Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

View Poll Results: Who will win?
Nunes 5 27.78%
Shevchenko 13 72.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-Jul-17, 21:45
Points: 3,500, Level: 24 Points: 3,500, Level: 24 Points: 3,500, Level: 24
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Default Re: UFC 213 - Nunes vs Shevchenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by al89 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
It doesn't surprise me one bit. Like I said Nunes is a mentally weak fighter and you could tell that she had absolutely no confidence to face Valentina. Dana White said that she was cleared to fight by the doctors yet didn't want to. She knew that she was going to get beat up and humiliated.

Make no mistake, most of these injuries and pull outs in the UFC are because fighters are ducking each other. That's the reason why these things don't happen that much in boxing where you can duck the other fighter easier due to different promotions, TV deals, belts... There are very few boxing fights that get cancelled even though those guys also get injured and sick all the time because when the fights do get made it's usually because the both guys want to. In the UFC though, fighters are pretty much "forced" to face each other by the promotion and the only way to get out of a fight is to pull out. That's why you get these imaginary injuries or illnesses. Even if they're not imaginary fighters fight with injuries all the time, there are actually few fights where both fighters are 100% going in. Being "sick" is no excuse.
Boxing is completely different. Boxing is a dance, not a fight. You'd have to be really sick to pull out. Mma has so many more components, that you really don't want to go in there if you feel sick. Mma fighters also have to deal with things like staff infections, on top of all the damage done by wrestling and Bjj.

Although, I do think it's a little weird that we haven't heard what the sickness is, and if the doctor cleared her, it couldn't be that bad. The reality is that many fighters feel bad on fight day, but once they're in the octagon, with the crowd cheering, many can step up and overcome that feeling, whether it is an injured limb, a virus or whatever. But you have to have confidence that you can do that. I used to think that she was a wild, mentally weak but physically strong fighter. Then in her last few fights, she became really impressive, especially that first fight with Schevechenko.

If I had to speculate, I'd say that there were mental and emotional reasons behind her decision to pull out. She was trying to hurt Dana for not giving her the respect and attention that fighters like Rousey got. Check out the YouTube video "Nunes 20 minute rant". I know it's a little out there, but just look at Dana's reaction. He is pissed with her, and said he'd never put a women's bantam weight fight as the headliner ever again. I hope he just means for Nunes' fights only. It would be a shame if it affects womens mma as a whole. Dana notoriously says things like that in anger and changes his mind later. Nunes saw she had leverage, and took her chance to hurt the organisation to see how much she means to the UFC. I hope that Schevchenko smashes her
Old 10-Jul-17, 00:15
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

The Following User Says Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-Jul-17, 01:23
Points: 57,567, Level: 100 Points: 57,567, Level: 100 Points: 57,567, Level: 100
Activity: 88.1% Activity: 88.1% Activity: 88.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,748 Times in 1,916 Posts

In this case, I get the impression it is shades of what we saw from Renan Barao. But at the same time, plenty of fighters have pulled out of fights that have been rescheduled and they have gone on to win. A bad precedent has been set and fighters think they can behave this way with no repercussion. If Nunes was faced with forfeiting the title (which I've read some calling for) I'm sure she would have made a stronger effort to fight.

I know Ronda is probably the poster girl for mentally broken fighters but at least she always showed up when booked. As insufferable as she was, bragging about being the "best on my worst day" and telling her Judo super-woman stories, I kind of miss her. It's a shame that she didn't employ some gamesmanship in her fight with Nunes. Imagine how badly it would have shit Nunes up if Ronda walked out with a fake belt and declared herself the "eternal bantamweight champion" and of course all her fangirls would've loved it. I think it irks Nunes that fans haven't embraced her the way other fighters have been embraced, especially since she won the belt.
Old 10-Jul-17, 01:43
Banned
Points: 939, Level: 11 Points: 939, Level: 11 Points: 939, Level: 11
Activity: 25.0% Activity: 25.0% Activity: 25.0%

Old 10-Jul-17, 05:38
Points: 5,775, Level: 32 Points: 5,775, Level: 32 Points: 5,775, Level: 32

Thanked 1,259 Times in 314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrygrappler the second [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I'm a "mentally tough" person who doesn't skip out on a menial low-paying job even when I can barely see, and I missed only one day due to illness because I couldn't even stand up because I was so sick. As a "mentally tough" person, I have one thing to say: Shut up, you have no idea what you are talking about.
It seems like you're the one who doesn't know what he's talking about since you responded with a personal attack rather than debate about what I wrote.
Old 10-Jul-17, 06:12
Banned
Points: 939, Level: 11 Points: 939, Level: 11 Points: 939, Level: 11
Activity: 25.0% Activity: 25.0% Activity: 25.0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by al89 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
It seems like you're the one who doesn't know what he's talking about since you responded with a personal attack rather than debate about what I wrote.
That's not how this works.

And, really, people who actually do fight at the elite level would be, have been, far meaner about addressing this accusation than I have. So, deal with it.
Old 10-Jul-17, 07:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrygrappler the second [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
That's not how this works.

And, really, people who actually do fight at the elite level would be, have been, far meaner about addressing this accusation than I have. So, deal with it.
It looks like you're the one who doesn't know how debating works since you're unable to address any of the points I made but just resorted to making personal attacks even though you know basically nothing about me.

There wasn't any accusation from my part I was just stating facts and rational conclusions.

Also your idea that fighters shouldn't be criticized because they're supposedly "mean" is the most ridiculous thing ever. They're athletes and deserve to be criticized mercilessly by the fans who pay their bills. I'm criticizing them by the criteria elite fighters have set for themselves and by the standards of an elite fighter Nunes is definitely mentally weak. She also robbed the fighter that I like out of a deserved title fight by being a coward. The only one in the UFC who is mentally weaker than her is Anthony "I dont't want to be in there" Johnson AKA Crumble.

Added after 37 minutes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Boxing is completely different. Boxing is a dance, not a fight. You'd have to be really sick to pull out.
Boxing is a tougher more dangerous sport than MMA and boxers get injured all the time as well yet rarely pull out.

The boxing community is much more demanding and would absolutely crucify a boxer pulling out for the same reasons Amanda did. Yet the UFC has this sort of culture where it's somehow acceptable to pull out or quit in a fight. That's why the UFC fighters abuse this and use it to duck the other fighters.

There will never be any valid excuse for a pro fighter to pull out of a fight. They literally only have one thing to do and this is to show up on that day. And there are many MMA fighters who understand how the game works like Conor McGregor who always show up. If they can do it why can't the others? Whittaker fought Romero with an injured leg.

Then you have situations like Megan Anderson pulling out because of some personal issues. This just shows you that unfortunately MMA is still a niche sport with low level athletes. Michael Schumacher won a race on the day when his mother died, because that's what real athletes and real winners do.

As a Shevchenko fan I'm absolutely devastated for her. Nunes should be stripped of the title immediately. It's clear that she is absolutely petrified to face Valentina.

Last edited by al89; 10-Jul-17 at 07:31.
Old 10-Jul-17, 09:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminy [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I know Ronda is probably the poster girl for mentally broken fighters but at least she always showed up when booked. As insufferable as she was, bragging about being the "best on my worst day" and telling her Judo super-woman stories, I kind of miss her.
The fighters have to show up no matter what. They only fight once or twice a year. For more than half a year literally the only job that Nunes had in her life was to show up on 8th of July to fight. This was her only obligation in life. There is no excuse for what she did. She disgraced her sport and showed zero respect for her opponent who had to go through an expensive camp for nothing.

The UFC should seriously punish the fighters who don't show up. They should drop them out of rankings and make them work their way up from zero and also punish them financially.
Old 10-Jul-17, 10:11
Points: 3,500, Level: 24 Points: 3,500, Level: 24 Points: 3,500, Level: 24
Last Achievements

Quote:
It looks like you're the one who doesn't know how debating works since you're unable to address any of the points I made but just resorted to making personal attacks even though you know basically nothing about me.

There wasn't any accusation from my part I was just stating facts and rational conclusions.

Also your idea that fighters shouldn't be criticized because they're supposedly "mean" is the most ridiculous thing ever. They're athletes and deserve to be criticized mercilessly by the fans who pay their bills. I'm criticizing them by the criteria elite fighters have set for themselves and by the standards of an elite fighter Nunes is definitely mentally weak. She also robbed the fighter that I like out of a deserved title fight by being a coward. The only one in the UFC who is mentally weaker than her is Anthony "I dont't want to be in there" Johnson AKA Crumble.

Added after 37 minutes:

Boxing is a tougher more dangerous sport than MMA and boxers get injured all the time as well yet rarely pull out.

The boxing community is much more demanding and would absolutely crucify a boxer pulling out for the same reasons Amanda did. Yet the UFC has this sort of culture where it's somehow acceptable to pull out or quit in a fight. That's why the UFC fighters abuse this and use it to duck the other fighters.

There will never be any valid excuse for a pro fighter to pull out of a fight. They literally only have one thing to do and this is to show up on that day. And there are many MMA fighters who understand how the game works like Conor McGregor who always show up. If they can do it why can't the others? Whittaker fought Romero with an injured leg.

Then you have situations like Megan Anderson pulling out because of some personal issues. This just shows you that unfortunately MMA is still a niche sport with low level athletes. Michael Schumacher won a race on the day when his mother died, because that's what real athletes and real winners do.

As a Shevchenko fan I'm absolutely devastated for her. Nunes should be stripped of the title immediately. It's clear that she is absolutely petrified to face Valentina.
I'd like to see Schumacher take a punch to the face. Anyone can just turn up on the day and drive around playing touch-butt with other rich kids. It's a different story to go training every day...for Cris Roidborg Santos, a woman that has taken more testosterone and growth hormone than most of us have had hot dinners. It is a little strange that she pulled out of that particular fight. I'd like to see Dana just cutting fighters who do that, Anderson, Nunes and Ladd.

As for the boxing point, yes head trauma is real but I would take a boxing fight way over a kickboxing fight, let alone mma! (in the words of Mike Tyson "if somebody kicked me in the shin or stomped on my toes I'd tap out").
Old 10-Jul-17, 11:33
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,688 Times in 9,926 Posts

Thread closed due to irrelevance.
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]