Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 30-Jan-17, 00:46
Points: 15,348, Level: 53 Points: 15,348, Level: 53 Points: 15,348, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Default Re: Shevchenko-Peña (no odds available yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Was looking for an interview that went a bit deeper into Valentina's background and found this:

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

The whole thing is a good read but this answer, in particular, stood out:

<<When you’re not training what do you like to do with your free time ?

I am a dancer I have danced since childhood. I believe dancing helps me stay womanly while being engaged in combat sports! A woman must simultaneously show strength of mind, skill and show grace and the beauty inherent to her gender.
Women are different from men physically so we must utilize our high level of technique, flexibility, and speed and not try to be like men. The woman should remain a woman. Dancing is a remarkable way to help keep the softness, the elegance, and sensuality of a woman. Therefore I like to dance.>>

Uh.....yeah, what she said. That's the image of Shevchenko that's beginning to emerge...a highly skilled fighter who's both feminine and tough as nails.

There's also ths:

<<As for my other hobbies I love to practice shooting. In Peru my sister and I always compete in shooting tournament of the IPSC , IDPA and Tri Gun. When I am not training in martial arts, I am training for shooting competition.>>

Ok, she fights, she dances, she shoots but wait....there's more:

<<You recently graduated from the university of arts with a major in film directing can you tell is about that ?

I have graduated from the institute of arts as a film director. When I finish my sports career I will shoot films about martial arts. For me art is on the same level as martial art.>>

Added after 12 minutes:

I saw one report that said two judges had Pena winning the first. I think it's just a question of asking to see the score cards. I've seen stories that were accompanied by pics of the judges score cards.
I must not have been paying attention. I was on the phone due to an issue at my work for part of it. I was rooting for Shevchenko and was totally comfortable that she had it in the bag.

Last edited by Ricoswrap; 30-Jan-17 at 01:01.
Old 30-Jan-17, 11:15
Points: 57,582, Level: 100 Points: 57,582, Level: 100 Points: 57,582, Level: 100
Activity: 92.9% Activity: 92.9% Activity: 92.9%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,750 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by al89 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I don't know why people are so surprised with the result. Pena is not a skilled grappler and never was. For me, a "grappler" in MMA is someone with a strong background in pure wrestling or pure BJJ. As far as I know, Pena started with cardio kickboxing and then joined MMA classes. She was never involved much in pure BJJ and doesn't have a high school wrestling or judo background either.

The reason why she won her fights with grappling is because she is one of the rare girls who are actually big enough to fight at 135 and managed to win fights with her strength advantage against mostly smaller or at least physically weaker girls. Technique-wise she was never anything special. She was basically a poor version of Ronda.

Valentina is not just a striker either, she started training MMA very early and participated in some vale tudo rules fights way before her prime in muay thai. She isn't a novice in grappling. The reason why she focused on muay thai is because at that point WMMA was a novelty and there weren't many fights available.

Technique-wise she is probably P4P the best or at least most complete in WMMA and would dominate in her natural division at 125 lbs.
TBH, I wasn't sold on Pena until her win over Zingano. She out-grappled her and Cat is certainly someone with a strong grappling background - top high school wrestler and multiple time all-american national champion.

Pena also submitted Shayna Baszler back when Baszler was considered a top Bamtamweight and submission whizz.

I think both Shevchenko and Pena were rightfully ranked as the top contenders of the moment and look forward to a rematch, maybe later this year and maybe for the title.
Old 30-Jan-17, 18:54
Producer
Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
From Frank Pozen's blog:

This was the main event of the show and the winner gets a shot at UFC Bantamweight Champion Amanda Nunes. Sometimes on this blog, I talk about a fighter beating herself. This fight is a perfect example of that. Julianna was winning this fight and she made a really stupid mistake and that was it. She beat herself and she should be kicking herself all the way home to Chicago. I still think she's a better fighter than Valentina but one mental error cost her. Round one of this fight was pretty close but I scored it 10-9 for Julianna. I thought she did well in the clinch with knees. Valentina got a couple of takedowns but she did nothing with top position. Two of the three judges scored it the same. In round two, Julianna took Valentina down and started pounding on her. So Julianna was winning. With a minute left, she left her arm open and Valentina did what any fighter should do and that's take advantage of an opportunity. If that doesn't happen, Valentina is down two rounds and she would need a finish in round three. So she probably saved herself from a loss. Does this mean that Valentina is now a submission ace? No because she hadn't won by submission in over ten years back when she was fighting regionally in Russia. And in those days MMA was a sideline for her. It takes more than one win to change my perception of any fighter. But she deserves credit for being opportunistic. A lot of fighters would not have recognized what Julianna handed to her and the ending would have been much different. So now she gets a title shot. Of course Amanda beat her by unanimous decision last year. I could see Valentina winning if she survives round one. Meanwhile Amanda keeps yapping about fighting at Welterweight. Dana White has put the brakes on that. Of course many are happy that Julianna lost because she has a big mouth. She has all the physical tools. But I'm not surprised that a mental error led to a loss. It's the one thing she needs to work on. Time will tell.
Stymie, if you're going to be the moderator of the new MMA board, you HAVE to stop posting this guy's bullshit. LOL

"A lot of fighters would not have recognized what Julianna handed to her" -
The Following User Says Thank You to KillerCrushes For This Useful Post:
Old 30-Jan-17, 21:10
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,194 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminy [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
TBH, I wasn't sold on Pena until her win over Zingano. She out-grappled her and Cat is certainly someone with a strong grappling background - top high school wrestler and multiple time all-american national champion.

Pena also submitted Shayna Baszler back when Baszler was considered a top Bamtamweight and submission whizz.

