Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 29-Jan-17, 17:52
Points: 5,775, Level: 32 Points: 5,775, Level: 32 Points: 5,775, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,259 Times in 314 Posts
Default Re: Shevchenko-Peña (no odds available yet)

I don't know why people are so surprised with the result. Pena is not a skilled grappler and never was. For me, a "grappler" in MMA is someone with a strong background in pure wrestling or pure BJJ. As far as I know, Pena started with cardio kickboxing and then joined MMA classes. She was never involved much in pure BJJ and doesn't have a high school wrestling or judo background either.

The reason why she won her fights with grappling is because she is one of the rare girls who are actually big enough to fight at 135 and managed to win fights with her strength advantage against mostly smaller or at least physically weaker girls. Technique-wise she was never anything special. She was basically a poor version of Ronda.

Valentina is not just a striker either, she started training MMA very early and participated in some vale tudo rules fights way before her prime in muay thai. She isn't a novice in grappling. The reason why she focused on muay thai is because at that point WMMA was a novelty and there weren't many fights available.

Technique-wise she is probably P4P the best or at least most complete in WMMA and would dominate in her natural division at 125 lbs.
Old 29-Jan-17, 18:08
Points: 1,146,998, Level: 100 Points: 1,146,998, Level: 100 Points: 1,146,998, Level: 100
Activity: 81.0% Activity: 81.0% Activity: 81.0%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 153,790 Times in 13,793 Posts

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

I enjoyed her dancing at the end.
Old 29-Jan-17, 18:10
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,193 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
From Frank Pozen's blog:

This was the main event of the show and the winner gets a shot at UFC Bantamweight Champion Amanda Nunes. Sometimes on this blog, I talk about a fighter beating herself. This fight is a perfect example of that. Julianna was winning this fight and she made a really stupid mistake and that was it. She beat herself and she should be kicking herself all the way home to Chicago. I still think she's a better fighter than Valentina but one mental error cost her. Round one of this fight was pretty close but I scored it 10-9 for Julianna. I thought she did well in the clinch with knees. Valentina got a couple of takedowns but she did nothing with top position. Two of the three judges scored it the same. In round two, Julianna took Valentina down and started pounding on her. So Julianna was winning. With a minute left, she left her arm open and Valentina did what any fighter should do and that's take advantage of an opportunity. If that doesn't happen, Valentina is down two rounds and she would need a finish in round three. So she probably saved herself from a loss. Does this mean that Valentina is now a submission ace? No because she hadn't won by submission in over ten years back when she was fighting regionally in Russia. And in those days MMA was a sideline for her. It takes more than one win to change my perception of any fighter. But she deserves credit for being opportunistic. A lot of fighters would not have recognized what Julianna handed to her and the ending would have been much different. So now she gets a title shot. Of course Amanda beat her by unanimous decision last year. I could see Valentina winning if she survives round one. Meanwhile Amanda keeps yapping about fighting at Welterweight. Dana White has put the brakes on that. Of course many are happy that Julianna lost because she has a big mouth. She has all the physical tools. But I'm not surprised that a mental error led to a loss. It's the one thing she needs to work on. Time will tell.
So biased and inaccurate it was barely worth reading. It's excusing the loss, nothing more. As pointed out, Pozen's a blogger, not an MMA journalist. He's long on opinion, short on actual MMA knowledge. Not the most credible commenter.
Old 29-Jan-17, 18:26
Points: 15,348, Level: 53 Points: 15,348, Level: 53 Points: 15,348, Level: 53
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
So biased and inaccurate it was barely worth reading. It's excusing the loss, nothing more. As pointed out, Pozen's a blogger, not an MMA journalist. He's long on opinion, short on actual MMA knowledge. Not the most credible commenter.
I actually gave the first round to Shevchenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoswrap [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Brings up an interesting point. When a fight ends by submission is there a way to find out how the judges had it scored so far?
Old 29-Jan-17, 18:48
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Was looking for an interview that went a bit deeper into Valentina's background and found this:

The whole thing is a good read but this answer, in particular, stood out:

<<When you’re not training what do you like to do with your free time ?

I am a dancer I have danced since childhood. I believe dancing helps me stay womanly while being engaged in combat sports! A woman must simultaneously show strength of mind, skill and show grace and the beauty inherent to her gender.
Women are different from men physically so we must utilize our high level of technique, flexibility, and speed and not try to be like men. The woman should remain a woman. Dancing is a remarkable way to help keep the softness, the elegance, and sensuality of a woman. Therefore I like to dance.>>

Uh.....yeah, what she said. That's the image of Shevchenko that's beginning to emerge...a highly skilled fighter who's both feminine and tough as nails.

There's also ths:

<<As for my other hobbies I love to practice shooting. In Peru my sister and I always compete in shooting tournament of the IPSC , IDPA and Tri Gun. When I am not training in martial arts, I am training for shooting competition.>>

Ok, she fights, she dances, she shoots but wait....there's more:

<<You recently graduated from the university of arts with a major in film directing can you tell is about that ?

I have graduated from the institute of arts as a film director. When I finish my sports career I will shoot films about martial arts. For me art is on the same level as martial art.>>

Added after 12 minutes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoswrap [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

Brings up an interesting point. When a fight ends by submission is there a way to find out how the judges had it scored so far?
I saw one report that said two judges had Pena winning the first. I think it's just a question of asking to see the score cards. I've seen stories that were accompanied by pics of the judges score cards.

Last edited by brooksie; 29-Jan-17 at 18:48.
The Following User Says Thank You to brooksie For This Useful Post:
Old 29-Jan-17, 19:15
Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31
Last Achievements

Quote:
I actually gave the first round to
Shevchenko.

Yes. That's public information after the fight.

BTW that blogger was completely off on one of his points. This was a 5 round fight. Even if Valentina lost the first 2 rounds, she wouldn't have had to dominate the third, just win it.

This loss won't hurt Julianna too much. It shows what I suspected, that she's a little too inexperienced yet to be top class. She should improve with time.

Because of her promoting ability, she's still the most natural match for Ronda if Ronda wants to fight again. Which I doubt.

And Valentina is a natural 125 pounder. But there's no weight class there. And maybe there should be. With Ronda out of the picture, maybe UFC should drop both the 115 and 135 classes, and create 125 and 145 instead. Think it's easier for women to fight at those weights.
Old 29-Jan-17, 19:38
Banned
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated G [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Yes. That's public information after the fight.

BTW that blogger was completely off on one of his points. This was a 5 round fight. Even if Valentina lost the first 2 rounds, she wouldn't have had to dominate the third, just win it.

This loss won't hurt Julianna too much. It shows what I suspected, that she's a little too inexperienced yet to be top class. She should improve with time.

Because of her promoting ability, she's still the most natural match for Ronda if Ronda wants to fight again. Which I doubt.

And Valentina is a natural 125 pounder. But there's no weight class there. And maybe there should be. With Ronda out of the picture, maybe UFC should drop both the 115 and 135 classes, and create 125 and 145 instead. Think it's easier for women to fight at those weights.
I think most WMMA fans (at least from what I gather off of Twitter) would prefer they add two divisions without taking any away. The idea most people seem to have is it's unfair to force women to compete way out of their natural weight classes. There's no longer any legitimate questions about the popularity or quality of WMMA and the majority seem to feel there's no reason for not filling in the gaps in weight classes. Also, I haven't seen many (if any) that expected, or thought, 145 would come before 125.

I haven't seen much call for this but my personal opinion is it's time for Dana White to move on. I'm not saying he hasn't done a lot for the sport, he has. But there's also a limit to how much any one person can accomplish as well as the sense that every person has their time to shine and that time eventually passes. I think that's happened to White, not to mention that being as wealthy as he is can dim the drive to accomplish things. He's worked hard, done well and could move on with a strong claim to having, basically, created the modern sport of MMA.
Old 29-Jan-17, 19:52
Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I haven't seen much call for this but my personal opinion is it's time for Dana White to move on. I'm not saying he hasn't done a lot for the sport, he has. But there's also a limit to how much any one person can accomplish as well as the sense that every person has their time to shine and that time eventually passes. I think that's happened to White, not to mention that being as wealthy as he is can dim the drive to accomplish things. He's worked hard, done well and could move on with a strong claim to having, basically, created the modern sport of MMA.
Yeah, I agree. I was surprised that he rolled over to his new bosses and didn't even acknowledge Mike Goldberg's contributions to UFC when they forced him out. That kind of tells me he's a bit burned out, and as much as he can, he's taking the money and running. It's not the same passion for him without his pals the Fertittas.

But who can replace him? Have they groomed anybody? Now may be the time to start.
Old 29-Jan-17, 21:19
Banned
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated G [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Yeah, I agree. I was surprised that he rolled over to his new bosses and didn't even acknowledge Mike Goldberg's contributions to UFC when they forced him out. That kind of tells me he's a bit burned out, and as much as he can, he's taking the money and running. It's not the same passion for him without his pals the Fertittas.

But who can replace him? Have they groomed anybody? Now may be the time to start.
I'm not sure how "groomed" a replacement should be. I don't think that's what fans and MMA media want. The stigma of a slick Hollywood corporation taking over their beloved sport is already strong with a lot of folks. If the new owners were smart, they'd appoint someone who's main qualities were sincerity and trustworthiness.
Old 29-Jan-17, 23:15
Banned
Last Achievements

Full fight here, for those that missed it:

Last edited by brooksie; 29-Jan-17 at 23:22.
The Following User Says Thank You to brooksie For This Useful Post: