Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > The Pioneers

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 11-May-16, 21:58
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,688 Times in 9,926 Posts
Video Interview with Bill Wick

Interview with a pioneer of our scene, Bill Wick, conducted by Jennifer Thomas, recorded on 26th of March, 2016.

I would like to thank Mr Wick for his time and generous answers, and @[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] for all the time and work she put into making this wonderful interview happen.
Old 11-May-16, 22:43
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts
Default Re: Interview with Bill Wick

Great interview! But at 21:29 he says in the picture of him with Kay it's 1979 and thinks he was 42....that would mean he was born in '36 or '37, so he would now be 79 or 80. But at 23:28 he says he's 73 now
Old 12-May-16, 04:15
Points: 55,987, Level: 100 Points: 55,987, Level: 100 Points: 55,987, Level: 100
Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5%
Last Achievements

Thanked 20,444 Times in 1,285 Posts

I've never had the pleasure of meeting Bill, but have known of him for many years as well as purchasing several of his videos. We all owe a lot to him for getting this interest of ours' started to where it is today. I've often thought how much of a loss Kay was to us and the talent we were robbed of seeing because of her tragic passing.
Old 21-May-16, 00:49
Points: 2,940, Level: 22 Points: 2,940, Level: 22 Points: 2,940, Level: 22
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

cool guy
hasn't aged a day
Old 25-May-16, 16:57
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,688 Times in 9,926 Posts

Moved topic back to Pioneers section.
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Old 25-May-16, 17:11
Points: 16,821, Level: 56 Points: 16,821, Level: 56 Points: 16,821, Level: 56
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,626 Times in 947 Posts

I thought the best part of the interview was when he talked about how he would just go up to women and asked them if they wanted to wrestle, and mostly got good results

So much talk on this forum about how to get a woman to wrestle you, and I guess his direct approach worked lol
Old 12-Jun-16, 02:24
Points: 3,257, Level: 23 Points: 3,257, Level: 23 Points: 3,257, Level: 23
Last Achievements

My ex wife (Cassandra in the Joan Wise films) was Kay Baxter's very first weight lifting partner when Kay was just starting out in body building and she was an aerobics instructor at a women's health club that Cassandra belonged to. . Cassandra preferred dance, aerobics and cardio work so didn't stick with the weights but you all know the Kay Baxter story. I only ever met Kay once but was supposed to do a film with her for Joan Wise but Kay had to cancel at the last moment. I never met Bill however.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave loses every time For This Useful Post:
Old 13-Jun-16, 19:57
Points: 5,185, Level: 30 Points: 5,185, Level: 30 Points: 5,185, Level: 30
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

I thought of Bill when pondering the various new laws/rules regarding sexual identity.

I'm sure that if Bill were in HS nowadays, he would declare that he was female and try out for the women's wrestling team....
Old 15-Jul-16, 23:59
Last Achievements

I probably have some old photos around too - like those shown in Bill's video.

My recollection is a little different. I remember Bill telling me about his interaction with California Supreme. In those days there was no professional Track & Field and either he or the dentist (Dr. David) managed to make a couple of films with T&F competitors like the U.S. champion pentathlon competitor, Jane Frederick. Also a lesser known Canadian T&F competitor whose sister was a world champion. (No video in those days.) I think he said he lived with her for a while too, but I faintly recall him saying she was gay.

There was a publication from a Peter Van Duyn "Women's Physical Culture" (I think the spelling is OK) and Bill had a letter published in an issue with a photo of the squeezing ballerina. (Many years later Bill tried his "direct approach" with Van Duyn's ex-wife (Tina Woodley), but she must have been one of the 2%. I remember her telling him that he may not like it. Kind of a veiled threat and Bill started tweaking his mustache in even more interest. "How do you know I wouldn't like it?," he said

Way back, some friends and I (e.g., "Tom Jackson", Steve Wennerstrom, et al) were trading photos of athletic women. Most from T&F, as no BB for women had started yet. Later, another joined the group from Pennsylvania. He was selling armwrestling 8mm films and he and "Tom" started Premier Productions later. The first films were in 8mm to my recollection.

At a BB show, we met a competitor whose husband/trainer had been on the Iranian Olympic wrestling team. He had taught her how to wrestle. Shortly afterwards, PP or its predecessor company (maybe it was Jentz's compoany) put out a film of her wrestling with her husband. I think that this was the first mixed wrestling production that emanated from the BB world.

I think Bill got involved with wrestling productions only after he purchased a Betamax video camera. I don't think he ever made any 8mm films. I recall at a show in Denver (I think), we ended up in someone's room with Kay and Bill wanted to make a video. He asked someone to pretend that he had broken into the room (a familiar plot perhaps?) and Kay would awaken and squeeze him senseless. The sqeezee was the person who ended up with Premier Productions, John. (John, though, said he preferred F/F action.)

His breakup with Kay was very hard on Bill. I don't know what happened, but someone told me that she was tired of camping out and wanted some of the nicer things in life. She and "Pillow" ended up being "sponsored" by a wealthy person in LA. He paid for her living expenses and probably more, but according to Bill, she had to go out with him at his discretion. He was married to a former circus aerialist who was said to be extremely strong. Dennis, I think, was his first name. This was the time that Kay made some films/video for Sam Oldham (SMO Productions). Sam was a trained Director, member of the Guild, but had a drinking problem.

When Kay was killed in the car accident, Bill told me he went to the scene of the crash with a tape measure because he wanted to ensure himself that it really was an accident. I think she was driving a Corvette convertible, suggesting that she had started to get some more material things. (BTW, Kay was the subject of a documentary on Canadian TV when she still lived in Toronto and was married to someone else. I think I have the program on an old VHS tape. I think Bill wouldl probably like to have a digital copy of that program.)

I don't know Bill's age, but certainly in his 70's. He did have some amazing stories of post-Vietnam action on special missions to various places. He would disappear for a while, then show up and say he couldn't tell us where he had been or what he had done. Once he showed up with a cane (perhaps the penultimate reason he looked to be limping in the video interview) which resulted, he said from an injury sustained when a helicopter in which he was riding was shot down over a swamp at night and he had to jump out just prior to it crashing and burning up. He was the only survivor and was picked up by a rescue helicopter the next day. Oliver North's business I suspect.

Steve Wennerstrom told me that he was the cameraman on Bill's early videos. I understood that Bill helped Steve through some tough times when a parent died, but they had some sort of fallout about which Steve refused to discuss.

Clearly the arrival of the internet was a great event for Bill. It allowed him to connect with persons of similar interests and also to market his videos. I recall him telling me many years ago that he had about 3 times as many videos made as he had released - at that time.

Sic transit.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Polyglot For This Useful Post:
Old 16-Jul-16, 00:35
Last Achievements

Addendum.

I met Jennifer way back too - when she was competing in early Fitness Shows. I liked her look and took a few rolls of film of her.

Just took a look in my filing cabinets and found a few sheets of slides of Kay along with some negatives and contact sheets of B&W film. Couldn't find the Jennifer Thomas stuff. Maybe I shot her with a digital camera. Re-check and found a Jennifer Thomas entered in a show in Oregon in 2002 in the Figure category - not Fitness. Alas, I do have a few piles of unsorted slides and contact sheets. I purchased my first DSLR in 2002 while I was in Saudi Arabia, but used film for the 2002 show. I know I have some digital photos of her at an Emerald Cup in the digital era with, I think, someone named Terri Stevens.
The Following User Says Thank You to Polyglot For This Useful Post: