Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 02-Feb-18, 22:58
Points: 4,199, Level: 27 Points: 4,199, Level: 27 Points: 4,199, Level: 27
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Default Ronda Rousey in the WWE

I am hoping the community might have some interest in discussing Rhonda's decision to move over to the WWE. In particular. how difficult will the transition be for her in terms of adjusting to the different requirements of sports entertainment vis-a-vis UFC? An expert told me that pro wrestling
manoeuvres appear similar to those used at times in UFC, but the grips are adjusted slightly so as to permit more theatrics, and less distress to the victim.
Also, the moves have to be slowed down.

Any thoughts on this or related issues?
Old 02-Feb-18, 23:56
Points: 6,813, Level: 35 Points: 6,813, Level: 35 Points: 6,813, Level: 35
Last Achievements

Default Re: Rhona Rousey in the WWE

In WWE, the outcomes are predetermined and the matches are scripted. They have to if you think about since they have a broadcast time slot to fill with either match action or talking. It would catastrophic to have someone like Rousey winning in under two minutes for a match that is scheduled for 10 minutes. Imagine listening to their commentary staff for filler.

What is going to be interesting is if WWE puts Shayna Baszler on the main roster and have her and Rousey on the same show. Is WWE creative going to dumb the script or would they take a gamble and turn them loose for a real match.
Old 03-Feb-18, 00:20
Points: 7,346, Level: 36 Points: 7,346, Level: 36 Points: 7,346, Level: 36
Activity: 33.3% Activity: 33.3% Activity: 33.3%
Last Achievements

I believe she's actually signed a more long term contract versus just a celebrity "cameo" type deal. The WWE knows that she's going to need a lot of work before she's ready and it's my understanding that after she is finished shooting the movie she's doing that she's going right to the performance center in Florida to be really trained in the craft. There is a real art to wrestling and you have to be able to protect yourself and your opponent while making it all look painful and it's not easy.
Old 03-Feb-18, 00:29
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I believe she's actually signed a more long term contract versus just a celebrity "cameo" type deal. The WWE knows that she's going to need a lot of work before she's ready and it's my understanding that after she is finished shooting the movie she's doing that she's going right to the performance center in Florida to be really trained in the craft. There is a real art to wrestling and you have to be able to protect yourself and your opponent while making it all look painful and it's not easy.
Dilly dilly..... Seriously, at the indy level, some of the wrestlers are talented enough to put on a 10, 15, 20 minute performance with no scripting and make it look pretty convincing. But you may not get an entire show at that level unless you go to one of mid-sized promotions where they can draw enough of a regular crowd to make it work financially.
Old 03-Feb-18, 01:41
Points: 112,379, Level: 100 Points: 112,379, Level: 100 Points: 112,379, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Thanked 20,597 Times in 2,527 Posts

If they use the UFC "Indestructible Monster" card that they pulled with Lesnar, they might as well forget it. Lesnar is no longer a threat in UFC and they treat him like a god where he doesn't even show up but 2-3 times a year. People watching pre-determined entertainment like this don't want that kind of shit. Show up or don't bother. You also have to learn how to do that style like Kurt Angel did. That Bayzler lost half her damn matches in UFC and one can say WWE only takes washed up UFC people, since they are no longer an attraction in UFC.
Old 03-Feb-18, 01:51
Points: 4,184, Level: 27 Points: 4,184, Level: 27 Points: 4,184, Level: 27
Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9%
Last Achievements

I think she could be a damn good heel.

I'm looking to see how she cuts promos and works the mike, that's what really sells in pro wrestling.

I wonder if she'll venture back into the UFC for a big money fight against some future champion like Lesnar did, she'd be foolish not to.
Old 03-Feb-18, 05:25
Points: 7,346, Level: 36 Points: 7,346, Level: 36 Points: 7,346, Level: 36
Activity: 33.3% Activity: 33.3% Activity: 33.3%
Last Achievements

The difference between her and Lesnar though is he was a professional wrestler before he was a UFC fighter. After being a collegiate wrestler, he spent two years in developmental before being put on the WWE. It was a quick rise to stardom in pro wrestling terms, but nothing close to the crash course that Rousey is going to have to do to be ready by Mania.
Old 03-Feb-18, 16:02
Last Achievements

Default Re: Ronda Rousey in the WWE

I thought this was an interesting insight on how WWE works.

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Old 03-Feb-18, 16:13
Points: 10,111, Level: 43 Points: 10,111, Level: 43 Points: 10,111, Level: 43
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,274 Times in 172 Posts
Default Re: Ronda Rousey in the WWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantim [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I am hoping the community might have some interest in discussing Rhonda's decision to move over to the WWE. In particular. how difficult will the transition be for her in terms of adjusting to the different requirements of sports entertainment vis-a-vis UFC? An expert told me that pro wrestling
manoeuvres appear similar to those used at times in UFC, but the grips are adjusted slightly so as to permit more theatrics, and less distress to the victim.
Also, the moves have to be slowed down.

Any thoughts on this or related issues?
I personally think she doesn't have nearly enough of an interesting personality to cut it in the WWE; obviously I know we're beyond the days of Stone Cold/The Rock/Mankind/Undertaker - the Attitude-era days where the wrestlers actually seemed to be playing roles, but even now there are lots of wrestlers with a hook.

This is especially the case with female wrestlers, to me; Asuka, for instance? Super-big personality, great visual, lots of build-up before she even entered the WWE-proper. Rousey looks bland and boring as Hell compared to her; there's also no way you can give her a Lesnar-style unbeatable monster hook, because she's basically a joke thanks to her last UFC stuff.

So.. Yeah. In terms of the sport? I think she'll do fine. She'll learn how to take bumps, etc and will probably be a fine wrestler. But there doesn't really seem to be much of a personality or a quirk or something they can rely on for kayfabe; unless they do a Kurt Angle-style thing where they lean into her status as a UFC loser and have her work her way up from nothing (which will not happen), they're going to have their work cut out with her, IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Onatopp For This Useful Post:
Old 03-Feb-18, 18:20
Points: 12,856, Level: 49 Points: 12,856, Level: 49 Points: 12,856, Level: 49
Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noface [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
If they use the UFC "Indestructible Monster" card that they pulled with Lesnar, they might as well forget it. Lesnar is no longer a threat in UFC and they treat him like a god where he doesn't even show up but 2-3 times a year. People watching pre-determined entertainment like this don't want that kind of shit. Show up or don't bother. You also have to learn how to do that style like Kurt Angel did. That Bayzler lost half her damn matches in UFC and one can say WWE only takes washed up UFC people, since they are no longer an attraction in UFC.
I don't watch enough to know about what they did with Lesnar, but that's my sense as well. When Ronda cameo'd the made it like all she had to do was touch the other girls wrist and the battle was over. That doesn't make for good watching. They have to make her at least conceivably beatable or there's no story line. If she's human it could work. I think she's got the personality for WWE for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to LicensetoKill For This Useful Post: