Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 18-Dec-16, 06:23
Points: 57,576, Level: 100 Points: 57,576, Level: 100 Points: 57,576, Level: 100
Activity: 88.1% Activity: 88.1% Activity: 88.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,749 Times in 1,916 Posts
Default Re: Paige Vanzant

A bit of a dud, ultimately.

I think a lot of us thought, as the betting odds suggested, that this was going to be a competitive, back and forth fight that could go either way but as it turned out, Waterson dispatched VanZant quickly and efficiently in the first round. Striking and movement looked good from "the karate hottie" and Paige never recovered from being thrown to the mat.

Reminiscent of the one-sided beatdown Rose Namajunas gave her almost exactly one year ago in the sense that Paige is clearly not yet a genuine top 10 Strawweight.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jiminy For This Useful Post:
Old 18-Dec-16, 06:28
Points: 15,348, Level: 53 Points: 15,348, Level: 53 Points: 15,348, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
post fight press conference...Paige shows up at 11:10

Michelle shows up at 50:45

she says switching to southpaw really confused Paige and gave her an edge

Do you think Paige has the best team in the world? Lol. Also anyone know how old she is?
Old 18-Dec-16, 08:06
KO inquisitor
Points: 16,731, Level: 56 Points: 16,731, Level: 56 Points: 16,731, Level: 56
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,231 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
As a bodylock, there's not a lot of squeezing involved, it's more keeping your legs locked and controlling your opponent's body movement.
Why don't they squeeze aswell??
Old 18-Dec-16, 15:20
Points: 563,346, Level: 100 Points: 563,346, Level: 100 Points: 563,346, Level: 100
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 47,590 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcginty [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I'd guess because they don't need to. The choke on it's own is doing all the work and is potentially going to win the fight. Plus if the choke isn't successful and your opponent is able to free themselves, you probably don't want to have exerted unnecessary energy, particularly in your legs, if you might end up back on your feet again.
The Following User Says Thank You to FootPower For This Useful Post:
Old 18-Dec-16, 15:38
Points: 5,218, Level: 30 Points: 5,218, Level: 30 Points: 5,218, Level: 30
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminy [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
A bit of a dud, ultimately.

I think a lot of us thought, as the betting odds suggested, that this was going to be a competitive, back and forth fight that could go either way but as it turned out, Waterson dispatched VanZant quickly and efficiently in the first round. Striking and movement looked good from "the karate hottie" and Paige never recovered from being thrown to the mat.

Reminiscent of the one-sided beatdown Rose Namajunas gave her almost exactly one year ago in the sense that Paige is clearly not yet a genuine top 10 Strawweight.
I'm totally in agreement with you. Paige is cute as hell, but I don't think she is quite as great of a fighter as she is a great marketing tool for the UFC. Her last fight against Bec Rawkings was more of a fluke than an outstanding performance as Bec did a horrid job of blocking an incredibly amateur technique. Paige reminds me somewhat of that professional tennis player Anna Kournikova, as she was really good looking and great for women's tennis, but she never really won any big titles.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Corner Man For This Useful Post:
Old 18-Dec-16, 16:06
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,688 Times in 9,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Corner Man [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Her last fight against Bec Rawkings was more of a fluke than an outstanding performance as Bec did a horrid job of blocking an incredibly amateur technique
I absolutely agree. The way they are hyping that kick is funny. I don't know how one doesn't see that coming from a mile away.
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following User Says Thank You to Naji For This Useful Post:
Old 18-Dec-16, 16:29
Points: 4,833, Level: 29 Points: 4,833, Level: 29 Points: 4,833, Level: 29
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Corner Man [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I'm totally in agreement with you. Paige is cute as hell, but I don't think she is quite as great of a fighter as she is a great marketing tool for the UFC. Her last fight against Bec Rawkings was more of a fluke than an outstanding performance as Bec did a horrid job of blocking an incredibly amateur technique. Paige reminds me somewhat of that professional tennis player Anna Kournikova, as she was really good looking and great for women's tennis, but she never really won any big titles.
Good comparison lol. She can still improve tho she's really young, it's not like this is who she will be forever. If she keeps training she will get better
Old 18-Dec-16, 18:00
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

Paige VanZant's star power still shining after loss
3:04 AM ET
Arash Markazi
ESPN Senior Writer

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Paige VanZant didn't want to tap. Not in her backyard, not in the first round, not on national television.

So as Michelle Waterson locked in a rear-naked choke hold tight, VanZant fought and fought until she could fight no more. It wasn't until VanZant's face started to change color and she was on the verge of passing out that referee John McCarthy stepped in and waved off the fight.

"I took a break to do 'Dancing with the Stars' and I came back and I knocked somebody out. I'm very good at balancing my outside factors. I know how to balance my schedule. I have the best team in the world. I'm very smart. I could have done anything I wanted to, and I chose to fight, and I'm going to continue to balance my schedule."

It wasn't the storybook finish to her main event she had been hoping for, but that doesn't mean there won't be plenty of storybook finishes for her in the near future.

Saturday's result doesn't change the fact that VanZant is a star. She is a celebrity that is no longer defined by wins and losses in the Octagon. Her brand wasn't really going to get a major boost with a first-round win over Waterson, and it's not really going to take much of a hit after her first-round loss either.

That is why VanZant needs to consider her future in the UFC after just her 10th professional mixed martial arts fight.

Waterson gets quick submission win over VanZant

Michelle Waterson made quick work of Paige VanZant on Saturday, scoring an early takedown before locking in a rear-naked choke to get the submission win in the UFC Sacramento main event.

At 22 years old, VanZant isn't necessarily at a crossroads, but she has reached a point where she no longer needs to step into the UFC's unforgiving and unpredictable cage to continue her rise as a celebrity. It's a ride she can now continue to make in the safer and scripted confines of the WWE.

There has been an ever-growing blurring of the lines between the UFC and WWE recently, with Brock Lesnar fighting for both companies this summer, CM Punk making his UFC debut in September, two years after leaving the WWE, and the constant war of words between Conor McGregor and WWE wrestlers, past and present.

It's no secret that VanZant is a wrestling fan and wants to join the WWE at some point. She has never shied away from the question, even when it was brought up before Saturday's fight.

Michelle Waterson defeated Paige VanZant via rear-naked choke at UFC Fight Night in Sacramento. Jeff Chiu/AP

"It seems like I get asked that a lot, so it seems like the people want me to do it," VanZant said. "I would love to. It's an amazing organization. After this, I'll decide what I'm doing and where I'm going, and if other opportunities arise, I'll go for those ... I have so many positive opportunities in front of me right now."

That should come as no surprise. VanZant was the runner-up on "Dancing with the Stars" earlier this year, has been fielding prospective movie roles for the past year, including a starring role alongside Jean-Claude Van Damme, which she turned down to train for a fight, and is a favorite of TMZ videographers when she's in public. After her second loss in her last three fights on Saturday, both of which she main evented, she refused to blame outside factors or interests.

"I was meant for the spotlight, and I'm going to be in the spotlight," she said. "I will be back, and I'm going to have the belt one day. I'm 22 years old, and I have a long time. I'll be back."

While VanZant continues to have lofty aspirations for her UFC career, she frequently references her many opportunities outside the Octagon, including the WWE, and she's more than willing to give those a chance.

"The opportunities are endless," VanZant said. "I have a lot of big things outside of fighting, and I'm going to pursue those for a little while."

UFC strawweight Paige VanZant gained popularity outside MMA by participating in ABC's Dancing with the Stars. Adam Taylor/ABC/Getty Images

There's no doubt the WWE is interested. The company reached out to VanZant's representatives last summer with an eye toward having her at their annual SummerSlam pay-per-view event. The deal never materialized, but VanZant said that she is still interested.

Jim Ross, who recruited and signed many of WWE's current stars, from Lesnar to John Cena, when he was the head of WWE talent relations, believes VanZant could be the next big WWE star whenever she decides to make the transition, envisioning her as a cross between Ronda Rousey and WWE Hall of Famer Trish Stratus.

"Paige has the uncoachable 'it' factor," Ross told ESPN on Saturday. "It's the same as I saw in Dwayne Johnson, John Cena and Brock Lesnar. She even has marketable initials: PVZ. Based on what I've seen, I'd consider Paige a blue-chipper when she's ready.

"If her skill set would match up with her hype and rep, I'd book her making some sort of water cooler talk impact in a perfect TV storm. Wearing gloves wouldn't limit her sex appeal, and it fits who the public knows her to be. I'd intro her with huge fanfare, cover her contract signing, training and document her entire journey. Build a long arching anticipation for her debut, which would be at an important destination. There are lots of right ways to introduce a potential star within the sports-entertainment genre."

"Paige has the uncoachable 'it' factor. It's the same as I saw in Dwayne Johnson, John Cena and Brock Lesnar. She even has marketable initials: PVZ. Based on what I've seen, I'd consider Paige a blue-chipper when she's ready."

Jim Ross

This isn't simply about VanZant joining the WWE because she can't cut it among the top fighters in her weight class. This is about growing her brand and thinking about her career, long-term. WWE stars aren't just wrestlers anymore. "The Rock" is probably the hottest name in Hollywood right now, and Cena is hosting the ESPYS, "Saturday Night Live" and appearing in major movies and television shows.

VanZant may not be totally willing to leave the UFC for the WWE yet, but that shouldn't prevent her from being a part-time performer until she is ready to make the jump full-time. It's the kind of partnership between UFC and WWE that would benefit both promotions. All UFC president Dana White has to do is look at Lesnar's blockbuster pay-per-view numbers and the fact that Punk attracted about 450,000 pay-per-view buys for his first professional MMA fight to see what a little rub from the WWE can do for his fighters and events.

"I'd assume she could do both, but I'm not sure how successful she'd be at either while splitting her focus," Ross said. "The skills required to be a successful, pro grappler are varied and need months of diligent training under the watchful eye of top coaches. WWE has that covered. I'd suggest that she fulfill her UFC commitments and try and live her MMA dreams before committing to WWE, unless it was for a one-off, high-profile cameo at a major event like WrestleMania."

VanZant said she's more than capable of doing more than one thing at a time and said she wasn't exactly sure when she would fight again, saying it could be a couple months or six months or even longer. In the meantime, she will pursue all those opportunities she has in front of her.

"I took a break to do 'Dancing with the Stars,' and I came back and I knocked somebody out," VanZant said. "I'm very good at balancing my outside factors. I know how to balance my schedule. I have the best team in the world. I'm very smart. I could have done anything I wanted to, and I chose to fight, and I'm going to continue to balance my schedule ... I have a lot of passions in the world, and I'm not going to limit myself to one thing."
Old 18-Dec-16, 19:27
Points: 5,218, Level: 30 Points: 5,218, Level: 30 Points: 5,218, Level: 30
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%
Last Achievements

I do find it interesting that Ronda was an Olympic medalist, did a bit in Hollywood, and DOMINATED her division in the UFC, but after one loss, the buzz was that she is washed up.

Paige was a runner-up on Dancing With The Stars, and has had her ass handed to her twice in her last three fights, yet she is considered a rising star.

What are people's thoughts on this?
Old 18-Dec-16, 19:42
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,194 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcginty [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Wastes energy and accomplishes nothing. More about controlling the body so they can get the choke locked in.

** sorry, missed Foot Power's reply, which I basically just repeated.
The Following User Says Thank You to brooksie For This Useful Post:

Tags
mma, paige vanzant, wmma