Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Wrestling & Fighting Discussion

Old 05-Apr-17, 15:57
Points: 47,294, Level: 95 Points: 47,294, Level: 95 Points: 47,294, Level: 95
Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5%
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,425 Times in 785 Posts
Default My idea for better TV/movie fight scenes

I've given up on better male jobbers so here is my next project that will go nowhere. How to make better TV/movie fight scenes.

The typical male vs. female fight scene is the woman with zero emotion doing many fast paced martial arts moves with a good but inferior man. During the fight scenes there will be many cutaways to a random man watching. When the woman wins, there is no emotion. Its as if this happens all the time.
Sometimes she faces several men.

What I'd like to see is make the fight more personal. Why are they fighting? Make it one on one. And have zero cutaways and plenty of trash talk. The Avengers did this with Emma Peel at times. But sadly, the art is lost.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NewYork For This Useful Post:
Old 05-Apr-17, 16:04
Points: 5,819, Level: 32 Points: 5,819, Level: 32 Points: 5,819, Level: 32
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Default Re: My idea for better TV/movie fight scenes

Emma Peel is still the all time greatest. I thought the people who made Haywire completely screwed the audience by not showing the final scene where Gina Carano takes out the bad guy. She's got him isolated for a one on one fight to the death, they could of filmed an incredible fight scene where she either scissors of chokes him out, but instead the bad guy says "oh shit" and they fade out.

Hollywood will never get it right, they are all sizzle with no steak. You will only find good fem fighting/grappling on the internet or in a session.

Last edited by Stirlingbloomingdale; 05-Apr-17 at 16:20.
Old 05-Apr-17, 18:07
Points: 16,375, Level: 55 Points: 16,375, Level: 55 Points: 16,375, Level: 55
Activity: 14.3% Activity: 14.3% Activity: 14.3%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 2,035 Times in 618 Posts

There is so much wrong with hollywood fight scenes, this thread could become 100+ pages! The thing that cracks me up the most is that EVERYONE in these action movies that get into fights, is a kung fu black belt.
The Following User Says Thank You to Braddogg4345 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-Apr-17, 18:57
Last Achievements

And a trained acrobat who can run up a wall, do a backflip and land on their feet.
Old 05-Apr-17, 19:10
Points: 5,775, Level: 32 Points: 5,775, Level: 32 Points: 5,775, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,259 Times in 314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYork [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

What I'd like to see is make the fight more personal. Why are they fighting? Make it one on one. And have zero cutaways and plenty of trash talk. The Avengers did this with Emma Peel at times. But sadly, the art is lost.
I think that in the American movies/series they just don't like to have a woman villainess (who would talk trash and act arrogant) winning.

From what I recall most of women winning fights in movies/series are good girls who beat up some random henchmen of some evil man, or if there is anyone acting arrogant it's always the man.

I'm afraid they're just always trying to make something feminist where it's just the men that are evil.

I rather see a mean and arrogant woman like Xenia Onatopp winning against males who are good guys. Or like Fatima Blush from that other James Bond movie. You don't see female characters like that anymore.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to al89 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-Apr-17, 21:34
Producer
Points: 27,544, Level: 72 Points: 27,544, Level: 72 Points: 27,544, Level: 72
Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,066 Posts

I was extremely disappointed with the use and final disposition of the character of Ares in "John Wick 2".
Old 06-Apr-17, 00:15
Points: 5,514, Level: 31 Points: 5,514, Level: 31 Points: 5,514, Level: 31
Last Achievements

Hey, just buy the Kickass Kandy videos. They do all of that. With humor to boot.
Old 06-Apr-17, 13:34
Points: 47,294, Level: 95 Points: 47,294, Level: 95 Points: 47,294, Level: 95
Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5% Activity: 9.5%
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,425 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated G [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Hey, just buy the Kickass Kandy videos. They do all of that. With humor to boot.
Actually I was going to mention how they fail too. Its always some random henchmen vs. 1 girl and everyone knows karate etc.

I wish they would do a one on one fight where we get a great story line. Their girls are the hottest in the mixed wrestling industry.
The Following User Says Thank You to NewYork For This Useful Post:
Old 06-Apr-17, 13:53
Points: 14,693, Level: 52 Points: 14,693, Level: 52 Points: 14,693, Level: 52
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

At its core, Hollywood is afraid of portraying females being superior to men physically. I have always thought this. Even on police shows with female cops, they rarely show a female cop arresting and handcuffing a man, let alone show a woman pinning down a man in a fight or winning a fight with a hold like a headscissor or figure 4. I don't know if the men behind these decisions are secretly submissive and don't want that to come across in their movies and shows or if they're just terrified women might get ideas, but I've always thought there was some psychology and political agenda behind these things.

Yes, you get some exceptions, but for the most part, this holds true. Even in the old Wonder Woman show, she rarely used the lasso to restrain a male, and if there was ever a show crying out for female dominance imagery, it was that one. I can only think of one instance where she even physically laid her hands on a male who was fleeing her, and they cut away from the action the minute she got her hands on him so you couldn't see how she was holding him down.
Old 06-Apr-17, 14:36
Last Achievements

Great examples, I think it's a societal taboo, not just Hollywood. I remember as a kid watching Charlie's Angels re-runs and being all geeked up for what I hoped was one or two of the Angels having to capture and restrain a baddie, but the story always ended with another Angel showing up with one of their toy sized 38 pistol to capture the villain instead of a physical battle.

After seeing it happen enough times I just stopped watching and for the same reason never watch tv shows or movies that tease you with possibilities but never deliver. I'll occasionally catch myself being intrigued by a commercial, but if you watch or DVR the show it's always a 1 second scene before they cut away. The Avengers were the only ones to ever get it right, and we have the "Cool Britania" 60's culture to thank for that.

I would love to see someone direct a realistic fight between a man and woman of equal size and strength, naturally the man would probably shine early in the fight but the female would outlast him and likely dominate him after he runs out of gas. Make it a realistic scene where she scissors or chokes him unconscious, and he fights like hell to prevent it but ultimately loses in a rough and tumble, all out fight. They will show a man do it to a man in a heartbeat so why not show a woman do it to a man?

Last edited by Stirlingbloomingdale; 06-Apr-17 at 14:43.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stirlingbloomingdale For This Useful Post: