Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Community > The Forum

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

View Poll Results: Do we need a separate subforum for women's MMA?
Yes 79 54.86%
No, but let's move all WMMA topics to General Discussion (off-topic) subforum 27 18.75%
No, let's leave everything as is 38 26.39%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-Jan-17, 10:36
Points: 563,346, Level: 100 Points: 563,346, Level: 100 Points: 563,346, Level: 100
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 47,590 Times in 2,517 Posts
Default Re: Do we need a separate subforum for women's MMA?

I don't really have a horse in this race, as I don't visit the discussion board all that frequently - primarily because the majority of discussion there tends to be around mixed combat and sessions especially.

Right now, there are just four threads on the first page of the discussion board relating to MMA (five, if you count KC's 'fear of getting punched' thread). There are more than twice as many threads related to Sessions and Session Wrestlers (the rest is mainly your standard fantasy stuff... although no 'What if Britney wrestled a Panda?' posts right now ).

As someone who only dips into the discussion board occasionally, I do think it's nice to see a little variety of topics there, rather than it being all about mixed fighting and all about session wrestling. At the end of the day, the title of the board is "Wrestling & Fighting Discussion". And women's MMA clearly comes under that description.
The Following User Says Thank You to FootPower For This Useful Post:
Old 05-Jan-17, 21:04
Producer
Points: 27,518, Level: 72 Points: 27,518, Level: 72 Points: 27,518, Level: 72
Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,066 Posts

I'd suggest asking this question again when we're more than a couple of days removed from a major women's MMA title fight.

My general thought is that I would not want to cannibalize the main forum by taking all the fun MMA threads someplace else, but it's possible we may be able to generate more interesting threads by combining most of that content in its own space.

I think my feelings on the question align with FootPower's.
Old 05-Jan-17, 23:21
Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Yeah, move everything. We're talking about a sport here, not fantasy. A lot of the fantasy fans really aren't all that interested in this topic. Creating two separate boxes makes it easier for the MMA fans to find what they want, and for the non MMA fans to skip.
Old 06-Jan-17, 01:08
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,194 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCrushes [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
My general thought is that I would not want to cannibalize the main forum by taking all the fun MMA threads someplace else, but it's possible we may be able to generate more interesting threads by combining most of that content in its own space.
But is it really "cannablizing" the main forum? Are the threads really going "someplace else" or just being moved to a different place of the same page? Would it really disrupt things, to any great extent?
Old 06-Jan-17, 09:29
Points: 10,279, Level: 43 Points: 10,279, Level: 43 Points: 10,279, Level: 43
Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,099 Times in 107 Posts

I personally find it annoying when posters throw in f/f material into what is otherwise a mixed wrestling thread on a mixed wrestling forum site, as if there is no difference. So, anything to keep f/f material separate and clearly labeled so that I don't waste time clicking on it is welcome.
Old 06-Jan-17, 10:02
Points: 563,346, Level: 100 Points: 563,346, Level: 100 Points: 563,346, Level: 100
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 47,590 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
But is it really "cannablizing" the main forum? Are the threads really going "someplace else" or just being moved to a different place of the same page? Would it really disrupt things, to any great extent?
But by the same thinking, do the MMA threads disrupt anything to any significant degree now? We're talking about a few clearly labelled threads on a discussion board where the discussion purports to be about "Wrestling and Fighting". It just seems weird to me that that might now actually mean "Wrestling and Fighting, although not all wrestling and fighting because although women's MMA is by its very definition a wrestling and fighting sport it isn't the specific wrestling and fighting that can be discussed on this wrestling and fighting discussion board"

Which isn't quite as catchy.

I guess my feelings are that if you start segregating specific (and on-topic) subjects of discussion to separate forums, it might discourage further discussions on the general board about anything that isn't directly related to sessions or mixed wrestling fantasies. And it was only recently in another thread that Zweig was lamenting a lack of discussion on that board...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweig [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
This is a concern of mine as well. While there is a fair amount of activity, it could certainly be better. I think Videos, Pictures and especially Stories section are doing well. The discussion section - not so much.
Old 06-Jan-17, 18:54
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,194 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootPower [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
But by the same thinking, do the MMA threads disrupt anything to any significant degree now?

I guess my feelings are that if you start segregating specific (and on-topic) subjects of discussion to separate forums, it might discourage further discussions on the general board about anything that isn't directly related to sessions or mixed wrestling fantasies. And it was only recently in another thread that Zweig was lamenting a lack of discussion on that board...
I don't see it as disruption in any way. Keep it, move it, neither is "disrupting" anything that I can see. My main argument would be that WMMA threads are separated from most other things on this site, in that there is no fantasy or fetish element to them. The WMMA discussions seem to operate on a different plane than most others.

A secondary argument would be that it makes the threads easier to find. With Ronda likely gone from the scene, I suspect there will be more threads about different fighters, maybe a thread where podcasts and videos are posted...it seems to be a growing area of interest. Maybe that's just my bias because I tend to follow WMMA closely.
Old 06-Jan-17, 19:29
Producer
Points: 27,518, Level: 72 Points: 27,518, Level: 72 Points: 27,518, Level: 72
Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,066 Posts

Ok, I've been badgered into agreeing with the "yes" group. Way to go, fellas! lol You're all making excellent points and I do believe there will be enough articles and clips to keep conversations active, even if we are months away from the next "big" women's fight.

One of the other reasons is that I've now read the entire Rousey-Nunes thread and despite almost all the content being related to that matchup, there are clearly clips posted there that need to have their own threads, which would be far more appropriate if MMA had its own section here.

If that sub-board is created, I would like to nominate Stymie to be moderator. He's consistently been the best at tracking down and posting discussion-worthy content.
Old 09-Jan-17, 01:17
Points: 19,566, Level: 61 Points: 19,566, Level: 61 Points: 19,566, Level: 61
Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,674 Times in 244 Posts

Yeah, if it were up to me I'd prefer F/F and F/M matches to be seperate topics entirely
Old 10-Jan-17, 23:50
Points: 57,597, Level: 100 Points: 57,597, Level: 100 Points: 57,597, Level: 100
Activity: 92.9% Activity: 92.9% Activity: 92.9%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,751 Times in 1,917 Posts

I'm in favour of an MMA or FvF combat sports sub-forum. We've got another Invicta event, Shevchenko vs. Pena and Holm vs. De Randamie coming up in the next few weeks.