Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Community > General Discussion [Off-Topic]

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 10-Sep-17, 20:08
Points: 5,775, Level: 32 Points: 5,775, Level: 32 Points: 5,775, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,259 Times in 314 Posts
Default Re: Phone IP tracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOmega [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
If they knew who it was then they would just got straight to the source, it's a desperate bluff to try and force information that they don't have, and most likely, have no legal right to.
Indeed. It definitely sounds like a bluff to me. If they could get the info they would have done it already. Threatening people to reveal themselves only makes the manager look stupid in my eyes in this situation because by doing that it's just a confirmation that the email got under his skin and now people see a weakness. This can embolden other people to try and do the same, maybe just by being more careful and using a public library instead, but they definitely know now that they can get to him.

The proper way to handle it would be just finding out who did it then settle it privately and ignore it publicly. Or just ignore it altogether.
The Following User Says Thank You to al89 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-Sep-17, 20:16
Points: 19,382, Level: 60 Points: 19,382, Level: 60 Points: 19,382, Level: 60
Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,808 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOmega [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
If they knew who it was then they would just got straight to the source, it's a desperate bluff to try and force information that they don't have, and most likely, have no legal right to.

It'd be interesting to know under what authority they think they can demand your personal property for inspection. Again, I doubt they have any legal recourse and any punitive action they try to take if you refuse to cooperate would probability land them in legal trouble down the line.
Sounds like a zealot with no understanding of their actual powers.
They haven't asked for everyone's personal phones, and can't see them doing that.

As you say, it's just a desperate bluff (imo) to try and get the culprit to hang themselves
Old 10-Sep-17, 21:43
Banned
Points: 939, Level: 11 Points: 939, Level: 11 Points: 939, Level: 11
Activity: 25.0% Activity: 25.0% Activity: 25.0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subboy2 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
No company phones - so just personal phones.

Personally I reckon it was just a bluff, and there's not much else they can do - save go directly to the network provider, via the police etc, requesting the information, which I can't see them spending the time or resources doing, over an email which said 'shut up'

Could be wrong though!
Yeah, that's a bit outside of their purview, then...

They're blowing smoke.
The Following User Says Thank You to furrygrappler the second For This Useful Post:
Old 10-Sep-17, 23:34
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,688 Times in 9,926 Posts

It's a bluff. Phone numbers cannot be traced via email. And if he used a web-based email, like GMail, his IP cannot be identified either.
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naji For This Useful Post:
Old 12-Sep-17, 22:45
Points: 2,999, Level: 22 Points: 2,999, Level: 22 Points: 2,999, Level: 22
Last Achievements

Although...if the sender was (possibly unknowingly) using the employer's WiFi...they could have a much easier time tracking them. Also, the IP addresses in the email chain could give away their location (for instance, if there is only one employee in a certain country). Not saying that it isn't a bluff, just that it's possible they know more than is obvious.

I've never seen an employee that wasn't replaceable, and that includes managers. But without a doubt, anybody that would send an anonymous email is the first chicken-shit to go.

Added after 10 minutes:

I am curious:

Using the same logic that says it is impossible to trace the phone number (and often the IP address) of an incoming email, how could they know it came from a phone?

I suspect there is more information than we are being given (possibly in the body of the email). Or, maybe it came from an email address the user associated with EE (easy to look up the owner of a legit email server), and their phone number shows up in the email address or a boiler plate signature? Just guesses.

Maybe YOU have special knowledge that it came from a cell phone. Were you the sender?

Last edited by jumpbrick; 12-Sep-17 at 22:45.
The Following User Says Thank You to jumpbrick For This Useful Post:
Old 13-Sep-17, 01:15
Points: 2,999, Level: 22 Points: 2,999, Level: 22 Points: 2,999, Level: 22
Last Achievements

Wow...with nothing to do I seem fixated on this hypothetical A couple other possibilities:

Perhaps the boss does know who it is, but likes the person, maybe even respects them.

But most importantly: it is super easy to "spoof" email sender information, or even to use a co-worker's computer or phone when they step away. Perhaps somebody is actually trying to frame a co-worker?

I think the best thing would be to address whatever makes this workplace so toxic
The Following User Says Thank You to jumpbrick For This Useful Post:
Old 14-Sep-17, 22:23
Points: 19,382, Level: 60 Points: 19,382, Level: 60 Points: 19,382, Level: 60
Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,808 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpbrick [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Although...if the sender was (possibly unknowingly) using the employer's WiFi...they could have a much easier time tracking them. Also, the IP addresses in the email chain could give away their location (for instance, if there is only one employee in a certain country). Not saying that it isn't a bluff, just that it's possible they know more than is obvious.

I've never seen an employee that wasn't replaceable, and that includes managers. But without a doubt, anybody that would send an anonymous email is the first chicken-shit to go.

Added after 10 minutes:

I am curious:

Using the same logic that says it is impossible to trace the phone number (and often the IP address) of an incoming email, how could they know it came from a phone?

I suspect there is more information than we are being given (possibly in the body of the email). Or, maybe it came from an email address the user associated with EE (easy to look up the owner of a legit email server), and their phone number shows up in the email address or a boiler plate signature? Just guesses.

Maybe YOU have special knowledge that it came from a cell phone. Were you the sender?
Ha, NO I was definately not the sender! They (manager and IT) said it came from a phone on the EE network. That's all I know. How they would know, I have no idea.
Old 15-Sep-17, 14:52
Points: 4,405, Level: 28 Points: 4,405, Level: 28 Points: 4,405, Level: 28
Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpbrick [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

If the phone was connected to the local wifi you could get the ip-address of the sender, and you might be able to get its unique mac-address, but you either have to have that in some logging which I consider unlikely, or the phone still has to be connected to the wifi.

The header of the email might also contain information about the client that was used to send the email, and if that is a client specific for a phone that is a good clue too.

If not connected to local wifi the ip-address will show that it belongs to an (mobile) ISP, but you will not get any other information from it.

In any case it is very unlikely to get the phone number as it is not linked to the ip-address.