Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 19-Jul-15, 11:59
Lepar

Default Re: Sharing Custom Videos. What's the general viewpoint on this?

If you've paid for it, and the producer shows no interest in selling it on their website, then I believe it's reasonable to share.

There are dozens of videos I would love to watch but cannot because they are not sold anywhere.
Old 19-Jul-15, 12:01
Producer
Points: 2,596, Level: 21 Points: 2,596, Level: 21 Points: 2,596, Level: 21
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepar [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
If you've paid for it, and the producer shows no interest in selling it on their website, then I believe it's reasonable to share.

There are dozens of videos I would love to watch but cannot because they are not sold anywhere.
No, it's not reasonable at all.... not unless both the producer, AND the talent, are aware of such intent and have signed over their rights for you to do so.
Old 19-Jul-15, 12:06
Lepar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrushWrestling [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
No, it's not reasonable at all.... not unless both the producer, AND the talent, are aware of such intent and have signed over their rights for you to do so.
I'm sorry I cannot agree. If I buy something, I own it.
Old 19-Jul-15, 20:11
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,688 Times in 9,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrushWrestling [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I am surprised to see that this is even a question. Why would you share a custom video that is commissioned just for you?

Maybe other companies do cheap customs, but that is not how we do things. The costs involved are generally extremely high to bring certain people together from around the US (flights, hotels, food, etc...)...then you have production costs, studio costs, etc... Generally customs end up being 10x-100x the price of a normal video.

So, if you shared such a thing, it would be the equivalent of buying a new Ferrari and leaving it in the street with the keys in it for anyone to just come up and take for a joy ride. That's generally not something you see luxury buyers doing.
Look at it this way. Why does a customer order a custom video? Most of the time it is because they cannot find a certain style / content / match-up / some important details in the videos that are available on the market. Once they receive the video and watch it and enjoy it, they are satisfied, there is really not much reason to keep it for themselves. I totally understand why people would like to share the content that they find valuable with the world. This is the main reason this forum was created, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepar [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
It is really best to agree on this beforehand. I always give my customers two prices - one if they want to own the video, and another, if I, the producer, will release the video for profit afterwards. The second option is of course less expensive.
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Old 19-Jul-15, 21:49
Producer
Points: 2,596, Level: 21 Points: 2,596, Level: 21 Points: 2,596, Level: 21
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Quote:
No, you don't. You obviously have no understanding of copyright law. Purchasing a product does not transfer copyright ownership/rights. You simply have the right to view it, not publish, rebroadcast, etc...
The Following User Says Thank You to CrushWrestling For This Useful Post:
Old 21-Jul-15, 01:54
Producer
Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,066 Posts

Quality models and producers will frown upon open sharing of customs. As a producer, I have an interest in protecting the models, because there are several of them I'd like to be able to work with for years to come. If piracy kills the value of their product, they'll leave the market...a big lose-lose. If all you want is a $25 custom from a $25 model, you'll be fine, but if you're into the $350-and-up models, then you, too, have an interest in protecting their value.

As for taxes, there are far fewer cash-and-carry deals than you might think. We all receive 1099s (1099-K, to be exact) from our billing services, including Paypal. I don't know about others, but more than 99.9% of my sales are credit card. Customers can use prepaid credit cards if they wish to hide their purchases from anyone, but there's a paper trail for everything on the merchant side.
Old 21-Jul-15, 02:38
Ignore My Taps
Points: 16,351, Level: 55 Points: 16,351, Level: 55 Points: 16,351, Level: 55
Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,719 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweig [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
This is a matter of agreement between the customer and the producer. I always provide two prices for custom requests - one, where I have all the rights, informing the client that I will sell the video later, and that he cannot share it online, and another, where the client can do whatever they want with it except use it for commercial purposes, and I cannot publish it.
And of course for many producers there is a third possibility, a price in which the client receives the rights to use the custom video for any and all commercial purposes.

To summarize, a custom video is produced for the client's personal use only.
A custom video is produced for the client, however the producer retains the rights to commercially resell it.
A custom video is produced for the client, who receives all rights, private and commercial.

Squabbling will come about in a poorly written agreement that is silent about these key matters, in which case applicable law depending on jurisdiction will preside, then arguments and disagreements become a big fat mess.

I've essentially produced mixed wrestling video under each of those three scenarios noted above, and all are perfectly acceptable, none better than the other, depending on the mutually agreeable wants and needs of the client, producer, and models.
Old 23-Jul-15, 03:54
Lepar

Quote:
No, you don't. You obviously have no understanding of copyright law. Purchasing a product does not transfer copyright ownership/rights. You simply have the right to view it, not publish, rebroadcast, etc...
I didn't say anything about broadcasting it or publishing it somewhere.

All I implied is if I fund a video and it's creation, and the producer doesn't upload it on their site for purchase, then it really isn't unreasonable for me to hand a copy out to another fan I know.

Secondly, all my customs films to date include my image in them, even if I'm not the producer, I own the image by default.