable cancellations each of the previous two years. To have the main event cancelled at the last minute was a stunning disappointment, and it was predictable that the news would be received very negatively. The form that negativity took was much more surprising.

The UFC 213 main event cancellation quickly turned into an indictment of Nunes herself. UFC President Dana White pointed the finger directly at Nunes, arguing that she was physically capable of fighting and that the issue was 90 percent mental and only 10 percent physical. This opened up the floodgates and in quick order Nunes was to many the villain most responsible for the failings of UFC 213. She was ostensibly forced to release a statement defending herself and outlining her struggles with sinusitis amidst a flood of criticism.

It’s baffling that Nunes isn’t being given the benefit of the doubt. She prepared for months leading up to this one night, which many fighters describe as the reward after long weeks of grueling preparation. She also gave up a six-figure paycheck she put in all that time to earn. She knew she was disappointing all her fans on short notice. What did she stand to gain from this withdrawal? Basically nothing. She will have to go through another training camp just to get back to the same point. She will still have to take on the same opponent. The only thing she gains is the opportunity to fight at closer to what she feels is her best, a bizarre prize if she’s physically fine in the first place.

It is true that sometimes fighters won’t be able to cope with the stress that comes with a big fight. While it still feels inappropriate to rip and ridicule combat athletes who find themselves in that headspace, there’s no history to suggest Nunes is one of them in the first place. She has fought professionally for over nine years, most of her adult life, and this has never happened before. The tremendous psychological pressure of stepping into a cage to fight another human being weeds out those who cannot take it well before they make it to the top of the sport.

The circumstances in general lend themselves to the conclusion that Nunes was in the hospital because she was physically not feeling well, as opposed to covering up that she just didn’t feel like fighting. Nunes was scheduled to face an opponent she had already taken on and won a decision against, not some fearsome unknown foe. Additionally, it was Nunes’ last fight against Ronda Rousey in which her career stakes were far and away the highest. Moreover, it stands to reason that if this were crippling anxiety rather than a temporary malady, she wouldn’t be lobbying to reschedule the same fight in short order. This whole line of reasoning makes so little sense.

The case against Nunes has largely been defined by the remarks made by White and the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Some have backed up that case while others have criticized White for throwing Nunes under the bus. In reality, White is playing a specific role to advance the UFC’s interests. It’s bad for business and for fans when fighters pull out of fights on short notice. Thus, White and the UFC have a vested interest in deterring fighters from doing so.

In past years, that pressure came financially, as fighters couldn’t afford to miss a paycheck. Now, top fighters make more money, and more of them can thus afford to pull out of bouts when they aren’t fully healthy. In response, the UFC employs the psychological weapon of essentially trying to shame fighters into not pulling out. The treatment of Nunes serves as a lesson for other fighters in her position. It’s a strategy, and it should be recognized as one.

There is a valid concern about too many fighters pulling out of fights at the last moment and it hurting confidence in announced cards. However, that isn’t remotely the present situation. Late pullouts are quite rare, except for failed weight cuts. If anything, fighters are much more apt to go through with fights when they really shouldn’t, given their physical injuries. All the time, information about serious injuries is leaked after fights take place. The pressure for fighters to go through with fights is strong already, and the shaming of Nunes was completely unnecessary to address the potential problem.

UFC 213 was rough for fans, but it was a terrible weekend for Nunes, as well. Rather than making a big paycheck to defend her title in a pay-per-view main event, she ended up in the hospital and became an object of derision. Yes, we all would have liked to have seen her fight. Even if it weren’t so much more logical to conclude that she just didn’t physically feel up to fighting, taking her word for it sure feels like the morally right thing to do.

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Old 12-Jul-17, 02:12
Last Achievements

Default Re: WMMA news / general discussion

Old 12-Jul-17, 02:25
Producer
Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,066 Posts
Default Did Nunes duck Shevchenko?

I don't know how sick Amanda was, but competing when you have a stomach issue is hard.
Old 12-Jul-17, 03:51
Banned
Points: 939, Level: 11 Points: 939, Level: 11 Points: 939, Level: 11
Activity: 25.0% Activity: 25.0% Activity: 25.0%

Default Re: Did Nunes duck Shevchenko?

Pro fighters don't duck fights at the last minute.
Old 12-Jul-17, 08:42
Producer
Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,066 Posts

@[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register], please move Stymie's posts here.

Furry - I've heard all sorts of hypotheses and soapbox rants over the past 72 hours or so, but the zaniest is "Amanda wanted to hurt the UFC in order to make them respect her more, so that's why she pulled out after all the tickets and PPVs had been sold"....I don't think that's true, but damn, that would be ridiculous. Pull out another time if you want, but this was not the fight to duck. Regardless of outcome of the eventual fight, Amanda loses in the public's eye on this one.
Old 12-Jul-17, 10:45
Points: 5,175, Level: 30 Points: 5,175, Level: 30 Points: 5,175, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

She wanted to duck a fighter she beat in unanimous decision just over a year ago?? I don't think so.
Old 12-Jul-17, 11:58
Points: 5,218, Level: 30 Points: 5,218, Level: 30 Points: 5,218, Level: 30
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCrushes [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I don't know how sick Amanda was, but competing when you have a stomach issue is hard.
That makes me recall the "No Mas" fight with Roberto Duran, arguably one of the best fighters that ever lived. Duran threw in the towel while he was fighting Sugar Ray Leonard due to the fact that he had a stomachache. Very controversial at the time.
Old 12-Jul-17, 12:59
Points: 4,892, Level: 29 Points: 4,892, Level: 29 Points: 4,892, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I don't know if she was ducking Valentina or not. There's other explanations too.

But I strongly suspect that she's going to be on Dana White's s*#tlist after this. Dana might give leverage to his marketable superstars (like Ronda was), but Nunes was not and would never have been one of those superstars. As much as it's possible for a champion to get snubbed, I suspect Amanda will be snubbed for quite a while. ;-)
Old 12-Jul-17, 21:03
Last Achievements

Claudia Gadelha's pulled out of a couple fights because of weight cut issues, cutting from near 150 to 115, then back to 140 for the fights. Supposedly she's not doing that anymore, but it did cause some hard feelings between her and Carla Esparza.

Carla Esparza and Claudia Gadelha trade shots on social media
by Guilherme Cruz@guicruzzz Dec 4, 2016, 11:00am EST

Longtime rivals Carla Esparza and Claudia Gadelha took shots at each other on social media Saturday night.

The pair of strawweights, who were scheduled to face each other a couple of times in the past, have no fight booked in the UFC at the moment, but it appears that, according to Gadelha, Esparza recently turned down a bout against the Brazilian.

Esparza was forced to sell the motorcycle she won after becoming the first UFC strawweight champion after filming The Ultimate Fighter so she can pay her bills, and “Claudinha” attacked her on Instagram.

What a weak fighter Carla is. She doesn't want to fight the best, she makes excuses so she can get an easy fight.

I want to be the best. For my last fight, I asked to fight the best in the division. Unfortunately she don't feel in the same way. Carla and other names in the division turned down the fight. I was left with no other option than Cortney. I took that fight with the promise that if I won, I would fight Carla. Now she is still refusing to fight me.

You want money little girl? Step in the octagon and fight. I have the cars I want, 2 houses and money in the bank at 27 years old. You know why? Because I accept challenges. I fought twice in the last 6 months and I didn't choose none of my fights and I will never choose. I lost my fight for the title with pride and I was not waiting for a easy fight to get back in the win column. I was out for a year before fight for the title and you are talking about 8 months out? The first thing I said when I talked to the matchmakers was: Please give me somebody on the top 5!! You can find excuses and run but you won't disappear, I will see you soon.

It didn’t take long for Esparza to respond, though. On her Facebook page, the former UFC champion criticized Gadelha for pulling out both times when they were scheduled to fight at Invicta FC.

If I remember correctly, I showed up, weighed in, and stepped in the cage to fight you Claudia Gadelha TWO times. And YOU did not show up!!!

The second time because you cut so much freaking weight that you went to the hospital.

I also showed up on TUF 20 expecting to fight you (that makes it 3x), and again, YOU did not show up. Why?? Because you were too heavy to make the weight!!! Sorry if I walk around at 125lbs, and you get up to 155lbs. Too scared to fight people your own size??

I've proven time after time I will show up to fight you, but just because you scream and cry like a little brat, does not mean you will bully me into your way. Trust me, the fight will happen. I wasn't scared to fight you then, I'm not scared to now.

I haven't had a full camp in 2 years, so I think it's fair to ask for that. When I take this fight, I want to be at my best. I'm going in there to win. Cookie Monster out, drops the mic