Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 30-Jul-17, 18:36
Points: 1,511, Level: 15 Points: 1,511, Level: 15 Points: 1,511, Level: 15
Activity: 5.9% Activity: 5.9% Activity: 5.9%

Default Re: Alexa Grasso

alexa to fight randa markos ufc fight night
sunday 6th august mexico city
Old 06-Aug-17, 20:05
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,194 Times in 794 Posts

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

Wouldn't really call it controversy but there were some differing opinions in the Twitterverse following this one. Split decision, so it definitely wasn't a clear-cut win for Grasso. I thought Markos won but that seems to be a minority viewpoint.
The Following User Says Thank You to brooksie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-Aug-17, 02:23
Points: 57,579, Level: 100 Points: 57,579, Level: 100 Points: 57,579, Level: 100
Activity: 90.5% Activity: 90.5% Activity: 90.5%
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,749 Times in 1,916 Posts

Very close fight. Rd. 2 was definitely Markos but I thought Alexa just edged rounds 1 & 3.

Just like in the Herrig fight, Grasso didn't "let her hands go" until quite late in the third and landed some of the best strikes of the fight.

Got to question her dedication and desire especially factoring the issue of her missing weight. She shouldn't be missing 115 looking at her frame. A lot was expected of Grasso, but based on her 3 UFC fights so far, she's been too hesitant to pull the trigger and poorly prepared for her opponents. Doesn't appear to have advanced her skills too much since arriving in Invicta.
Old 07-Aug-17, 03:55
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminy [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Very close fight. Rd. 2 was definitely Markos but I thought Alexa just edged rounds 1 & 3.

Just like in the Herrig fight, Grasso didn't "let her hands go" until quite late in the third and landed some of the best strikes of the fight.

Got to question her dedication and desire especially factoring the issue of her missing weight. She shouldn't be missing 115 looking at her frame. A lot was expected of Grasso, but based on her 3 UFC fights so far, she's been too hesitant to pull the trigger and poorly prepared for her opponents. Doesn't appear to have advanced her skills too much since arriving in Invicta.
I think when she looks back on her career this past year - 18 mths. she'll definitely see it as developmental time. I agree, she hasn't appeared to show all she has to offer. But she has her first UFC win now and I often hear how that makes a difference in some fighters, it proves they belong. I think she may be one of those. Markos is usually a tough fight for anyone, so that could be a confidence builder, too.
Old 07-Aug-17, 06:24
Points: 57,579, Level: 100 Points: 57,579, Level: 100 Points: 57,579, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I think when she looks back on her career this past year - 18 mths. she'll definitely see it as developmental time. I agree, she hasn't appeared to show all she has to offer. But she has her first UFC win now and I often hear how that makes a difference in some fighters, it proves they belong. I think she may be one of those. Markos is usually a tough fight for anyone, so that could be a confidence builder, too.
She made her promotional debut against Heather Jo Clark last November and is now 2-1 in the UFC.

She was perhaps too confident and believed her own hype, thinking the path was laid out and all she had to do was walk it. She was a huge betting favourite against Herrig and in that fight she looked flat and hesitant until she realised it was time to get motoring in the third but it was too little too late. With all due respect to Felice, that for me was a classic example of hard work beating (complacent) talent. Now, against the spirited Markos, I still didn't see enough adjustment.

Alexa probably does need a few years to mature, not only as a fighter but as a person. Time is on her side when you look at someone like Cynthia Calvillo who I was surprised to learn is in fact 30 years old.

Last edited by jiminy; 07-Aug-17 at 06:34.
Old 07-Aug-17, 08:30
Producer
Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,066 Posts

Alexa is only 23 years old. That's *extremely* young in the fight game. As she gains more experience and faces some adversity, her entire game is going to elevate if she wishes to keep up. She has the skills, and just as important (if not moreso), she's shown that she has the toughness, too. She got mashed in the face early in the 1st round and was on the receiving end of some heavy elbows in the 2nd and she never once backed down vs Randa. I thought she fought really well to escape from a couple of weak positions.

I'm normally not a fan of 115s, but I loved this fight.
Old 07-Aug-17, 08:32
Banned
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminy [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
She made her promotional debut against Heather Jo Clark last November and is now 2-1 in the UFC.
Right, I totally forgot about the Clark fight. I guess it wasn't very memorable. I'll have to go back and take a look. The UFC's got a lot of good straw weights so it'll take a while for her to rise to the top tier, if she has it in her. Someone on Twitter suggested Paige Vanzant for a next fight which is kind of interesting, I guess.
Old 07-Mar-23, 21:16
Last Achievements

Alexa Grasso is your new 125lbs UFC Flyweight champion.

She defeated Valentina Shevchenko, the long-reigning champion via submission.

It was a competitive fight with Grasso impressing with her Boxing skills - clipping the head of Valentina multiple times and giving her problems striking.

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register][Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

Shevchenko produced some good level-changes and double leg takedowns to win the 2nd and 3rd rounds, spending a lot of time in top control.

Grasso was looking fresh going into round 4 however, and having trained to jump the back of Valentina when she went for a spinning body kick, she did exactly that. It was like something Demetrius Johnson or Bryan Ortega might have done - opportunistic, creative and slick.

She wasn't under the chin, but was able to squeeze, crank and exert enough pressure to force the tap from Valentina with less than a minute to go.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jiminy For This Useful Post:
Old 26-Mar-23, 21:48
Last Achievements

Is Alexa Grasso now being pushed as "the face of women's MMA" ?

She's a looker and she's Mexican - a huge market for the UFC. Even in the US there's a huge hispanic market that cheers and supports Mexican fighters.

When Grasso came to the UFC, there was clearly an aura around her. Like the UFC was going to promote her.

Often fighters like this fall on their face. Sage Northcutt was the same. They made a big deal about him. PVZ, Cynthia Calvillo. Khamzat Chimaev.

Alexa Grasso was getting put into co-main event slots as far back as her fight with Felice Herrig in 2017, 6 years ago. There was clearly always a shine about this woman and the UFC was keen to promote her and saw star quality in her.

After Felice won that fight, she was whining that the UFC wasn't promoting her and should pay for her to go to a Chicago Cubs game and let her throw the first pitch. lol. Stuff they were doing for Holly, sending her to different sporting events.

Grasso's 3 losses at 115 clearly did her some good. She grew mentally and physically, moving up a weight class and getting back onto a win streak at 125.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jiminy For This Useful Post:
Old 17-Sep-23, 20:21
Last Achievements

#AndStill

Alexa Grasso and Valentina Shevchenko fought to a split draw last night at "Noche UFC".

Media scorecards were fairly evenly split on who they thought won. Either 47-48 one way or the other. But the deciding factor was ultimately judge Mike Bell scoring round 5 a 10-8 in Grasso's favour, making it a 47-47.

The bottom line is that Alexa Grasso has proven herself to be more than a handful for the once dominant champion, Shevchenko. Once again winning rounds, rocking and dropping Valentina in the second round, looking fresher later in the fight and having her best round in the 5th where she threatened once again with a face crank after taking Shevchenko's back. If this was a schoolyard, schoolgirl fight and the final horn was a teacher breaking it up, you'd go away with the impression Alexa won because she was in the process of doing Valentina over, getting the better of it.

There's obviously a good case Valentina won 3 rounds - 1, 3 & 4. But as I always say, if you're gonna win a title by decision, it's gotta be definitive and this wasn't definitive enough to take a girl's belt.

The 125 division is now hotly contested with Fiorot and Blanchfield potential contenders.

For Valentina, a move to 135 may be her best option at this point as I doubt she'll get another immediate rematch but she could well slide straight into a title fight or title eliminator at 135. I'm not too sure what's happening in that division but it would be great if they put on an old school Pride style one-night tournament with 4-8 women. Won't happen though.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jiminy For This Useful Post: