Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Stories

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 14-Oct-21, 19:17
Points: 6,720, Level: 35 Points: 6,720, Level: 35 Points: 6,720, Level: 35
Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5%
Award-Showcase

Thanked 1,085 Times in 101 Posts
Trophy When a woman won a male judo tournament

Hello,

As some of you know by private messages, I have one other story to tell about a judo tournament I was watching some years ago. I didnt compete at that one due to a foot injury, but still I was there to watch some friends who were fighting, and in one weight category, there was a young woman who would participate between the men.

I think that was because there was basically no other girl to fight her, or maybe just because she insisted to. Anyway, at the end she was champion of that category (else I wouldnt be writing it here LOL) and basically shocked everyone watching. Her way to the title was made of 6 wins and 1 loss.

I would like to know from the community, if you prefer that I describe the whole tournament and all fights at once, or if it is better to divide it by "chapters", like 1 fight per week? Please let me know.

I will let this post here for a few days and depending of the answers, will write further accordingly.

Thanks!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DBLC For This Useful Post:
Old 14-Oct-21, 21:36
Points: 17,782, Level: 58 Points: 17,782, Level: 58 Points: 17,782, Level: 58
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,291 Times in 1,520 Posts
Default Re: When a woman won a male judo tournament

Well, mate, it really depends how much detail you want to put into the tournament. If doing it in an episodic format each week encourages you to write each fall more descriptively, I would prefer that format.

If you would write it exactly the same in either case, then by all means upload it in one complete account.

Regardless, I wish you good luck writing it all out. Sounds like it must have been an exciting tournament to watch. Thanks for sharing, mate.
The Following User Says Thank You to mixfightor For This Useful Post:
Old 15-Oct-21, 02:20
Points: 49,454, Level: 97 Points: 49,454, Level: 97 Points: 49,454, Level: 97
Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9%
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,070 Times in 376 Posts

I think that I would like to read it in chapters, so that you can give your characters a little back story (even if you have to make it up). For instance, I would like to know how this woman got started in judo, her age, her personality. Not super detailed, just enough to make her more real. Maybe a little something about each of the men she defeated, and who was the one man who managed to beat her? How did she react to that loss? It doesn’t have to be long…short chapters are easy to read.
The Following User Says Thank You to judofann For This Useful Post:
Old 16-Oct-21, 12:23
Award-Showcase

Introduction + 1st fight:

So, let’s get started and narrate the tournament. I will do it in chapters, posting 1 fight per week. I think that makes it easier to describe more details without writing a very long text all at once.

As I said, I was slightly injured and did not fight in my category, but since I was well known by the organizators and the referees, they let me watch it “closer”, which means I could transit through the mats area, backstage and the grandstand, and talk to basically everyone. Almost like I was a coach or one of the competitors. The event was a regional tournament, so the participants were mainly from Curitiba (host place) and other cities in a radius of 150 miles or something like that.

This girl looked like a very quiet person, at least in the beginning. She seemed to be 21 or 22 years old and was approx. 1,67 m tall (5’6”). I saw later in the referee list that her official weight taken just a few moments before was 61,5 Kg (135 lbs). The category she would compete was the Men’s Half Lightweight, which is between 60-66 Kg (132 – 145 lbs), so it was kinda obvious for everyone that she was there just to participate.

I took a better look at her and noticed that she was in really good shape, her body did not look strong, but was for sure very athletic. I realized she was a beautiful woman. Although I did not feel attracted immediately, I could see her charm when paying more attention. Her skin was white, with dark brown straight hair, light brown eyes and a face of a “cute girl”, looking to be a bit shy. You would judge her more like a cheerleader than a judo fighter, but there she was with the kimono and ready for action. I thought that in high school, she had probably been one of those girls who could belong to the “popular and mean girls” gang, but had not the wish nor the right personality for that, and preferred to hang out with “normal people” instead. Probably she would even go out with a “nerd” just because he was cute and brave enough to invite.

She was quiet and isolated 90% of the time, and the other 10% she was talking to only one big guy of a heavier weight category, who was a training colleague from her gym. When I had the opportunity, I asked him her name and learned it was Maria Victoria, or simply Vicky. I also asked him why she was fighting in the men's tournament, so he smiled and said friendly: “Because she is good enough for that. You will see”.

The tournament rules were simple, there were 34 competitors divided in 8 groups. Six with 4 fighters and two with 5. The 1st and 2nd placed competitors of each group would qualify to compete on the final knock-out phase, exactly like the football World Cup. Professional judo tournaments do not usually have group stages, but for amateur competitions, it makes more sense. The idea is that everyone can fight at least 3 times, so even if losing all of them, it would at least worth the time and effort invested to be there. She was in a group of 4, together with a colleague from my gym, so she would have 3 fights on that day (Saturday). When he saw it, he said this was not good, because she would be probably be the punchbag of the group and he would have to fight harder with the remaining participants for the only 2 spots in the next round. The final phase was scheduled to the next day (Sunday), and at that moment I was sure she would not qualify.

The first fight:

Her first fight was about to start and I could see the whole audience was now focused only on that mat. Of course, a woman fighting between men gets all the attention. Her opponent was as tall as her, but looked slightly larger, and therfore heavier. He looked older than her, and had a beard that could be scary if you crossing with him on a dark street at midnight. But she did not look impressed nor intimidated with his angry face.

They started on a slow pace, the guy looked cautious, he did not want to give all he could and get surprised by a counter attack. As in judo one ippon finishes a fight, you have to be careful especially when the odds are in your favor. The last thing you want is to lose an easy fight because of a single moment of distraction, and in this case would be a shame for him.

He was stronger than her and seemed to be in control of the actions, always with the initiative, but she kept herself calm and was defending very well, with fast moves and dangerous counter attempts. Almost everyone in the audience was cheering for her, and there was a girl a bit younger screaming all the time “Go Vicky! Get him! You can do it!”. It was her sister, and her parents were also there, watching apprehensive.

After two minutes of an even fight, I was already impressed that she had lasted very well so far, but had the feeling she was getting tired. The guy was pressuring more and more and taking the main actions, while she was struggling to defend. At a certain moment, he finally managed to throw her. She tried her best to escape, but his move was fast, so she fell to her side and the referee gave a Yuko (the lowest punctuation possible, but better then 0 anyway). She avoided the worst, but was now in disadvantage and had to attack more, giving him more chances to counter and finish the fight.

Although I could see she was very skilled, it was clear that she was having trouble dealing with his bigger size and strength. There were now only 50 seconds left and I didn’t think she would be able for a reaction. The fight would probably end like it was, kind of boring and monotonous.

But then suddenly, out of nowhere, she pulled him with all power she had. He got surprised, I think no one was expecting such a quick move, and one of his feet was now out of the ground. She turned her body, put her right leg between his legs and projected him in an Uchi-Mata throw. I gasped a “Wow!”. Where did that come from? The duel was quiet and controlled, and in 2 seconds, he was lying on the floor. I heard the audience cheering and clapping her brilliant move. The main referee gave her a Wazari, it is the 2nd best score you can get, better than the Yuko he had, but not enough to finish the fight yet.

The guy stood up incredulous and wanted immediately to restart the fight. He had now only 40 seconds to turn it around and win… but the referee stopped the fight… the two chair referees, which stay seated on both sides of the mat, were disagreeing with his Wazari decision. They both gave her an Ippon, and this was, according to the actual rules at that moment, enough to reverse the main referee decision. He confirmed the Ippon and declared her as winner, which led almost everyone there to scream and celebrate, except for the guy, his coach and probably his family watching lol.

As the move was too fast, I was not sure if the decision had been right or wrong. From where I was, looked like Ippon to me, but I went down there and asked my friends who were closer. They were also divided, some thought it was indeed, but some thought they gave her a little hand to win because she was a woman. To be honest, although I was convinced it was Ippon, I could understand the loser having the feeling it was not fair. After final greetings, he stayed at the mat complaining with the referees. He could not accept the defeat and was desperate, thinking at that moment that he would be the only one. That was not her problem anyway. She went away and gave a high-five with her heavyweight colleague. Everyone was still happy that she had won at least one fight, very cool for such an underdog.

I wanted to talk to her, but she was such a quiet person, that I did not feel comfortable to approach. She looked to be focused and concentrated, so I just passed by and said “Congrats, Maria” (I didn’t want to call her Vicky without knowing her well). She only gave me a closed-mouth smile like a “Thank you”, but at the same time saying “There is more to come. You saw nothing yet”.

After the whole 1st round was done, I asked a table referee to see the sheet with all results. Two friends of mine were competing in her category. One of them won, and the one who was in her group lost. For every match, there were two blank lines to be signed by the fighters. One was written “Vencedor” (“Winner” in Portuguese) and the other one written “Oponente” (Opponent, just to avoid using the word “Loser” haha). I noticed that on her fight, she signed in the blank of the winner, but added an “a” with the pen at the end of the word “Vencedor”, making it “Vencedora”, the word for winner when it is a woman. Very subtle and discret, but for sure she gave her message.

Her second fight would be against the guy who had just beaten my friend.
I will write it in a few days.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DBLC For This Useful Post:
Old 20-Oct-21, 16:38
Award-Showcase

The 2nd fight:

After winning her 1st fight, Maria would now face the guy of her group who had also started with a win, which was against my friend. He was a blond guy, his surname had an “ö” in the middle, so I guessed he probably had northern European origins, and looked like a kind of cocky person. I hadn’t liked his posture after defeating my colleague, his celebration had been a bit provocative and he had an arrogant manner, so I was decided I would root for her, even knowing it was very unlikely that she would win.

They both entered the mat and I realized there was a noticeable height difference. He was about 6 cm (2 and a half inches) taller and also muscled. Probably he was very close to the upper weight limit of the category, while she, on the other hand, was close to the lower limit. I would be very surprised if she managed to win somehow. I decided to watch it in the grandstand close to her family again, because I had liked the atmosphere her sister had given to her fight, everyone in the area felt influenced to support Maria, too.

The fight started and the guy quickly showed to be very physical. He was aggressive and trying to use his obvious body advantage to attack her wildly. His technique was not so sharp, but was surely compensated with a lot of strength and ferocity. Maria was trying her best to avoid a close combat, where she would be easily overpowered, and could manage to maintain some distance to cool down his “on fire” start.

Her sister beside me kept screaming the whole time “Go Vicky! Go! Keep calm! You are better!”. Unlike her judoka sister, she was not shy at all and did not give a fuck that everyone around was now looking more at her than at the fight. I confess I would like to have this kind of sibling.

Back to the fight, Maria had been successful on not being crushed during the first seconds, but could not do much more than that. I was feeling sorry for her, because she was clearly understanding what was happening and knew what to do, but was physically and also tactically unable to. By their moves, I could see she had a better technique and was waiting for her only chance, which was not coming at any time. Her opponent’s style of fight was “The best defense is a good offense” and at least in this particular fight, that was being proven to be right.

He then slowed down and seemed to be thinking of how to break her defense. Although it had been a one-sided fight so far, what really counts in the end is to score, and that 0x0 was dangerous. His head was always up and he looked at her on a superior way, showing to have full control of his and her actions. The referee punished Maria with a Shido, which is a fault for lack of combativity. It is not a concrete score, but it is a tie-breaker criterion in case of draw on points. After that, she struggled to take some initiative, but he was more intense and was not giving her any opportunity to complete those attempts.

Her opponent again accelerated the fight pace and started attacking and shaking her body. It was now a matter of time to throw her at any moment. She was fast enough to keep up with him, but he was winning by brute force. The projection finally came as everyone was already expecting. She tried to separate her legs to avoid a throw, but was slowly losing balance. He made a final pull and she fell... sadly. The referee gave an Ippon and finished the fight. Her sister punched her bag and shouted “Shit!”.

Maria stood up outraged and looked to the ceiling, like someone who asks “What have I done wrong?”. She had been dominated this time. I could feel her frustration even from where I was. Her style of fight was slower and using technique, and she could not find an answer for the kind of fight her opponent applied. I knew how that emotion was. She probably was sure and felt during the action that she could win, but simply could not figure out how.

I turned to her younger sister and said “That was a hard one for her. She could not really enter in the fight”. She replied: “She gave her best and is my heroine, it happens. But if I know her well, I am sorry for her next opponent now”. I just laughed thinking it was a mere joke and did not mention her next fight would be against a friend of mine. He had won against the same opponent Maria had defeated earlier, so basically now they were both 1W/1L each, and would fight for the one spot remaining in the next round. Like an anticipated knock-out phase.

Again, I went down there. This time I was decided to talk to Maria. Until that moment, I did not even know her voice yet. After looking for her here and there and stopping to make one or two comments with friends about their own fights, I finally found her. She was in a corner alone, stretching her legs, biting her own lips and thoughtful. I guessed she was angry with herself for not being able to find a response and losing without showing much resistance. I was afraid she would be rude with anyone approaching her at that moment, so I decided to touch the emotions.

I came slowly and spoke softly “Your sister is very proud of you, Maria. I was watching your fight next to her”. It worked, shy people are usually very attached to family, so her angry face turned into a sweet smile. She looked at me and I had now her sympathy. “I will win next one for her”. This time I decided to say: “Your last fight is against a friend of mine”. She replied in a nice manner, but the words were the confident and decisive “You mean the last one today”. It was funny to hear that, she looked so cute and inoffensive, I would never expect so much confidence from such a girl. I giggled and let her alone again. She clearly didn’t want any company and I had no intention to be inconvenient. I also had other people to talk to.

Back to where most of the competitors were, I found a small group of 3. Her heavyweight friend, an unknown guy and the guy who had just beaten her. They were talking about the unknown guy’s fight, but when I was coming closer, he asked Maria’s opponent: “And your fight? You won again, right?”. “Yes, I had luck and fought the lady. I don’t know what she is doing here, but I’m glad I could rest for tomorrow. And the last one now will be even easier, do you believe the dude lost to her?”. And he laughed loud. Her big friend was the kind of pacific and nice guy, so he did not say anything, but it was obvious for me that he would later tell her this comment he heard.

I found the main organizer of the tournament, an old Sensei called Roberto, about 60 years old or more, very friendly and communicative. Maybe I could now finally know a little bit more about Maria.

Me: "And who is the girl fighting in the Half Lightweight? Do you know her?”

Roberto: "Oh, she trains with a friend of mine in São José (a neighbor city). She comes from the South and has started with him only a few months ago. He insisted that she could fight the men's tournament and thinks she can do great. I was reluctant in the beginning, but we have no women’s tournament of her weight, so let her participate".

Me: "I liked her attitude after losing last match, but I don’t think she can advance".

Roberto: "Hmm, she is doing really well so far. If we had enough women of her weight category for a tournament, I would bet on her".

I was particularly thoughtful now about the sentence he said "She is doing really well so far". In fact, I had not thought rationally about it until that moment, but I realized that this statement was not 100% true. She had won the first fight, but she was losing it until there was less than 1 minute left and then found a throw out of nowhere. And in her second fight she had been easily controlled and lost without doing much. Maybe she was doing well "for a woman", but if she was a man, I would probably be saying he was a below-average fighter who had 3 seconds of luck, and that's all.

Anyway, Roberto mentioned she came "from the South". In Brazil, to say a judoka is from the South sounds like saying an American Football player is from Alabama or that a soccer player is from Brazil. It does not mean he/she is necessarily good, but the place is well-known for having traditionally the best ones, and he would not mention it if this was not the case.

My last meeting down there was with my friend who would be her next opponent. “Hey bro, nice win. So, you will fight Maria now and who wins, advances. It is practically knock-out phase”. “Thanks! Yeah, but I think 2nd place is dangerous anyway. I will face a hard opponent tomorrow. A 1st placed one”.

It was an answer of someone who was not even worried about the fight against her. He was already thinking about his tomorrow’s opponent. But would there be a tomorrow for him?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DBLC For This Useful Post:
Old 24-Oct-21, 16:12
Award-Showcase

The 3rd fight:

For her 3rd and last fight of that day, I decided to watch it down there closer to the mat. Since it was against a friend of mine, I wanted to see it better and be already there at the end.

Maria and my friend Renan lined up for the fight. He was also taller than her, like almost everyone of the category, and his official weight was 65 Kg (143 lbs) against her 61,5 Kg (135 lbs). Renan looked calm and confident, like she was only a little rock to kick out of his path to the final phase. Then I looked at her and felt almost scared. She had now a different expression compared to her first two fights. The recent defeat had changed her. She still had her shy and cute personality in the background, but was very focused, determined and with her eyes fixed on my friend, like nothing else was important. If an earthquake had started at that moment, she would not even notice and begin to fight anyway.

The fight started. Maria moved herself quickly and immediately got his kimono firmly. She then started to try her first throw, which my friend successfully avoided. He was surprised anyway, had she really tried to finish everything is less than 10 seconds? Very brave, but at the same time very risky. He tried to slow her down and get the control of the fight. However, it was not possible, she kept bringing as much intensity as she could and trying all possibilities to find a spot to attack. Until that moment, Renan was still trying to understand the situation and was unable to even 'find' her on the mat. He seemed lost and unprepared for that.

The risky strategy finally brought some effect. She waited for a moment where he failed to defend properly and applied an Eri-Seoi-Nage. When he noticed what was happening, there was no time to evade it completely anymore. Renan was strong and at least managed to hold himself to avoid the Ippon. He lost balance and fell with his shoulder to the ground. "Yuko!", said the referee. Maria had scored and was now in front. She tried to keep fighting on the ground, but my friend closed his body like a turtle and did not let her do it. The referee stopped the combat and they both stood up. I was impressed, Maria looked to be fighting for her life... No, I think no one fights for his own life like that, she was like a mother fighting for the life of her children. The fight continued and nothing changed.

He had now to try to attack, but there was simply no time to think about attacking. One needs to first at least "see" his opponent in order to do so, and he was not getting any rest of her attempts, which were coming every 5 seconds. He wanted to do something active, but all he could do was to defend. I was hearing a sound coming from behind me which was with no doubt her sister cheering and screaming like always. Renan was getting tired, he had always been in good shape and with good stamina, but no one is prepared to defend the whole time like he was having to do. The referee could maybe give him a Shido, but I can’t say what he was doing was lack of combativity. He was simply having no chance to do it. A zoo can’t be in “lack of mammoths”.

She again found an opportunity and threw him with a De-Ashi-Harai this time. I thought it would be over, he looked to be falling straight, but managed to turn his body only a little bit before touching the ground. "Wazari!". Again, not an Ippon, it was not over yet. I heard her sister and other people booing the decision in the grandstand. The referee was probably unsure. I think it could have been given Ippon, but there was a general feeling she had been helped on her first fight, so he decided not to change the punctuation again. My friend was lucky that he had not lost yet. But Maria did not look to care about it or to complain. She simply kept her pace and knew the advantage was now very big. If she managed to keep doing the same, he would have no chance.

Renan looked shocked and could not believe nor understand what was going on. Me and the other guys watching it had all the same feeling. I heard her big friend saying to someone else “She is finally being Vicky”. I think he meant she was not being herself on the first two fights, maybe nervous or still not comfortable enough, but the need of a win to qualify had now brought her best. The fight restarted and kept exactly like it had been so far. She was in complete control of all actions and could decide when to be more intense and when to slow down. But there were not even 2 minutes of fight yet, it was still far from the end, and I think she was not sure if she could mantain that style of fight for 3 more minutes.

So, she decided to do what we must do when having the favorable momentum: finish it off! She shook him with a lot of power and again turned her body for a throw. I could feel she was fully determined for the Ippon now. My friend was so tired and confused that he could not escape. All he did was to strongly keep his feet on the floor and hold her. But Maria was taking strength out of her whole body and pulled him with all power she could. He finally began to fall, but due to her attempt to be fast, the technique was not perfect. Renan landed again above his left arm and the referee gave a Yuko. Right decision.

However, this time she managed to keep fighting. She quickly went over his body, while he was still trying to recover himself. In less than 2 seconds and giving him no chance to react, she immobilized him with a classic Hon-Kesa-Gatame. It was a simple hold, but very effective and perfectly locked. As she already had a Wazari, she needed to hold him for 20 seconds in order to win the fight. Applause and cheers were coming now from everywhere.

I was impressed. I had already fought Renan many times during training and had never managed to do what she was doing with him. I think our score was very tight, maybe I had only a small advantage, based more on my heavier weight than anything else. I could never imagine to see him being humiliated like that. He was tired, desperate and showing no sign that he could get out. As I was close to the mat, there was a moment when my eyes crossed with his. He looked at me straight and his eyes were begging for help. The 20 seconds did not take long, except for him probably.

Soon, the referee stopped and finished the fight. It was over and she had convincingly won. Maria stoop up, closed her fist and whispered a "Yeah" to herself, I could only read the lips. Her super determined expression disappeared after the win, and she was now cutely smiling again, looking in the direction of her family. She went to her position for the final salutation, but had to wait a bit. What a scene! She was standing triumphant while my friend was still lying on the floor exhausted, trying to recover himself from the beating. I could see his lungs going up and down and pulling all the air possible. If it was allowed, she could make a victory pose over him if she wanted, and would for sure find no resistance. She had just easily dominated him the whole fight.

When he finally stood up and they went out of the mat, I managed to be the first one to talk to him. "Man, what was that?? How come?". He was in shock and barely blinked. I can’t say if he was embarrassed or just as impressed as everybody else. "She is a beast, man! I had no time to breath or think!". I decided to leave him alone. After losing, no one wants to talk much, especially considering who the opponent had been and how she had kicked his ass. He went to the toilet and probably stayed there for a long time. I did not see him again that day.

Now I was trying to find her. I knew for sure she would be either alone or talking to her big friend. And that is exactly what she was doing. But when I saw them talking, I noticed she was looking at me and I was maybe the subject of their conversation. She knew I was not from organization, but I was also not dressed to fight, so she was probably wondering and asking him who I was. When they were done, she came in my direction. I had her sympathy since the moment I mentioned how her sister was proud of her, so I think she kind of trusted me now.

I saw her approaching and was not sure what to say. "Whoa! Great fight, congrats! You impressed everyone. You said it would be for your sister. I think she is happy with the gift". Once again, this strategy worked, she smiled discreetly. "Thanks. I'm happy to qualify. What is your name?". She did not look that proud of her victory nor willing to talk much about the fight. I told her my name and she added already meaning to say bye. "Ok, are you here tomorrow again?". "Yes, of course. I would never miss the finals. Wish you good luck, Maria!". "You can call me Vicky", she said, emphasizing the "You". Shy people are like that, I guess. She had trouble to talk to almost anyone, but once she trusted me, she felt now comfortable.

When she was already making her way to the dressing room, I added "Ok, Vicky then. By the way, you have done a great tournament so far". Her reply was "The tournament begins tomorrow. Today was just a warm-up". I was again admired to see how she was shy and quiet, but at the same time so confident and brave.

I saw her one last time, already dressed in normal clothes and going to the parking lot with her family. It was Autumn, so she was wearing a black light jacket, high-heeled boots and dark-blue jeans. Nothing too different, but quite elegant. Now I was sure no one would ever guess that girl was a judo fighter, if it wasn’t for the fact that she had just destroyed a man in front of our eyes. She didn’t see me this time and only waved at her big friend, saying good-bye.

I found Roberto, the organizer, and asked him to see the results table. I pretended to take a look on all weight categories, but he knew I wanted to see hers in particular. Again, she had added an "a" at the end of the word “Vencedor” before signing the blank line. When I saw my friend's signature on the loser side, was when it finally hit me what I had just seen. She qualified as 2nd place of the group, and would now fight the 1st place of the group right above.

Her next opponent's name was Maycon, and he had won all his 3 fights at group stage. "Roberto, who is Maycon?". He was already prepared for my question and immediately pointed me the guy. I saw a strong man with very dark skin. He reminded me of Sadio Mané, small height for a man, but super fit. Maria, ops... Vicky was now definitely in trouble.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DBLC For This Useful Post:
Old 28-Oct-21, 11:23
Award-Showcase

Round of 16:

After the whole group stage was done and all fights of the Round of 16 were defined, I went home, taking the train that takes about 25 min until my station. My other friend of the Half Lightweight had qualified on 1st place, and some other friends fighting in other categories were messaging me saying how they did, although I actually already knew it all. Obviously, my mind was almost the whole time on Vicky and especially on her most recent fight against Renan. How the hell did she do that? I was still trying to convince myself it was not a dream. Beating him would already be impressive, but the way she did it had been out of this world.

I tried to search and stalk her in Social Media Platforms, but Maria Victoria is too much a common name, and she had signed up in the tournament with Maria as 1st name and Victoria as surname. Not right, but I think no one noticed until it was too late and they left it like that. Anyway, she would just participate, right? There was no hint about her real surname. My search was unsuccessful. During dinner time, the only subject I talked to my parents was the tournament. They were not there to watch because I was not fighting, but they knew my friends and were interested to know their results. No need to say that when I mentioned what had happened with Renan, they got interested, and the rest of the conversation was only about Vicky. They also decided to go there and watch the finals next day.

On the next day, I was there again and noticed the gymnasium had much more people than yesterday. It was basically full. Of course, the finals get much more attention, so even people who were not relatives nor friends to any fighter wanted to take a look. My parents went to the bleachers and I stayed down there talking to some friends. Then I saw Renan up there close to them. He wanted to watch, but I guess he was not brave enough to go down there. My eyes immediately started looking for Vicky, but I could not find her anywhere.

Only after a few minutes I saw her arriving with her family. There were more people this time. Her sister, her parents, and some older people who I judged to be uncles, aunts or grandparents. They went up and she entered the dressing room without noticing me again. After she came out, already dressed with the judo kimono, I saw she had earphones and was listening to some music. She went directly to her favorite “concentration corner”. I went there wanting only to wish good luck, but when she saw me from the distance, she smiled, blinked friendly at me and shook her head in a negative way. The meaning was like “Nothing personal, but please not now”. I was upset I would not talk to her before her fight, but obviously respected.

She was not watching any of the other fights. She was the whole time in her corner warming up, stretching, concentrating and focusing. Even her big friend did not approach her. After some fights of other categories, it finally came her time. Roberto went there to call her.

Vicky came calmly and relaxed to the mat. Maycon was already there waiting for the referee to allow them to come. His body was a small and dense tank, and he was standing seriously and frown. He had either seen or at least heard about Vicky’s last fight against my friend, so he knew he could not go that easy nor underestimate her too much. I think if someone threw a bowling ball on his body at that moment, it would simply deflect and he would not even notice. Vicky, with a clear size disadvantage, lined up. His arm was as thick as her neck, I think I would be very worried if I was her, but she didn’t look to be. They both went to the middle of the mat. It was about to start and I was actually hoping more that she wouldn’t get hurt than hoping for a victory from her. This second scenario did not seem possible.

“Hajime!”, screamed the referee, and the fight began. She did not try something in the first 3 seconds as previously. He was probably aware of that and for sure prepared. Now, she had changed the strategy. Her focused and determined face from yesterday had been replaced by a very relaxed expression. It was kind of a mental game. She was telling him “You are the one who has to win. I have no obligation and will see what happens. Show me what you got”.

Maycon tried the first time, but she easily dodged. He kept trying to find the best position for him, but she was managing to leave him uncomfortable the whole time. In the meantime, she tried one thing or two, just to avoid being punished with a Shido, but I don’t think she really intended to try a throw. He was also trying to use his powerful arms to grab her kimono as hard as he could, but she was moving fast and always avoiding a firm hold. He looked frustrated, like a person trying to find the needle hole. It does not look so hard in the beginning, but once you start failing, you get more and more nervous about it.

That was her mental strategy, it was clear for me now. She was irritating him, probably hoping his nerves would at any moment make him take more risks and give her a chance. Very smart and it was working so far. But still I did not see what her physical strategy could be. I mean, how would she really do something active against that guy? He was too strong for her.

After the first half of the 5 minutes was done, things started getting dangerous for Vicky. It had been a long time she was not trying anything active, a Shido was very close, and Maycon was becoming more and more confident seeing she was not able to offer danger in counters anymore. He tried two or three times and got very close to achieve a throw. I honestly don’t know how she managed to survive. But the situation was now very similar to her loss on the 2nd fight against the cocky blond guy. Everyone was feeling and noticing it was a matter of time for the final and decisive throw.

He tried an Ipon-Seoi-Nage, I could see his arm was perfectly adjusted to her armpit. Now there was no hope anymore. This time I was so focused on the fight that I had not even heard her sister screaming yet, but at that moment I did. She sounded desperate, seeing the moment was difficult. But Vicky managed to do something incredible. Since he was pulling her to her front, she practically threw herself down to the opposite direction, and let the force of gravity help her to keep standing. Maycon was now pulling more and more. He was focused only on throwing her and was already on tiptoes. That was exactly the opportunity she was looking for.

Vicky used her free left arm and wrapped it around his neck. He was totally surprised, probably thinking the only thing she was doing was defending the throw, and now suddenly she was actively doing something. And something very dangerous. She used her feet to trip him up, taking advantage of his toes that were barely touching the ground, and fell down to her back, still holding him. In one second, they were both on the floor, and she was holding him on a classical sleeper hold position. Her body under his back, her arms choking his neck and her legs wrapped around his belly. She knew this was her chance and she had to execute it perfectly now. Vicky started to choke, and the guy was struggling to resist, but the hold was becoming tighter and I could see no way for him to escape anymore. I think it took about 10 seconds, but he finally left his pride aside and tapped out.

“Oh my god!”, I gasped. She did it! The whole audience went euphoric celebrating. Vicky stood up and looked immediately at her family. She celebrated in their direction exactly like Cristiano Ronaldo does sometimes, gesticulating “Calm down, calm down” and pointing to herself and to the ground, “I’m here!”. It was the first time I saw her out of her main personality. She was still sweet and shy, but now she was showing everyone to be very self-confident, too.

Her opponent was again lying on the floor while she was ready for the salutation. His hands on his head, not believing nor accepting what had just happened. When the referee officially declared her as the winner, I heard a lot of whistles and womanish screams.

She went out of the mat, and surprisingly, came directly to me this time, instead of looking for her big friend. “Sorry for ignoring you earlier. I was concentrating before the fight”. “Oh my God, Vicky!! No problem at all! And it was worth! I can’t believe you beat him!”. She then asked, very calm and subtly smiling “Why not?”. I confess I could not think of any answer without sounding sexist. But she quickly laughed. “Relax, I know what you mean. I’m joking”. But she wasn’t 100% joking, it was a small indirect.

The table referee called her to sign the official sheet and I went along. Maycon was signing it on the loser side and seemed to be almost crying of frustration. When she arrived, quiet as always, I knew she would not say anything to him. But he was the one who did it instead. “Good fight”. She replied a cold and direct “It was. Thanks for that”. And then signed on the winner blank, again, adding the “a” at the end of the word “Vencedor”. This was her quiet and pacific protest against sexism.

After all the 8 fights were done, Roberto announced to the 8 remaining participants what the Quarter-Finals would be. Vicky would face again the blond cocky guy who had defeated her. This was the first time I saw her forgetting to be quiet and reserved. She said “What??”. The blond guy then looked at her and smiled. “Not your lucky day, Princess.”, and went away.

The other participants did not pay attention and also went do their stuff, but she stayed there talking to Roberto, and I was not understanding yet what was exactly wrong, so I came closer. “Two fighters from the same group can’t cross in the quarter-finals! Have you never watched any Olympic tournament? They are supposed to fight again only in the final match and blah blah blah”. That was a bit weird. Although she was maybe right, I could not see what was the big problem with that. It really looked like she was afraid to lose. Vicky was probably hoping to fight him again only at a later stage, so she could maybe advance further in the tournament.

Roberto said that the fights had been determined by a draw, but she kept insisting and saying that, if so, the draw had to be open for everyone to watch. Again, I agreed with her, but still I was not understanding the reason for so much complain. After all, what’s the big difference? In order to be champion, one has to fight and beat anyone on the way. She said that was true, but that everything “has to be done right anyway”. Maybe she was seeing the end of line. That guy had indeed defeated her without much effort, so I thought he would almost surely win again. She discussed a bit more, but eventually gave up.

I tried to console and encourage her. “Don’t worry. Maybe you can beat him. Why not?”. I didn’t really think it to be honest, but it was the only thing to say. Vicky looked at me with furious eyes. The word “maybe” touched her and I regretted not having used a better one. “OF COURSE I can! And I WILL!”. She then left me and went in the direction of her big friend, gesticulating and complaining. Probably she was explaining him what had just happened.

“Of course I can! And I will!”. Before hearing that, I was sure she would lose to him. But after that strong statement and seeing the look on her eyes, I was now almost believing her. Still, I couldn’t see how she would do it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DBLC For This Useful Post:
Old 28-Oct-21, 11:45
Points: 1,289, Level: 14 Points: 1,289, Level: 14 Points: 1,289, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

It is such a good story. Keep it up.
Old 01-Nov-21, 11:21
Award-Showcase

Quarter-Finals:

After she stopped talking to her friend, Vicky went again to her typical corner and seated on the floor there. I was not sure if I could join her this time or if she was again concentrating for the fight. So, I looked at her in the distance until she finally saw me. I started walking in her direction and she did not react nor said anything, thus I understood I was allowed to come. I sat next to her and kept quiet for a while. She was the kind of person who will not talk if not requested to, and there was silence for about 2 minutes. I knew she already felt comfortable enough to talk to me, but still not enough to start a conversation. Finally, I decided to speak.

Me: "Who do you think will win this fight?". I was meaning the first Quarter Final fight of her category, which was happening on the closest mat to us. A Japanese guy against a long-haired one.

Vicky: "I don’t know."

That's what she said, but what she really meant was "I don’t care". She looked fully concentrated on her fight.

Me: "Won’t you concentrate with your music again?"

Vicky: "No, I already know what to do. And I HAVE TO beat him this time."

Me: "For your sister, right?"

Vicky: "No, not for her. For you."

This answer surprised me a lot. It was the last thing I would expect to hear. "For me?? Why do you say it? You barely know me."

Vicky: "Don’t you see that besides my dad and grandpa, you are the only man here truly rooting for me?"

Me: "What do you mean? Didn’t you hear the crowd last fight? Everyone is by your side."

Vicky: "Come on, don’t be silly, they are pretending it. For social reasons. But the truth is that no one wants me to win any other fight. Men are like that. They do not really want to see a woman beating other men. The 1st win against a low-skilled opponent is very cool. The 2nd against an average fighter is still nice, but already awkward. After the 3rd win, all they want is that someone stops her. Quarter Finals is the limit for their ego, they do not wish that I advance anymore. Don’t you feel it, too? Some are actually desperate only with the possibility of me reaching the final 4 or get a medal. Let us not mention a gold medal, would be their worst nightmare. And 90% of the crowd is made of men today, so I know the energies are not in my favor, although everyone will pretend it is, or at least pretend to be neutral."

I had, until that moment, never heard her speaking to me for more than 5 seconds, and suddenly, she came with this deep and long speech. But in fact, now that she said it, I started to realize it was true. The celebrations of her victories against her 1st opponent and against Renan yesterday had been authentic and excited. But today, after she defeated Maycon, it looked much more faked, like they were doing it as an obligation.

Me: "Look, I think you might be right. Sorry to hear it, but I swear to you that I..."

Vicky: "No, I don’t mean you. You were and you are really cheering for me. And that’s why I will win the next one for you. I promise."

Me: "What about your big friend? Do you think he also wants you to lose?"

She looked at me ironically like who says "Are you really asking it?". I think she thought it was as obvious for me as it was for her, that he was also a fake supporter. She then looked to the other side and said nothing. She was sad and thoughtful, so I decided to change the subject and not mention him anymore.

Me: "I'm sorry I used the word 'maybe' earlier. And also sorry for saying I did not believe you had beaten the black guy. I didn’t mean to disrespect."

Vicky: "Relax, I didn’t feel disrespected. I just wanted you to understand that I’m not here to participate. I’m here to win."

Me: "If you fight him like you fought Renan yesterday, you have a chance to advance. It was very impressive.”

Vicky: "You mean your friend? That one was too easy."

Such a hard and direct statement. She was not being cocky. Actually, she was being very humble and speaking naturally. She said it was easy because it had really been. Simple as that.

The previous fight was over and now it was her turn. A referee called her name and she stood up.

Me: "Good luck! Do your best there!"

Vicky: "He is the one who needs luck."

Again, she was showing to be very self-confident. I could not precisely define her personality anymore. She was so quiet, sweet, humble... but at the same time she had something inside her, a kind of determination that could not be stopped, and that she knew no one would be able to. I just said one last sentence. "Hope you kick his ass!"

She smiled and said briefly: "I'll be right back."

Vicky lined up for the fight against the blond cocky guy and I stood up to watch it properly. I hated that man and his arrogance, and I was sure she hated him at least twice as much. I took a look on the referee sheet and saw his name was Viktor. I can’t remember the weird surname, I only know it had that ö. But the first thought that came to my mind was the simple and stupid "Well, it is Vicky vs Vik."

"Hajime!". Time for action! It was interesting to notice how her face and expression had changed during the tournament. On the 1st fight, she was the shy and quiet girl. On the 2nd, she was frustrated and impotent. Then against Renan, she was very focused and determined. And in her last fight, she was all relaxed. Now it was the 5th different expression I was seeing. This time, Vicky was furious, hungry for his blood. If against my friend she was a mother fighting for the life of her children, she was now a mother who had just lost the children, and was fighting their murderer for revenge! That shit was personal. And I noticed that even Viktor got a bit intimidated, although he still looked confident.

The first 10 or 15 seconds were tense, they were not fighting, they were just facing each other, competing to see who would show more hate. But as said previously, his main strategy was "The best defense is a good offense". He then started to do the same he had done against her one day before, when he had been very successful. Viktor grabbed her kimono and initiated the pace which he knew she was not able to find a response. During the shaking, he pulled her strongly in the direction of his chest.

When almost reaching his chest, Vicky turned her body quicker than a rabbit and her back touched him with a huge impact. She then put her right armpit above his right elbow and used her left hand to push his right arm. When I finally realized what was going on, I saw she had a perfectly adjusted Osoto-Makikomi. I made a surprise expression, and I’m sure Viktor did it too, although I could not see his face. She continued the move and when he finally started to resist, his back was already on the floor and she was falling above him. "Ippon!". Her sister screams could now be heard even in New Zealand.

Whaaaat?? I took a look at the clock. 4:33 minutes left. 27 seconds! That was the time she needed to finish him off. What the fuck had I just seen? This time, Vicky did not stand up to celebrate. She kept there on her knees looking at her defeated opponent. His eyes were still closed and he was recovering from the pain in his arm. When he opened up his eyes, she was looking directly at him with a serious expression. She raised her eyebrows, like who says "What now, jerk?". Then she calmly stood up and went to the final salutation position. While standing up, Viktor punched the mat in angriness with all his power. Anyone not seeing the scene might have thought something was exploding. But I think everyone there was seeing it.

The crowd started clapping and celebrating. But Vicky was right, I could feel it was kind of fake. The women were genuine, of course, but the men were doing it cause they had to. Not only the ones watching, but I mean especially the other competitors. I felt the general feeling was fear. Fear because she had already gone too far, and a fear that she could do more. But that was not my case at least, I was honestly and authentically happy to see her beating that stupid man. It was a big pleasure to see his fury and disbelief. After the salutation, she went in his direction to the handshake, but he simply turned away and ignored her. The crowd booed his attitude, but Vicky was not worried, she actually made a happy and satisfied face.

She came out of the mat and I was still clapping her. I only stopped when I noticed I was the only remaining person doing it. She then said briefly "I told you I'd be right back. You didn’t believe.", and went directly to the table to sign the result sheet. She was already there when Viktor arrived, and she had not signed yet. Usually, the general rule is that the loser signs first and the winner does it right after. This is not always respected. No one really pays attention, but she decided to use this well-known Rule of Etiquette to provoke.

Usually I expect she would say nothing and simply go away, but when he was approaching, she gave him the pen and said "Gentlemen first". I could not hold my laugh. That was so subtle, but touched him very deeply. "Look here, you bitch!" And he seemed to want to start a fight. Vicky did not step back, but at the same time did not react, she simply kept quiet and knew the men around her would stop him soon. Roberto, her big friend and I were the first ones to get in front of him. Viktor was strong, but for sure he was not stupid enough to fight 3 men at the same time, and he stopped. The big guy shouted "Leave her alone, you idiot! It is over, she won! Just accept and get off". He signed the paper and went away wordless. Vicky then signed the paper, adding her traditional "a" as always. When she turned her head to her friend, he said: "Are you ok, sister?". "Yeah, don’t worry. Barking dogs don’t bite". And she went to the small snack bar grab something to drink. I followed her.

Me: "Did he just call you 'sister'? Why?"

Vicky: "Maybe because I'm his sister?"

Me: "You didn’t tell me he was your brother!"

Vicky: "You never asked."

Me: "But he didn’t go away with your family yesterday. Nor came with you guys today."

Vicky: "He is older. He already lives alone in his own flat."

Me: "But Vicky, why did you say he is not really cheering for you, then?"

Her expression changed. She grabbed her bottle of water with the attendant and started drinking while thinking of an answer. Then she finally said sadly.

Vicky: "I know him really well since we are kids. He does not like any of my success, although he pretends to. It is sad, but that’s how it is. Sorry for saying that, I don’t want to sound arrogant, but I am the talented judoka of the family, and he does not deal well with it. Because he started obviously earlier and he is the one who brought me to this world. I always thought he would be proud if I became a great judoka one day, and I was really excited to show him how much I had improved since last time he saw me. But when he noticed my big improvement, he actually reacted very bad to that. He wanted me to always be the second, the less skilled one, his eternal pupil. Didn’t you hear his sad voice when he told Viktor 'It's over, she won! Just accept!'? He told it to him, but also to himself. He is also having trouble to accept that I’m now better than him.”

I felt sorry for her. She was almost crying, and if I was a friend of hers for more than the 20 hours I was, she would likely ask for a hug. I could feel she was proud of him and that she really wanted his support. But I did not want to go to deep on family issues nor let her upset. So, I said “I’m sorry. Hope he changes his mind one day and see how lucky he is to have you as sister.” Vicky only answered with a gentle smile meaning “Thank you”.

We went back to the main area. This time, the draw of the next round was made openly, as Vicky had suggested/demanded. I got excited when I saw she would now fight the other guy from my gym. He was better than Renan for sure. She would have a hard time, but had already proven to be very skilled. Still, my guess was that he had a reasonable advantage, for let’s say... 70%/30%.

There was now a bigger gap until the next fight, like a resting time for the competitors before the final 4. So, maybe I could figure out a bit more about her. She was not sad or upset anymore.

Me: "Why are you competing here today?"

She was still shy, but now that I had her full trust, she was being more communicative with me.

Vicky: "I just moved here with my family a few months ago. My brother already lives here since a few years and recommended the city. I come from Uruguaiana, in the border with Argentina."

Me: "Hm ok, but why did you join this tournament?"

Vicky: "My new Sensei here insisted to. He was convinced I could do great after I won the internal tournament of the gym.”

Me: "Whoa! Cool! Congrats! How many Half Lightweights are there?"

Vicky: "It was not divided by weight. It was simply open."

Me: "What?? You mean everyone was competing together?"

She nodded with her head. And I realized something.

Me: "Wait, was your brother also competing?"

She then started drinking her water again and looked at me with a face of who says "You are finally understanding it."

Me: "Did you really...?"

Vicky: "Yes, you got it. Yes, I beat him. He was always fond of me, but now you know why he does not want me to win this shit today. Would be too much for him."

I was speechless. That guy was huge, big, strong. How did she manage to defeat him? I wanted to ask details, but she gave me a hint not to ask too much about her family relationships. I decided to change the subject, but only partially.

Me: "Well, your last fight was a pity for him, then. You won easily."

She laughed a bit. "I came here on fire today."

Me: "Well, not that much. Your first fight was hard. I thought you would lose while watching."

Vicky: "The first fight today? Round of 16? Are you crazy? Why hard? I controlled it."

Me: "Come on, Vicky, don’t be convinced like that. You were close to defeat, we all noticed. Your sister was desperate."

Vicky: "No way, did you really think so? I had the guy the whole time."

Me: "He was almost throwing you, Ma'am. I don’t want to sound rude, I am just telling you what I saw. You want me to believe you had full control of the entire fight?”

Vicky: "He thought he was. My sister is not a judoka, but I was sure that at least YOU would notice it was all part of my plan. Why can’t you believe it?"

Me: "Yeah, ok, of course I did, but still a risky plan. He could have done it, right?"

Vicky: "I see you only think a win is convincingly when it is fast or with a huge point difference. Think about soccer. Sometimes a team wins by only 1x0 or 2x0, but had 90% of ball possession and controlled all actions. Was it a hard win? It does not need to be always a 5-goal difference to be defined as a comfortable victory. But yeah, when a man wins like I did, he is a genius and will now win the tournament for sure! When a woman does, she was lucky.”

Me: "Vicky, don’t take it personally like that. I admire your style, your skills and what you have done so far, but you were and you still are kind of an underdog here. All other 3 semi-finalists reached this phase with a perfect score, without losing any fight. My friend and that Japanese guy even had to fight 4 times yesterday and won all of them. While you... you lost one and almost lost other two. I admit you had two great fights against Renan yesterday and Viktor now, but let’s be realistic."

Vicky: "I don’t think I am an underdog. Everyone has 25% of chances now. But I see you are not convinced of that. I think there is only one way to prove my point."

I stared at her thoughtfully. What was she trying to say? She again drank a drop of her water and looked to her side, avoiding eye contact. She added, with an apologizing tone.

Vicky: "I will have to destroy your friend now.”
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DBLC For This Useful Post:
Old 16-Dec-21, 19:21
Points: 979, Level: 12 Points: 979, Level: 12 Points: 979, Level: 12
Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1%

hi thank you
im so wait for more
and one question because you do judo , is it fair for man to fight woman ?
i mean you need to touch and be so close ,and its very very close in judo , it can be embarrassing and he or she will not be as good in normal match .
and another issue that im not sure how i would do, because you need to decide how much force you need you use and most girls have false frigle look , if you understand me , and you dont use as much power like you do with a guy
The Following User Says Thank You to bapmus For This Useful Post: