Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 23-Nov-16, 22:49
Producer
Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,066 Posts
Default Re: Invicta Controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylefan [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I don't see how viewers at home have any "standing" to second-guess officials who were there.
My go-to expert wasn't there either, but initially agreed with the match official that it was illegal.

My eyeballs said it looked legal to me, but I don't know the sport as well as others. To me, Tonya placed the foot there to help with a transition. She did not strike her opponent with the foot.

But if the real officials who are looking at replays say the match official made a mistake, then he and the organization owe her an apology, I would say, but that's about it, apart from a rematch on an upcoming card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

Lays out her options for appeal.
Good find.

"Chapter 8 of Missouri’s MMA Rules set out the below fairly universal list of fouls. Foul “S” being the only one the referee could possibly have in mind.

(1) Fouls. The following actions in a mixed martial arts bout or contest are defined as fouls:

(L) Elbow attacks to the head or the face of the opponent; "

I did not realize the elbow strikes to the head are illegal. I wonder if that rule differs state-to-state.

Unfortunately, I don't think she really has any recourse here. They'll get her a rematch, I'm sure, but I bet it's highly unlikely the result of this fight would be set aside and any prize monies frozen. Over in the UFC, when Brock Lesnar failed a drug test, he got to keep the money he made from his fight with Mark Hunt. He can still be fined by the state athletic commission and also by the UFC, but Brock gets to keep most of what he made, no matter what because of the way the payouts are structured. And it makes sense - a person who bought the PPV to see him is not going to "give back" or "un-see" the broadcast.

I just don't see her getting an immediate rematch this coming Tuesday at some undisclosed location in the upper Midwest.
Old 24-Nov-16, 14:35
Points: 5,218, Level: 30 Points: 5,218, Level: 30 Points: 5,218, Level: 30
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%
Last Achievements

Please forgive me as I haven't seen or heard anything yet, but did the referee comment on this in a post-fight discussion? I'd like to know his thoughts if anyone knows.

I am a licensed karate referee, which is very different from MMA, and I can't really call this one either way as I wasn't there to see the action, nor do I have any idea as to what the referee was basing his decision on. I will say this much though, as both a fighter and as a ref, the action is typically so fast that it can be chaos out there.

Of course Tonya feels she was in the right, or I doubt she would have used the technique. She states in the interview with Luke that she transitioned from using a knee, to standing and using her foot, and that she's done it before. I used that same rationale last time I got a speeding ticket and it didn't work very well...

A difference I would suggest is that knees do not have toes on them. It could be possible that the referee felt that Tonya could be gouging her opponent in the eye(s) from that position. As I said, I wasn't there, nor can I tell from the video, but eye gouges are ALWAYS illegal, whether they are incidental or not.

I also think that it is subjective as to whether it is a strike or not. If I have my foot on your head, and you are moving and I'm shifting my weight, it may appear as somewhat of a strike. That probably varies greatly among refs.

All in all, I think it's a bummer for any match to end on controversy like this. And once again, as a fighter, a ref, or a spectator, everybody wants a fair fight.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Corner Man For This Useful Post:
Old 25-Nov-16, 00:52
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,193 Times in 794 Posts

Invicta President Shannon Knapp on the issue. Turns out she had a great vantage point. The conversation about Evinger starts around 28:50.
The Following User Says Thank You to brooksie For This Useful Post:
Old 25-Nov-16, 04:29
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

Invicta President Shannon Knapp on the issue. Turns out she had a great vantage point. The conversation about Evinger starts around 28:50.
This controversy could be the best thing yet for Invicta. There wouldn't be 1/2 this much talk about it if it had been a clear decision for the fighters. Sets up a highly anticipated rematch. They should have ArielX referee with US rules next time
The Following User Says Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 25-Nov-16, 08:56
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,688 Times in 9,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
They should have ArielX referee with US rules next time
This! Someone email Knapp quick!
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Old 25-Nov-16, 21:23
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
This controversy could be the best thing yet for Invicta. There wouldn't be 1/2 this much talk about it if it had been a clear decision for the fighters. Sets up a highly anticipated rematch. They should have ArielX referee with US rules next time
LOL! Or, they could remain a professional fighting organization and continue to inspire girls from all around the world to get into MMA. There's lots of US material around, only one Invicta.
The Following User Says Thank You to brooksie For This Useful Post:
Old 26-Nov-16, 00:13
Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31
Last Achievements

Quote:
LOL! Or, they could remain a professional fighting organization and continue to inspire girls from all around the world to get into MMA. There's lots of US material around, only one Invicta.
Yeah, I don't think we'll be seeing US on Fight Pass anytime soon.
Old 26-Nov-16, 08:26
Banned
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated G [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Yeah, I don't think we'll be seeing US on Fight Pass anytime soon.
Invicta is a pretty modest organization at heart. I recall Shannon Knapp saying she wasn't even sure she was going to have ring girls at first and she's mentioned in interviews that Invicta's girls are more covered up than most. As much as I respect her and what she has done for WMMA, I don't get the sense there's much kink in that woman.
Old 01-Dec-16, 13:59
Producer
Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72 Points: 27,496, Level: 72
Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4% Activity: 21.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,066 Posts

Tonya's appeal has been filed with the Missouri Office of Athletics. She expects a response in a few weeks, but other than having the 'L' removed from her record, I don't know what the endgame is here.

Old 01-Dec-16, 19:52
Banned
Last Achievements

From her Twitter feed today:

<<tonya evinger ‏@[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]aevinger 15m15 minutes ago
Today I was informed by the Missouri athletic commission that my appeal was accepted and my last fight in KC Nov 18th was overturned to a no contest. I will retain my world title and move forward awaiting the decisions for what's next. Thanks to everyone for the support.>>

Chatted a bit with her yesterday. I don't think she was expecting this quick a result. After watching the bumbling of the Nevada and NY commissions, it's easy to jump to the conclusion no Athletic Commission has their shit together. Maybe this one does.