Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 09-Sep-18, 04:04
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts
Default Re: WMMA news / general discussion

Tatiana Suarez TKO's Carla Esparza | HIGHLIGHTS | UFC 228
Suarez secured the TKO victory over Esparza in the third round after a dominant performance

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-Sep-18, 06:10
Points: 10,043, Level: 43 Points: 10,043, Level: 43 Points: 10,043, Level: 43
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Great in close wrestling by Tati. If she ever needs to, she could have a great second career in women's or mixed pro wrestling of any kind. And how about that one punch KO by Jessica Andrade! Has anyone seen the like of that in strawweight? I was cheering for double K, but it was lights out for her.

Last edited by mermao; 09-Sep-18 at 13:06. Reason: spelling correction
Old 09-Sep-18, 09:00
Points: 57,578, Level: 100 Points: 57,578, Level: 100 Points: 57,578, Level: 100
Activity: 88.1% Activity: 88.1% Activity: 88.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,749 Times in 1,916 Posts

Just an absolute mauling by Suarez. Feel a bit sorry for Esparza that she couldn't have put in a better showing than that. This was probably her last chance to get back amongst the elite of the division. There did appear to be a significant size difference though and in this day and age where fighters seem to be getting ridiculously big for their weight class, Carla appeared physically outmatched by the bigger woman and would now probably be better suited as a 105 "atom weight" fighter.

Will be interesting to see how Suarez gets on against a fighter with the physicality and power of Andrade, or even the jiu jitsu of Dern or the takedown defence of Joanna but it would appear that Rose is a good matchup for her on paper.
The Following User Says Thank You to jiminy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-Sep-18, 16:37
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Yes, it looks like the strawweights are WMMA's best hope at the moment. Bantamweights seem ruled by Amanda Nunes, who's the latest bw to try to fill out the non-existent challengers to Featherweight champ Cyborg, and the new flyweight division seems destined to be ruled by Shevchenko for some time once she grabs the title.
Now that Queen Joanna's clay feet have been exposed, it looks like some worthy contenders have appeared, Tatiana and Jessica might give Rose some problems that JJ couldn't. Even Claudia might sneak in there as a good contender. JJ could still be a factor too, of course. Lots of exciting matchups could happen if Dana doesn't fuck things up.

Certainly Paige Vanzant won't be missed (competitive-wise).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-Sep-18, 00:24
Points: 1,146,998, Level: 100 Points: 1,146,998, Level: 100 Points: 1,146,998, Level: 100
Activity: 81.0% Activity: 81.0% Activity: 81.0%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 153,790 Times in 13,793 Posts

Sad
Old 22-Sep-18, 23:18
Points: 57,578, Level: 100 Points: 57,578, Level: 100 Points: 57,578, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Valentina vs. Joanna will headline UFC 231 !

...For the now vacant 125 pound title.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DnlSZrMU0AE-Z_V.jpg (94.6 KB, 14 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jiminy For This Useful Post:
Old 23-Sep-18, 00:02
Points: 8,148, Level: 38 Points: 8,148, Level: 38 Points: 8,148, Level: 38
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminy [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Valentina vs. Joanna will headline UFC 231 !

...For the now vacant 125 pound title.

That could be a good stand-up battle, as they were both mush thai champions.
Old 23-Sep-18, 00:39
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClckwrkOra [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
That could be a good stand-up battle, as they were both mush thai champions.
They fought 3 times in Kickboxing and Valentina won by decision on every occasion, but it was a long time ago, over a decade. Both were very young and have bettered themselves enormously since then.

I expect this will mainly be a Kickboxing match but Valentina is not adverse to grappling and going for takedowns. Joanna has shown less willingness to go to the ground and for my money has the best P4P takedown defence in WMMA. On the rare occasions girls have taken her down, her ability to recover back to her feet using the butterfly guard and/or cage walk is also first rate.

