Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 29-Jan-17, 02:32
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,194 Times in 794 Posts
Default Re: WMMA News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoswrap [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I think I have a new female MMA infatuation. I can't believe I hadn't come across Katlyn earlier. I think she's gorgeous. I will be there cheering her on. I don't know much about her. Can she fight? I looked at her record and saw she went the distance with Liz Carmouche losing a split decision in her UFC debut. Does she have a chance against Irene. I don't know much about Irene either but I remember seeing an Invicta fight of hers where she bloodied up her opponent before ending it with I believe a RNC.
Hoping they announce more female bouts for the card. Cat hasn't fought in awhile. That would make my day.
Katlyn can fight for sure. She had a good one against Lauren Murphy, although I thought Murphy won (judges disagreed). Irene is also a strong, new prospect. If you're a Fight Pass member, all the Invicta events are in their catalogue, some good fights there worth watching, especially if you didn't see them the first time.
Old 31-Jan-17, 20:15
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Valentina's post fight interview with Megan Olivi:

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

Here's a fight from 2014 in Peru. Looks like Valentina gets in a bit of trouble on the ground in the first round but stays calm and fights through it. Her opponent is clearly not a striker and eventually Shevchnko finishers her with punches. The video has cuts in it so I'm not exactly sure what happened but it looks like her opponent didn't come out for the third. There's no footage of it and she seemed pretty much done at the end of the second. The quality of the video isn't great nor is the camera work but still worth watching for anyone interested in Shevchenko. Plus, this video has it's comic moments from the ring girl holding the card upside down (seriously honey? You had one job) to the guy with the rag mop cleaning the mats at the end while the cage was still of people:

This is from some kind of American Gladiator type combat show. This segment features Valentina doing some light grappling with a much larger male. I went looking for footage of this show and was amazed at how much Valentina there is on YouTube. From dance contests to whatever this show is, serious talk shows, goofy talk shows, there was one appearance on some kind of health program that looked like a Peruvian version of Dr. Oz. I even found one clip of her in some kind of pro wrestling segment. No actual wrestling but all the rest of the trappings. Based on the number and variety of clips out there and how small I imagine the Peruvian TV scene must be, it seems like she must have been some kind of celebrity. Given her reserved manner I think I expected a bit of a wallflower but far from it, so it appears:

And finally, MMA media mostly failing with the pre-fight predictions. Even the couple that picked Shevchenko expected a decision ending:

I think I'm going back to the thread about a separate section for WMMA and change my mind. I don't think there's a need for it, based on the very minimal interest in it around here. I reposted this as an example. It took a bit of time and effort to find and post all these clips and one person said thanks for that. Now look, I really don't care about the number of people that say thanks to me for a post. It's nice but not that important. But it does indicate the general level of interest, which seems to me to be quite low. I'm not sure there are much more than a half a dozen regular posters that care about WMMA. Probably not worth its own section.
Old 01-Feb-17, 00:08
Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31
Last Achievements

Thanks aren't generally the best barometer of interest. People just forget to hit the thanks button. I've been guilty of that transgression a number of times.

What really matters are the number of views a post gets. However this board doesn't seem to record views. So it's really just a guess whether the separate board is worth it or not.
Old 01-Feb-17, 01:33
Banned
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated G [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Thanks aren't generally the best barometer of interest. People just forget to hit the thanks button. I've been guilty of that transgression a number of times.

What really matters are the number of views a post gets. However this board doesn't seem to record views. So it's really just a guess whether the separate board is worth it or not.
I see a column for "Views". The Ronda thread has almost a quarter million. But what's a view, really? A separate section seems like it should be based on actual use and that leaves you with Thanks & Replies for a barometer.
The Following User Says Thank You to brooksie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-Feb-17, 21:39
Banned
Last Achievements

Old 05-Feb-17, 01:28
Producer
Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,066 Posts
Default Re: UFC FN 104 odds Herrig vs Grasso (Andrade/Hill, Torres/Rawlings)

As of 3:30pm Pacific - all fights in the 115-lb division:

Tecia Torres -370
Bec Rawlings +305

Jessica Andrade -550
Angela Hill +425

Alexa Grasso -320
Felice Herrig +265

Unfortunately for me, I'm not able to get parlays on fights, but would consider taking the 3 favorites tonite, even though the payoffs for an upset would be pretty sweet. Wow, in the time it took me to write this, the line on Torres has already moved to -400.

I'm not really into the 115s myself, but this should be a fun night in the strawweight division.

For some idiot reason, I just bet on Grasso at -330.

Added after 59 minutes:

The first fight went off at -400 for Torres and she clearly dominated. Any idea why Rawlings flipped off the crowd in the 3rd round?

Last edited by KillerCrushes; 05-Feb-17 at 01:28.
Old 05-Feb-17, 02:22
Banned
Last Achievements

Old 05-Feb-17, 06:07
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

Fox, FS1 ratings show that women's fights are exceptionally popular with UFC fans
Kevin Iole
Combat columnist
CagewriterJan 27, 2017

Ronda Rousey may have laid the foundation for women fighting in the UFC, but women across the board are proving popular for the UFC.

Television ratings for shows headlined by women on either Fox or Fox Sports 1 are almost always above average and show the impact that women have made on the promotion since they began to compete in the UFC in 2013.

On Saturday in Denver, Valentina Shevchenko will meet Julianna Pena in a bout that will be broadcast live on Fox. The winner will most likely be women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes’ next challenger.

If history is a precedent, Fox will get a large number on Saturday.

Consider some of striking television ratings numbers the Fox Sports research department dug up at Yahoo Sports’ request:

• The Paige VanZant-Michelle Waterson card from Sacramento, Calif., on Dec. 17 was the most-watched UFC show on Fox since April 2013 and attracted the sixth-largest peak audience with 3.178 million viewers.

• Former women’s bantamweight champion Holly Holm headlined a July 23 card on Fox in Chicago against Shevchenko which drew 2.95 million viewers, ninth-best of UFC shows on Fox.

• The women’s strawweight title fight between Joanna Jędrzejczyk and Claudia Gadelha that headlined “The Ultimate Fighter Finale” on July 8 in Las Vegas was the second most-watched TUF Finale on Fox Sports 1.

• The three UFC cards on Fox Sports 1 that have been headlined by women averaged 1.065 million viewers, which is 21 percent higher than the average of UFC cards on FS1 headlined by men. The three shows headlined by women on FS1 are Jędrzejczyk-Gadelha II, Carla Esparza-Rose Namajunas and Cris “Cyborg” Justino against Lina Lansberg.

Six times, women headlined the PPV preliminaries that were on FS1 also produced exceptional ratings, all finishing in the top 20. That is more impressive when you consider that the entirety of the top 10 came on nights when either Conor McGregor, Anderson Silva or women fighters headlined the pay-per-view.

• The six PPV prelims headlined by women on FS1 averaged 1.341 million viewers, up 42 percent over cards headlined by men.

It always helps to have a good lead-in, and so headlining a PPV prelim when McGregor is in the main event of the pay-per-view is a plus.

But the numbers don’t lie and show that women’s fights are proving to be as popular, if not more popular, than the men among Fox and FS1 viewers.

That’s why it might be wise for the UFC to consider a 125-pound women’s class, to give it four women’s classes and allow women who are too big for 115 or too small for 135 to have a place to compete.

It also means it will pay to keep an eye on the ratings next week of the Pena-Shevchenko fight. It seems a pretty good bet to come close to, if not exceeding, three million viewers.

As these numbers show, as well as Rousey’s pay-per-view numbers, allowing women to compete in the UFC is the best decision Dana White ever made.

Last edited by stymie; 05-Feb-17 at 06:13.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-Feb-17, 08:12
Banned
Last Achievements

Old 05-Feb-17, 08:27
Producer
Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Television ratings for shows headlined by women on either Fox or Fox Sports 1 are almost always above average and show the impact that women have made on the promotion since they began to compete in the UFC in 2013.

• The three UFC cards on Fox Sports 1 that have been headlined by women averaged 1.065 million viewers, which is 21 percent higher than the average of UFC cards on FS1 headlined by men.

• The six PPV prelims headlined by women on FS1 averaged 1.341 million viewers, up 42 percent over cards headlined by men.

It always helps to have a good lead-in, and so headlining a PPV prelim when McGregor is in the main event of the pay-per-view is a plus.

But the numbers don’t lie and show that women’s fights are proving to be as popular, if not more popular, than the men among Fox and FS1 viewers.

As these numbers show, as well as Rousey’s pay-per-view numbers, allowing women to compete in the UFC is the best decision Dana White ever made.
This is what I've been saying. There's a group of people who are going to buy 3-4 PPVs per year, because they love the UFC. There's even a group who will buy almost every event. But then there's another group that will make the buy decision based solely on the women's event on a card. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that guys like me (last group!) are moving the meter, but among a healthy percentage of MMA fans, it appears the women do move their interest level up a notch or two. I know the fetish wrestling community is tiny, but there's certainly a group of guys - and women - in what we'd term the non-wrestling fetishist "mainstream" who enjoy watching women fight.