Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Community > General Discussion [Off-Topic]

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 16-May-18, 20:48
Points: 8,148, Level: 38 Points: 8,148, Level: 38 Points: 8,148, Level: 38
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Default Jiu-jitsu vs BJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Lunar [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Of course we'll never really know the real extent of this - the British government at the time probably would have played this down while the Suffragettes would have played it up for propanganda purposes. As usual, it would have been nice to know the facts.

One thing I do know for sure though is that the UK media has been fascinated by this for the last 30-odd years, there's a Channel 4 drama-documentary from the early 1980s that features this with some images - I think it's been mentioned on this site before too.

The British press (especially London's tabloids) plays by different rules than their American counterparts.

I don't know what combat art the women were supposedly using.

But jiu-jitsu is for grappling, not throws.
Old 17-May-18, 01:35
G-Force

Default Re: Suffrajitsu: Suffragettes Who Defended Women’s Rights With Jujitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClckwrkOra [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The British press (especially London's tabloids) plays by different rules than their American counterparts.

I don't know what combat art the women were supposedly using.

But jiu-jitsu is for grappling, not throws.
Incorrect. Brazilian Jiujitsu is grappling based. Traditional jiujitsu comes from Japan and is a full form martial art with all kinds of techniques, and many with the intent to maim or kill an enemy. The Gracies were introduced to it in the early 20th century by a Japanse practitioner and developed their own version. Those ladies practiced REAL jiujitsu
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 18-May-18, 22:35
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Incorrect. Brazilian Jiujitsu is grappling based. Traditional jiujitsu comes from Japan and is a full form martial art with all kinds of techniques, and many with the intent to maim or kill an enemy. The Gracies were introduced to it in the early 20th century by a Japanse practitioner and developed their own version. Those ladies practiced REAL jiujitsu

And your source of this information is what?
Old 18-May-18, 23:02
Points: 18,311, Level: 58 Points: 18,311, Level: 58 Points: 18,311, Level: 58
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 2,924 Times in 486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
They actually practiced a martial art popular at the time that was called "bartitsu" which combined the elements of boxing, jujitsu (the traditional kind that you described), cane fighting, and French kickboxing.

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

Here is an illustration of what their training was supposed to look like:

Old 18-May-18, 23:06
G-Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClckwrkOra [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
And your source of this information is what?
You can't Google Jujitsu?
The Japanese practitioner I referred to that taught the Gracies was technically a Judoka, so my error, but the point about original Jiujitsu/Jujutsu/Jujitsu or however the heck you wanna spell it still stands. Gracies borrowed Judo (which in itself borrows from Jujitsu) and created their own version focused on ground work called Brazilian Jujitsu. Again, the original art and the Brazilian art are only loosely linked. The Suffragettes practiced a form of the original as mentioned by Amazonia

Last edited by G-Force; 18-May-18 at 23:13.
Old 18-May-18, 23:13
Last Achievements

Quote:
You can't Google Jujitsu?

You realize that anyone can create or change Wikipedia entries.

That's why Wikipedia isn't a reliable first-hand source, as you're aware.

You didn't base your reply to me on Wikipedia, of course. Perhaps you'll share the first-hand source you used for your reply to me.
Old 18-May-18, 23:23
G-Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonia [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
They actually practiced a martial art popular at the time that was called "bartitsu" which combined the elements of boxing, jujitsu (the traditional kind that you described), cane fighting, and French kickboxing.

Here is an illustration of what their training was supposed to look like:

Awesome...this really makes me wonder if the Suffragettes women were the very first to begin the popularizing of martial arts for women in the 20th century. The explosion of women taking Judo happened not long after. Then Kungfu, Karate, Taekwondo, etc.

Last edited by G-Force; 19-May-18 at 01:12.
Old 18-May-18, 23:26
Last Achievements

Quote:
Awesome...

You've quoted Wikipedia twice.

You do have a first-hand source for your information, right?
Old 18-May-18, 23:29
G-Force

Quote:
You realize that anyone can create or change Wikipedia entries.

That's why Wikipedia isn't a reliable first-hand source, as you're aware.

You didn't base your reply to me on Wikipedia, of course. Perhaps you'll share the first-hand source you used for your reply to me.
And again Ill ask the question...are you not able to use Google? I guess I took it for granted that what I said was already common knowledge at least by those that are martial arts fans. If you doubt me then by all means do your own research. And you are wrong, while people can edit Wikipedia those edits are closely monitored and corrected as needed by the originators.
Old 18-May-18, 23:29
Last Achievements

Quote:
And again Ill ask the question...are you not able to use Google? I guess I took it for granted that what I said was already common knowledge at least by those that are martial arts fans. If you doubt me then by all means do your own research. And your wrong, while people can edit Wikipedia those edits are closely monitored and corrected as needed by the originators.

So you make a factual claim, but you're unwilling to provide a first-hand source of information to support it.

I wonder why.
The Following User Says Thank You to ClckwrkOra For This Useful Post: