Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 17-Feb-17, 19:42
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,194 Times in 794 Posts
Default Jobbers Over The Years

Was looking at some old video last night, stuff from the 70's, maybe early
80's. I wonder if people think "jobbing" (did I just make up a new word?) has changed much over time. It was very "hammy" back then, almost as if the jobbers needed to make it clear that what they were doing was fantasy, not real. Nowadays I think it's easier to accept a man getting out-grappled by a woman. It was more of a stigma back then.
Old 18-Feb-17, 13:06
Points: 14,256, Level: 51 Points: 14,256, Level: 51 Points: 14,256, Level: 51
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 1,096 Times in 394 Posts
Default Re: Jobbers Over The Years

Hi Brooksie, I could write a book, and a couple of the ladies with whom I became pals over the years actually urged me to, LOL.

I was one of those jobbers that many men here dislike, because I was in it for the fun, pure and simple. So I'd ham it up (rationale: A. I was funding it, so I wanted to enjoy myself, and the damn things were selling! B. Many of our regular fans liked seeing a scenario based on real-life situations that could make them think, "Whoa, that actually COULD happen to me"... it 'made it real' for them).

As a former martial artist (26 years) I *could* have engaged more competitively even though I'm a little guy, but I simply didn't want to. The most I ever tried was in one of my first MM films with Lee Price, "The Challenge," and that was kind of half-hearted. As I recall I only won 2 or 3 falls.

Fans seem to demand more legitimacy and focused effort these days... which is fine! Quite possibly the increased focus on women with real competitive drive and the skill to back it up, are part of the reason. I had a brief but lovely acquaintance with Sybil Starr (I miss you dear girl!), and she really impressed me with her ability and willingness to *fight*!

And for those of you who disliked jobbers like me..... sorry! But hey, ya know... it was a hobby! I'd do it all again any day of the week and Twice on Sunday!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to galaxy advisory For This Useful Post:
Old 18-Feb-17, 13:45
Points: 11,563, Level: 46 Points: 11,563, Level: 46 Points: 11,563, Level: 46
Activity: 45.2% Activity: 45.2% Activity: 45.2%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,006 Times in 624 Posts

Dave from Women's World was one of the best jobbers in the business.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizyz For This Useful Post:
Old 18-Feb-17, 14:10
Points: 47,294, Level: 95 Points: 47,294, Level: 95 Points: 47,294, Level: 95
Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5%
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,424 Times in 784 Posts

I think you had more terrible over-actors back then. Like the loud stupid male who would scream (think Kid Dynamite). As much as I hate Dante's work, you had Bob from C&B ("I'm thinking about it!") and Buddy from Creative Films. Just terrible jobbers.

Foreign jobbers are better than American jobbers as they don't say a word. But if it was up to me, there was one jobber in Jaguar who was perfect. Skinny guy, act tough before the fight, surprised at the beginning. Say fuck you when losing. And then submit and act defeated in the middle to the end. Begging by the end.

Rarely see that now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewYork For This Useful Post:
Old 18-Feb-17, 19:22
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYork [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I think you had more terrible over-actors back then. Like the loud stupid male who would scream (think Kid Dynamite). As much as I hate Dante's work, you had Bob from C&B ("I'm thinking about it!") and Buddy from Creative Films. Just terrible jobbers.

Foreign jobbers are better than American jobbers as they don't say a word. But if it was up to me, there was one jobber in Jaguar who was perfect. Skinny guy, act tough before the fight, surprised at the beginning. Say fuck you when losing. And then submit and act defeated in the middle to the end. Begging by the end.

Rarely see that now.
I always think of Drew, from Scissor Vixens - "I can't talk", he says. I hear ya, buddy, I can't type at this keyboard either.
The Following User Says Thank You to brooksie For This Useful Post:
Old 18-Feb-17, 23:43
Points: 47,294, Level: 95 Points: 47,294, Level: 95 Points: 47,294, Level: 95
Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5%
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,424 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I always think of Drew, from Scissor Vixens - "I can't talk", he says. I hear ya, buddy, I can't type at this keyboard either.
Drew. "Are you crazy?!?!" Ugh...he's so bad.
The thing I love about mixed wrestling is when the girls win its a shock and surprise. So the victory for the girl is pure elation, while the man suffers humiliation.

Mixed videos rarely capture that.
Old 18-Feb-17, 23:50
Points: 20,860, Level: 63 Points: 20,860, Level: 63 Points: 20,860, Level: 63
Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,288 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYork [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
there was one jobber in Jaguar who was perfect. Skinny guy, act tough before the fight, surprised at the beginning. Say fuck you when losing. And then submit and act defeated in the middle to the end. Begging by the end.

Rarely see that now.
Can you point out to the related video please? I would love to see it.
Old 19-Feb-17, 01:01
Banned
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy advisory [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Hi Brooksie, I could write a book, and a couple of the ladies with whom I became pals over the years actually urged me to, LOL.

I was one of those jobbers that many men here dislike, because I was in it for the fun, pure and simple. So I'd ham it up (rationale: A. I was funding it, so I wanted to enjoy myself, and the damn things were selling! B. Many of our regular fans liked seeing a scenario based on real-life situations that could make them think, "Whoa, that actually COULD happen to me"... it 'made it real' for them).

As a former martial artist (26 years) I *could* have engaged more competitively even though I'm a little guy, but I simply didn't want to. The most I ever tried was in one of my first MM films with Lee Price, "The Challenge," and that was kind of half-hearted. As I recall I only won 2 or 3 falls.

Fans seem to demand more legitimacy and focused effort these days... which is fine! Quite possibly the increased focus on women with real competitive drive and the skill to back it up, are part of the reason. I had a brief but lovely acquaintance with Sybil Starr (I miss you dear girl!), and she really impressed me with her ability and willingness to *fight*!

And for those of you who disliked jobbers like me..... sorry! But hey, ya know... it was a hobby! I'd do it all again any day of the week and Twice on Sunday!
You hit the salient point right off the top - you paid for it, you get to do whatever you like. I think a lot of the business was like that back then - enthusiasts playing out their fantasies (hobby, fetish...whatever anyone want s to call it). I imagine some people wound up making money and creating a business but it seemed like that was more of an after-effect than the reason they started making videos in the first place. I think of guys like Bill Wick, who sent out his little picture flyers but never really seemed to care that much if anyone bought his vids or not. I noticed at one point, not too many years ago, more effort seemed to be being put into marketing his stuff. I don't know if that was his doing, or someone else's.

Anyway, you're right about people demanding more authenticity now. Society has changed since the days when you were active. Now it's no big deal for a bunch of guys to talk about a woman who could kick their ass. I've heard many a conversation sparked by some chick named Ronda something or other.

So back to the question of this thread. In your era, jobbers were really supposed to do more acting than anything else. They played a heel role, offered minimal resistance and got their asses kicked. The talked a lot, throughout the video. But now, with the aforementioned change in the landscape, what is the new role of the jobber? How should they be acting in videos?
The Following User Says Thank You to brooksie For This Useful Post:
Old 19-Feb-17, 01:35
Points: 16,299, Level: 55 Points: 16,299, Level: 55 Points: 16,299, Level: 55
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 2,023 Times in 615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy advisory [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

Did you do work for Scissor Vixens? I had heard somewhere that you were in some of their earlier videos.
Old 19-Feb-17, 01:40
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

Quote:
But if it was up to me, there was one jobber in Jaguar who was perfect. Skinny guy, act tough before the fight, surprised at the beginning. Say fuck you when losing. And then submit and act defeated in the middle to the end. Begging by the end.
Was that Timmy? Seem to recall him acting like that. Hope you don't mean "Rocky", he came across as phony as well as hammy. There was a jobber named Ernie for Joan Wise, not sure if he was in any Jaguar videos, he was pretty good (IMO), even better than Timmy.

Ernie

Timmy