Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

View Poll Results: Rousey vs Nunes. Who will win?
Ronda Rousey 47 59.49%
Amanda Nunes 32 40.51%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-Jan-17, 06:13
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,194 Times in 794 Posts
Default Re: Ronda Rousey vs Amanda Nunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Ronda Rousey must retire after crushing loss to Amanda Nunes
Josh Peter , USA TODAY Sports 10:38 p.m. EST December 31, 2016

Nunes said she shushed coach Edmund Tarverdyan in part because he encouraged Rousey to box with the champ, who stopped Rousey on her feet in the first minute USA TODAY Sports
USP MMA: UFC 207-NUNES VS ROUSEY S OTH USA NV

LAS VEGAS — For Ronda Rousey, there is only one sane move: retire.

The cuts and swelling on Rousey’s face will heal in the coming weeks. But the mental damage she suffered during the beatdown against Amanda Nunes Friday night at T-Mobile Arena will last forever.

Fighters don’t dare enter the octagon without their confidence fully intact. Rousey’s confidence is shattered beyond repair based on what’s already known.

In November 2015, Rousey suffered her first loss when she got knocked out by Holly Holm in a setback that sent her into seclusion. Three months later, during an appearance on The Ellen Show, Rousey told Ellen Degeneres that she was so despondent after the fight, she considered suicide.

It’s hard to imagine Rousey is any less devastated after her loss to Nunes at UFC 207. She refused to do publicity this week leading up to the fight, presumably a sign of Rousey’s commitment to redemption.

Now the idea of redemption must give way to retirement, and Rousey, 29, has plenty of post-fight options.

Option No. 1: Sit on Venice beach near her home and contemplate her next move

Rousey got $3 million for the Nunes fight, so that would help pay the rent and electricity bills for the near future.

Option No. 2: Explore TV and movies

Back-to-back losses will sap her star power a little. But she’s bright, funny and attractive, and those attributes should land her opportunities.

Fox Sports would be smart to offer her a spot on its Fight Night broadcast. And Dana White, UFC’s president, also understands Rousey’s value and surely would find a role for her.

Option No. 3: Coach and mentor fighters

Whether it’s a school for young fighters or up-and-coming pros, Rousey has a lot to offer mixed martial arts fighters. Beyond mixed martial arts, Rousey seems well equipped to help empower young girls.

Here’s what she’s not equipped to do: Fight again. Ever.
What an arrogant, presumptuous piece of writing. I find myself agreeing with Ariel Helwani when it comes to the mainstream media - they do more harm than good. Here's a much better piece by Chuck Mindenhall:

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Old 02-Jan-17, 19:15
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

Nice compilation of criticisms of Count Chocula posted yesterday

nothing about him after 9 minutes though

The Following User Says Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-Jan-17, 19:40
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Monday Morning Analyst, dissection of Rousey/Nunes fight in second half of podcast:

The Following User Says Thank You to brooksie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-Jan-17, 23:04
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Last Achievements

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-Jan-17, 23:15
Points: 5,775, Level: 32 Points: 5,775, Level: 32 Points: 5,775, Level: 32

Thanked 1,259 Times in 314 Posts

I don't think the coach (while he's clearly incompetent) is the main problem. She doesn't have the right attitude to training and has been in conflict with every single coach she has had. Edmond is the only one who seems to know how to work with her due to his emotional manipulation and put her in a mental state where she felt invincible with his "yes man" attitude and complementing her all the time but now it obviously backfired. Still, who knows what would have been.

Had she trained in Jackson Wink or some other gym she would probably storm out the first time someone would be too harsh with criticism or after someone would rough her up at sparring.

The thing is she is good at judo but just doesn't have the talent for boxing. Striking and grappling are different things, some people just can't be good at both. A lot of decorated male wrestlers and judokas just don't like to get hit and have shit striking and don't go far while some master it naturally.

The coach can only do so much, naturally talented boxers have been monsters way before they got elite coaching, the elite coaches just fix the details and give them some basic gameplans.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to al89 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-Jan-17, 00:37
Banned
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by al89 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I don't think the coach (while he's clearly incompetent) is the main problem. She doesn't have the right attitude to training and has been in conflict with every single coach she has had.
Hmm, that's odd. I've followed her career quite closely, going back to her Strikeforce days and I haven't come across that opinion before. I know she had some problems with her Judo coaches when she wanted to move to MMA, but I understand that's common, as Judo coaches generally take a dim view of MMA to begin with. As for MMA itself, I'm not aware she has had any coaches, other than Edmund. Guest trainers, yeah but I'm pretty sure he's been her only coach. I was among those who thought the Holm fight exposed weaknesses that should have motivated Rousey to seek new training but I don't think Tarverdyan could be a complete incompetent and be in business as long as he has. I think it's like a lot of people have said - he's a boxing coach, not really an MMA one.
Old 03-Jan-17, 00:47
Points: 5,775, Level: 32 Points: 5,775, Level: 32 Points: 5,775, Level: 32

Thanked 1,259 Times in 314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Hmm, that's odd. I've followed her career quite closely, going back to her Strikeforce days and I haven't come across that opinion before. I know she had some problems with her Judo coaches when she wanted to move to MMA, but I understand that's common, as Judo coaches generally take a dim view of MMA to begin with. As for MMA itself, I'm not aware she has had any coaches, other than Edmund. Guest trainers, yeah but I'm pretty sure he's been her only coach. I was among those who thought the Holm fight exposed weaknesses that should have motivated Rousey to seek new training but I don't think Tarverdyan could be a complete incompetent and be in business as long as he has. I think it's like a lot of people have said - he's a boxing coach, not really an MMA one.
From what I know she had problems with her judo coaches, that's what I was referring too.

I don't know for sure about MMA, I think I read that she tried 3 different coaches before going with Edmond but Edmond has been her only coach since he debuted.

She also worked with Rener Gracie (he was her grappling coach) who used to be in her corner up until this last fight so maybe she split with him too.
Old 03-Jan-17, 02:30
Last Achievements

Ronda Rousey’s coach on possible suicidal thoughts post-UFC 207 knockout loss - 'There is no concern'
by Adam Guillen Jr. Jan 2, 2017, 7:00pm EST

After Ronda Rousey suffered the first loss of her career, getting knocked out by Holly Holm at UFC 193 in Melbourne, Australia, back in Nov. 2015, "Rowdy" admitted she went down a dark path that included suicidal thoughts. After more than one year away from mixed martial arts (MMA) competition, Rousey returned to the Octagon last Friday night (Dec. 30, 2016) at UFC 207, suffering an even quicker defeat, this time at the hands of current division champion, Amanda Nunes (see it again here).

So what is Rousey’s mental state following the 48-second technical knockout loss? According to her nutritionist, Mike Dolce, she’s in a better place than she was after UFC 193, revealing this time around there are no suicidal thoughts creeping into her head. In addition, he explained the reason she took the loss to Holm much harder during a recent appearance on "The MMA Hour:"

"No, there is no concern about that. She’s in a great place and she has an amazing support system around her, truly. I think she’s at an excellent point in her life. And this is my personal opinion -- what happened in Australia against Holly, that was like a death. It was a death of who she wanted to be, and she was trying to be the first and only undefeated retired champion. And when that became impossible, it became difficult for her and for us. For those closest to her, it was difficult for us to go through, but we rebounded and came up with a different gameplan."

Being around top-level fighters throughout his career, Dolce knows just how different fighters react after crushing losses. As for what he sees from Rousey, she’s doesn’t become aggressive like many do, but rather she opts to isolate herself.

"I’ve been with athletes, and I don’t want to name names, that just destroy locker rooms, hotel rooms. They become extremely despondent and belligerent to the people closest to them. Ronda doesn’t do any of that, so I think it’s just different. Each athlete is different, their internal drive is different and their external representation of what’s happening inside is different. Ronda becomes rather quiet, and standoffish and needs her space, which is very important. Some athletes act out in a more aggressive matter, male and female, so it’s not just a guy thing. So I wouldn’t say it’s much different, it more individual-wise."

Indeed, Rousey -- unlike after her loss to Holm -- released a statement almost immediately following her defeat to "Lioness," revealing that she would take time off before deciding her next MMA move. Meanwhile, those closest to her would prefer she use her other skills to make a living and retire from face-punching altogether.
Old 03-Jan-17, 07:19
Producer
Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,066 Posts

One of the running themes throughout practically every article/interview about Ronda over the last year-plus is other people and what they did to "prepare her" or "support her", how they dealt with her losing, what THEY want, etc. And now you've got a nutritionist speculating about whether she's suicidal? What in the actual FUCK, yo? A nutritionist??

It's a pretty big leap (of arrogance) from "I cook her food" (or guide her meal plan) to "I'm a confidante who can speak with certainty about her innermost thoughts hours after she's just had her bell rung".

Will the fuckstick parade ever end?
Old 03-Jan-17, 09:31
Banned
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by al89 [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
From what I know she had problems with her judo coaches, that's what I was referring too.

I don't know for sure about MMA, I think I read that she tried 3 different coaches before going with Edmond but Edmond has been her only coach since he debuted.

She also worked with Rener Gracie (he was her grappling coach) who used to be in her corner up until this last fight so maybe she split with him too.
I don't know much about the judo world but just from following Rousey I've run across a bit of information. As I understand it, judo is a pretty harsh coaching environment that, apparently, a lot of fighters struggle in, so I'm not sure that's all that unusual.

As for MMA, I've often heard fighters advise people to make sure they check out a few gyms and try to find one that seems to fit so, again, maybe it's not all that unusual to look around a bit before settling down. I have heard about fighters who are considered "gym hoppers", who can't seem to stay with any one gym.

As for Rener Gracie, I know he's gotten pretty busy with his seminars, plus it seems like Ronda's main focus has been boxing, not that you'd have known it from the fight.

Added after 7 minutes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCrushes [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
One of the running themes throughout practically every article/interview about Ronda over the last year-plus is other people and what they did to "prepare her" or "support her", how they dealt with her losing, what THEY want, etc. And now you've got a nutritionist speculating about whether she's suicidal? What in the actual FUCK, yo? A nutritionist??

It's a pretty big leap (of arrogance) from "I cook her food" (or guide her meal plan) to "I'm a confidante who can speak with certainty about her innermost thoughts hours after she's just had her bell rung".

Will the fuckstick parade ever end?
To be fair, Mike Dolce is a bit more than just a nutritionist. He's also been a major part of Rousey's team for a long time. Here's the full interview he did on the MMA Hour yesterday. Starts around 19:45

Last edited by brooksie; 03-Jan-17 at 09:31.