Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Community > General Discussion [Off-Topic]

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 25-Aug-17, 15:00
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts
Default Patty Jenkins fires back at James Cameron for calling Wonder Woman 'step backwards'

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Old 24-Sep-17, 00:23
Points: 22,110, Level: 64 Points: 22,110, Level: 64 Points: 22,110, Level: 64
Activity: 28.6% Activity: 28.6% Activity: 28.6%
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,012 Times in 624 Posts
Default Re: Patty Jenkins fires back at James Cameron for calling Wonder Woman 'step backward

I kind of get what he means.
Wonder Women was a great film, excellently directed and perfectly acted by Gadot but I think he means that the concept and portrayal of wonder women is still very cliche. Still very "hollywood" and stereotypical. The flawless, perfect looking, pure of heart hero whereas characters like Ripley from Aliens or Sarah Connor are more "realistic" female heroes that have real world flaws. They are bad parents, foul mouthed and sometimes weak of character but still every bit the empowering and likable hero. Think of the male equivalent, someone like Superman compared to Riddick? Both heroes but one is family friendly, the other not so much.
The Following User Says Thank You to AOmega For This Useful Post:
Old 25-Sep-17, 13:56
Points: 12,856, Level: 49 Points: 12,856, Level: 49 Points: 12,856, Level: 49
Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,106 Posts
Default Re: Patty Jenkins fires back at James Cameron for calling Wonder Woman 'step backward

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOmega [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I kind of get what he means.
Wonder Women was a great film, excellently directed and perfectly acted by Gadot but I think he means that the concept and portrayal of wonder women is still very cliche. Still very "hollywood" and stereotypical. The flawless, perfect looking, pure of heart hero whereas characters like Ripley from Aliens or Sarah Connor are more "realistic" female heroes that have real world flaws. They are bad parents, foul mouthed and sometimes weak of character but still every bit the empowering and likable hero. Think of the male equivalent, someone like Superman compared to Riddick? Both heroes but one is family friendly, the other not so much.
I agree with you. Though I don't think I'd say the film set anything backwards, comic books aren't about real people and action movies rarely are either. I don't think Wonder Woman is a role model any more (and arguably less) than X-23 or Laura, played by Dafne Keene, in the movie Logan.

Now the Wonder Woman comics when those came out in the 40s, that was different. That was a time when all the comic hero for kids were men and Wonder Woman came out to challenge that. A bold move at the time. Then they came out with those God Awful wonder-woman remake in the 70s when she was a housewife who knew martial arts. Just awful. But nothing about the wonder woman move stands out to me as "wow, women really needed that", except perhaps for the early Amazon scenes cause those were pretty darn cool and did require some pretty rigorous training.

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

And I don't think Cameron should have said it, but I don't think he's entirely wrong. WonderWoman to me is like the first Superman with Christopher Reeve. A nice movie about an innocent person with superpowers coming to Earth. It was a good fun movie with some clever scenes, but honestly, it didn't knock my socks off.
The Following User Says Thank You to LicensetoKill For This Useful Post:
Old 27-Sep-17, 18:25
Points: 16,299, Level: 55 Points: 16,299, Level: 55 Points: 16,299, Level: 55
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 2,023 Times in 615 Posts

I find James Cameron's remarks to be pretty idiotic. He obviously has no clue what he is talking about. For one, who is he to be criticizing a movie for not catering to feminists? Last i checked, there was no feminism checklist that a movie has to meet before it can be released. Apparently he was expecting Wonder Woman to be a fat, middle aged woman with hairy armpits. I didnt hear him complaining about Batman or Superman being too good looking.
Old 27-Sep-17, 22:35
Points: 66,180, Level: 100 Points: 66,180, Level: 100 Points: 66,180, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 20,714 Times in 964 Posts

I also think that his comments are a little unfair to the movie. Patty Jenkins didn't make it to prove women's empowerment, and an opinion about Wonder Woman as a character isn't necessary a statement about feminism.
Old 03-Nov-17, 19:18
Points: 57,559, Level: 100 Points: 57,559, Level: 100 Points: 57,559, Level: 100
Activity: 85.7% Activity: 85.7% Activity: 85.7%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,746 Times in 1,915 Posts

wow... I thought Wonder Woman was a terrible film. Loose and wishy-washy plot, no definitive antagonist, cringeworthy humour and no real character development. Oh, and the CGI made it look like a video game. It just looked silly and weird.

Frankly it's a lot more akin to Man of Steel than Richard Donner's Superman (1978). Superman was a superb film with great character development, pacing and emotional investment (I remember getting teary eyed when Supes flies around the world to bring Lois back...lol). MoS, on the other hand, was garbage with none of those things.

Last edited by jiminy; 04-Nov-17 at 09:50.
Old 25-Nov-17, 15:21
Points: 8,782, Level: 40 Points: 8,782, Level: 40 Points: 8,782, Level: 40
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I think this is where heterosexual male fantasy meets reality. I have not seen the film and I am not heterosexual but I do have the WW action figure!

Reality says that women must be treated equally with men (quite right too!) but sexual fantasy is not about equality. In my fantasies women are superior to men and dominate them mentally and physically. Heterosexual women seem to want lots of romance and lovey-dovey nonsense (or at least that's what they get!) and that is not equal in graphic intensity to the sexual content that men crave.

As a gay man, I want to see Superman's bulge and Batman and Robin stripped to their briefs and tortured by Catwoman, but although Hollywood is teaming with gays nobody has the intelligence to add that dimension to their films.

Having said that, it does seem odd that a woman is perpetuating the softcore straight male fantasy here rather than trying something new (what about ballbusting lesbians killing loads of Roman soldiers as an idea?).

Given the plot seems to be "evil Germans" being stopped by a superheroine, I suspect Patty Jenkins' true crime is unoriginality and she is hardly unique for that in Hollywood!

These films are lacking in imagination because they can get away with it. It's all about making money and the less work you have to do, the bigger the profit.

Last edited by JohnByng; 25-Nov-17 at 22:19.