Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

View Poll Results: Who will be winner?
Ronda Rousey 158 61.72%
Jean Claude Van Damme 98 38.28%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19-Jul-16, 02:17
Points: 15,837, Level: 54 Points: 15,837, Level: 54 Points: 15,837, Level: 54
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,287 Times in 331 Posts
Default Re: Ronda Rousey: Official Discussion Thread

Rousey has a distorted perspective of this sport, which is why it hurt her so much to lose. As Tate said, I don't think she's emotionally stable enough to have a long-lasting career in UFC.
Old 20-Jul-16, 21:42
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

The 29-year-old UFC star penned a powerful essay for Refinery29

In her piece, Ronda urges women to celebrate their shortcomings as she insists their struggles are what make them 'tougher' and 'better'

The former UFC bantamweight champion credits judo for teaching her how to embrace her imperfections and focus on her goals
Old 21-Jul-16, 03:31
Points: 9,308, Level: 41 Points: 9,308, Level: 41 Points: 9,308, Level: 41
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Has she not been airbrushed and most likely photoshopped in many Maxim and Sports Illustrated photos? Has she not ridiculed Cyborg for looking manly? The hypocrisy is laughable.
The Following User Says Thank You to paul0415 For This Useful Post:
Old 24-Jul-16, 23:38
stymie
This message has been deleted by stymie.
Old 31-Jul-16, 00:50
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Old 31-Jul-16, 01:18
Last Achievements

There’s Nothing Perfect About Social Media in Ronda Rousey’s Eyes
Posted by: Blair Hammond
Senior Manager
Global Newsroom
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

When your job is crawling into an Octagon and looking an opponent square in the eyes, “face-to-face interactions” begin to take on a whole new meaning.

But Ronda Rousey says it’s not her championships but rather social media that’s actually changing the way she interacts with people—and not in a good way.

While the endless scroll of entertainment is welcomingly mind numbing at times, there’s no debate that it’s changing the way humans speak to one another. That is IF they even speak to one another.

ronda social perfect never 1“Social media is taking the actual social out of how we communicate in a lot of ways,” she says. “No one has conversations on the phone anymore. People don’t want the inconvenience of saying ‘hello’ and saying ‘good bye.’”

For Rousey those everyday interactions are still important. The art of shooting the breeze is lost, and for someone as genuine and honest as Rousey, that’s a problem.

“There’s nothing in business school about how to interact and socialize with people. That’s something you learn through practice, and people aren’t practicing anymore. People are becoming socially awkward with each other,” she says while on set for the new Reebok “Perfect Never” campaign, celebrating and empowering women.

One might think that Rousey arrived at this conclusion by sifting through thousands of messages on platforms like Twitter and Facebook from critics demanding her to act a certain way. Instead, she’s seeing it with her own friends.

“I have friends that I’m realizing would actually rather text with me versus talking to me on the phone,” she says. “Why would you prefer one over the other when one is much more personal?”

Whether by tweet or by telephone, people always get the real Rousey. And in person it’s hard to ignore her crave for genuine interactions, stripped away of the BS of Hollywood and others’ expectations. ronda social perfect never group 1

“Women are such self-analytical beings that social media is making media permeate more of our lives all the time,” she says, when asked if this trend was putting needless pressure on women to be perfect.

For Rousey, maintaining authenticity in her posts to fans is vital, despite what other celebrities may be sharing.

“Everyone looks at them and wants to be like them,” she explains. “And if they’re setting out an unrealistic representation of who they are and have no problems and don’t go through the things that everyone else does, people start to think there’s something wrong with themselves because they never see other people going through it.”

Rousey is different. She bucks the trend and instead wears her heart on her sleeve. After wins, losses, premiers and book deals she still shares openly and honestly on social media with her fans and critics alike.

As for those taking a different approach, Rousey insists it may just be human nature.

“It’s the instinct of grooming or preening yourself for social acceptance,” she says of the Instagram culture that rules the lives of many women and can make some feel subpar. “It’s almost like hygiene these days. So when they’re tinkering with their social media, they’re grooming themselves or checking themselves in the mirror. It’s just it’s not your physical appearance, it’s your digital appearance.”

As a fighter, there’s no need for a mirror or perfection. Not when Rousey has her opponents staring back at her. All she needs is her head and her heart. So she’s keeping true to both and not worrying about posts or pins that insist she must be anything but herself.
Old 03-Aug-16, 01:16
Last Achievements

Ronda Rousey loses 'Captain Marvel' movie role to Oscar-winning actress
By Adam Guillen Jr.  @[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]GuillenJr on Jul 26, 2016

Sorry, Ronda Rousey, but the role of Carol Danvers, AKA, "Captain Marvel," has gone to none other than Oscar-winning actress Brie Larson.

Larson was confirmed and introduced as the next actress to join the Marvel family over the weekend during the festivities at San Diego’s Comic Con.

Rousey had expressed her interest in getting the gig last year during a fan chat on Reddit.

It didn’t take long for "Rowdy's" fans to get creative as they instantly took to Photoshop to bust out their best images of Rousey portraying the character, which you can check out here.

The fan art caught the attention of Marvel Studios producer Kevin Feige, who didn’t completely rule out Rousey as a potential candidate. Though we don't actually know if she was ever really in the running or even auditioned for the gig.

In the end, the studio went with Larson, a powerhouse of an actress who won an Oscar and a Golden Globe for leading actress for her portrayal as "Ma" in the award-winning film "Room" in 2015.

"Captain Marvel" is expected to hit theaters on March 8, 2019.

As for Ronda, she still has plenty on her Hollywood plate, as she is currently attached to the "Road House" remake and various other projects. As far as her mixed martial arts (MMA) career goes, that's still up in the air.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 14-Aug-16, 02:58
Last Achievements

Julianna Pena regrets choice of words, but unapologetic when it comes to Ronda Rousey
By: Steven Marrocco | August 12, 2016

UFC women’s bantamweight Julianna Pena is aware of the controversy caused by her recent comment toward ex-champ Ronda Rousey. She’s both regretful and defiant about her choice of words.

In an interview with TMZ, Pena said Rousey is “like the emperor and no clothes. She’s broken a little bit. I just think no one really cares about Ronda Rousey and her fat arms anymore. But I guess some people do.”

Pena’s use of the word fat drew immediate criticism from MMA observers who accused her of “fat shaming” the ex-champ, who’s spoken openly about her struggle with body issues and bulimia.

Pena (8-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC) today told MMAjunkie that she once struggled with weight issues, and while it isn’t her intention to fat shame anyone, she said her comments came out of frustration about being repeatedly asked by the media about Rousey (12-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) and her still-undefined career plans.

“I’m not trying to body shame her – I’m just sick of them asking me whether she’s in training or not training, or if she’s on a movie set, or if she’s having babies,” Pena said. “At this point, my Ronda meter is set. I’m done. I’m over it.

“And for the record, we are in the fight business, OK? I need to pick up fights. I need to pick up the best possible fights for me, and Ronda’s been needing an ass-kicking from me for a while. We’re not talking about puppies here. I’m not in the puppies business. My job is to hurt people, and I want to hurt Ronda Rousey, and that’s all it comes down to.”

“I still haven’t found the correct way to deliver it to make it sound nice. But I know what I mean, I mean what I say, and I don’t play back seat very well, if you couldn’t tell.”

Pena, who’s won four straight UFC fights and previously called out Rousey, said fans might also be forgetting she and “Rowdy” aren’t exactly the best of friends. Once a member of Miesha Tate’s team opposite Rousey on “The Ultimate Fighter 18,” she said the women’s MMA star once told her she didn’t deserve to breathe the same air.

“I think a lot of people have forgotten how rude and how much of a bitch she was to me on the show and the way that she treated me personally,” Pena said. “Those are things that I don’t forget. She’s disrespected me, and she’s disrespected my coach on the show. They ask about her all the time – ‘is she coming back, is she coming back’ – and I don’t know. But I would love to introduce her back into the division if she is, because that’s been a fight that I’ve been trying to get for many years now.”

