Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 07-Nov-17, 23:02
Points: 57,567, Level: 100 Points: 57,567, Level: 100 Points: 57,567, Level: 100
Activity: 88.1% Activity: 88.1% Activity: 88.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,748 Times in 1,916 Posts
Default Re: WMMA news / general discussion

Selfishly I hope she doesn't need a whole year off but I wouldn't be surprised. I'd like to see Joanna against either Michelle or Tecia. Not sure if she gets the winner or loser.

With the UFC making so many weird decisions, I feel there's a small chance Felice Herrig gets the next title shot (should she get past Courtney Casey).

Rose vs. Felice would be a fun (and marketable fight). Rose wins though IMO (if her head is right).
Old 25-Nov-17, 18:42
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

The Following User Says Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 27-Nov-17, 00:41
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Bellator flyweight champ:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 28-Nov-17, 19:09
Last Achievements

Old 28-Nov-17, 21:25
Producer
Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Bellator flyweight champ:

Why did she say that?

Added after 18 minutes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Why did she say that?

Do you think that the UFC is deliberately trying NOT to market her? Or is it just that "the market" is not calling? How much does "the market" love Valentina...or any other fighter, for that matter?

Amanda was upset that she only earned $200,000 for beating Ronda, who received a guaranteed $3 million for that fight. It's ok to be upset, but "the market" dictated that disparity. When people pay to watch Amanda as much as people paid to watch Ronda, then Amanda will get paydays like Ronda. Pulling out of the main event last summer did not help her case either.

I like watching Amanda throw hands, but I'm a very rare customer. I think there can be a big payday in her future, but a lot of things need to fall into place...namely, the rise of a serious, camera-friendly contender.

Last edited by KillerCrushes; 28-Nov-17 at 21:23.
The Following User Says Thank You to KillerCrushes For This Useful Post:
Old 28-Nov-17, 22:05
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCrushes [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Why did she say that?

Added after 18 minutes:

Why did she say that?
It may be explained by her recent IG posting:

@ilimanator

16 days ago 5K likes 246 comments

Comment
5,236 likes

ilimanatorThis post is so special to me that it's gonna go over the IG caption limit. The reason this is really special to me is because it's about my...exes 😲*gasp*. I was very fortunate to have a huge support group in anything that I wanted to do. Whether it was going out for the wrestling team as a little 3rd grader, going away for college, even choosing a career in fighting after earning a Master's Degree, everyone had my back. Amidst my fight journey especially I've had nothing but loving and supportive parents, family, trainers, teammates and friends. I honestly cannot think of a single person in that entire group who told me even once that I couldn't or shouldn't do it. Throughout my entire life I've only had people encouraging me and supporting my dreams...until I got a boyfriend lol.

In the Toltec belief system, people fill your head with poison and your vision becomes fogged. They call this fog the mitote. To keep it brief, every single one of my ex-boyfriends hurt me very deeply and it affected my life so much that I seriously considered quitting fighting or moving out of state all together. As much as people think that I have no feelings when it comes to dudes, I'm still human and I absolutely feel pain and heartbreak. I remember my exes saying things like, "You think you're a professional athlete? You're a joke and I hope you get knocked out," (not gonna lie, that one was a pretty bad breakup &#128556. Or, "The only reason you made it this far is because good things happen to people after I tattoo them," (that wasn't verbatim, but you get the gist of it). Or my favorite, "Fuck her, I'm too hot for her anyway," (literally talking shit about me to another girl he was cheating on me with, the day before the biggest fight of my life...oh and while my coach was dying &#128580. These words didn't come from keyboard warriors or jealous shit talkers or even acquaintances. It came from people that at one point I cared very deeply about and loved. This made it that much more painful and harder to get over. I was hurt, bitter, angry, insecure and broken for a long time. I felt like I was a joke. I felt unattractive. I felt like I wasn't good enough.

I took those words to heart and spent a lot of my energy feeding my insecurities and feeding the poisonous mitote. So much so that I just couldn't be happy with a man who was actually good to me. It was then I realized that all I needed to do was direct my energy into attaining my goals, to prove these fuckers wrong. I may not be getting paid millions of dollars like he does, but I am truly happy making my own money and I wish him nothing but the best in life, despite our terrible breakup. And thanks for giving me this beautiful tattoo that I love so much and the insane party stories which I will write about in my tell-all-autobiography, but I really don't care if I never see you again and I think you're a psycho. And I might not have a perfect body or be an "Insta Model" douche, but looks are impermanent and I know that I have much more to offer someone than just my physical appearance. Also, fuck you.

Anyway, the point of this story is that becoming a world champion would not have been possible without these guys filling my head (and heart) with poison. I got rid of the poison by learning to forgive (not forgetting that shit though) and working even that much harder to succeed without them. Heartbreak and haters are the best motivation. So ladies (and fellas), if you've ever been fucked over by someone...GOOD! Use that shit to push harder in attaining your goals. And in my honest opinion, this belt is waaaaayyyyy better than a fuck ass boyfriend who doesn't support your dreams. So THANK YOU, exes. And also thank you to the little hoes out there that fucked with them while they were with me. Your vaginas deserve some credit too 👊🏽. #jesusforgivesyou #thehoeinmeseesthehoeinyou #broncos #tattooface #fuckboy

Quote:
Do you think that the UFC is deliberately trying NOT to market her? Or is it just that "the market" is not calling? How much does "the market" love Valentina...or any other fighter, for that matter?

Amanda was upset that she only earned $200,000 for beating Ronda, who received a guaranteed $3 million for that fight. It's ok to be upset, but "the market" dictated that disparity. When people pay to watch Amanda as much as people paid to watch Ronda, then Amanda will get paydays like Ronda. Pulling out of the main event last summer did not help her case either.

I like watching Amanda throw hands, but I'm a very rare customer. I think there can be a big payday in her future, but a lot of things need to fall into place...namely, the rise of a serious, camera-friendly contender.
Yeah, she was very classy before the Ronda fight, very understanding why she was not the focus of attention even though she was the champion. Gracious to a fault almost. After the fight she changed face, getting a bit snarky and butt-hurt about being disrespected and posting that pic with Ronda in a baby carriage. Surprising, but understandable. But she's been on this angry woman crusade ever since and it's not doing a thing to help her. Does she want SI to do a nude body paint issue with her? I doubt that, but maybe she'd do it for the $$$ if they asked, who knows. Can't imagine her expecting the type of opportunities the glam gals get, or even want them. But she should get back in the ring, build up a rep like Cyborg maybe, that would give her complaints more weight, methinks.

For FloCombat via A.G Fight

With six consecutive wins, two of them title defenses, UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes has reached the pinnacle of her sport. That doesn’t mean “The Lioness” is completely happy with her situation, though.

While having loads of success inside the cage, the road outside of the Octagon is a bit rougher for the Brazilian bomber. And that, according to Nunes, is mostly on the UFC because the promotion simply refuses to give her a significant marketing push.

Furthermore, after withdrawing from UFC 213’s headliner the day of the event for health reasons last July, UFC President Dana White even attacked his champion publicly.

"There's a point where, sometimes, I'd rather wait a bit and get a fight that sells," Nunes said.. "It's all about pay-per-view, everything revolves around that and I don’t really get a part of that. I don’t really fit the profile of a UFC champion, but they have to do [business] with me, even though they're never going to promote me to a level like they did Ronda Rousey or Holly Holm. They want blondies, cute little girls who fight and take pictures. Let's face it, I have to face the girls who sell best."

Nunes even goes as far as claiming that the UFC wants her off their bantamweight throne – and she’s not afraid to tell the bosses about her perception.

"They're not idiots, they know what they do," Nunes said. “It's all about marketing. That's why it's the UFC, that's why they're doing it. They want to get someone to beat me for me to get out badly. I told them about it, I know that's what they want, someone that they can really promote and make money with.”

That being said, Nunes doesn’t plan to change anything about herself to be able to draw more fans to her fights.

"Why?," Nunes asked. “I'm not going to be who I am [if I try to cater to the market]. It doesn’t make sense for me to change. You have to be who you are."

That’s not to say that Nunes doesn’t sometimes struggle with the disadvantages that come with being lesser known than some of her counterparts at the top of the sport.

"Every athlete depends on the money they make [with their sport]," Nunes said. “Obviously, I want to make money. Having the belt is a dream come true, but ultimately, you’ve got to have something in your bank account to be able to do your thing. It’s a good thing, but without the necessary publicity and marketing, things like sponsorships are difficult to get.

"The UFC only shows the good moments of some people and only the bad ones of others, which is the case with me, and every fight I have, it’s like this.”

Last edited by stymie; 29-Nov-17 at 05:47.
Old 02-Dec-17, 10:08
Points: 1,146,998, Level: 100 Points: 1,146,998, Level: 100 Points: 1,146,998, Level: 100
Activity: 81.0% Activity: 81.0% Activity: 81.0%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 153,790 Times in 13,793 Posts

The Following User Says Thank You to jovanzi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-Dec-17, 09:10
Last Achievements

Frank Pozen's blogspot:

Amanda Bobby Cooper vs Angela Magana from last night's UFC show in Detroit. Both fighters are terrible. So it's not a question of who's better. It's a question of who's worse. Angela has been around for years. She was in TUF 20. At one time she was an OK fighter. But injuries have really slowed her down. As a result, this is only her third UFC fight. She also exhibits unwarranted arrogance. Fans know she's terrible and I'm sure many were surprised she is still in the UFC. Amanda is from Michigan which is why she was on this show. She was on TUF 23. I've seen her since her Invicta days and she's just not very good. But she has a fan following because of her looks. As it turns out, Angela is worse but not by much. Once Amanda is on top of Angela, Angela can't get out from under. But Amanda should have finished her a lot sooner. As Joe Rogan points out, Amanda makes plenty of mistakes that would have got her into trouble against a good fighter. The only reason this fight goes almost two rounds is Amanda doesn't know how to finish. She's inept. Finally with less than a minute left in round two, ref Keith Peterson tires of telling Angela to fight back and he ends the fight. Mercy for Angela and us. I'm sure plenty of fans are happy to see Angela get her ass kicked. Not me. I just thought the fight was sad to watch. Neither belongs in the UFC.

Felice Herrig vs Cortney Casey from last night's UFC show in Detroit. These two are decent fighters who are looking to move up in the rankings. Felice seems to have improved a lot lately. And Cortney is OK but I'm not sure she is any better than a midcard fighter. I was hopeful this would be entertaining but it wasn't. They didn't seem to want to fight each other. It was like a three round sparring session. The most entertaining part of the fight was when they flipped the bird at each other during round three. Unfortunately this was bleeped by Fox. I guess they weren't too happy with each other. I'm sure if they were asked why there was no action in the fight, they would blame each other. In the end, Felice won by split decision. But the fight was a dud so I don't really care who won. I think everyone including the fans lost. I've said this before but a win is not just a win especially for someone like Felice who wants into the title picture. She didn't do herself any favors.

Tecia Torres vs Michelle Waterson from last night's UFC show in Detroit. Both fighters have title aspirations. I think they are both overrated for different reasons. And in this fight we see the flaws that I think will prevent either from getting near the title. Tecia is mainly a kickboxer with no power or ground skills meaning she's a points fighter. In her last fight, she got her first ever submission win over Julianna Lima. I don't see her doing that against better fighters. When Michelle first came to the UFC, I thought she would have problems with some of the better Strawweights because she's an Atomweight. And that has proven to be true. And injuries have slowed her down. Round one was close. I don't think either of them did much. I scored it 10-9 for Tecia very marginally. Round two was much easier to score. It went to the ground and that gave the edge to Michelle because Tecia is useless on the ground. So I scored it 10-9 for Michelle. The problem was that took a lot out of Michelle and she didn't seem to have much left in round three. And her left eye was closed. I don't think she could see much. Tecia was much fresher in round three. I credit that to training in the high altitude in Colorado. Tecia was winning the round anyway and then she got on top of Michelle and pounded her. I think she did enough to get a stoppage. But the ref let it go and Tecia won by unanimous decision. Afterwards, Tecia asked for a title shot. I don't think she's getting it yet. There are other contenders like Cynthia Calvillo for example. The situation is tougher for Michelle. Ideally, the UFC should start an Atomweight division. I don't see that happening immediately. That leaves Michelle spinning her wheels at Strawweight because she won't be released. That's a tough spot.
Old 09-Dec-17, 18:08
Points: 1,146,998, Level: 100 Points: 1,146,998, Level: 100 Points: 1,146,998, Level: 100
Activity: 81.0% Activity: 81.0% Activity: 81.0%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 153,790 Times in 13,793 Posts

The Following User Says Thank You to jovanzi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-Jan-18, 09:10
Points: 57,567, Level: 100 Points: 57,567, Level: 100 Points: 57,567, Level: 100
Activity: 88.1% Activity: 88.1% Activity: 88.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,748 Times in 1,916 Posts

Quite a few WMMA fights coming up in January and more being signed.

Invicta FC 27 is on the 13th of Jan and is headlined by Sarah Kaufman vs Pannie Kanziad.

There's 4 WMMA fights the following night at UFC Fight Night 124:

Paige VanZant vs. Jessica Rose-Clark (125)
Jessica Eye vs. Kalindra Faria (125)
JJ Aldrich vs. Danielle Taylor (115)
Irene Aldana vs. Talita Bernardo (135)

UFC 220 (20th January) sees Maryna Moroz vs. Jamie Moyle (115 fight)

UFC on Fox 27 (27th January) has 3 WMMA fights:

Mara Romero Borella vs. Katlyn Chookagian (125)
Randa Markos vs. Juliana Lima (115)
Justine Kish vs. Ji Yeon Kim (125)

I suppose I am mostly looking forward to PVZ's fight. PVZ never puts on a boring fight and it'll be interesting to see how she performs in a higher weight class. Clark is a solid competitor.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how Katlyn Chookagain gets on at 125. I feel she could be a formidable force in that weight class.

Also of note; Yana Kunitskaya is coming to the UFC. She'll fight Sara McMann at UFC on Fox 28 in February. No surprise they feel the need for more 135 fighters with numerous girls dropping to 125 and/or stepping away from the sport in the case of Ronda & Miesha.

Cat Zingano vs. Ketlen Viera is also booked for UFC 222 in early March. This fight may well be a title eliminator. Zingano has a win over Nunes and Viera is an undefeated prospect rising up the ranks. The sparseness of the division helps her ascension too.

Last edited by jiminy; 08-Jan-18 at 05:19.
The Following User Says Thank You to jiminy For This Useful Post: