Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 28-Aug-16, 21:10
Points: 1,511, Level: 15 Points: 1,511, Level: 15 Points: 1,511, Level: 15
Activity: 5.9% Activity: 5.9% Activity: 5.9%

Default Re: Paige Vanzant

she lost to rose namajunas last december who now ranked 4.
i think paige would do well against joanne.
joanne fighting jessica andrade ufc 203 huge fight for both of them.
Old 28-Aug-16, 21:26
Points: 57,576, Level: 100 Points: 57,576, Level: 100 Points: 57,576, Level: 100
Activity: 88.1% Activity: 88.1% Activity: 88.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,749 Times in 1,916 Posts

Andrade/Calderwood could be the next title challenger, especially if Andrade wins impressively and calls out Joanna.

I have no real desire to see Karolina challenge for the belt. She barely scraped past Rose and has no real weapons - no finishes in the UFC. It's a bad stylistic match up too IMO. Everything Karolina does, Joanna does a little better.
Old 03-Sep-16, 01:17
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

Wasn't Paige saying post-fight that her coaches had been urging her not to go for takedowns as much as in the past because she's got this great punching ability or something? That's new to me because that was supposedly the weakest part of her game, her offense wasn't great and her striking was pretty pitty-pat.

Anyways, I'm guessing Paige might have taken home around $132,500 at least for this bout. ($50k bonus + $2.5k from Reebok + maybe $80k for the victory?) I read that Paige got 40k in her loss to Rose and would have gotten 80k if she had won that fight.

So here's Frank Pozen's take on the fight, for the archives:

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Big Bad Blog Video Theater-Paige VanZant vs Bec Rawlings

The last time we saw Paige in the cage she was getting clobbered by Rose Namajunas. Since then, she created a lot of mainstream buzz on Dancing With The Stars. This led to a proposed role in the remake of the film Kickboxer and she was supposed to appear at SummerSlam. She self consciously decided to turn down both of those things to take this fight. She wants to be thought of as a fighter first. The problem is she hasn't beaten anyone decent yet. And Bec is nothing special. She is mainly a kickboxer. And she is coming off of a hip injury. Bec is an Aussie now training at Alliance in San Diego. Jessica Penne was in her corner. In round one, Paige tries to keep her distance except when she does some fancy spinning moves. I don't recall her doing those kinds of moves in her previous fights. Those are low percentage moves that get a spectacular result when a fighter gets lucky and lands one. Between rounds I joked that Paige thought she was still on Dancing With The Stars. Bec did some good work when she got Paige in the clinch. Other than the fancy stuff, Paige didn't do much so I scored round one 10-9 for Bec. Paige's corner told her to knock off the flying stuff. She proceeds to come out for round two and this time the flying head kick finds the target and Paige wins by KO. I thought it was hilarious. Hell, she got $50K for KO of the Night. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. Winning like that doesn't help Paige and it could hurt her if she thinks it's a way to beat better fighters. I understand the finish was spectacular but I have to look past that. And beating another lower card fighter doesn't help Paige. She says she wants to fight in Sacramento in December. She trains there. And Tecia Torres has offered her services. We'll see how that goes.
Old 03-Sep-16, 20:47

paige is ranked number 8 now just behind joanne calderwood

also ashlee evans-smith win tonight 3rd round tko
Old 03-Sep-16, 23:25
Points: 57,576, Level: 100 Points: 57,576, Level: 100 Points: 57,576, Level: 100
Activity: 88.1% Activity: 88.1% Activity: 88.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,749 Times in 1,916 Posts

It's a shame we never got to see Ashlee vs Germaine as was previously booked before Germaine pulled out. That would have been a classic grappler vs. striker match up. Hopefully they re-book AES vs GdR.
Old 04-Sep-16, 09:25

ashlee said she would like rematch with raquel pennington
Old 04-Sep-16, 13:01
Points: 15,348, Level: 53 Points: 15,348, Level: 53 Points: 15,348, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski45 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
ashlee said she would like rematch with raquel pennington
Is Raquel the girl that knocked her out cold with Bulldog choke?
Old 04-Sep-16, 13:27

yes in december 2014
Old 04-Sep-16, 20:41
Producer
Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,066 Posts

If Paige gets onto the December card, that'll be my first chance to see UFC live. Like many observers have agreed, I hope she does not think that "fancy pants" flying knockouts are de rigueur. As a professional fighter, getting bigger paydays for you and your team has to be one of the main objectives, and if you're only worried about looking good for a "show" while losing all the time, you're not going to achieve that. You've got to be smart and patient vs the top competitors in your sport. As a competitor, you want to face the best, but the best want you to come to their level...they have no desire to come down to yours. (my first post made more sense, but the system lost it lol)
Old 04-Sep-16, 21:41
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoswrap [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Way to go Paige!!! She Looked awesome tonight.
Just call her Paige McGregor!

"It's an honour to be compared to Conor McGregor" says UFC starlet Paige VanZant
By Ben Kiely

Paige VanZant was taken aback by Dana White's recent comments.

The UFC president spoke highly of VanZant after her dominant decision victory over veteran Felice Herrig in her last trip to the Octagon.

White implied that her drawing power might see fans wanting her to be fast-tracked through the ranks of the newly established women's strawweight division, but her lack of Octagon experience means that is unlikely to happen. He compared her explosive rise to that of a certain Irish fighter.

“It’s almost like the Conor McGregor thing. The guy bursts out of nowhere, explodes onto the scene and backs it up. And Paige VanZant did tonight, too. She looked unbelievable. And she is. She’s one of those people that has that thing.”

“She’s got that thing that I always talk about — that thing you can’t teach. Everybody in my dressing room tonight wanted to meet her. They were like, ‘We want to meet Paige VanZant.’ She’s got that thing man. And she can fight.”

VanZant admitted she enjoyed being compared to the featherweight contender because of her popularity.

“I think Conor is awesome and to have Dana compare me to him is a huge honor.”

She also responded to a recent comment from fellow UFC strawweight Tecia Torres. The Tiny Tornado insinuated that the star was getting preferential treatment from “Daddy Dana”, which wasn't warranted because she is a relative newcomer to the sport.

"It’s good. It’s harsh. It’s the fight business. It creates drama in the sport and ever since she said those things I’ve gotten thousands of followers. I love what I’m doing. I don’t need negative comments. I have a lot more to prove still.”

If she already has competitors trash-talking her, then she might be like McGregor more than she might have initially thought.

Hat-tip to BJ Penn

Tags
mma, paige vanzant, wmma