Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 27-Jan-16, 23:34
Banned
Points: 30,653, Level: 76 Points: 30,653, Level: 76 Points: 30,653, Level: 76
Activity: 81.5% Activity: 81.5% Activity: 81.5%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 7,763 Times in 963 Posts
Default Re: Are girls getting stronger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
That's really the problem with these kinds of discussion. In general, yes. But we're not talking generalities on sites like this, are we? We're talking specifics where, as the above quote states, there is every possibility the situation could be reversed.

That's why the inevitable comments about men being stronger in general miss the point of the discussion and serve as basically useless information in terns of what's being discussed. So yes, in general men are stronger than women. Thanks for that news flash. And yes, girls are getting stronger because they now engage in activities that build strength in far greater numbers than before - weight training, crossfit, boot camps, martial arts classes, wrestling etc. Both things are true.
Girls are getting stronger? Not at all...few girls are getting less weak/sedentary and more stronger or active,even than a few guys,but isn't a large quantity of girls as you say.(Before that,who i am to decide what you think about your fetish/strenght of the sexes viewpoint? , i only liked to share my opinion here...) But i see the viewpoint of the guys here about some girls,thinking really that they are strong,and if you give a real viewpoint of it,they aren't and this is throwed to the discussion.But it's a evolution,isn't it?

I aren't a male sexist neither i'm a feminist supporter(tbh,i think this movement is a really crap in most parts of the world) but it's my vision about it.
Old 31-Jan-16, 20:55
Points: 4,392, Level: 27 Points: 4,392, Level: 27 Points: 4,392, Level: 27
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%
Last Achievements

This is not a scientific page of human physiology
Old 01-Feb-16, 00:14
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,193 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigtinius [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
This is not a scientific page of human physiology
Sometimes science can be our friend:

"The amount of energy needed to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it." - Brandolini's Law
Old 14-Jun-16, 07:34
Carolinecheers4him

Um....I mean, generally.... I feel like women are becoming more accustomed to being physically fit - and that's awesome!

I feel that in this century, a lot of girls like me are feeling a lot more comfortable with bodybuilding and developing their strength. We're fighting the stupid idea that lifting weights makes us look too manly. I definitely am proud of my muscles and, to be totally honest, blush when even guys in the gym compliment me.

- Caroline

Last edited by Carolinecheers4him; 14-Jun-16 at 13:40.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 14-Jun-16, 22:40
Points: 4,392, Level: 27 Points: 4,392, Level: 27 Points: 4,392, Level: 27
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%
Last Achievements

Women are empowering themselves and losing shame to be who they real are. That's beautiful!!
Old 25-Feb-17, 07:02
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Default Has There Been A Sea-Change?

The other night I was watching TV with my gf, who likes Law & Order SVU. The story was about a highly-decorated female Army Ranger who got raped. In one scene, she fights a guy, bigger than her but not huge...average in-good-shape kind of guy in an underground MMA match and just smokes him. Spinning backfist puts him down, soccer kick turns him onto his back (underground rules), then vicious ground & pound until the ref pulls her off. In another scene she pounds out her bf, who turned out to be the rapist (attacked her from behind). The thing is, there was no effort made to set her up as a particularly ferocious fighter or any kind of preamble. It was just dropped into the plot like any other scene. In fact, the guy she beat was interviewed as a suspect and nothing was made of the fact that he got ass-whupped by a smaller woman. After all the attention given to Ronda Rousey and the success of WMMA, the popularity of jiu-jitsu and grappling, the idea that a woman could beat a man in combat no longer seems like that big a deal. At least, that's the impression I'm getting. Is mainstream society finally catching up to us?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brooksie For This Useful Post:
Old 25-Feb-17, 08:10
Points: 563,346, Level: 100 Points: 563,346, Level: 100 Points: 563,346, Level: 100
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 47,590 Times in 2,517 Posts
Default Re: Has There Been A Sea-Change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
After all the attention given to Ronda Rousey and the success of WMMA, the popularity of jiu-jitsu and grappling, the idea that a woman could beat a man in combat no longer seems like that big a deal. At least, that's the impression I'm getting. Is mainstream society finally catching up to us?
But has that ever been considered an especially 'big deal', at least as far as TV and/or movies go?

I haven't seen the particular episode/show you're referring to, but from your description, it doesn't sound all that different to any other show I've seen where a female character kicks a dude's butt.
Old 25-Feb-17, 08:40
Banned
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootPower [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
But has that ever been considered an especially 'big deal', at least as far as TV and/or movies go?

I haven't seen the particular episode/show you're referring to, but from your description, it doesn't sound all that different to any other show I've seen where a female character kicks a dude's butt.
I can appreciate that. My impression has a lot to do with the nature of the show. I'm not sure if I can explain it in a satisfactory way but it has to do with the way it reflects contemporary societal norms. Also, in the writing and the presentation. Anyway, the show was just the inspiration for the thought. I've seen guys talking about women kicking ass, Ronda for instance, like it was no big deal. Maybe it's because I'm older but it just seems like the idea of male/female combat isn't as remarkable as it once was.
Old 25-Feb-17, 09:10
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

Quote:
The other night I was watching TV with my gf, who likes Law & Order SVU. The story was about a highly-decorated female Army Ranger who got raped. In one scene, she fights a guy, bigger than her but not huge...average in-good-shape kind of guy in an underground MMA match and just smokes him. Spinning backfist puts him down, soccer kick turns him onto his back (underground rules), then vicious ground & pound until the ref pulls her off. In another scene she pounds out her bf, who turned out to be the rapist (attacked her from behind). The thing is, there was no effort made to set her up as a particularly ferocious fighter or any kind of preamble. It was just dropped into the plot like any other scene. In fact, the guy she beat was interviewed as a suspect and nothing was made of the fact that he got ass-whupped by a smaller woman. After all the attention given to Ronda Rousey and the success of WMMA, the popularity of jiu-jitsu and grappling, the idea that a woman could beat a man in combat no longer seems like that big a deal. At least, that's the impression I'm getting. Is mainstream society finally catching up to us?
Hey, thanks for the heads up. Found this article about the episode:

Law & Order: SVU’ Recap 18×12: Strength in Vulnerability
By Anne Easton • 02/23/17 10:47am 

She was unlike any victim Lieutenant Benson had really every seen. And this certainly made things difficult – for both of them.

And then there was the title, “No Surrender.” What did that really mean, and just how did it change lives?

This episode opened with inspiring images flashing across the screen, heralding Captain Beth Williams as the new face of the military. The video proclaims that Captain Williams, as the first female member of the elite Army Ranger unit, is a forceful warrior. After the piece ends, Captain Williams is told that because she’s an outstanding soldier, she’ll be embarking on a tour to promote the 2.0 version of the Army.

At a party to celebrate, Williams kisses her fiancé, who announces they’re getting married in May. Hours later, in the darkness, a jogger finds Williams crawling on the ground, bloodied and clearly having been assaulted.

Later, when questioned about the attack, Williams’ tough as nails attitude is a bit unnerving for Benson, but the Lieutenant persists in trying to get the Captain to talk about what happened in an effort to help find the latter’s assailant. Williams insists that this shouldn’t have happened to her and is concerned that her status as a victim might end up in the press, jeopardizing her image… and her publicity tour.

When lab results from blood on the Captain’s leg leads the detectives to a construction worker, he seems nonchalant about his DNA being on Williams’ body, insisting that there’s a legitimate reason for it being there. Turns out that Captain Williams clobbered the man in a fight after her party. He proves this by showing the detectives a video of he and Williams duking it out at a fight club. Jose then proves that he was in an urgent care facility the rest of the night, including during the time of Williams’ rape, so he’s ruled out as a suspect.

The next suspect, an online hater who was also at the fight club event, turns out to have spoken with Williams that night, but says he left her to go to his grandmother’s house, an alibi that checks out.

After piecing together that it was actually Williams’ fiancé that attacked her – because she broke up with him that night – the detectives find the Captain beating the crap out of the guy. After she breaks down in Benson’s arms, Benson has to tell Williams that she may be prosecuted for assault, that the D.A.’s office doesn’t look too kindly on vigilante justice.

After pulling herself together, Captain Williams, who continually tried to keep her identity from becoming public knowledge, steps up to a microphone at a press conference and proclaims that she was the victim of an assault, but that it will not change who she is, what she’s accomplished and/or what she stands for.

What made this episode interesting was that although it was about an Army Ranger, it wasn’t really about the military. It was about a woman who, having had to continually prove her strength, had to learn that she was still vulnerable and accept that some things are out of her control.

Sadly, this is true for all women, whether they can physically compete with men or not. And, it’s just at true for many men as well.

It was also interesting to see the uncomfortable dance between Benson and Captain Williams with each trying hard to stick to the skills they’ve learned along the way as the other tried to push them in an unfamiliar and uncomfortable direction.

What was lacking, however, was Benson not really empathizing with Captain Williams’ feelings that her strength had been undermined, especially given that Benson clearly went through a similar situation after what happened with William Lewis. Benson, at times, seemed overly harsh with Captain Williams.

Not that Benson should have told Captain Williams everything she’d experienced with Lewis, because Benson can’t bring her personal life into every case, really. (Well, she could, but then she wouldn’t be doing what she tells many victims to do – heal and move on – right?) But, it would have been nice for Benson to acknowledge that on some level she knew what Captain Williams was feeling.

Viewers also might have felt another kind of whiplash as well, given that Captain made a lot of decisions that didn’t seem true to her by-the-book nature – she evaded questions, withheld information and flat out lied. And, then she beat a guy. All of this seemed out of character for someone who was set-up to be a stringent rule follower.

On top of that, there seemed to be little room in this episode for an analysis of the ‘why.’ Yes, Captain Williams was trying to be strong and in the end, she accepted that it wasn’t a lack of strength that led to her attack and that she was not at fault, but that message seems, at this point in the show’s longevity, to have been a bit overplayed on SVU.

Almost every episode contains the sentence, “it’s not your fault” at some point so was it really necessary to build a whole episode around a concept that has been reiterated for 18 seasons?

It would have been a little more interesting to get into how Williams came to be this way — how she ended up in a fight club, why she broke up with her fiancé (after kissing him at the party), and what led her to beat him when she did. This episode might have benefitted from less suspect chasing and more explanatory emotional beats.

Having said all of this, the last line of the episode was still extremely powerful as Captain Williams said, “There is only honor is being a survivor.”

So if every one of the previous 41 minutes or so was needed to just get to that line, then it was all worth it. And, the title “No Surrender” seemed to be appropriate given what unfolded in this episode.

In an under-the-surface manner, it played out as both Lieutenant Benson and Captain Williams had to alter and adapt the way they approached their job and their thinking about themselves to get to the truth of this case and its impact on the victim. The push and pull between the women was intriguing to watch play out.

A few years ago when Olivia faced her own ordeal (in an episode that now seems even more aptly entitled “Surrender Benson,”), she did not surrender. She reacted much in the same manner as Captain Williams. (In fact, THAT episode could have been titled “No Surrender”, right?) Olivia’s assault obviously changed her in many ways, just as it will Captain Williams.

The “surrender” in this case, and really in Olivia’s case as well, was not really about not showing weakness, but about surrendering to the reality of an altered future caused by an unforeseen, and uncontrollable, event.

That aspect of rape never deviates — that during and after any assault the victim will be different and will have to cope with his/her new reality to move forward.

While this episode may have had some of the oft-repeated beats of a “typical” SVU episode, many of those themes are worth repeating – “it’s not your fault,” “this doesn’t mean you aren’t strong,” etc. In fact, aren’t these the very concepts that SVU has taught millions of victims over the years? If it weren’t for this TV show, those messages wouldn’t be out there.

So, in the end, no matter how many times, in how many different ways, these points are made, whether it’s told through the eyes of an Army Ranger, a fast-food worker, a store clerk, or a stay-at-home the mom of two, or countless other ways, it’s worth it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 25-Feb-17, 12:20
Points: 57,559, Level: 100 Points: 57,559, Level: 100 Points: 57,559, Level: 100
Activity: 85.7% Activity: 85.7% Activity: 85.7%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,746 Times in 1,915 Posts

Quote:
I will have to check out the episode in question to fully appreciate the story and how the action is presented.

I used to be (until about 5-6 years ago) an avid collector of FvM fight scenes from movies and TV but the sheer volume, coupled with today's mostly unrealistic, overly-stylized choreography eventually exhausted my interest.

Broadly speaking, when a female is presented as a protagonist in the role of a cop, solder/mercenary/government agent or alike and she goes one-on-one with a guy, she will win... Even if she is half his size and anorexic-looking.

Unless the scenes have something that truly make an impact, I feel many of us have simply become desensitised to kick ass females on TV, such is their abundance. It happened a long time ago.

Tags
female, female supremacy, girls, indian, strength, strong, superior