Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 29-Jan-17, 02:10
Points: 3,518, Level: 24 Points: 3,518, Level: 24 Points: 3,518, Level: 24
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: Should Mixed Boxing be permitted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by del [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
It is not as cut and dried as this. Boxing is an individual sport and it depends on the qualities of the individuals involved, not generalizations about males and females. Females can box against males and win. There is a thread with examples:

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

So the key is in the specific match. There can be good mixed matches between males and females as individual sporting competitions (and not to challenge the notion that any number of men can easily defeat the best woman). I was interested to learn that in US military mixed martial arts, women do compete against men but, as LicensetoKill suggested, they get a weight advantage.
Sorry, but that thread does nothing to prove the point you're trying to make. Those matches involve highly skilled women vs out of shape guys that have zero idea what they're doing. The match in the dark with that girl and the guy was an embarrassment on behalf of the guy. The one with the mma girl was either fake or the guy had zero idea what he was doing. Her punches at the end weren't very coordinated or powerful. I also doubt you would get the natural fighting instinct of a male fighting a female.

I'd like to make a further point. How many women can run sub 11 seconds in the 100m? even further, how many white women can run under 11 seconds in 100m. Guys who aren't even sprinters can achieve that goal over and over. you're talking about less than 100 in the world at any given time for the most elite of female athletes, vs god knows how many amateur guys who can do it. Expecting women to compete with men in boxing is sheer madness.
The Following User Says Thank You to wrestling47 For This Useful Post:
Old 29-Jan-17, 13:10
Points: 4,342, Level: 27 Points: 4,342, Level: 27 Points: 4,342, Level: 27
Last Achievements

I think most would agree that mixed boxing under the current assumptions and rules is just too problematic. In general, women and men of comparable weight are just not well matched strength wise. But how about if there were some other means of matching women with men that they have a good chance of beating? When you get past the weight thing - that's what boxing matches are supposed to be about right? A competition between two comparable fighters, (not a slaughter). So throw out the weight class stuff. Let a bigger stronger woman box a smaller "less strong" guy. Or a man who is otherwise "roughly evenly matched". I'm not saying this would work with professional fighters. But can you see this in a more casual "boxing league" or "boxing club" setting? If you have some fights where the woman wins, you found the formula.
The Following User Says Thank You to smackme For This Useful Post:
Old 29-Jan-17, 19:04
Points: 24,867, Level: 68 Points: 24,867, Level: 68 Points: 24,867, Level: 68
Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,667 Times in 868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestling47 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Sorry, but that thread does nothing to prove the point you're trying to make. Those matches involve highly skilled women vs out of shape guys that have zero idea what they're doing. The match in the dark with that girl and the guy was an embarrassment on behalf of the guy. The one with the mma girl was either fake or the guy had zero idea what he was doing. Her punches at the end weren't very coordinated or powerful. I also doubt you would get the natural fighting instinct of a male fighting a female.

I'd like to make a further point. How many women can run sub 11 seconds in the 100m? even further, how many white women can run under 11 seconds in 100m. Guys who aren't even sprinters can achieve that goal over and over. you're talking about less than 100 in the world at any given time for the most elite of female athletes, vs god knows how many amateur guys who can do it. Expecting women to compete with men in boxing is sheer madness.
My point was that it is possible to arrange a match between a male and a female in which the female can compete, and even win. My post demonstrated exactly that.

I was never talking about incorporating women into the ranks of men's professional boxing. I was talking about the kind of matches more like smackme and LicensetoKill and even the US Army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackme [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I think most would agree that mixed boxing under the current assumptions and rules is just too problematic. In general, women and men of comparable weight are just not well matched strength wise. But how about if there were some other means of matching women with men that they have a good chance of beating? When you get past the weight thing - that's what boxing matches are supposed to be about right? A competition between two comparable fighters, (not a slaughter). So throw out the weight class stuff. Let a bigger stronger woman box a smaller "less strong" guy. Or a man who is otherwise "roughly evenly matched". I'm not saying this would work with professional fighters. But can you see this in a more casual "boxing league" or "boxing club" setting? If you have some fights where the woman wins, you found the formula.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LicensetoKill [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Take a skilled woman and a man 10 lbs lighter, who's never fought in the ring before and you have a bit of a match that people can actually bet on. If you put her in the ring with a guy who's had 4 or 5 fights, then it's not a good fight for her most of the time.

Bobby Riggs (like 45-50 years old at the time) vs. Billy Jean (even though people say he threw the match for a payday, or mafia debt) - that's a fair contest, a woman in her prime a guy, not. I actually like mixed contests. I liked the MacGregow-Chow fight. (most people didn't), but I only liked it cause a significant effort was to be made to make it fair, where odds were in her favor. I don't want to see a lady get creamed in a match. Part of the problem is, some of the audience wants to see that and to me, that gets icky.

I'm actually for mixed fights, if they're set up more in a silly promotional way and not taken too seriously but still competitive. Celebrity boxing kind of thing.
And despite what al89 says
Quote:
Originally Posted by al89 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Well that was quite a while ago, just like that Lucia Rijker fight vs a man. While 2005 might not seem that long in terms of years remember that that was just before the internet and social media exploded into what we have today so in that sense that's like ages ago.
The internet was alive and well in 2005 and there was plenty of controversy over Ann vs man. If another such match were scheduled it would also be controversial (i.e. plenty of support for both pro and con positions), but that does not mean that it could not happen
The Following User Says Thank You to del For This Useful Post:
Old 04-Feb-17, 14:06
Points: 4,549, Level: 28 Points: 4,549, Level: 28 Points: 4,549, Level: 28
Last Achievements

no Imagine if it happens and as a man who get beat by a woman especially with all that hype. I can not imagine any man wanting to risk that. What if she knocks you out. That's total demasculation.
The Following User Says Thank You to pericles77 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-Feb-17, 18:09
Producer
Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by al89 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
There is zero incentive for top female boxers to make these fights. Pro fighters fight within their weight class (and gender) because it furthers their career and they move up the rankings.
Who are the 2-3 best female boxers in the world right now? Who's the "main" women's boxing champion? That is, among fans of women's boxing, who gets the most press these days? What weight division?
Old 04-Feb-17, 19:41
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,194 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCrushes [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Who are the 2-3 best female boxers in the world right now? Who's the "main" women's boxing champion? That is, among fans of women's boxing, who gets the most press these days? What weight division?
Wow! I consider myself a fan of women's boxing and I can't answer a single one of those questions. Too involved in WMMA these days, I guess.
Old 04-Feb-17, 20:59
Points: 57,582, Level: 100 Points: 57,582, Level: 100 Points: 57,582, Level: 100
Activity: 92.9% Activity: 92.9% Activity: 92.9%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,751 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCrushes [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Cecilia Braekhus, "the first lady" is probably the p4p best woman right now.

Unfortunately womens Boxing doesn't get the coverage I'd like to see it get. Here in the UK, it will probably get a little more exposure now that Olympic gold medal winner Nicola Adams is embarking on a professional career. She has signed with Frank Warren promotions and her first fight will be broadcast on BT Sport, the same channel that shows UFC events here.
Old 05-Feb-17, 03:42
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

Is Claressa Shields still an amateur? She could be the bestest of the best.
Old 06-Feb-17, 18:27
Points: 5,775, Level: 32 Points: 5,775, Level: 32 Points: 5,775, Level: 32

Thanked 1,259 Times in 314 Posts

Quote:
I think Braekhus, Katie Taylor and Claressa Shields are the most known ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Is Claressa Shields still an amateur? She could be the bestest of the best.
She is professional now.

I recently posted a video of her getting the better of two male sparring partners in boxing
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

Those guys didn't look untrained at all but ended up getting outmached by her.
Old 06-Feb-17, 19:06
Points: 4,690, Level: 28 Points: 4,690, Level: 28 Points: 4,690, Level: 28
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR3DD [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I know girls are allowed to wrestle boys but what about boxing? Should Mixed Boxing be permitted?

My view: I'm gonna say no. Why? I don't think women are on the level of men in striking. Whilst wrestling is more even I have to disagree on Boxing. Men carry more muscle mass on them and upper body strength which can be used as an advantage in Boxing. I think men are better suited to the striking game.

Just my two cents.

Why not? Nobody is forced into the ring! Why should we prevent two sane adults from doing what they wish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LicensetoKill [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Karate sparing is like fencing, a properly executed a touch and you get a point, it's not to knockout, knockdown or tap. Now, a guy could still give her a hard punch or kick, it's allowed, but it's more often than not, half-contact or less.

Full mixed contact fighting is highly questionable in my book, unless there are serious efforts made to make it a fair fight, like the lady is top 5 in the world and the guy is her weight but isn't in the top 50,000, or is 25 lbs lighter or is 20 years older (and maybe that sounds sexist, but I mean it, that's what you need to make it even, and that's why it will probably never be professional).

I hate one-sided fights unless it's specifically for domination.

Nobody would force the woman into the ring.

Tags
boxing, mixed