Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

View Poll Results: Who will be winner?
Ronda Rousey 158 61.72%
Jean Claude Van Damme 98 38.28%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-Oct-15, 21:26
Banned
Points: 11,882, Level: 47 Points: 11,882, Level: 47 Points: 11,882, Level: 47
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Default Re: Ronda Rousey: Official Discussion Thread

I never said the hype and exploitation were unique to RR.
I said I was sorry other athletes got so little recognition, in women' wrestling for instance.
Old 02-Oct-15, 23:04
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

Yes, women wrestlers should definitely get more hype and exploitation!
Old 02-Oct-15, 23:05
Points: 3,537, Level: 24 Points: 3,537, Level: 24 Points: 3,537, Level: 24
Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylefan [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I never said the hype and exploitation were unique to RR.
I said I was sorry other athletes got so little recognition, in women' wrestling for instance.
I see. well yeah, recognition does tend to follow the money.
Old 04-Oct-15, 02:35
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Is there a barrier not yet broken by Ronda Rousey? The most dangerous woman in the world, who is a top pay-per-view draw for UFC and action movie sensation, has now taken her talents to print.

Rousey shared Saturday that she is now the first woman to grace the cover of 'Men's Fitness,' as she will be featured on the magazine's Australian edition.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-Oct-15, 16:18
Last Achievements

Peña: Women 'deserve to get paid 10 times more than the men'
Damon Martin FOX Sports Oct 2, 2015 at 12:27a ET

Julianna Peña speaks out in favor of paying women's fighters a lot more money.

Ronda Rousey recently announced that she is now the highest paid fighter in the UFC and Julianna Peña isn't just happy to hear that news — she's saying it's about damn time.

Peña fights this weekend at UFC 192 against Jessica Eye in the opening fight on the pay-per-view card. While Peña might hope to tackle Rousey at some point in the future, for now she's rooting on the most popular fighter in the sport for bringing women's mixed martial arts to the forefront and getting paid to do it.

It's just one more sign that the women in the UFC are carrying just as much weight as the men, and over time Peña sees them completely taking over.

"I totally feel that way and rightfully so," Peña told FOX Sports. "Anything a man can do, a woman can do better. That's the way that it should be. Because there isn't as many females as there are male fighters. It's a rare commodity. It's still a rare thing because not as many females are doing it as much as males. It's not very common for girls to be getting in there and doing fist fights.

"It is starting to get more popular for women now, and especially because women are starting to see other women can do it and they're feel empowered by that."

Peña isn't just addressing the UFC when she says that there's inequality when comparing the pay structure between men and women, but changes are happening, especially after seeing a fighter like Rousey rise to the top of the salary list after just two-plus years inside the promotion.

"In my opinion, women rule the world. We are the neck and we make the head turn," Peña said. "I feel like that's the way that it should be and I feel like, if anything, we deserve to get paid 10 times more than the men. Sorry to say, but that's just me being a female and me also wanting more money.

"You look at the business aspect of things and the business world and women that do 10 times the work get paid less than a man. That's not right."

As hard as it was to get women into the UFC in the first place after president Dana White was vehemently against the idea for years, now fighters like Rousey are becoming the biggest crossover superstars in the history of the sport.

Peña knows it won't stop with Rousey and is certainly never going to apologize for believing in her gender and being a champion for women's rights everywhere.

"Women do a better job," Peña said bluntly. "We draw more, we're more exciting, we have 10 times more heart, we don't quit. It's a more personal thing for a female and it shows in the fights, and I think we should be getting paid for that. I feel like I should be getting paid more for that."
Old 04-Oct-15, 18:48
Points: 11,099, Level: 45 Points: 11,099, Level: 45 Points: 11,099, Level: 45
Last Achievements

Someone started a Holly Holm thread and it was gone shortly after. Did it get combined with this one? Or was someone naughty and cause it to go poof?
Old 06-Oct-15, 16:58
Last Achievements

The Following User Says Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-Oct-15, 17:03
Last Achievements

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Chael Sonnen: I'm not sure if Holly Holm can even outstrike Ronda Rousey
By Marc Raimondi  @[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]_raimondi on Oct 6, 2015

In commercials, Ronda Rousey has been calling Holly Holm the most decorated striker in mixed martial arts. Chael Sonnen doesn't just pooh-pooh that notion; he outright dismisses it.

The former UFC middleweight star and current ESPN analyst told Ariel Helwani on the 300th episode of The MMA Hour on Monday that he does not believe any of Holm's multiple boxing titles have any value whatsoever.

"She is making a claim that she is a 17-time world champion," Sonnen said. "I will tell you as an analyst, she has zero world championships. There is no validity to any one of those titles."

Holm, 33, is a former three-division boxing champion with titles in the WBF, WBO and WBA. She's a former two-time Ring magazine female boxer of the year. Sonnen is not impressed by any of those designations, because he classifies "world champion" as someone who goes through a tournament process much like the Olympics.

"That never happened in any of those 17 championships," Sonnen said. "She showed up for some event, the promoter needed a main event, so he called that main event a world title. It's not a knock on her, but that's what happened. I'm not gonna sit back as an analyst and call her a world champion, let alone 17 times. If she beats Ronda Rousey, she's the world champion."

Rousey defends her UFC women's bantamweight title against Holm in the main event of UFC 193 on Nov. 15 in Melbourne, Australia. The UFC will attempt to break its all-time attendance record at Etihad Stadium, which holds upwards of 75,000 fans. Sonnen is not giving Holm (9-0) much of a chance -- even standing up, which is her greatest strength.

"Again, she's got some skills," Sonnen said. "You'll hear the expression 'a puncher's chance,' but she's not very good at punching. Those boxing championships, they're not real. I'm not sure she could outstrike Ronda. She definitely can't outgrapple her. I wish her the best."

Sonnen said Holm is "very tough" and knows how to compete, which he does not believe most of the women in the 135-pound division understand. He also acknowledges how well-liked Holm is among those who know her.

"This is a very nice girl," Sonnen said. "I've never met Holly. She has a tremendous reputation. People love her. They don't just go, 'Oh, she's alright.' They go on and on about what a great teammate she is and what a great person she is. I want to make that clear before I start throwing stones here."

However, Sonnen is not even sure Holm is worthy of her No. 5 ranking in the division. And he thinks all those boxing titles are only significant on a piece of paper.

"In her defense, if she enters into an event and that promoter calls it the world title and puts a belt around her, I think she has the right to put it on her resume," Sonnen said.
Old 06-Oct-15, 21:39
Last Achievements

How Wrestling Became UFC’s Training Ground
The prevalence of former wrestlers on Saturday night’s UFC 192 card illustrates a new career opportunity for former wrestlers
By Kevin Helliker
Oct. 3, 2015

On Saturday night, when Rashad Evans battles Ryan Bader in an Ultimate Fighting Championship bout, this much is certain: Victory will go to a former college wrestler.

Evans wrestled for Michigan State, while Bader is a former Arizona State wrestler.

The headliner brawl of UFC 192 (Fox Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET and PPV, 10 p.m. ET) pits a former Swedish boxer against Daniel Cormier, a former Olympic and Oklahoma State wrestler.

Until a weigh-in failure canceled it, a third main-card bout would have featured two more former college wrestlers, Johny Hendricks and Tyron Woodley, who last met in the 2005 Big 12 championship when Oklahoma State’s Hendricks upset Missouri’s Woodley for the 165-pound title.

The prevalence of wrestlers at the top rank of UFC is good news for wrestling, a sport so embattled that the International Olympic Committee in early 2013 ejected it from the Olympic Games before voting it back later that year.

The prevalence of former wrestlers on Saturday night’s UFC card illustrates a new career opportunity for former wrestlers. Some college coaches have pointed to UFC as one factor behind rising numbers of youth wrestlers in America.

“It used to be that once your Olympic dream was done, you looked for a coaching job at a wrestling university,” said Cormier, a 2004 Olympian. Before venturing into mixed martial arts in 2009, he said he expected to follow that course himself.

Once seen as a threat to Olympic sports, UFC is now recognized as a valuable promotional tool. Its fights continue to gain ever-larger audiences on both pay-per-view channels and on Fox Sports 1. That helps explain why the U.S. governing bodies for wrestling, judo and taekwondo have signed partnership deals with UFC. Ronda Rousey has won much more attention as the UFC women’s bantamweight champion than she did for winning a bronze medal in judo at the 2008 Olympics. Also visible is the UFC’s James Moontasri, a former taekwondo star. “UFC has such a global reach and offers the perfect showcase for USA Taekwondo,” said USA Taekwondo secretary-general Bruce Harris in a recent news release about that governing body’s partnership with UFC.

“I think a lot of these other martial arts saw us as a serious threat to them, in the beginning,” said Dana White, UFC president. But “Ronda’s rise in the UFC and the fame that she has…”

The website of USA Judo says, “USA Judo is expected to reach millions of people through UFC channels.”

Behind the rise of mixed martial arts was a question: Which discipline produced the best fighters? Was it judo or karate, for instance, or boxing, Brazilian jujitsu, taekwondo or wrestling? Experience has shown that success requires mastery of several disciplines. But in the 22-year history of the UFC, former wrestlers have been disproportionately represented among champions, including former two-time heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez, who wrestled for Arizona State. Russia’s Bilyal Makhov, who at the recent wrestling world championships became the first wrestler in four decades to win worlds medals in both freestyle and Greco-Roman, has signed a deal to join UFC after his wrestling career. Henry Cejudo, a UFC flyweight fighter, won a gold medal in wrestling at the 2008 Olympics.

After winning a gold medal at last month’s world wrestling championships—which were sponsored by UFC—America’s Helen Maroulis said, “The more I watch UFC, the more I’m tempted to do it.” She added, “My mother wouldn’t like it.”

Cormier—UFC light heavyweight champion—said he has earned more money and recognition as a UFC fighter than he did as an Olympic wrestler. But recently, Cormier was spotted in the aisles of Wal-Mart by a fan who didn’t mention UFC. “To my surprise, he said, ‘Oh, my goodness. You’re one of my favorite wrestlers,’” said Cormier.
Old 06-Oct-15, 21:42
Banned
Points: 11,882, Level: 47 Points: 11,882, Level: 47 Points: 11,882, Level: 47
Last Achievements

To me this is very sad.
But of course, it does say a lot for wrestling that so many become champions at this awful "sport"