I think both Shevchenko and Pena were rightfully ranked as the top contenders of the moment and look forward to a rematch, maybe later this year and maybe for the title.
Cat's interviews with Luke Thomas and Ariel Helwani indicated she wasn't at her best, mentally, during the Pena fight. Now sure, you can say she's making an excuse or whatever but she made a huge change in her life following that fight. Leaving Colorado, the scene of so much prior tragedy in her life, relocating to San Diego, new camp and (seemingly) a renewed attitude. I believe strongly in Cat and am convinced we've yet to see the best of her. She's got heart, guts and skill and if she can put it all together, watch out. Cat's the one to watch, IMO.
Old 30-Jan-17, 22:43
Points: 4,244, Level: 27 Points: 4,244, Level: 27 Points: 4,244, Level: 27
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

a win over bazler isn't saying a whole lot. bazler was a stiff. she would have been better off working as a practice dummy for a real fighter.

pena has skills. her downfall is her big mouth.
Old 30-Jan-17, 23:54
Points: 57,582, Level: 100 Points: 57,582, Level: 100 Points: 57,582, Level: 100
Activity: 92.9% Activity: 92.9% Activity: 92.9%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,750 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Cat's interviews with Luke Thomas and Ariel Helwani indicated she wasn't at her best, mentally, during the Pena fight. Now sure, you can say she's making an excuse or whatever but she made a huge change in her life following that fight. Leaving Colorado, the scene of so much prior tragedy in her life, relocating to San Diego, new camp and (seemingly) a renewed attitude. I believe strongly in Cat and am convinced we've yet to see the best of her. She's got heart, guts and skill and if she can put it all together, watch out. Cat's the one to watch, IMO.
Time will tell, ultimately. But at 34 and not having won a fight for over 2 years, I'd be inclined to say the opposite, that we probably have seen the best of her.

As I was saying, she comes from a very strong wrestling background. Her wins over Pennington, Tate and Nunes were all very impressive and on paper, she seemed to stack up well against Pena. But Pena shut her down in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of their fight. Those are the kind of performances that make you think the times are changing.

I'd like to see how she'd do in a rematch against Pennington, a fighter that has bettered herself enormously over the past year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
a win over bazler isn't saying a whole lot. bazler was a stiff. she would have been better off working as a practice dummy for a real fighter.

That may be Baszler today, but from around 2007-2011, Baszler was considered to be a top 5 Bantamweight. She was Ronda's first pick on TUF. Pena defeating her was a shock to many at the time.

Last edited by jiminy; 31-Jan-17 at 00:05.
Old 31-Jan-17, 01:13
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,194 Times in 794 Posts

<<Time will tell, ultimately. But at 34 and not having won a fight for over 2 years, I'd be inclined to say the opposite, that we probably have seen the best of her.

As I was saying, she comes from a very strong wrestling background. Her wins over Pennington, Tate and Nunes were all very impressive and on paper, she seemed to stack up well against Pena. But Pena shut her down in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of their fight. Those are the kind of performances that make you think the times are changing.

I'd like to see how she'd do in a rematch against Pennington, a fighter that has bettered herself enormously over the past year or two.>>

It's a gut feeling more than anything I could make a case for. The Pena fight I'm willing to overlook, based on her comments. She did not look like herself, to me. Also, no wins in two years includes the voluntary year away from competition after the Rousey loss. Pennington would be a good choice for her next fight. Good fight for both.

<<That may be Baszler today, but from around 2007-2011, Baszler was considered to be a top 5 Bantamweight. She was Ronda's first pick on TUF. Pena defeating her was a shock to many at the time.>>

I think the loss to Pena really rattled Baszler's confidence. Fans had been lobbying for UFC to pick her up even before the Ultimate Figher. She was generally regarded as having been unfairly overlooked when they created the division. I think she believed her own hype and had a really hard fall on the show. When she eventually did get picked up by the UFC, I barely recognized her as the Shayna Baszler I knew.
Old 31-Jan-17, 01:20
Points: 15,348, Level: 53 Points: 15,348, Level: 53 Points: 15,348, Level: 53
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCrushes [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
alentina showed me something I didn't know she had. But Julianna was very impressive, too. As she gains more experience, awareness, and skill, I could see her as a formidable fighter for the next 5-6 years.

I tend to be wow'ed by the big right hands and lightning combos, but this was an excellent fight from a viewing perspective.

The Following User Says Thank You to KillerCrushes For This Useful Post:
JohnODubhghaill
I have a different opinion on Julianna. I think losing this fight the way she did has to be a major blow to her confidence. Even Dana White said if the fight stays up right Svenchenko wins, if it goes to the ground Pena wins. If Svenchenko would have won by strikes at least she could walk away thinking she has to get better at striking and then maybe she can beat her. But to lose at your own game like that has to be a blow. Svenchenko didn't even have to use her striking.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoswrap For This Useful Post:
Old 31-Jan-17, 01:45
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
She really set herself up to be embarrassed. I guess Ronda was more of a role model to her than she lets on. She did say she was a big fan before the Ultimate Fighter. Hasn't tweeted a peep since before the fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCrushes [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Stymie, if you're going to be the moderator of the new MMA board, you HAVE to stop posting this guy's bullshit. LOL

"A lot of fighters would not have recognized what Julianna handed to her" -
BULLSHIT? I'll tell him you said that, he'll run you over in his wheelchair!
Old 31-Jan-17, 02:53
Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31
Last Achievements

I don't see the embarrassment. You've got to promote your fights. Julianna has the right personality to do that. Valentina really doesn't, but she's a good responder for the ones who do. So that dynamic is what creates the interest. Julianna doesn't need to talk less, she needs to fight more. That's how you learn not to make mistakes.

Shayna was great for her time, a pioneer for the women. Now she lost her leg speed. She got older; that's the way it goes. She's still great for pro wrestling though!