Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Community > General Discussion [Off-Topic]

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 16-Dec-18, 16:17
Points: 57,559, Level: 100 Points: 57,559, Level: 100 Points: 57,559, Level: 100
Activity: 85.7% Activity: 85.7% Activity: 85.7%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,746 Times in 1,915 Posts
Default New She-Ra Animated Series (Netflix)

This popped up a few weeks ago as "recently added" to Netflix and I've been slowly making my way through the first series, finally finishing it this weekend.

I was a big fan of the He-Man cartoons as a kid and remember the old She-Ra too.

This new 'reboot' looks at the characters in a slightly different perspective. Adora is supposedly only 15 or 16 in this one. So younger, and the art kind of reflects that.

The reboot has been criticised for not presenting She-Ra with enough beauty and also pushing a "social justice warrior" narrative regarding the many tweaks they have made to the characters, such as turning Glimmer into a short, chubby girl with self-esteem issues. Bow has been turned into a smiley, wishy-washy black kid devoid of any real masculinity and another criticism is that the main villain, Hordak, simply isn't in it enough.

To begin with, I thought there was a lot that could have been done better. But I persevered through all episodes and settled on the opinion that it's not too bad and I'm keen to watch the second series.

As I've said to people on Youtube, if they'd really wanted to push the SJW narrative, it could have been a lot, lot, worse. Personally, I like that She-Ra is now more athletic looking, with some muscle definition to her shoulders and a flat chest with an outfit that doesn't show cleavage. It's practical, heroic and shows she means business.

Check out the new transformation;

Attached Images
File Type: jpg She_Ra.jpg (142.9 KB, 32 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to jiminy For This Useful Post:
Old 20-Dec-18, 19:20
Points: 5,886, Level: 32 Points: 5,886, Level: 32 Points: 5,886, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Default Re: New She-Ra Animated Series (Netflix)

I saw it too. It was alright. It is really meant to be for kids more than adults so any of the "sexiness" does not need to be there. The original show had the female characters be pretty but it is now more in vogue to have more realistic portrayals of people's bodies. I'm sure there are plenty of places to find more adult fantasy versions of She-Ra if that's what you are looking for.

Also, regarding the "SJW" allegations, I've noticed that every good vs. evil story lately seems to be accused to being either "SJW" propaganda or some allegory about Donald Trump. (*Note: This is just an observation, not an attempt at political discussion).
The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyV123 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-Nov-19, 08:22
Points: 57,559, Level: 100 Points: 57,559, Level: 100 Points: 57,559, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Is anyone watching this?

We're on to season 4 now. Seasons 2 and 3 got pretty GOOD but season 4 started to drag and was ultimately a little disappointing IMO. If there is a season 5 it should perhaps be the last one.

The best thing about the series, by far, is the villains. Especially the trash-talking, temperamental, and kick ass Catra.

Old 16-Nov-19, 17:57
Points: 16,299, Level: 55 Points: 16,299, Level: 55 Points: 16,299, Level: 55
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 2,023 Times in 615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV123 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Also, regarding the "SJW" allegations, I've noticed that every good vs. evil story lately seems to be accused to being either "SJW" propaganda

I hate PC culture as much as anyone else, but i notice a huge double standard when it comes to strong women in television and movies. When you have a strong female lead in a movie like say The Force Awakens, for example, with a strong female lead character, people start complaining that “disney ruined star wars” (which i agree with, but for different reasons) or that Rey is a “mary sue”.

Yet, when you have a strong female lead character who is scantily clad (lara croft for example) while being a strong female....no one seems to have a problem with it. I bet if Rey were in a bikini while being badass, no one would mind. And i bet if the new she-ra were flashing some cleavage, nobody would have a problem with her.
The Following User Says Thank You to Braddogg4345 For This Useful Post:
Old 17-Nov-19, 08:46
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braddogg4345 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I hate PC culture as much as anyone else, but i notice a huge double standard when it comes to strong women in television and movies. When you have a strong female lead in a movie like say The Force Awakens, for example, with a strong female lead character, people start complaining that “disney ruined star wars” (which i agree with, but for different reasons) or that Rey is a “mary sue”.

Yet, when you have a strong female lead character who is scantily clad (lara croft for example) while being a strong female....no one seems to have a problem with it. I bet if Rey were in a bikini while being badass, no one would mind. And i bet if the new she-ra were flashing some cleavage, nobody would have a problem with her.
It's not as simple as that. For example Barb Wire, with Pamela Anderson in the 90s had plenty of OTT catsuits and cleavage, but the movie was considered garbage.

Everyone has their own issues but a lot of the time it's because the character simply does not fit in terms of dynamics and context. At its core it's lazy film making. That laziness shines through in many aspects of contemporary movies from the casting to the script to the reliance on CGI, etc.

Today it's mostly about the franchise. People want brand familiarity and that's what sells tickets. Everything else is filler. It's like when a new 007 movie drops, no one cares whether it's going to be any good, the only variables they're talking about is who's singing the theme tune, what car will he be driving, etc.
Old 26-Dec-19, 11:06
Producer
Points: 9,476, Level: 41 Points: 9,476, Level: 41 Points: 9,476, Level: 41
Last Achievements

Feminism doesn't sell well as it's a confused philosophy.

You might find a few movies, but you will find more duds than winners.

Same with this business. It's not for everyone!
Old 27-Dec-19, 05:42
Points: 139, Level: 2 Points: 139, Level: 2 Points: 139, Level: 2

Jem.
She-Ra.
Teen Titans (lesser extent).
Thundercats (the most painful).

These IPs (and I'm sure I've missed a few) have been updated (but definitely not upgraded) for a younger audience.

The new She-ra has gotten better over the seasons but I still find it very annoying at times.
Old 02-Jan-20, 17:48
Points: 5,886, Level: 32 Points: 5,886, Level: 32 Points: 5,886, Level: 32
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by femalewrestlingchannel [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Feminism doesn't sell well as it's a confused philosophy.

You might find a few movies, but you will find more duds than winners.

Same with this business. It's not for everyone!
Feminism is not a confused philosophy, just some men(mainly MRA-incel types) are the ones confused by it or intentionally cause the confusion. It is really just a philosophy that women should have a say in their matters(agency) and not defer everything to a man.

Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel did pretty well. It really is about the story, unfortunately the writers are still mainly white males so they probably don't write very well for it. If you have a female writer and director, you'll likely get a better story for it.
Old 03-Jan-20, 01:20
Producer
Points: 9,476, Level: 41 Points: 9,476, Level: 41 Points: 9,476, Level: 41
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV123 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Feminism is not a confused philosophy, just some men(mainly MRA-incel types) are the ones confused by it or intentionally cause the confusion. It is really just a philosophy that women should have a say in their matters(agency) and not defer everything to a man.

Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel did pretty well. It really is about the story, unfortunately the writers are still mainly white males so they probably don't write very well for it. If you have a female writer and director, you'll likely get a better story for it.
They did some good brainwashing on you huh?

You are confusing leftism and feminism and trying to intertwine the two.

This is especially evident with your racism against white people.

Saying that females are better writers or directors has little precedent in history.

They certain can be better, but there is not a lot of evidence for it.

Feminism was largely about liberation from social norms.

I will always support that type of feminism, but as I said, the intertwined philosophy spouted by people like yourself has become confused and hateful, as evident by your own words if you examine them.
Old 03-Jan-20, 04:31
Points: 15,787, Level: 54 Points: 15,787, Level: 54 Points: 15,787, Level: 54
Last Achievements

Dominatrix Re: New She-Ra Animated Series (Netflix)

Quote:

Wonder Woman did significantly better than Captain Marvel. As a guy myself, Wonder Woman/Diana's ignorance felt more relateable than Captain Marvel/MCU Carol Danver's personal struggle. The plot of 'Captain Marvel' felt similar to 'Underworld'. 'Alita: Battle Angel' also did better than 'Captain Marvel', as an example of true Women's Activism. If you want to promote women's autonomy, do it in a manner similar to 'Wonder Woman' and/or 'Alita: Battle Angel'.

Also, the directors of 'Wonder Woman' and 'Captain Marvel' were women - Patty Jenkins and Anna Boden. Hopefully 'Black Widow' does even better.

Last edited by Fr@g!l3_$p33d$+3r; 03-Jan-20 at 08:13. Reason: Clarity
The Following User Says Thank You to Fr@g!l3_$p33d$+3r For This Useful Post: