Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 17-Sep-13, 04:36
Points: 5,177, Level: 30 Points: 5,177, Level: 30 Points: 5,177, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Default Is this the end of mixed wrestling?

Hi, just wondering what your thoughts are on the subject of BJJ as opposed to mixed wrestling. I know a few girls who have been in the business for many years do not agree with the introduction of things like arms bars and choke holds into tournament rules. I am talking specifically about the tournaments held in London and Troisdorf here, but it may well apply in the US also.
Their main grievance is that this is not wrestling. As soon as you allow chokes and lever holds then it becomes a BJJ tournament. Much as allowing the use of feet in boxing would no longer constitute a boxing match but instead move into kick boxing. I have nothing at all against kick boxing or BJJ but the promoters of such events insist on calling them ‘wrestling’ events rather than BJJ events.
This got me to thinking with the new girls coming through. They will see straight away that the quickest way to victory would be through the application of a triangle choke, arm-bar or rear choke. They will train for this and consequently other girls will have to train to counter them. Does this mean the end for old style mixed wrestling? Will head scissors and schoolgirl pins, or any pins for that matter, become a thing of the past. Will so called ‘mixed wrestling ‘ in future years constitute in reality, mixed BJJ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Lurkermanau For This Useful Post:
Old 17-Sep-13, 05:28
Banned
Points: 2,062, Level: 18 Points: 2,062, Level: 18 Points: 2,062, Level: 18
Last Achievements

Default Re: Is this the end of mixed wrestling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkermanau [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Hi, just wondering what your thoughts are on the subject of BJJ as opposed to mixed wrestling. I know a few girls who have been in the business for many years do not agree with the introduction of things like arms bars and choke holds into tournament rules. I am talking specifically about the tournaments held in London and Troisdorf here, but it may well apply in the US also.
Their main grievance is that this is not wrestling. As soon as you allow chokes and lever holds then it becomes a BJJ tournament. Much as allowing the use of feet in boxing would no longer constitute a boxing match but instead move into kick boxing. I have nothing at all against kick boxing or BJJ but the promoters of such events insist on calling them ‘wrestling’ events rather than BJJ events.
This got me to thinking with the new girls coming through. They will see straight away that the quickest way to victory would be through the application of a triangle choke, arm-bar or rear choke. They will train for this and consequently other girls will have to train to counter them. Does this mean the end for old style mixed wrestling? Will head scissors and schoolgirl pins, or any pins for that matter, become a thing of the past. Will so called ‘mixed wrestling ‘ in future years constitute in reality, mixed BJJ?
Wow, talk about over dramatizing things. Your first point has some merit but do really think that any woman who gets into the biz with some level of bjj training won't wrestle conventionally or performs holds the client requests and insist on the match only being bjj?

For the few that might there will be dozens that won't in order to get bookings and repeat clients.
The Following User Says Thank You to cubsfan4life68 For This Useful Post:
Old 17-Sep-13, 05:39
Last Achievements

No I don't think it's being over dramatic. I'm just putting the idea out there. It is a fact now that nearly all tournaments are BJJ tournaments, not wrestling tournaments. The girls who are the most successful are the ones with the best BJJ skills.
Nothing wrong with that. But I am wondering why we can't have both? I am also talking about in 10 years time when all the girls learn will be BJJ. Sure some may accommodate in the future with mixed wrestling but if it becomes a truly competitive match....guess what she will revert to..
Old 17-Sep-13, 06:31
Points: 19,382, Level: 60 Points: 19,382, Level: 60 Points: 19,382, Level: 60
Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,808 Times in 653 Posts

The end of mixed wrestling?!! wtf!

No, of course not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Subboy2 For This Useful Post:
Old 17-Sep-13, 07:00
Points: 450,825, Level: 100 Points: 450,825, Level: 100 Points: 450,825, Level: 100
Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9%
Last Achievements

Thanked 45,428 Times in 4,303 Posts

LOL, no, mixed wrestling will never end. It's always existed and its growing bigger and biger with internet and IT.

YOu are taking about how new MMA holds is getting the new Girls advantage over the "old style" female wrestlers in a match.

But then you must talk about F-F matches and not mixed wrestling.

When you choose to wrestle a girl you chose the rules also.
I dont think mixed wrestling is in threat becaurse the Girls getting more skilled.

Quite the opposite acutally :-)
Old 17-Sep-13, 08:22
Last Achievements

yeah but deepkick think about it in 10 years time. All the so called session wrestlers will be trained mainly in BJJ. Why would you then pay big bucks for a mixed wrestling session with them? Why not a body builder or a judo girl for instance? None of them are wrestlers. You will pay for something that none of them specialize in like the current session wrestlers do.
If you want a mixed BJJ session then that's fine...you have no problem. Also I concede that many BJJ girls will be able to adapt to a specifically requested wrestling session....just as some body builders and some judo exponents will. My point is that they won't really specialize in the area like they have done in the past.
I just think with all this emphasis on BJJ that we may well be losing sight of something important. But who knows...if I am wrong it certainly wouldn't be a first for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lurkermanau For This Useful Post:
Old 17-Sep-13, 08:45
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

I remember early in Kyla's session career she posted that she was looking for wrestling lessons. I guess bjj wasn't sensual enough for alot of guys, lol. I suggested she contact Bill Wick for advice. Don't know if she ever got the training though...
The Following User Says Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 17-Sep-13, 15:51
Points: 4,774, Level: 29 Points: 4,774, Level: 29 Points: 4,774, Level: 29
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Huh, what's this "specialization" you're worried they'll lose out on? BJJ is pretty much wrestling + extra stuff.
Old 17-Sep-13, 18:24
Producer
Points: 30,392, Level: 76 Points: 30,392, Level: 76 Points: 30,392, Level: 76
Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 3,211 Times in 581 Posts

I recently discovered the sport of "Catch Wrestling" and am attending class 3 times a week to better master my wrestling skills.
I believe if more women took upon this type of style of wrestling, then they have nothing to worry about whether it be BJJ or wrestling.
Also "Catch Wrestling" is the Old Style of wrestling where all the holds you mention are allowed since it's no holds bar.

Here is a link :

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

Anyhow, these are just my thoughts!!

XOXO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkermanau [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Old 17-Sep-13, 18:45
Points: 15,837, Level: 54 Points: 15,837, Level: 54 Points: 15,837, Level: 54
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,286 Times in 330 Posts

DWW had some variety to the rules in some of their tournaments. Pins only. Submissions only. Maybe that needs to happen with some of these new ones.