As long as her chin holds up I actually give Joanna a good chance at getting the nod in this fight as she throws a lot more volume than Valentina and UFC judges tend to score quantity over quality.
Old 23-Sep-18, 05:20
Last Achievements

Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs Valentina Shevchenko added to Dec. 8 UFC show

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

Yesterday at the UFC 229 press conference, Dana White announced that Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs Valentina Shevchenko for the vacant UFC Flyweight Championship has been added to UFC 231 Dec. 8 at the Scotiabank Arena in Toronto. It's obvious that this is the fight White wanted to do all along. So I don't know why he didn't do it in the first place and not bother with TUF 26. Obviously Nicco Montano was not who they wanted as champ. She told them she wasn't going to be ready in September. But they were going to strip her of the title if she didn't agree to September and Joanna vs Valentina was going to replace her anyway. So why do they want this fight? It's a money fight. These two fought in Muay Thai in Europe a few years ago. Joanna is a former Strawweight champ. But she fought at Flyweight before the UFC. As I said before, the main thing Joanna needs to do is get back to finishing fights. Her decline in the Strawweight division is because she has become a points fighter. She punches harder than Valentina so she needs to be aggressive and try to finish. Valentina is already a points fighter but she's a better counterpuncher than Joanna and that means she is better at points fighting. Her win over Holly Holm showed that. We know what Valentina wants to do. It's up to Joanna to be more aggressive at the start of the fight. Because if she goes down two rounds as she has in recent fights, she's gonna lose. Valentina can't finish Joanna. But she can outpoint her if Joanna allows it. That's the key to this fight.
The Following User Says Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 21-Oct-18, 05:27
Last Achievements

Joe Brolly: The time has come to call a halt to the UFC's bloody freak show
Joe Brolly
October 14 2018 7:30 PM

In the movie Django Unchained, Django and the Doctor visit a wealthy southern slave owner (played by Leonardo DiCaprio). As they are shown into the drawing room, two slaves are fighting in front of a hearty fire for their masters' amusement and money.

"Keep fighting niggers," says DiCaprio, as the two visitors come into the room. He sits there, resplendent in his purple velvet long coat and cravat, sipping cocktails with his wealthy slave-owning friends. "Come on over gentlemen, we got us a fight going on that's a good bit of fun." A beautiful, smiling black woman, very well dressed, is draped over a sofa, sipping champagne. In the background the two men are wrestling hard, groaning and breathing heavily.

"Get back on top now, then turn him around," DiCaprio says to his fighter, as though he were explaining homework to his son. "Come on now, there you go, there you go." A few seconds later, his man has his opponent in an arm lock, wrenches out his shoulder, and the vanquished fighter lies on the floor screaming in agony. DiCaprio is triumphant. He jumps up, and punches the air with both hands, "Woohooo. Wooo hooo hooo hooooo!" There is blood spattered everywhere. All over the fighters' bodies and faces. All over the floor, even the gentlemen's shoes. It is disgusting, and almost impossible to watch.

In the early hours of Sunday morning, I thought of Tarantino's movie. I had gone downstairs to see if my 13-year-old son and his half a dozen excited friends had gone to bed after watching the McGregor fight. It hadn't started yet. So I made some chilli tea and sat down amongst them to watch it. A black man called Ovince Saint Preux was fighting another tremendous specimen called Dominick Reyes. Reyes beat him up systematically from the first bell, raining powerful kicks and punches into his face and head until it became almost impossible to watch.

Reyes, a beast of a man himself, kept staggering forward, throwing wild punches. After two rounds his opponent's face and body were covered in blood, so that his facial features couldn't be made out. The commentator said, "Saint Preux is bleeding like a stuck pig now." Thirty seconds later, he was stretched out on the canvas after a shocking left hand from Reyes. Like DiCaprio's hearth, there was blood everywhere. The crowd whooped and roared. A very excited, very well-dressed woman in the audience came forward and filmed the stricken fighter on her phone as he lay there.

Tony Ferguson fought a man called Anthony Pettis. This one was even bloodier. Pettis knocked Ferguson down heavily early on. He recovered his senses and administered a shocking beating to Pettis, who was gashed all over his face, so that his blood was all over Ferguson's body. At one point, Ferguson got his man on the ground in a hold, then proceeded to strike him on the head and face with the point of his elbow around 20 times. As he did this, the crowd chanted "Olé Olé Olé Olé, Olé Olé". Just like an Ireland soccer match at Lansdowne. "These guys aren't just bleeding over each other," says the commentator, breathless with excitement, "they're bleeding all over us!"

Eventually, the fight was stopped. Pettis was in a terrible mess and had a fractured hand. Time for a drink at the bar.

Two women tried to kill each other. The Karate Hottie (real name Michelle Waterson), who has done naked photo shoots and boasted in a pre-fight interview, "I've beaten up some of my opponents so badly, they have actually shat themselves during the fight", was matched with Felice Herrig, a seriously dangerous looking white woman. Felice was not to be outdone by her opponent's defecation-inducing credentials. The viewers discovered that "Felice famously made Justine Kish soil the octagon during their UFC fight in 2017". What can one say, only, "Woohooo. Woo hoo hoo hoo. Way to go Felice." Anyway, they battered each other until there was blood everywhere. The viewer was not told whether either or both defecated in their hot-pants during the fight, but it was all every disturbing, ending with Ms Herrig in very bad shape.

Conor McGregor looks like a human dog, and behaves like one. I thought the beating he got was worse than any-thing else that happened during this disgusting night. "How many shots can one man take?" roared the delighted commentator during the second round when McGregor was being repetitively struck in the face with heavy blows as he lay on the ground. "Khabib is trying to smash his face in." "He's getting smashed alright," roared his co-commentator. I thought at that point he could die if the referee didn't intervene. But no, the bell went, and he was allowed to continue. It just got worse.

When Khabib choked him out in the fourth round, I thought of the fine line they tread between life and death. If that choke had continued, how long before this exhausted human being slipped into a coma? Ten, 15 seconds? What if his windpipe had been crushed? At that point, McGregor could easily have been bleeding into his brain. Like Joao Carvalho, who died in the cage in Dublin two years ago. As Carvalho lay on the ground dying that night, McGregor high-fived and celebrated with his opponent. Woo hoo hoo hooo!

As a veteran criminal barrister, I can tell you that words are more powerful than any beating. I have stripped the hardest men naked in court, by exposing them in an environment where they are neutered. In a kidnap case once, I cross-examined a witness with an ultra-violent past. I suggested he had several aliases and dates of birth. He denied this. He denied that he had been the person involved in a series of serious crimes across the UK.

Me: The police took the fingerprints and DNA of those men when they were arrested

Him: Did they?

Me: You won't believe this. Their fingerprints are identical to yours (jury giggling, looking at each other in amusement).

Him: That's unbelievable.

Me: If you're amazed by that, then this will knock you for six. Brace yourself . . . they don't just have your fingerprints. They have the same DNA as you (jury laughing now).

Him: That is amazing.

Me: How does it feel to be the only person in history born on several different occasions?

The jury exploded. He could take it no more. He vaulted over the witness box and threw himself across the aisle where I was, before being wrestled to the ground by the security men. As he was being dragged away, he was roaring "Crolly, Rolly, whatever your stupid fucking name is, you've no fucking sperm. I'll fucking kill you and your children, if you had any fucking sperm." Some time later, he was convicted of killing a rival in a family feud by driving over him in his car, then reversing back over him. What happened that day in court is a good illustration of the power of words.

"Your da smells like shit," McGregor told Khabib. He smashed up the bus carrying Khabib away from a press conference. Watch the footage. It looks like football hooligans going on the rampage. Inside the bus, as the glass shatters in on them (two fighters on the bus were injured), Khabib says, "I will fucking kill him." McGregor taunted Khabib about his religion. He said he would kill him. What does he expect in return?

Khabib vaulted over the witness box and threw himself into the aisle because McGregor taunted him to the point where he couldn't control himself. As the commentator so aptly put it before the fight, "Here we go everyone. Khabib, a man who has wrestled with bears since childhood, against McGregor, the Irish gorilla." These human beings are animals, just like Tarantino's fighters, and this is how animals are expected to behave. If they don't, then no one will be interested.

The worst of it was the shaking of heads and moral outrage in the studio afterwards, about how it had "brought the sport into disrepute". This was a bit like the Roman emperor turning his thumbs down, then when the beaten gladiator has his head chopped off, turning to his friends in the imperial box and saying "That was disgusting."

MMA, instead of being banned, is going through the process of normalisation. Once UFC was legalised, it was always going to be a money juggernaut. WME-IMG (Mark McCormack's world-leading sports and talent agency) bought UFC for $4billion in July 2016. Dana White, president of UFC, who said with a straight face on Sunday morning that this was " a black day for our sport", is worth over half a billion dollars.

The rematch (he'll no doubt be praying that's another sad day for his sport) will make him another fortune. They have placed a respectable veil over this savagery, using the conventional language of sports punditry and the trappings of any normal sport. This could be done with anything. Why not legitimise dog fighting? Call it the UDFC (Ultimate Dog Fighting Championship). Have highly trained vets there with expert veterinary first-aiders, so a Dana White type can say, "The primary concern of all of us at UDFC is the welfare of the animals." The fights could be stopped after everyone is sprayed with blood, just like the human version. The commentators just have to do what they already do for UFC. It is easily imagined:

Bob (US commentators are invariably called Bob): "That was a superb contest between two true warrior dogs. It is only a pity that one of them had to lose."

"I agree Bob, you took the words out of my mouth. I see the two trainers are embracing in the cage. This is an example of sportsmanship for the millions of young viewers watching at home. It is hard not to feel proud of this great sport when you see things like this happen."

"Let me interrupt you Bob, we're hearing some desperately sad news. Princess, the loser, who actually defecated on the octagon during the final round of this great fight, has had to be put down. Our thoughts and prayers are with her and her backroom team on this very sad occasion."

"Bob, can I just echo those sentiments. It will be a great consolation to everyone who loved her that Princess died doing what she loved."

MMA is not a sport. It is sold and marketed like the violent video game market. No boundaries. No rules, violence is good. Smash up a bus (a UFC spokesperson said next day "Dana is very pissed off about this."). Gloat over your opponent shitting in the cage as you literally beat the shit out of her. Knock a rival supporter unconscious as part of the fun. Kill a Portuguese kid. Let it all spread like wildfire amongst the kids.

McGregor is a superstar because being violent and out of control is great, lawful business. It is the ultimate pornography. The UFC are missing some tricks. Think of how much more money they could make if the winning fighter, still drenched in blood, got to have sex on stage with a glamorous prostitute as part of his prize. Or better still, what about offering any female in the audience $50,000 to come up on stage and screw him? That would bring in millions more in revenue. PPVs would go off the charts. The kids would love it. The best girls would become superstars. Why not?

People thrill to this extreme violence. Putting people in a cage, dehumanising them, and watching them attack each other with everything they have, brings us to somewhere primitive inside us. It is why the spectators in the Coliseum cheered as the sword was thrust home. It is why kids all around the globe know who Conor McGregor is. It is why, not long ago, the Dublin city fathers were going to offer him the freedom of the city.

It's not McGregor's fault, nor any of the fighters. Nor the referees. Nor the promoters. Nor the audiences. The law permits it. And it shouldn't. Time to ban UFC. It would be a sad day for Dana White, but maybe, just maybe, that is a price worth paying.

Sunday Indo Sport

Last edited by stymie; 21-Oct-18 at 05:49.