Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 19-Feb-17, 21:12
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,688 Times in 9,926 Posts
Default Re: Doctor Stoppage - right or wrong?? (Veta Arteaga vs Brooke Mayo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCrushes [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Do you agree with the doctor's decision to stop the fight?
Absolutely. Look at that eye.

Same situation happened in Ngannou vs Blaydes last year:

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following User Says Thank You to Naji For This Useful Post:
Old 20-Feb-17, 19:22
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,194 Times in 794 Posts
Default Re: WMMA news / general discussion

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

Added after 57 minutes:

This is probably much deeper than most folks will want to go, but here is a very good, in-depth interview with the UFC's point man on doping.

Last edited by brooksie; 20-Feb-17 at 19:22.
The Following User Says Thank You to brooksie For This Useful Post:
Old 20-Feb-17, 22:47
Points: 15,348, Level: 53 Points: 15,348, Level: 53 Points: 15,348, Level: 53
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

Added after 57 minutes:

This is probably much deeper than most folks will want to go, but here is a very good, in-depth interview with the UFC's point man on doping.
Did they pick Sara's opponent off the street? Sara didn't even break a sweat.
Old 21-Feb-17, 00:15
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoswrap [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Did they pick Sara's opponent off the street? Sara didn't even break a sweat.
Sara's original opponent was Liz Carmouche. Unfortunately she was injured and had to withdraw. Gina stepped up with 9 days notice. Here's her Sherdog page: [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register].

Clearly the UFC didn't have a lot of options so good for Gina for stepping up. I know that Sara, in particular, expressed a lot of gratitude to her for saving the fight. I also notice how compassionate Sara was towards her and it was nice to see she was able to put a smile back on Gina's face just before the announcement of the winner. Very classy and inspiring behaviour from Sara McMann, who's stock rose significantly in my book.
Old 21-Feb-17, 00:45
Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Clearly the UFC didn't have a lot of options so good for Gina for stepping up. I know that Sara, in particular, expressed a lot of gratitude to her for saving the fight. I also notice how compassionate Sara was towards her and it was nice to see she was able to put a smile back on Gina's face just before the announcement of the winner. Very classy and inspiring behaviour from Sara McMann, who's stock rose significantly in my book.
Yeah, I noticed that too. Sara was even more impressive after the fight than she was during it.

She's just a nice person. I actually thought that could have been one of the traits that was impeding her potential in the sport. But it looks like she's getting it now. Be nice after the fight, but aggressive during it. She's definitely a top contender now.

As to the other fight, I thought Carla beat Randa, but it was close. Giving it to Randa really didn't matter. If Carla can't do better than that against her, there's no way she's a serious contender for the top women.
Old 21-Feb-17, 01:22
Producer
Points: 27,518, Level: 72 Points: 27,518, Level: 72 Points: 27,518, Level: 72
Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,066 Posts

Not only is she a great sport and a tremendous athlete, but she is also a terrific interview. She doesn't seek out the cameras, but when the mic is on, Sara is definitely worth the listen. I'll have to go back and study more of her fights and I know that 36 is not exactly "young" for a fighter, but IF she were ever the UFC champion, I could imagine she's someone who would move the meter in terms of fan interest and inspiring young kids to try MMA training. I don't know anything about her, but when she speaks, she's sounds pretty damn intelligent.
Old 21-Feb-17, 01:44
Banned
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated G [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Yeah, I noticed that too. Sara was even more impressive after the fight than she was during it.

She's just a nice person. I actually thought that could have been one of the traits that was impeding her potential in the sport. But it looks like she's getting it now. Be nice after the fight, but aggressive during it. She's definitely a top contender now.

As to the other fight, I thought Carla beat Randa, but it was close. Giving it to Randa really didn't matter. If Carla can't do better than that against her, there's no way she's a serious contender for the top women.
It's like you read my mind there. I've wondered for a while if lacking the killer instinct might hold Sara back but those doubts are gone now. Her next fight is going to have huge impact on her career. This one gets her another win but doesn't seem to have much significance for anyone, as evidenced by the fact we're talking mostly about her actions post-fight than during it

Regarding the Carla/Randa fight, I also agree. I don't see either as being anything more than gatekeepers. I'd be amazed if either one ever got near a title shot.

Added after 19 minutes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCrushes [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Not only is she a great sport and a tremendous athlete, but she is also a terrific interview. She doesn't seek out the cameras, but when the mic is on, Sara is definitely worth the listen. I'll have to go back and study more of her fights and I know that 36 is not exactly "young" for a fighter, but IF she were ever the UFC champion, I could imagine she's someone who would move the meter in terms of fan interest and inspiring young kids to try MMA training. I don't know anything about her, but when she speaks, she's sounds pretty damn intelligent.
Here's today's Monday Morning Analyst, breakdown of McMann's choke at 43:43

Sara is a great interview because she is smart, at least when it comes to fighting and is utterly without guile. There's no spinning, nothing calculated, just honest, frank answers. Not necessarily in every interview, sometimes the quick ones are fairly pro forma but in an extended setting, she's great to listen to: [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

BTW, the fight is up on YouTube if anyone wants to see it. Only two and a half minutes, well worth it.

Last edited by brooksie; 21-Feb-17 at 01:44.
Old 21-Feb-17, 23:01
Banned
Last Achievements

The real history of WMMA:

Added after 17 minutes:

Oh yeah:

Last edited by brooksie; 21-Feb-17 at 23:01.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brooksie For This Useful Post:
Old 24-Feb-17, 20:56
brooksie
This message has been deleted by brooksie. Reason: duplicate
Old 25-Feb-17, 09:01
Banned
Last Achievements

Old 26-Feb-17, 05:46
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

Sherdog Prospect Watch: Aspen Ladd
By Nick Grinups Feb 26, 2017

They exist in an ever evolving sport, which is why Aspen Ladd and her coaches compare her skills to a Lego Ferrari with a never-ending amount of pieces.

Ladd has been adding to her tool kit since she started her formal training at age 14. The undefeated women’s bantamweight prospect first walked into an MMA gym in hopes of finding a way to stay in shape. Little did she know that she would be hooked soon after.

“Within a week, I fell in love with the sport; the competition is what got me hooked to it,” Ladd told Sherdog.com. “You always have something new to learn, and it always keeps you on your toes.”

Ladd has enjoyed the luxury of training at the same gym since she started her MMA journey: MMA Gold in El Dorado Hills, California. She stood out from her peers from the beginning.

“The first time I saw Aspen in there, she was not training MMA,” said longtime coach Jim West. “She was in there with her brother, and they were just rolling around on the mats.” He remembers turning to one of his colleagues and saying, “That girl is going to make it.” West saw the drive. “She has the one thing that not everyone has, that something you cannot teach, and that is the will to win. She would show up and get beat up, then wash the blood off her face and come back.”

Ladd kicked off her amateur career at age 17 and compiled an 8-1 record across some 18 months of competition. By then, she had run out of options and outgrown her surroundings.

“They couldn’t really find me anymore opponents as an amateur,” Ladd said. “It is hard to find opponents once you get established.”

The upstart prospect and her coaches decided it was time to turn pro. Ladd signed with Invicta Fighting Championships and joined the roster as one of the promotion’s youngest fighters. Although lacking in experience, she believed she had the tools necessary to excel.

“I have the most confidence in my team and in my coaches,” Ladd said. “I knew I was able to perform at the highest level, and if they had confidence in me moving to this next step, I was totally comfortable with that.”

She won her professional debut by first-round technical knockout on Feb. 27, 2015 and then submitted Amanda Bobby Cooper with a second-round armbar to improve to 2-0. Cooper went on to become a finalist on “The Ultimate Fighter.” Ladd’s first two pro bouts came at 125 pounds, but the weight cut proved problematic, prompting a move to bantamweight. She finished her next two opponents with ground-and-pound. Ladd’s quick success did not surprise those closest to her.

“Aspen is an extremely humble person, but she takes herself and her team very seriously,” West said. “She has a lot of expectations that she holds for herself and her coaches, too, and it’s our job to reach her high expectations. That’s why she is continuing to progress and is able to keep adding those Lego blocks. You have to keep building in a sport like MMA.”

In her most recent appearance at Invicta 21 on Jan. 14, Ladd went the distance in securing a unanimous decision over Sijara Eubanks. She found value in the experience.

“I was having fun out there,” said Ladd, her perfect record now sitting at 5-0. “I was able to showcase my boxing skills, which I have been working hard on.”

Ladd’s primary goal -- to be a better fighter each time she competes -- never changes. She does not adhere to the concept of training camps.

“There is no such thing as a camp; it is not even in her vocabulary,” West said. “She trains year-round, and since she is constantly doing that, we are always adding pieces to her game. We are always able to add a wrinkle into her foundation and something new to her never-ending product.”

Ladd sees herself as part of the newest wave of mixed martial artists, finely tuned fighters who are not chained to one particular discipline.

“In the beginning of my career, people thought I was just a grappler, but I love boxing now and I am getting better every day,” she said. “I am a well-rounded martial artist.”

By sharpening her skills daily and leaning on the wisdom of her coaches and teammates, Ladd has progressed from top-ranked amateur to Invicta bantamweight contender in a blink. Soon, the 21-year-old hopes to add the newest piece to the Ferrari.

“The next thing for me is the UFC,” Ladd said. “I am just waiting for the phone call.”