Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > The Pioneers

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 03-Jul-14, 10:29
Points: 12,119, Level: 47 Points: 12,119, Level: 47 Points: 12,119, Level: 47
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,055 Times in 111 Posts
Default Two real pioneers!!!

If I write that the first was a man,you'd probably stop reading now.***Don't***
That man was Alastair Segerdal a photo journalist who first took an interest in female combat in the 1960's.Younger fans may not know but in those dark days female participation in both wrestling and boxing was banned.
Alastair took up the cause with articles in newspapers and even appearing on tv.
His works brought him into contact with Sue Atkins the future British and European Champion who was later to form the B.L.B.A. in 94.
Sue who first came to notice as Susy Catkins and fought in the event at Watford when the L.G.I.S. came to town.Although she didn't fight topless,she did win against L.G.I.S. regular Kanen Hecke.
This event got a lot of unwanted publicity in the scandal paper of the time The News of the World which described to it's disgusted readers topless badly beaten girls crying in corridors.
A more realistic report along with Alastair's photos appeared in the fans bible Amazons in Action.Sadly Alastair died on the 28th of May 2003,while Sue as since been involved in training many of the latter day female boxers.
Alastair's pictures form the time still appear on the net though I do believe they were donated to WBAN by his brother.
Video/DVD and download of Sue and of the Watford event are still available from Rockin Roxanne.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 111alastair_1982_april_3.jpg (28.1 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg boxing197.jpg (154.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg sue3.jpg (11.2 KB, 973 views)
File Type: jpg sue atkins.jpg (26.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg vbox32.jpg (81.2 KB, 112 views)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Klaus For This Useful Post: