Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 16-Sep-16, 05:48
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts
Default Julianna Pena

The Following User Says Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 16-Sep-16, 06:44
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,688 Times in 9,926 Posts
Default Re: Julianna Pena

Let's hope we see Nunes vs Pena at MSG.
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Old 17-Sep-16, 12:59
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Last Achievements

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
September 16, 2016 8:37 am

The Venezuelan Vixen’ is currently riding a 4-fight win streak that most recently saw her pick up a unanimous decision win over Cat Zingano at UFC 200 in July. Pena, who is ranked at #5 on the UFC’s official women’s bantamweight rankings behind Miesha Tate, Ronda Rousey, Valentina Shevchenko, and Holly Holm, took to social media with quite the message for Nunes:

#TBT Amanda is ducking me!! She's waiting to fight Honda. #FIGHTME! I don't blame her because she knows Honda is the easiest fight in the division now. She's broken. She's the easiest pay day for Amanda. Amanda is sitting on the sideline as the "champ" when all the girls before her didn't! Holly and Miesha are true fighters. They didn't wait. They didn't hide their belts and wait for a pay day. They fought. They acted like the champion should. They looked at the next toughest girl in line and said 'let's find out who's best' like a #champion should. That's how Amanda got her shot! Had they waited for Honda, there's no Holly v. Miesha and that amazing dramatic finish that will be remembered for years! There's no Miesha v. Amanda HEADLINING historic UFC 200! None of that happens if these women stopped and hid their belts and waited for Honda!! Now we have a chance to fight at the first @ufc event EVER at #MSG and you want to sit and wait?! Be a true #champ and get in the cage and prove you're the champ! If Amanda thinks she can beat me, then what is she waiting for? The fact is she is ducking me. She's #scared and she should be! I'm the only #undefeated #girl on the #bantamweight roster that has not lost in the #ufc #octagon! 7-0. I'm fighting Amanda next ! Get your popcorn ready and if you don't believe me ? bet against me and lose the farm then! #quitplayin #quitduckin #dontbescaredhomey #JuliannaPeña #HeartGritDisciplineDetermination #YouCantStopMe #RealTalk @Amanda_leoa #WeAintNewToThisWeTrueToThis #LatinaHeat

Since winning the belt back in July, there has been no word yet on when Nunes will look to defend her championship. With Ronda Rousey’s return still quite-a-ways away, who would you like to see her defend her belt against first?

Last edited by stymie; 17-Sep-16 at 13:09.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-Oct-16, 02:32
Last Achievements

Julianna Pena -- MMA's 'Venezuelan Vixen' -- wants to fight the good fight
Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports
Oct 6, 2016

In mixed-martial arts fighting, the aim is basic: to subdue or overcome an opponent by whatever allowed means one can.

It's something Julianna Pena has excelled at during her UFC career. Pena believes she should be the next female bantamweight fighter in line for a title match. The delay is making her impatient.

"It's politics," Pena said. "It's a popularity contest. Right now, we're living in the Ronda Rousey show and whatever that spoiled little princess wants, she's going to get. Everyone else gets put back on the back burner in the meantime."

In some ways, Pena's words echo those of Brazil's Jose Aldo, who recently claimed that Conor McGregor, another popular fighter, "is in charge of the UFC." Both Pena and Aldo are essentially accusing the UFC of giving certain fighters unfair privileges regarding when and who to fight.

Though McGregor and Rousey have large fan bases, one key difference between the two is that Rousey has not fought since losing to Holly Holm last year, while McGregor defeated Nate Diaz in August and is fighting Eddie Alvarez in November. Rousey's defeat presaged more turnover in her division. No female fighter has successfully defended the bantamweight title since Rousey lost it. Holm gave up the title to Miesha Tate, who then was defeated by the current champion, Amanda Nunes. Pena is convinced she has paid her dues and deserves her own shot at the championship.

"I have taken the tough fights," Pena explained. "I've beaten the top-ranked girls. I beat No. 3, Cat Zingano and I took her ranking and [Valentina Shevshenko] jumps ahead of me, who already lost to the champion and they want me to fight her? I already fought No. 3 and took her out and you said I was going to get a title shot then."

Pena rejected a proposed UFC 205 bout against Shevshenko, who recently defeated Holm.

"I value myself as a fighter; I'm unbeaten in the UFC Octagon," said Pena. "Until they have a signed fight for Ronda Rousey or Amanda Nunes, I'm not going to make a move."

Part of Pena's willingness to hold out for a fight that matters comes from lessons learned the hard way in her journey through mixed-martial arts. She got a late start in the sport, beginning at the age of 19.

"My sister invited me to a woman's cardio kickboxing class," said Pena. "It was love at first punch. My coach said I was a natural and I just kept coming back to his cardio kickboxing classes. They invited me to stay for the MMA classes."

Though she realized that her chosen sport was dominated by those who usually had years of training in some sort of martial arts discipline before switching to MMA, Pena persevered.

"I'd go every night and train," Pena said. "A lot of parents start their kids off in karate or taekwondo or judo, or stuff like that. I'd never done any sort of combat sport before."

Determined to catch up, Pena didn't let her lack of finances slow down her training.

"I couldn't pay for my gym dues to train there, so I cleaned the gym every single day in order to pay for my dues so I could train," said Pena. "I just kept doing that progressively for about six months before I took my first fight."

The youngest in an active family, Pena did have in her favor a generally athletic background that improved rapidly with regular training.
Julianna Pena won the women's bantamweight final fight during The Ultimate Fighter season 18. Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Getty Images

"[My coach] did talk about how some kids who started doing combat sports at a younger age had more injuries and they didn't let their bodies develop into adulthood before fighting and had several problems," Pena said. "He was never worried about the fact that I hadn't learned anything prior. He just kind of molded me into the fighter that you see today."

Though her coaches spotted her natural talent quickly, Pena's family wasn't so convinced about a profession in MMA.

"At first, they weren't all OK with it; my dad doesn't want to see his baby girl get punched in the face," Pena explained. "They are all supportive now and they all think now that it made a lot of sense, the career that I chose."

Pena's family has inspired her UFC nickname.

"When I think of being Venezuelan, I just think of my dad and how his story is so significant, coming to America and how he immigrated here," Pena said. "It makes me very proud to know that I am Venezuelan and that those are my roots."

The "vixen" part of her name also comes from that heritage.

"Venezuelans are extremely vain people," laughed Pena. "They love to dress up. The women and the girls there are raised up as little princesses from the moment they come out of the womb - divas."

Pena recalled female relatives in Venezuela telling her not to smile when she visited, in order to avoid wrinkles. The risk of putting her looks in danger while fighting isn't one she worries about much, though. She confesses to enjoying dressing up on her days off.

"It's like beauty and the beast. You go from one extreme of being a beautiful woman and no one would ever assume that you're a fighter, to being ruthless, an absolute monster when you're getting in the cage. It's a major contrast, but I feel that it empowers women, to know that they don't have to be just super-girly. It's something that I prove to myself every time I get in that octagon - that I can do it. Si se puede!"

Though sometimes exasperated with UFC management, Pena is also grateful that the organization made the choice to open a women's division three years ago. It came at a crucial time for her. After dominating opponents in her early fights, she didn't prepare well and lost two in a row. Pena nearly quit MMA, but then was invited to and won the UFC's Ultimate Fighter show. After that came the brutal grind to rehab and rebound from a devastating, career-threatening knee injury. Pena credits her mental toughness for her comeback, which took over a year.

"It's not something that you can teach. Some people are going to quit and give up; other people are not going to tap when they get their arm broken. They'll keep fighting with one arm."

Unbeaten now in all her UFC fights, Pena wants a title shot badly.

"I want the big fights," Pena said. "That's seven girls in a row that I've beat, you know."

She pointed out that in the 115 pound division, the Ultimate Fighter winner was immediately given a championship belt, and that fighters who won against fighters Pena had already defeated in her edition of the show, have also gotten title shots.

"I feel like it's not fair and it's not cool. I have proven myself time and time again."
Old 08-Oct-16, 02:58
Last Achievements

Julianna on the MMA Hour beginning at the 1:28 mark

Old 21-Oct-16, 17:28
Last Achievements

The Bottom Line: No Vale La Pena
By Todd Martin Oct 18, 2016

This has been the year of the outspoken mixed martial artist. From Jose Aldo and Cris Cyborg to Tyron Woodley and Mark Hunt, fighters from across the globe have stood up to speak their minds and oftentimes voice their disapproval with the state of affairs. The great Georges St. Pierre on Monday added his name to that list. With so many athletes eager to let their thoughts be known, we’ve heard plenty of good points and plenty of bad ones. There have been points articulated well and ones that probably should have gone through a public relations manager. However, there is no fighter who has combined terrible points with awful presentation quite as spectacularly as Julianna Pena, who is now angrily threatening to quit the Ultimate Fighting Championship because Ronda Rousey is fighting for the women’s bantamweight title at UFC 207.

Yes, Pena is threatening to quit the company because the most dominant fighter in the history of her division and one of the biggest drawing cards in the history of the sport is getting a chance to regain the title she dominated for years. It would be comical were the righteous indignation not so overwhelming. Rousey fighting for the title is as logical as it gets on both a business level and in terms of merit.

On the business level, UFC 207 “Nunes vs. Rousey” would likely gross in the vicinity of $60,000,000 more than UFC 207 “Nunes vs. Pena.” You don’t have to be wrapped up in financial reports to surmise why Rousey might be fighting for the title. It’s the functional equivalent of a local theater actor raging after trying out for a blockbuster movie because Brad Pitt got the lead role without even auditioning: “I would have killed it in ‘World War Z,’ but they didn’t even look at my tape as Angelo in ‘Measure for Measure!’

It would be one thing if Rousey getting a title shot were some sort of heinous injustice. However, even putting aside economics, Rousey has a perfectly valid claim to a title shot upon her return. Just like Anderson Silva, B.J. Penn, Randy Couture and Frankie Edgar before her, Rousey has built up an impressive enough resume that it’s understandable she would receive a title shot after falling short in a title fight. She was the 135-pound queen for over three years, with eight consecutive title wins via stoppage and seven of those in the first round. She’s a nearly 2-to-1 betting favorite to regain her title against Nunes for a reason.

Beyond Rousey, there’s also the matter of the person voicing the complaints. Even if you get why Conor McGregor is fighting Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205 and don’t have a problem with it, you have to at least understand why Jose Aldo is so angry. This is a fighter who dominated his division for years on end and then defeated the other top contender in the division with the promise that McGregor would have to fight the winner of that fight or vacate his featherweight title. The UFC did wrong by Jose Aldo, putting all other issues aside.

What did the UFC do to Pena that was so terrible? First, it gave her a spot as the featured preliminary bout on the high-profile UFC 200 card, above the likes of Johny Hendricks, T.J. Dillashaw and Gegard Mousasi. This was despite her embarrassing the company by getting arrested for a street fight after her last UFC bout. Then, it offered her a fight against a higher-ranked opponent with a better record and a more impressive resume who was coming off a win over one of the biggest names in MMA in front of the UFC’s largest TV audience in a year and a half.

Imagine the nerve of the UFC to offer her that. She has seven straight wins counting “The Ultimate Fighter,” and a couple of those fighters are still in the UFC, to boot! It wasn’t just that Pena didn’t want to fight Valentina Shevchenko; the fight was an insult. She’s livid that Rousey is being “handed” a title shot but is unwilling to fight for hers. She beat Jessica Eye and Cat Zingano; that’s an open-and-shut case right there.

That last point touches on the most striking part of Pena’s ranting and raving: the rank hypocrisy of it all. She belittles Rousey as an unimpressive and unworthy fighter because she is returning after a year off and a loss, yet Zingano is far and away the biggest win of her career and was coming off a longer layoff and quicker loss coming into that fight. She blasts Rousey for having “been on vacation,” when Rousey and Pena will end up having the same number of fights in 2016 and Rousey will have fought twice as many times as Pena over the last three years.

The hypocrisy doesn’t end there. Pena trashes Rousey for supposedly ducking fighters like her while she ducks Shevchenko. That’s not even taking into account that Rousey was taking on higher-ranked opponents when she supposedly didn’t want to fight Pena while “The Venezuelan Vixen” can’t be bothered to fight an opponent that is ranked higher than she is. Meanwhile, Pena rips Rousey for being handed things and then in the same interview says she wants to jump to Combate Americas because they’ll hand her the title there. There’s nary a word that comes out of her mouth that isn’t contradicted by an action she has taken.

If Pena is dead set on not fighting any other contenders in the UFC and would prefer to fight for Combate Americas, the UFC should just offer her the opportunity to leave. It would be unlike Pena to get cold feet on that threat since she has been so clear with her words, and surely, the greater money, publicity and competition in Combate Americas would advance her career remarkably. Fighters like St. Pierre and Aldo are worth going the extra mile to placate. Others just aren’t worth the bother.
Old 18-Dec-16, 17:54
Last Achievements

Julianna Peña threatens to quit if title shot isn't next

Women's bantamweight contender Julianna Pena has yet to lose a UFC fight in her career.
Dec 16, 2016
Brett Okamoto
ESPN Staff Writer

If Julianna Peña defeats Valentina Shevchenko on Jan. 28 and still doesn't get a UFC title shot, it won't be just business as usual.

Peña is scheduled to headline next month's UFC Fight Night event in Denver, but isn't afraid to admit she's "not happy" about the matchup.

After defeating Cat Zingano at UFC 200 in July, Peña felt she had earned a shot at Amanda Nunes for the UFC's bantamweight championship. That shot went to Ronda Rousey instead, who lost the title to Holly Holm in shocking fashion last year and hasn't fought since.

"Girls who are coming off knockout [losses] get to fight for the title again," said Peña, who is 4-0 in the UFC and has won The Ultimate Fighter reality series.

"I still have yet to wrap my brain around the fact that I've beaten everybody and still not been able to sniff a title shot."

Peña (8-2) hasn't been afraid to share her opinion. Earlier this year, Shevchenko revealed she'd been approached about fighting Peña at UFC 205 on Nov. 12 in New York. Peña responded, matter-of-factly, that she was more interested in a title fight.

When the shot went to Rousey (12-1), Peña was so upset she openly talked about fighting outside the UFC. She eventually agreed to the Shevchenko bout, in part because it was a five-round main event.

After that, if the UFC tries to book another bantamweight title fight without her, the consequences will be severe, according to Peña.

"If not this time, I will raise hell," Peña said. "I think [UFC president Dana White] knows I'm a firecracker and I definitely don't think he wants to see the wrath that will come if I don't get a title shot.

UFC bantamweight Julianna Pena sounds off on why she's unhappy with her Jan. 28 return bout. Listen (Julianna joins apx 52m in)

"I think he definitely knows I'm the clear-cut answer for getting a title shot and I've been the clear-cut answer. If I don't get a title shot, I quit."

Peña, who has moved her training from Spokane, Washington, to Chicago ahead of this bout, said she was also irked about the recent announcement of an inaugural featherweight championship fight between Holm and Germaine de Randamie.

According to Peña, she's asked to fight "Harmless Holly" on several occasions, but it's never come together. Seeing Holm compete for a title even though she is coming off back-to-back losses is "bulls---," in Peña's book.

All that said, Peña says her focus is now on Shevchenko and she will take care of business on Jan. 28. The UFC better take care of business afterwards.

"I know she's going to be working her takedown defense immensely," Peña said. "She's going to be on her bicycle. I think it's funny she says I'm trying to escape a fight with her. I'm like, 'Honey, it has nothing to do with you. I'll fight you all day long and twice on Sundays. It has nothing to do with you besides politics at this point.'

"She says I'm running and escaping the fight? We'll see who's going to be on their bicycle and who's going to be standing in the center of the cage, ready to bite down on their mouthpiece."
Old 18-Dec-16, 21:16
Points: 15,348, Level: 53 Points: 15,348, Level: 53 Points: 15,348, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Julianna Peña threatens to quit if title shot isn't next

Women's bantamweight contender Julianna Pena has yet to lose a UFC fight in her career.
Dec 16, 2016
Brett Okamoto
ESPN Staff Writer

If Julianna Peña defeats Valentina Shevchenko on Jan. 28 and still doesn't get a UFC title shot, it won't be just business as usual.

Peña is scheduled to headline next month's UFC Fight Night event in Denver, but isn't afraid to admit she's "not happy" about the matchup.

After defeating Cat Zingano at UFC 200 in July, Peña felt she had earned a shot at Amanda Nunes for the UFC's bantamweight championship. That shot went to Ronda Rousey instead, who lost the title to Holly Holm in shocking fashion last year and hasn't fought since.

"Girls who are coming off knockout [losses] get to fight for the title again," said Peña, who is 4-0 in the UFC and has won The Ultimate Fighter reality series.

"I still have yet to wrap my brain around the fact that I've beaten everybody and still not been able to sniff a title shot."

Peña (8-2) hasn't been afraid to share her opinion. Earlier this year, Shevchenko revealed she'd been approached about fighting Peña at UFC 205 on Nov. 12 in New York. Peña responded, matter-of-factly, that she was more interested in a title fight.

When the shot went to Rousey (12-1), Peña was so upset she openly talked about fighting outside the UFC. She eventually agreed to the Shevchenko bout, in part because it was a five-round main event.

After that, if the UFC tries to book another bantamweight title fight without her, the consequences will be severe, according to Peña.

"If not this time, I will raise hell," Peña said. "I think [UFC president Dana White] knows I'm a firecracker and I definitely don't think he wants to see the wrath that will come if I don't get a title shot.

UFC bantamweight Julianna Pena sounds off on why she's unhappy with her Jan. 28 return bout. Listen (Julianna joins apx 52m in)

"I think he definitely knows I'm the clear-cut answer for getting a title shot and I've been the clear-cut answer. If I don't get a title shot, I quit."

Peña, who has moved her training from Spokane, Washington, to Chicago ahead of this bout, said she was also irked about the recent announcement of an inaugural featherweight championship fight between Holm and Germaine de Randamie.

According to Peña, she's asked to fight "Harmless Holly" on several occasions, but it's never come together. Seeing Holm compete for a title even though she is coming off back-to-back losses is "bulls---," in Peña's book.

All that said, Peña says her focus is now on Shevchenko and she will take care of business on Jan. 28. The UFC better take care of business afterwards.

"I know she's going to be working her takedown defense immensely," Peña said. "She's going to be on her bicycle. I think it's funny she says I'm trying to escape a fight with her. I'm like, 'Honey, it has nothing to do with you. I'll fight you all day long and twice on Sundays. It has nothing to do with you besides politics at this point.'

"She says I'm running and escaping the fight? We'll see who's going to be on their bicycle and who's going to be standing in the center of the cage, ready to bite down on their mouthpiece."
So she'll quit if she doesn't get the next title shot eh? Sounds like Meisha threatening to retire when she didn't get hers. Don't these girls realize that Dana really doesn't care? They're going to do what they want to do.
Old 15-Jan-17, 15:18
Last Achievements

Old 15-Jan-17, 17:05
Points: 12,856, Level: 49 Points: 12,856, Level: 49 Points: 12,856, Level: 49
Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,106 Posts

(Ignore what I said about Meisha, I misread, she said Amanda. Brain-fumble).

But on Pena, She is in a bit of a tough spot though cause there's been 4 champions (Ronda, Holly, Meisha, Nunes) in less than a year, I think, so there's a ton of rematches to work through. Fewer with Tate's retirement, but still quite a few.

So it's Nunes-Holly next, then does she get her shot as #5?

Do people here think she's as good as Nunes? Or is she all talk?

Last edited by LicensetoKill; 15-Jan-17 at 18:58.
The Following User Says Thank You to LicensetoKill For This Useful Post: