Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 29-Feb-16, 01:26
Points: 17,757, Level: 58 Points: 17,757, Level: 58 Points: 17,757, Level: 58
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,052 Times in 710 Posts
Default Re: Female teams vs Mens team in real sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminy [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Good stuff. Didn't watch it all but skipped to the end and it seems like a close competitive match and the girls edged it. Awesome. 8th grade is 14 year olds, I believe(?) so not little kids anymore. Boys expect to be better than girls at sports by that age, but this team obviously wasn't and they looked pretty dejected in defeat. There was even an athletic and explosive boy playing but the girls were too good for them, ultimately. Some great shooting by that girl at the end, too.

@[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] may be interested in this.
Thanks @[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] for tagging me. Definitely brought back some memories. I don't have time to watch the entire game but I did love the parts of the girls celebrating and the guys confused on how this is happening. Both myself and the girl who beat me were both much higher skilled than the 8th graders of course. I do wish that they showed more of the post game celebration.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwertyuio For This Useful Post:
Old 13-Mar-16, 19:32
Points: 9,537, Level: 42 Points: 9,537, Level: 42 Points: 9,537, Level: 42
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminy [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Good stuff. Didn't watch it all but skipped to the end and it seems like a close competitive match and the girls edged it. Awesome. 8th grade is 14 year olds, I believe(?) so not little kids anymore. Boys expect to be better than girls at sports by that age, but this team obviously wasn't and they looked pretty dejected in defeat. There was even an athletic and explosive boy playing but the girls were too good for them, ultimately. Some great shooting by that girl at the end, too.

@[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] may be interested in this.
The girls got off to a very slow start and at one point were down 22-11. From that point on they outscored the boys 26-14. A remarkable comeback.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wsxqaz For This Useful Post:
Old 13-Mar-16, 19:57
Banned
Points: 8,399, Level: 39 Points: 8,399, Level: 39 Points: 8,399, Level: 39
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsxqaz [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The girls got off to a very slow start and at one point were down 22-11. From that point on they outscored the boys 26-14. A remarkable comeback.
don t want to ruin the fantasy, but the guys look like they don t know what they are doing...
Old 13-Mar-16, 23:16
Points: 57,375, Level: 100 Points: 57,375, Level: 100 Points: 57,375, Level: 100
Activity: 76.2% Activity: 76.2% Activity: 76.2%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,704 Times in 1,907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon55 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
don t want to ruin the fantasy, but the guys look like they don t know what they are doing...
They need not worry as the majority of males out there are cut from the same cloth. They talk the talk and overrate themselves but when you put them to the test, they're not as good as they wish they were.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jiminy For This Useful Post:
Old 14-Mar-16, 00:38
Points: 13,424, Level: 50 Points: 13,424, Level: 50 Points: 13,424, Level: 50
Last Achievements

I love this topic man... I remember when I was a 9-year-old boy. My friends and I challenged the girls to a soccer match. I don't know what the hell happened, but the girls destroyed us. We couldn't believe it because we were really good at soccer...

I still remember the score: boys 2 - 8 girls

I remember having a rematch, we still couldn't defeat them. The girls won 6-4... we had to admit we sucked. They just laughed.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Paschendale For This Useful Post:
Old 18-Apr-16, 16:06
Last Achievements

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

girls beat the boys in swimming
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wsxqaz For This Useful Post:
Old 18-Apr-16, 17:24
Points: 17,757, Level: 58 Points: 17,757, Level: 58 Points: 17,757, Level: 58
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,052 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
They need not worry as the majority of males out there are cut from the same cloth. They talk the talk and overrate themselves but when you put them to the test, they're not as good as they wish they were.
Sounds exactly like me when I was taught a lesson lol.
Old 18-Apr-16, 18:45
Points: 3,048, Level: 22 Points: 3,048, Level: 22 Points: 3,048, Level: 22
Activity: 17.1% Activity: 17.1% Activity: 17.1%

Old 18-Apr-16, 22:27
Points: 11,960, Level: 47 Points: 11,960, Level: 47 Points: 11,960, Level: 47
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,584 Times in 559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsxqaz [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The first comment is very good and detaily explains the match, but still hats off to those girls!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trump55 For This Useful Post:
Old 19-Apr-16, 01:34
Last Achievements

great story of another girls team beating the boys team at basketball.

The year was 1966. The location, West Milford, N.J. And Lois, (then Lois Pirog) was now in 8th grade. It had only been three years since the Equal Pay Act was passed, requiring that men and women be paid equal amounts for doing the same work. It would be six more years before Title IX would require that all public schools provide equal funding and resources for women's sports. And it would be another 15 years before the first woman would be appointed to the Supreme Court. In short, opportunities for women were very different than they are today.

Meanwhile, sports highlights were filled with images of Peggy Fleming winning Olympic gold in figure skating and Wilt Chamberlain dominating in the NBA. New shows like Batman and The Monkees were tops with television viewers while the Beach Boys and Beatles topped the charts. Kids were playing with the latest fad, the Ouiji Board, and a new pair of sneakers cost only $5.00.

In the four years since fourth grade, fortunes aligned, and despite the odds, Lois fell in with a crowd of other girls more interested in the drive, cross-over dribble, and shake-and-bake, than jump ropes, Barbies, tea parties, and other "girlie" trappings. In 1963, twin sisters Sheila and Kathy Rafferty (pictured above, with Lois on the left) moved to her neighborhood and became her classmates. With two brothers and a hoop in their driveway, the Rafferty girls played constantly, with Lois always joining them.

The following year, two more sisters, Kathy and Mary Klink enrolled at their school. Also amateur hoopsters, their mom had actually sent them to basketball camp the previous year--very unusual for girls of that era. Then there was Eileen Reilly, Lois' good friend who modestly said she played "a little bit."

"Eileen came to play with the Raffertys, Klinks, and me one day and 'Wow,' we thought. 'You've played more than just a little bit. In fact, you're better than any of us,'" recalls Lois. Apparently, that "little bit" of game with her numerous male cousins had paid off.

The group brought two more girls into the fold, gave them a crash course in the game, and by the start of 7th grade, they had a team--a good team. They won four of their five matches against other grade schools. And by the beginning of their 8th grade year, they had 14 games scheduled.

But then they faced their toughest obstacle--success. "Five games in, some of the teams didn't want to play us," says Lois. "We had won all of our games by at least 20 points and were told it was unfair to the other teams because we were much better than they were. [But we thought] it was actually unfair to us not to play the games we were promised. And even if those other teams couldn't beat us, they were still improving and should not have quit."

But quit they did, leaving the St. Ann's squad long on talent but short on competitors. It was then that league champions, the St. Joseph's boys' team, stepped in to fill the gap.

"We had seen some of the girls shoot in the gym and dribble, but we honestly never paid much attention to them," recalls Ed Littler, co-captain that season at St. Joe's. "We knew some of them were taller than us, but we weren't concerned. After all, they might have been good for being girls, but we were sure they couldn't play basketball on our level. We thought it would be good practice for us."

"They had no regard for our ability as basketball players," adds Lois, "and had said so many times before the game."

It was the first time anyone had heard of a girls' team playing a boys' team in grade school ball, and the girls were not only about to rise to the challenge. They were about to make local basketball history.

The first quarter started sloppily, with the girls throwing passes out of bounds and dribbling off their feet. Nerves. Then Kathy Klink sank three shots (one for each of the three boys guarding her), and the ladies of St. Ann's hit their stride. By the end of the first quarter, St. Ann's had tied St. Joseph's 10-10.

"They certainly showed they weren't apprehensive about playing against boys, and they had obviously played plenty of basketball," says Littler.

After a quick pep talk by their coach, the girls were ready for the second quarter. Lois stunned one hopeful when she, to his astonishment, blocked his shot.

"I just smiled as if to say, 'Yeah, girls can do that.'"

But even though the boys assumed they'd win, and the fans watched wide-eyed to see if a girls' team could possibly pull off an upset, for the girls' of St. Ann's it wasn't about gender. For all four quarters it was about the game.

"Back and forth it went, basket for basket," recalls Lois. "And I was really enjoying myself, thinking, 'This is a close game. This is really fun.'"

The girls took their first lead in the second quarter, and as halftime neared, St. Ann's led St. Joseph's 21-18. Then Eileen got the ball.

"As I and another guy guarded Eileen, we thought she would just bounce the ball until the clock ran out," says Littler. "She had other ideas. She faked to her right and my teammate lost his balance. So it was just me versus Eileen. I backed up a step before she dribbled toward me, to make sure she couldn't drive by me. That proved to be a major mistake. She had all the room she needed to make a move on me, pull up, and make a shot just as the half ended."

The girls of St. Ann's left the court leading 23-18. "Most of us couldn't believe what we had just seen," says Littler. "But as it turned out, much to our misfortune, they were just getting warmed up. They scored the first eight points of the third quarter, and before we knew what hit us, they stole the ball twice. We just couldn't keep them from scoring."

St. Ann's followed with rebound after rebound, lay-ups, defied steals, and a zone full-court press. The boys reeled in the presence of the taller, quicker, and more skilled girls' team. And in the third quarter, St. Ann's outscored St. Joseph's 14-5.

In an attempt to save face, the boys rallied at the start of the fourth quarter and went on a six-point run. But the lady hoopsters soon answered with six straight of their own, regaining their lead and thrilling the crowd.

"The crowd absolutely loved seeing a girls' team do quite a number on a hot-shot group of boys," remembers Littler.

When the final second ticked off the game clock, the girls of St. Ann's had trounced the St. Joseph's boys' basketball league champions, 49-33. "In the four years I had played organized basketball, I had never been on a team that lost a game by 16 points," says Littler. "Now I was, and it was to a girls' team."

With such a huge success under their belts and their athletic prowess established, St. Ann's tried hard to get more games with more boys teams. In fact, they asked at least a dozen, but no school would dare. One, St. Mark's took up the challenge, but only two days before the match, backed out.

In the years to follow, these girls would not go on to become star athletes. In fact, they wouldn't even play in high school, because many high schools back then didn't sponsor girls' basketball teams. Instead, these seven women would go on to play informal club ball in college, instruct occasional basketball clinics, start families, and remember fondly the day when they changed some minds about what females, and female athletes in particular, are capable of--proving that girls have game, too.

"All of these years later," says Lois, "I'm in touch with several of the guys we competed against that day. One of them in particular shares a smile with me about the game, knows I'll never let him forget it, and readily admits that losing to the girls of St. Ann's that night served him well in the long run. He said since then, he's never taken a woman for granted in athletics, business, or his personal life."

A lesson you all continue to teach each day on the court.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wsxqaz For This Useful Post: