Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

View Poll Results: Rousey vs Nunes. Who will win?
Ronda Rousey 47 59.49%
Amanda Nunes 32 40.51%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-Jan-17, 19:45
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts
Default Re: Ronda Rousey vs Amanda Nunes

I really don't see why she would come back at this point. I don't think any therapist would recommend she do mma again. She's got the money. Why risk her health anyways. I don't think turning into a sideshow for the ufc would be very healthy for her mentally either. She still has the acting career, albeit a diminished one since they cancelled 2 movies she was going to star in after the Holm loss. She could settle into a career like Gina has. Some people think she goes to the WWE, but I don't see it. And if she really wants to be a mom, might as well go for it now, turning 30 next month.
Old 01-Jan-17, 20:25
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,194 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdragon [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Dana made this fight bec he though ronda would win easily
I don't believe that for a second. If Ronda had asked for a tune up fight first, it's certainly possible he would have given her what he perceived as an "easy" opponent. But Ronda wanted to go straight back into a title fight, which means she wanted to fight the champ. Dana didn't decide who that was going to be. Given his choice though, I imagine he'd have preferred a rematch with Holm or Tate. Either of them would have been way bigger money fights than Nunes. 207 did ok but would have been way bigger with either of those two as Rousey's opponent.

Regardless, even if he had hand-picked Nunes, you would be the only person I've ever heard describe her as someone's idea of an easy opponent. I've never heard that said about Nunes. In fact, as a rare MMA female with knockout power, she's usually described as very dangerous.
Old 01-Jan-17, 20:28
Points: 3,048, Level: 22 Points: 3,048, Level: 22 Points: 3,048, Level: 22
Activity: 17.1% Activity: 17.1% Activity: 17.1%

Those who say she was overrated have some reason to feel vindicated. But to say she's an awful person is over-reaching. You'd have to actually know a person, the real person not just their public persona (which is never entirely of their own making, the media plays a part). A person's public persona is never an accurate reflection of who they truly are.[/QUOTE]

A public persona is what you chose. It says more about the person than they might think it does.

Also, it's fucking MMA, not professional wrestling. Leave the acting to people who know what they are doing.
Old 01-Jan-17, 20:39
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,194 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I really don't see why she would come back at this point.
Really? I can think of at least one reason....pride. She may not want two fairly lopsided losses to be her legacy. I'm not predicting she will come back, I'm just saying that's a pretty easy reason to imagine why she might.

I guess it depends on whether she feels her legacy is her own record or the impact she had on the sport. She could leave and, even with two losses in her final fights, still know she's done more for female combat sports than any other woman in history.

Added after 8 minutes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrygrappler [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

A public persona is what you chose. It says more about the person than they might think it does.

Also, it's fucking MMA, not professional wrestling. Leave the acting to people who know what they are doing.
The first statement is a clear indication you are lacking in media literacy. Once you get involved with the media, you are no longer in complete control over how you are perceived. Without getting into details (inherent bias, selective editing, type of questions asked etc) it's always a two-sided affair. You simply can't control how you appear one hundred per cent.

As for the second statement, the thinking in MMA media now is that the UFC is going more in the direction of pro wrestling, at least as far as promotion and the creation of characters goes. There's plenty of talk of whether fights are going to be based on captivating story lines, interesting matchups or will be along the lines of following the rankings and making fights based on wins, like an actual sports league. One of MMA's leading voices is Ariel Helwani, who has openly speculated about this and wonders that, if the UFC follows the wrestling model for making fights, if the belts will mean as much as they used to. The biggest UFC star now is Conor McGregor, who certainly seems to have borrowed from the pro wrestling playbook.

Last edited by brooksie; 01-Jan-17 at 20:39.
The Following User Says Thank You to brooksie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-Jan-17, 21:29
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,688 Times in 9,926 Posts

As I said before the fight, if you listen to the few sound-bytes that we had from her, she didn't sound like she wanted to fight, like the time when she said she was "domesticated". It all adds up. She was either being forced to fight by the contract, or just wanted the 3 millions + PPV, which might amount to 20-25 millions from what I gather. Pride, revenge, etc - of course, that's the story to sell. She didn't want to do interviews because she didn't want the people to see how insecure and vulnerable she is.

Of course, she would have wanted to win, but she didn't have the necessary tools to do it as a result of lack of proper coaching. Those who constantly said "Yes" and "Beautiful, champ" to her, and the fans that praised her beyond all measure are also to be blamed for her downfall.

It is understandable why people enjoyed seeing her crash, now twice. Her attitude on TUF show and seeing her antics against Tate and later Holm rendered her unlikeable, among other things. And rightly so. She was arrogant and offensive, and generally immature. Of course people feel good to see her get humbled.

From what I can see however, the majority of people have mixed emotions about it. They feel vindicated, but also feel bad for her. Because, what a loss of talent! She is still relatively young and obviously immensely talented in martial arts. Imagine what she could have achieved at Jackson Wink or Tristar or with any proper coaching. If she can alter her mentality and change gyms, I believe we can still see Ronda conquer the mountain in a couple of years. However, this seems extremely unlikely at this point.
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naji For This Useful Post:
Old 01-Jan-17, 22:18
Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31 Points: 5,471, Level: 31
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyPaul [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I have never been a fan of Ronda's but I think many people is being unfair to her. In my opinion she has been dealing with too many psychological issues during the last few months. If what she confessed in Ellen Degeneres' show is true (thinking about commiting suicide) what she really needs is medical treatment. All the stuff around UFC, her trainer, her mother... won't do her any good. If she decided to try again she will need to be centered, especially if on the other side there is an amazing fighter like Amanda. Ronda is very talented and can beat any UFC female but it is now very obvious that she is not invincible. However, what Ronda has made for female UFC is something nobody else will do in a while and I think she deserves credit for that and not being treated like a bluff.
Yes, Ronda's mom is not afraid to tell her what she thinks, but she's also a mom that believes in letting her kids make their own decisions and living with the consequences. She's also said that Ronda is consumed with winning and it runs her life. She needs to become ok with losing, like Dominic Cruz was on Friday, like Conor was with Diaz. She needs to look at Damian Maia, who has world class judo and made exactly the same mistake Ronda did. He fell in love with his striking and lost a bunch of fights as a result. He smartened up and is now a top contender again. So she needs to see a sports psychologist to address her issues, or at least talk to guys that she trusts like the Diaz brothers or Melendez or Cormier.

And while she's talking to those guys she might want to ask them about Edmond, because he needs to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rated G For This Useful Post:
Old 01-Jan-17, 22:56
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,688 Times in 9,926 Posts

Ariel talking about Cruz and Ronda's losses

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Old 01-Jan-17, 23:41
Points: 1,146,998, Level: 100 Points: 1,146,998, Level: 100 Points: 1,146,998, Level: 100
Activity: 81.0% Activity: 81.0% Activity: 81.0%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 153,790 Times in 13,793 Posts

Interesting explanations.
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jovanzi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-Jan-17, 02:31
Points: 15,348, Level: 53 Points: 15,348, Level: 53 Points: 15,348, Level: 53
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated G [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Yes, Ronda's mom is not afraid to tell her what she thinks, but she's also a mom that believes in letting her kids make their own decisions and living with the consequences. She's also said that Ronda is consumed with winning and it runs her life. She needs to become ok with losing, like Dominic Cruz was on Friday, like Conor was with Diaz. She needs to look at Damian Maia, who has world class judo and made exactly the same mistake Ronda did. He fell in love with his striking and lost a bunch of fights as a result. He smartened up and is now a top contender again. So she needs to see a sports psychologist to address her issues, or at least talk to guys that she trusts like the Diaz brothers or Melendez or Cormier.

And while she's talking to those guys she might want to ask them about Edmond, because he needs to go.
I think unlike most have these other fighters you're talking about Ronda has so many options that will make her as much or more cash than MMA. That probably makes it so she doesn't put her full heart into any more even if she thinks she is. If fighting was her only option maybe she hooks up with a real coach and gives it another try. But unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it it appears money may be what motivates Ronda the most now.
Old 02-Jan-17, 02:51
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts

Ronda Rousey must retire after crushing loss to Amanda Nunes
Josh Peter , USA TODAY Sports 10:38 p.m. EST December 31, 2016

Nunes said she shushed coach Edmund Tarverdyan in part because he encouraged Rousey to box with the champ, who stopped Rousey on her feet in the first minute USA TODAY Sports
USP MMA: UFC 207-NUNES VS ROUSEY S OTH USA NV

LAS VEGAS — For Ronda Rousey, there is only one sane move: retire.

The cuts and swelling on Rousey’s face will heal in the coming weeks. But the mental damage she suffered during the beatdown against Amanda Nunes Friday night at T-Mobile Arena will last forever.

Fighters don’t dare enter the octagon without their confidence fully intact. Rousey’s confidence is shattered beyond repair based on what’s already known.

In November 2015, