Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 14-Oct-12, 09:11
Points: 23,576, Level: 67 Points: 23,576, Level: 67 Points: 23,576, Level: 67
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,294 Times in 271 Posts
Default Re: Why is women's professional Boxing such a joke when compared with men's pro-boxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Women's gymnastics is definitely bigger than men's gymnastics. And, at least in the US, women's soccer is bigger than men's soccer (because they have so much more success).

As for boxing, I don't think women's boxing will ever get big because 1- boxing as a whole is dying, and 2- I feel most women, if they actually enjoy combat sports, prefer to use their legs, which is not allowed. I think most women who like combat starts will turn to kickboxing and other martial arts well before they turn to boxing. Men, on the other hand, naturally like to fight with their hands. When you see 2 untrained men fight, they usually are just throwing punches or wrestling, almost no men throws kicks unless they do some type of martial arts.
I am actually not talking about popularity of a particular sport rather I am trying to compare the performance of male vs female sportsperson. US women's football (soccer) is no.1 in the world but recently he same team was drubbed 4-0 by an Indian u-16 boys team (India FIFA rank 156). Now that is the difference in performance where a country with almost zero football infrastructure sends an u-16 team of boys and they drub the no.1 women's team in the world.
Football may be a popular sports among women in US but popularity is result of certain other factors also other then performance (e.g. glamour etc) For e.g. Women's tennis is very popular but lot of it has to do with the glamour associated with the women rather then their on court performance. (e.g. Anna Kournikova) a better e.g. is women's beach volleyball which is way more popular then the men's sports.
In the football e.g. a pure football fan will always watch a men's match between Brazil and Spain rather then women's match between Japan & USA. because the quality of the game will be much higher.

It is only in few sports such as gymnastics (as pointed out by one of the contributors), shooting, horse riding, and may be few others (can just think of ultra marathons) the level of performance of a female sports person may be compared to males. Other then that if we subtract the glamour element the women sports don't compare to men purely on sporting merit.

The reason for this has already been pointed out by many contributors as late entry into sports, patriarchal society, image of certain sports etc. May be with more time womes sports will improve but I doubt women will play at the same level as men do, ever.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sheehan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-May-15, 18:52
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts
Default Re: Why is women's professional Boxing such a joke when compared with men's pro-boxin

Mikaela thinks there are more women boxing at her gym than men!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-May-15, 06:41
Points: 5,576, Level: 31 Points: 5,576, Level: 31 Points: 5,576, Level: 31
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehan [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
US women's football (soccer) is no.1 in the world but recently he same team was drubbed 4-0 by an Indian u-16 boys team (India FIFA rank 156).r.
Would you mind sharing a link?
Old 04-May-15, 13:18
Last Achievements

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] @[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sheehan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-May-15, 14:27
Points: 11,984, Level: 47 Points: 11,984, Level: 47 Points: 11,984, Level: 47
Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,586 Times in 561 Posts

Agree with Sheehan, women football would never be on even close with man football. I remember also the same shit in my country Croatia, when the first in league on table played against U-16 team boys and they beat them 12-0 and 16-1 in both games. We even had some charity friendly match were fans of club beat those women like 6-2 or something. Imagine, fans who drink, smoke and play football just on small fields maybe once in week against pro females who are paid, I am done.
Old 04-May-15, 16:10
Banned
Points: 8,399, Level: 39 Points: 8,399, Level: 39 Points: 8,399, Level: 39
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehan [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] @[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
damn... this is terrible for women soccer...
Old 04-May-15, 17:33
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon55 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
damn... this is terrible for women soccer...
These results are indeed shocking for me too. Here in India very very few people are interested in football and football infrastructure & sponsorship is almost non existent. So for me it was a double surprise that the not only the U-16 team got the chance to train in US but they also beat the most dominant women's team in the world

I really did not anticipate this much gap between the men and women's game.
Old 01-Oct-18, 12:27
GreenStamps

There aren't enough to really make serious weight divisions, the skill level isn't close to that of men's and it's not as marketable as men's boxing (which isn't exactly on fire either). The closest we had to a marketable female boxer was Laila Ali, and her heyday wasn't as long as most mens.
Old 01-Oct-18, 23:52
G-Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepinbin [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
i would like to see some kind of evidence to support this, seems a bit of a far-fetched claim! ive seen two untrained women fight (gotta love nightclub closing times...) and there wasnt a whole lot of kickig, mostly punches, slaps, grabbing eachother.

sammy is dead right, kicking is freakin' hard.
Not trying to be a douche, but does anyone ever READ a poster's comment anymore before jumping on a bandwagon? He never said women "naturally" anything. He said that when it comes to interest in COMBAT SPORTS...(not BAR fighting) they gravitate towards training in martial arts that employ the use of legs..aka Karate, TKD, Jujitsu, etc. It's a fair observation and I would agree. Women know that they possess more power in their lower bodies. Men on the other hand do tend to focus on upper body. This is also true in the gym. That being said there are plenty of women that take boxing, but most do seem to gravitate towards Karate, TKD, etc. Has nothing to do with physical contact, there are plenty of boxing classes designed for women that don't involve beating the hell out of each other If any sparring at all. There are also likewise plenty of martial arts classes that employ full contact sparring if desired. Taking Taekwondo is basically a guaranteed kick in the face at some point, and no padding to boot like a boxing glove provides. You are eating a bare foot. So that being said, your guess is as good as mine but it certainly seems within sound logic that women do indeed prefer training a fighting style that involves the legs, simple as that.

As far as the original thread question goes I personally believe interest in Women's sports, boxing, MMA, etc, is just beginning to take off. I mean it was just a few years ago when Rhonda Rousey was considered the biggest draw to the UFC. Give it time. Boxing is just way behind the times, I love it btw, but it may never be as inclusive as other sports. Maybe someday.

Last edited by G-Force; 02-Oct-18 at 02:05.
Old 03-Oct-18, 18:50
Points: 8,148, Level: 38 Points: 8,148, Level: 38 Points: 8,148, Level: 38
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR3DD [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Women's amateur Boxing is definitely better. But women's pro-boxing is completely a joke while in comparison to Men's Pro-Boxing, I get that Women's Pro-Boxing doesn't get as much media attention, but look at the fighters.

Anything female-pro boxers can do to rise? Or will it constantly be over-shadowed?

It's only been in recent years (relatively speaking) that women have been able to train in many combat arts, including boxing.

There still aren't a ton of female boxers, and for the most part there ain't much money in fighting professionally for them.

It's more of a miracle that we have any women's bouts at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to ClckwrkOra For This Useful Post: