Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Community > General Discussion [Off-Topic]

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 06-Aug-17, 14:58
Points: 10,055, Level: 43 Points: 10,055, Level: 43 Points: 10,055, Level: 43
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%
Last Achievements

Default Atomic Blonde

Anyone see this movie? I might be watching it this afternoon. Seems like classic ass-kicking femdom. Tonnes of scenes in the trailer alone: car scene, whipping, shooting, kicking, and more. I'm just going to hope there's a scisdor scene, or something similar.

Your thoughts on the movie (whether you've seen it or not)?
Old 06-Aug-17, 16:20
Points: 5,353, Level: 31 Points: 5,353, Level: 31 Points: 5,353, Level: 31
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Default Re: Atomic Blonde

watched it 4 days ago, no scissors at all, not even any sexy attacks. But I do like the increase amount of headscissors in movies and TV nowaday
Old 07-Aug-17, 00:32
Points: 57,559, Level: 100 Points: 57,559, Level: 100 Points: 57,559, Level: 100
Activity: 85.7% Activity: 85.7% Activity: 85.7%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,746 Times in 1,915 Posts

Look forward to seeing it and will buy the DVD to support the producers.

I've liked Charlize since she was in "The Astronaut's Wife" with Johnny Depp.

It's also great that a 42 year old woman is starring in a movie like this.
Old 07-Aug-17, 21:10
Producer
Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,066 Posts

It wasn't what I expected, nor as cool as what it seemed to be endeavoring to be. Not sure why, but a lot of the scenes reminded me of "Payback". Keep your expectations low and you'll be fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KillerCrushes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-Aug-17, 02:22
ramblerman84

I heard she busts alot of balls in this movie
Old 16-Oct-17, 20:29
Points: 2,818, Level: 22 Points: 2,818, Level: 22 Points: 2,818, Level: 22
Last Achievements

I saw it back in August and really enjoyed it and Charlize Theron was brilliant in it and hopefully they will be another one.
Old 10-Dec-17, 09:30
Points: 57,559, Level: 100 Points: 57,559, Level: 100 Points: 57,559, Level: 100
Activity: 85.7% Activity: 85.7% Activity: 85.7%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,746 Times in 1,915 Posts

So I finally saw Atomic Blonde.

There's good points and bad points.

The main good point is that the film delivers some excellent action and fight scenes. Seriously. I'm not just saying that as a guy wanting to see girl-on-guy violence, but it ticks the box for sure and in a way I relished seeing.

The fighting was very well choreographed and refreshing for a mainstream action movie. There's no shaky-cam or choppy editing to contrive a sense of franticness and/or mask laziness. They're gritty, violent and don't shy away displaying blood and bruises. Charlize's character, Lorraine Broughton, even takes some (quite severe at times) punishment and is not portrayed as physically untouchable/invincible like many women in action movies.

As I said before, it's great to see a 42 year old woman in a role like this. Even though I've banged on ad nauseam about action movies and on-screen tough women not being what they were, Cynthia Rothrock, Kathy Long, Lucy Lawless, Kathleen Kinmont, etc, were all much younger than this when they were cast in starring action roles.

Now the bad points. Ultimately it misses the mark in feeling like a well polished, well put together film. I didn't like the pacing or the non-linear way the story was told. The characters never crossed over into feeling like real people and truly engaging the audience with emotional investment.

They obviously put a few irons in the fire with wanting to be stylish and slick, creating a sense of "fun" and nostalgia with blaring 80s pop music randomly injected all too often, but tempered with gritty, hard-hitting action and straight faced government agents. Then, without giving anything away, there were the twists for the sake of twists giving it an air of pretentiousness that it would've been fine without. It just didn't come together all that well.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jiminy For This Useful Post:
Old 31-Dec-17, 11:46
Points: 3,713, Level: 25 Points: 3,713, Level: 25 Points: 3,713, Level: 25
Last Achievements

Jiminy, spot on review. Atomic Blond had a few good action scenes, but the story just did not catch on.

Wonder Woman was really good, until the last part where it just went all CGI.
The Following User Says Thank You to JOFL For This Useful Post:
Old 01-Mar-18, 22:44
G-Force

Guess I'll have to disagree with several here. I thought the movie was outstanding. Some of the absolute best bad ass bone crunching fighting scenes I've ever seen, especially for a lead female character, and Charlize made them very believable. The screenplay was both stylish and refreshing. Plot was decent enough with some twists. The only let down was that they could have capitalized more to our liking on two scenes in particular. SPOILER ALERT
The part where the lead guy (James McAvoy) is taking out the second female spy (Delphine) should have allowed for her to put up a better fight than what she did. The other part, towards the end where Charlize is barefoot, sporting a sexy dress and hanging with the KGB right before she takes them all out..with a gun (eyeroll). Very dissapointing, especially when her hand to hand skills were off the charts in other scenes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 05-Mar-18, 17:21
Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1
Activity: 2.9% Activity: 2.9% Activity: 2.9%

Gotta agree with the first poster here - its a bit of a turkey, really. Charlize is hot at the moment and sometimes hot stars get a bit of good will from the reviewers. I'm surprised people have raved about the action scenes -as they are a bit hokey to be honest. The whip bit is just silly and in some of the fights you see the blows don't even land - unforgivable seeing as how the director used to be stuntman himself!

Its weird now how A-list actresses like Jennifer Lawrence and Scarjo etc must get told by their agencies to come over to Europe and do a "catsuit" movie in between the bigger budget jobs - I prefer the old B-movie ass kickers (even Tarrantino can't pull it off) as for recent movies I much prefer Haywire even though Gina Carano can't really act.

Atomic Blonde will just fade from the memory like Aon Flux did.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trucktruck For This Useful Post: