Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 12-Feb-19, 21:33
Points: 66,180, Level: 100 Points: 66,180, Level: 100 Points: 66,180, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 20,714 Times in 964 Posts
Default Re: Ariel X , Sheena and more against "real" athetes

I also think that Sheena, Warrior Amazon and Ariel X are as legitimate as athletes in "our world" than in this kind of competition. But it is of course great to see them proud of the achievement, even if they don't have anything to prove.
Old 13-Feb-19, 10:25
Points: 12,856, Level: 49 Points: 12,856, Level: 49 Points: 12,856, Level: 49
Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,106 Posts

Shannon used to win in tournaments. She met Kyla at a tournament and introduced her to session wrestling. Shannon placed 1st, Kyla 2nd.

Yasmin won a bunch of tournaments too, and Kathy Griffin did as well.

But, it's very cool seeing 3 session wrestlers win at the same event. I've never seen that before.
Old 14-Feb-19, 04:36
Points: 10,043, Level: 43 Points: 10,043, Level: 43 Points: 10,043, Level: 43
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

I'd like to hear what our resident expert Anji has to say about this tournament and the performance of these ladies. I don't want to put her on the spot but she always seems to know what she's talking about and has the experience and belts to back it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to mermao For This Useful Post:
Old 14-Feb-19, 09:45
Points: 12,856, Level: 49 Points: 12,856, Level: 49 Points: 12,856, Level: 49
Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermao [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I'd like to hear what our resident expert Anji has to say about this tournament and the performance of these ladies. I don't want to put her on the spot but she always seems to know what she's talking about and has the experience and belts to back it up.
Anji trained in Judo and this is Jujitsu, so slightly different I would think, but I'd like to hear from her as well and maybe her thoughts on what the community thinks of session wrestling.
(incorrect statement whited out). Oops.

I heard a story once, a lady, long retired but quite good, got grief at a tournament for her session wrestling and after that she had her photo taken down but she continued to session wrestle for a while after that. She was only on the scene for about a year or two, at Tempest, probably not well known.

I don't remember her name, but I wrestled her. Cute as could be and she had enough ju jitsu to beat me, but she didn't strike me as good as Shannon or Gianna or Kathy Griffin, but not far off.

Last edited by LicensetoKill; 14-Feb-19 at 11:58.
The Following User Says Thank You to LicensetoKill For This Useful Post:
Old 14-Feb-19, 10:53
Points: 26,283, Level: 70 Points: 26,283, Level: 70 Points: 26,283, Level: 70
Activity: 99.3% Activity: 99.3% Activity: 99.3%
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,335 Times in 1,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LicensetoKill [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Anji trained in Judo and this is Jujitsu, so slightly different I would think, but I'd like to hear from her as well and maybe her thoughts on what the Judo community thinks of session wrestling.
This is…not right. @[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]'s a repeat IBJJF champion and at least a purple belt. Maybe thinking of Cypruss?
The Following User Says Thank You to boyofwinter For This Useful Post:
Old 14-Feb-19, 13:34
Producer
Points: 99,552, Level: 100 Points: 99,552, Level: 100 Points: 99,552, Level: 100
Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 11,355 Times in 1,045 Posts

We should remember that Sheena is a national and international judo champion, as well as a national freestyle wrestling champion. So she has competed and won on the "mainstream" stage previously.
Old 14-Feb-19, 16:16
Banned
Points: 968, Level: 12 Points: 968, Level: 12 Points: 968, Level: 12
Activity: 13.0% Activity: 13.0% Activity: 13.0%

Actually the real athletes are probably here and session wrestlers, as that is their "career".... Most of the athletes have 9-5 jobs & such.
Old 14-Feb-19, 16:57
Points: 23,315, Level: 66 Points: 23,315, Level: 66 Points: 23,315, Level: 66
Activity: 35.7% Activity: 35.7% Activity: 35.7%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloNYC [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
We should remember that Sheena is a national and international judo champion, as well as a national freestyle wrestling champion. So she has competed and won on the "mainstream" stage previously.
Really? Sheena fought freestyle wrestling?
Old 14-Feb-19, 17:05
Session Wrestler
Points: 10,164, Level: 43 Points: 10,164, Level: 43 Points: 10,164, Level: 43
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 2,126 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermao [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I appreciate you wanting to hear my opinion. I think is great that session wrestlers remain active in competitions, I was not surprised they did well, I know they are real athletes with good grappling and training. Sometimes sessions can give us a false sense of good physical performance, but to be tested for real in a tournament, is another beast. As for this tournament, as someone mentioned before, is not as high level as a IBJJF world/Pan Ams/ Abu Dhabi Grand Slam, it will be interesting to see session ladies competing in those against tougher opponents from Atos, Checkmat, Mendez Bros, Alliance etc Academies that hold 4 weeks training camps before those tournaments, so the competitions are very fierce. (they may have competed in those in the past, I am not sure about each session lady competition history) I am sure the ladies will do well, since I know they are or have been high level athletes in the past but it will be tough competition against many high level grapplers for sure.

As a lifelong Martial Artist myself (since my teens I have practiced Shaolin, Wrestling, BodyBuilding, Aikido, Japanese Jujutsu, Wudang Tai Chi and now BJJ) it is my PERSONAL belief the art is for life, not to prove anything to anyone else but just because it becomes a passion and deeply rooted on who I am expressing myself as a human being, and after my body can't compete for any reason, I will still be active training and teaching. I admire a man I know personally, "Megaton" Dias (Mackenzie Dern father), he is over 50 and been competing all his adult life, every single year, even at World adult tournaments, every time I see him, we hug and I tell him he is a big inspiration to us that want to compete for life because it is always a fun and unending learning experience. Martial Arts and specially grappling takes a lifetime to Master and everyday there is something new to learn.

@[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] "but I'd like to hear from her as well and maybe her thoughts on what the community thinks of session wrestling"
I was part of a private facebook group with over 3k female BJJ members from all over the world, and the subject was brought up many times in discussions, always in a bad light, unfortunately it is still seen as, from members own words: "disgusting'' "gross" "sick" "perverted" etc. specially due to the fact that women in BJJ are more careful about any "sexual harassment" at the academies. Also, there are always "those" guys that have fake pages on FB/IG and try approaching BJJ ladies with personal messages, like: "can you please choke me" "I will love to roll with you and want to feel you squeeze me with your legs". In this era of the "me too" movement those things don't fly well. Also BJJ women see as "sexualization" of Martial Arts " the fact that some grapplers do sessions and feel it is wrong. The funny part for me is that sometimes I forget it still is a taboo and sometimes I catch guys at my academy in training with scissors chokes and tell them: "lucky you, some guys pay for this and here you are getting scissored for free" !
Fortunately, most just laugh and think is funny.

Last edited by Anji; 14-Feb-19 at 19:48.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Anji For This Useful Post:
Old 14-Feb-19, 17:23
Banned
Points: 345, Level: 6 Points: 345, Level: 6 Points: 345, Level: 6
Activity: 24.1% Activity: 24.1% Activity: 24.1%

As far as I know, competing in BJJ or grappling tournaments is not one of Sheena's goals. She's a European Judo champion. She just happened to be in Vegas and I'm sure it was one of "why not?" moments. But, for someone who doesn't do regular BJJ or grappling training, she great.

Same goes for Ariel, she competed in bigger tournaments before. She has nothing to prove.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wrestler91 For This Useful Post: