Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

View Poll Results: Who will be winner?
Ronda Rousey 158 61.48%
Jean Claude Van Damme 99 38.52%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31-Jul-14, 23:06
Points: 10,097, Level: 43 Points: 10,097, Level: 43 Points: 10,097, Level: 43
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%
Last Achievements

Default Re: Ronda Rousey: Official Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahooserious [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Given the fact that she plays the role of the bad guy on purpose I am sure she is well aware of those folks who hate her and don't get that she is playing a role. No need to publicly humiliate yourself. She knows.
what's to humiliate? she said in a youtube video, 6-10 seconds which was posted in this very thread if memory serves correct, she just wishes one of these haters would work up the balls to come to her face and tell her what they think about her. and she even said she would not hit them.

even if I could travel to her I could be in the same building due to agoraphobia (check it online). she would need to come here which would be a waste of time and money (and give her a good excuse not to hear what I think). not saying she is scared, cause she aint.
Old 01-Aug-14, 02:48
Points: 3,537, Level: 24 Points: 3,537, Level: 24 Points: 3,537, Level: 24
Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
what's to humiliate? she said in a youtube video, 6-10 seconds which was posted in this very thread if memory serves correct, she just wishes one of these haters would work up the balls to come to her face and tell her what they think about her. and she even said she would not hit them.

even if I could travel to her I could be in the same building due to agoraphobia (check it online). she would need to come here which would be a waste of time and money (and give her a good excuse not to hear what I think). not saying she is scared, cause she aint.
Gosh does it need explaining? Do you not understand how foolish anyone would look? I mean really, even the kids these days get that wrestlers are pretending to be bad guys.
Old 01-Aug-14, 07:39
Points: 11,269, Level: 45 Points: 11,269, Level: 45 Points: 11,269, Level: 45
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,124 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahooserious [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
So you are telling me you think Cyborg looks as good in this fight as Rousey has looked in her last two fights? Seriously?
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

If this is what Cyborg looks like off the PEDs then this is more of a mismatch than I had already thought. I give her 30-40 seconds. Max
You asked a question knowing fully well that her last MMA fight was in 2013 and Ronda has been actively fighting. Hardly a fair question that didn't give me much to work with in the first place.

As expected you completely disregard an opponent like Marloes Connen who is/was a solid competitor at 135 & 145. Silly me for thinking a Ronda fan could participate in an objective discussion.
Old 01-Aug-14, 11:16
Banned
Points: 16,177, Level: 55 Points: 16,177, Level: 55 Points: 16,177, Level: 55
Activity: 44.1% Activity: 44.1% Activity: 44.1%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wrestler [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
You asked a question knowing fully well that her last MMA fight was in 2013 and Ronda has been actively fighting. Hardly a fair question that didn't give me much to work with in the first place.

As expected you completely disregard an opponent like Marloes Connen who is/was a solid competitor at 135 & 145. Silly me for thinking a Ronda fan could participate in an objective discussion.
There`s an excuse for everything
The Following User Says Thank You to bruce911187 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-Aug-14, 14:00
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wrestler [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

How on earth did I "disregard her?" Your arguments make no sense and you continue to cherry pick. The fact of the matter is Rousey looks to be the vastly superior fighter and *your* example supports that fact better than anything so far. If anyone is disregarding anyone it is you who is disregarding all of Rousey's opponents. Cyborg did not look good in that fight period. Has nothing to do with Connen. Cyborg looked slow, weak and sloppy in that fight. She looked like someone who would last 30 to 40 seconds with Rousey. If that is as good as Cyborg can be off the PEDs then she may never get a shot at Rousey. She may lose one of her two mandatory fights at 135. If that fight represents her levels now I don't give her much chance against Cat Zingano much less Ronda Rousey.
Old 02-Aug-14, 06:10
Points: 11,269, Level: 45 Points: 11,269, Level: 45 Points: 11,269, Level: 45
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,124 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
How on earth did I "disregard her?"
I answered your question and your typical come back was, which is basically your answer to anything "I give her 30-40 seconds. Max" without taking into consideration who Cyborg was fighting.

Quote:
Your arguments make no sense and you continue to cherry pick. The fact of the matter is Rousey looks to be the vastly superior fighter and *your* example supports that fact better than anything so far.
Your question was "Can you point to any examples of a drug free Cyborg looking anywhere near as good in MMA against equal opposition"

Seeing as Cyborg and Rousey aren't in the same division equal opposition was not possible which was the first flaw in your question. Cyborg has only had 2 MMA fights after her suspension, Fiona Muxlow and Marloes Coenen. Seeing as Cyborg beat her in 2010 and after her suspension, it was the only example available to answer your question. For some reason you jumped the gun and assumed I meant Cyborg looked as good in this fight as Rousey has looked in her last two fights, that was not the case and it would be silly of me to argue otherwise. My example merely explained that a drug free Cyborg was still kicking ass.

My only arguments are that an MT fight has no bearing on what happens in an MMA fight and that Rousey will not walk all over Cyborg, I don't even know who wins between the two of them.

When Cyborg fights in December and tries to make 135, we'll see where she is at

Quote:
If anyone is disregarding anyone it is you who is disregarding all of Rousey's opponents. Cyborg did not look good in that fight period. Has nothing to do with Connen. Cyborg looked slow, weak and sloppy in that fight. She looked like someone who would last 30 to 40 seconds with Rousey. If that is as good as Cyborg can be off the PEDs then she may never get a shot at Rousey. She may lose one of her two mandatory fights at 135. If that fight represents her levels now I don't give her much chance against Cat Zingano much less Ronda Rousey.
I've only mentioned McMann and Davis as not being stand up fighters like Baars. What opponents of Rousey did I disregard?

But to put your mind at ease, I have no problem with her opponents or 135 for that matter. Contrary to popular belief 135 is a very good division filled with good fighters.
Old 02-Aug-14, 13:23
Last Achievements

Your arguments aren't even making sense at this point. The fact is that a PED free Cyborg has looked like crap and there is no logical reason to think she has a chance in hell against Rousey should she actually win two fights at 135 and get a shot to fight Rousey. Smart thing for Dana White to do is get Cyborg in there as soon as possible before the fans catch on that she isn't even a legitimate contender off the PEDs. Once the fans realize that the interest will go away.

Yeah I'll say it again. Cyborg will not last more than 40 seconds. This is a total mismatch.
Old 03-Aug-14, 15:19
Points: 97,743, Level: 100 Points: 97,743, Level: 100 Points: 97,743, Level: 100
Activity: 47.6% Activity: 47.6% Activity: 47.6%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,111 Times in 4,078 Posts

Nine for IX Shorts: Rowdy Ronda Rousey
Published on Aug 2, 2014
On Feb. 23, 2013, Ronda "Rowdy" Rousey became UFC's first female bantamweight champion. With an inside look at her record-breaking fight, the film looks at how Rousey has paved the way for women in UFC and how her rough childhood shaped her career.

Old 05-Aug-14, 19:41
Points: 97,743, Level: 100 Points: 97,743, Level: 100 Points: 97,743, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Randy Couture: UFC would be 'silly' to book Gina Carano vs Ronda Rousey title fight right away

By Adam Guillen Jr. @[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]GuillenJr on Aug 4 2014, 10:00p

"The Natural" says if Gina Carano does sign with UFC, he hopes she gets plenty of time to get her feet back under her and back into fighting shape before going straight into the deep end against "Rowdy."
Tweet Share Share 71 Comments

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White reveled that if he was successful in locking down the services of Gina Carano, she would get an immediate title shot against current women's 135-pound champion, Ronda Rousey.

This, even though Carano hasn't competed in mixed martial arts (MMA) in five years.

According to Randy Couture, while he has no issues with a fight between the two talented women, it would only be competitive and entertaining if "Conviction" is given the proper time to get back into solid shape. In fact, he thinks that if her first fight back is against "Rowdy," it would be a "silly" decision.

His words on"The MMA Hour:"

"I have not gotten a chance to talk to Gina and she hasn't really reached out to new me regarding that situation. I think she's as capable as any athlete that I've been around. Technically, it's a very interesting matchup; she's a very, very good striker. We've not really seen Ronda Rousey face a solid striker like Gina Carano. I think if Gina had an achilles heel, even when she was at her peak over five years ago, it was the grappling side of things. So, my sincere hope is that they give her a chance to get up to speed, get back into top fight shape and really kind of up her grappling technique and that side of her game. Then it would be an amazing fight. I think it's silly, it'd be silly for Gina. I think Gina has way more to lose there than she has to gain in stepping right in to a title fight after being off and off the mats in training environment for five years. And frankly she's done a great job in her movie career, I don't know why she would want to do that. I think if they give her a chance to get her feet back under her and get back up to technical speed where she was, it woudl be a very interesting fight."

Couture, a former UFC Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight champion, helped Carano hone her skills during her reign as the Strikeforce champion and the face of women's MMA, which is the primary reason he only wants to see one of his former students get a fair shake.

Because fighting someone like Rousey -- who has been very active and firing on all cylinders (example) with no time to get back into her old form -- doesn't make a whole lot of sense and will only benefit UFC.

He explains:

"I think from a business standpoint, absolutely, ZUFFA and UFC are going to put a ton of money in their pockets for that fight whether they let Gina prepare properly or not, that's not really a question. I think that's huge fight. For a long time Gina Carano was the queen of MMA. She is exactly what Ronda Rousey is to MMA right now. To have those two meet up, is a huge fight on the business side of things. Obviously, my loyalty and my concern is for Gina Carano and that she gets a fair shake and gets to get up to speed, get a couple of fights under her belt and get back on track, get back into the former tactical prowess were used to seeing her at. To throw her right in against Ronda Rousey in the very first fight; Ronda is firing on ally cylinders right now, she's been very active and she's as sharp as she can be right now. That just doesn't make a lot of sense to me."

Good points from "The Natural."

Nevertheless, talks between UFC and Carano have cooled down a bit, which means a potential title fight between Carano and Ronda is on the backburner for now, giving the rest of UFCs women's division hope to secure a title shot next.

I can think of at least one person (Amanda Nunes) who might be jumping for joy.

Amanda Nunes: Ronda Rousey's striking 'not very good,' knockout victory over Alexis Davis was 'luck'

Nunes also believes she will make Ronda quit should she they ever find themselves locked inside the Octagon.

Ronda Rousey continued to show her dominance as the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight champion at UFC 175, as she blitzed through Alexis Davis via a 16-second technical knockout in Las Vegas, Nevada (recap).

Aside from showing off her improved striking skills, which put Davis down for the count, "Rowdy" also managed to set her happiness free (see why here) and start her much-needed break in order to take care of some lingering health issues.

Amanda Nunes, however, was not impressed with Rousey's shellacking of Davis, as the 135-pound contender told FOX Sports that Ronda simply got lucky and went on to proclaim that the judoka's striking is "not very good."

Her words:

"This is the main thing: After this fight I think the UFC will give me the opportunity. After I beat Cat Zingano in this fight, I want to prove in this fight that I'm ready for Ronda. Her striking is not very good. She knocked Alexis Davis out because she was lucky. I think she's very good with her Judo throws and everything, but I'm ready for that. After this fight for sure I'll start training for Ronda. If she comes to strike or if she goes on the ground, I can beat Ronda, too. I think keeping distance from her and don't give her the opportunity to grab you. If you punch her very hard, she'll give up. Move back and forth and throw a punch. By the end of the second round, she won't have enough to keep it going and that's my strategy and I'll beat Ronda Rousey."

Nunes insists she's 100-percent focused on picking up her third straight win when she fights Cat Zingano, the current No. 1-ranked fighter in the women's bantamweight division, as the two get set to battle at UFC 178 on Sept. 27, 2014 in Las Vegas.

A task that's easier said than done, as Cat is hellbent on reclaiming the title shot she was forced to cough up to Miesha Tate after she blew her knee out last year. A win for either woman in "Sin City" will likely put them at the front of the title shot line and Nunes, for one, is ready for her time in the spotlight.

Her words:

"I'm more focused, I'm at a great gym and I have everything I need to be a champion. I think now I'm very experienced to be a champion. My style has changed a lot and I'm always trying to get better. This is my time. I want to prove it in this fight with Cat and after that, 100 percent, a title shot."

While many believe recently-signed Holly Holm will be the one to give Ronda a run for her money once she picks up her first UFC, Nunes wants to make sure she punches her ticket for a shot at "Rowdy" first.

Of course Amanda (and everybody else for that matter) will have to keep waiting for a shot at Ronda should Gina Carano decide to make her Octagon debut this December (details) after a five-year hiatus from the sport.

By Adam Guillen Jr. @[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]GuillenJr on Jul 22 2014, 6:00p
Old 05-Aug-14, 21:08
Last Achievements

Ok, the video above was removed, here it is in 2 parts

Nine for IX Shorts: Rowdy Ronda Rousey
Published on Aug 2, 2014
On Feb. 23, 2013, Ronda "Rowdy" Rousey became UFC's first female bantamweight champion. With an inside look at her record-breaking fight, the film looks at how Rousey has paved the way for women in UFC and how her rough childhood shaped her career.