That’s the message Pena said she wanted to convey when she made her comment about Rousey. Instead, she came off as mean-spirited, in the process undermining previous interviews in which she championed women in the UFC.

“I think it was the wrong choice of words,” she said. “What was in my head didn’t come out exactly the way I wanted it to through the media. I’m not trying to call her a fat person – I was basically commenting on how the media is always asking about her, whether she’s training or not, whether she’s coming back or not, whether she’s having that giant’s babies or not, and it’s so annoying at this point that I’m just like, forget about it. The buzz has died.

“I’m just saying the things that sometimes I feel these people are thinking. And the truth of the matter is, UFC, I’m sorry, she’s just not that into you. I am into the UFC, and I want to fight for the belt. This chick is standing in my way and teasing everyone whether she’s coming back or not, so I’ve had enough. I’ve literally had it up to here with this chick.”

Often, bad blood translates to a booked fight. But Pena, the No. 4 fighter in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA women’s bantamweight rankings, is uncertain as to what’s next for her career. Current women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes has called for her to face the surging Valentina Shevchenko in a title eliminator. But if she could call her shot, a fight with Rousey would be the best option.

“If they don’t want me to fight for the title, why not let me fight Ronda?” Pena said. “Why don’t they let a girl who’s coming off a loss fight a girl who’s never been beaten in the octagon? Why does she automatically jump ahead and get a title shot? Either let me fight Ronda, or let me fight for the title. Or she fights for the title and then has to fight me. I’m the real champ anyway, so why don’t they fight it out and come see me when they’re done?”

Rousey’s return is far from set in stone, of course. Since a knockout loss to Holly Holm this past November, her timeline for a return has been pushed back on multiple occasions. When she and the UFC decide to finalize a date, though, there will be no shortage of fighters waiting to meet her. At that point, Pena might have to make an exception for her favorite topic.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.
Old 14-Aug-16, 12:01
Points: 57,582, Level: 100 Points: 57,582, Level: 100 Points: 57,582, Level: 100
Activity: 92.9% Activity: 92.9% Activity: 92.9%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,751 Times in 1,917 Posts

Fat shaming... Give me a break. Pena shouldn't be apologizing.

It's okay for Conor to call Nate Diaz "flabby" and "lanky, skinny fat Mexican".

No one wants to hear these girls being nice to each other. That doesn't sell fights.
The Following User Says Thank You to jiminy For This Useful Post:
Old 24-Aug-16, 01:12
Last Achievements

I can understand why they'd want to make her return a title shot for the draw it would create, but after all this time (and it's not because of injury) I don't think it's quite fair...

Ronda Rousey will not fight at UFC 205 in New York; return talks ongoing

Ronda Rousey won't fight at Madison Square Garden but she will fight again
By Damon Martin
Aug 23, 2016 at 2:40p ET

Ronda Rousey will fight again, but it won't be at the UFC card in Madison Square Garden on Nov. 12.

UFC president Dana White revealed during the latest episode of "UFC Unfiltered" that Rousey will not return at UFC 205 as many expected when the promotion lands in New York City for the first time.

White said plans are being put together currently to assemble the historic card in New York, but Rousey is not expected to fight on the show in November.

Quote:
“She's definitely not fighting in New York. I'm actually going to start building the New York card this week.”
— Dana White
White finished out his discussion on Rousey by saying "nothing yet" has been planned, but sources speaking to FOX Sports have indicated that the former women's champion is plotting her return to action.

No contracts have been signed, but sources told FOX Sports that discussions are ongoing for Rousey's return to the Octagon and while New York is out of the picture, there's still a chance she fights again before the end of the year.

The UFC just recently announced a slew of cards to close out 2016 — the last one taking place on Dec. 30 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Rousey's return isn't set in stone nor has anything been offered or signed, but it appears there have been at least preliminary talks about her returning before the end of the year.

If those negotiations fall apart, Rousey would likely get pushed back until 2017 but it appears there's at least hope that she will fight again before 2016 is over.
Old 25-Aug-16, 18:56
Last Achievements

Well if this fight doesn't happen next I don't know what to think!

The Following User Says Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post: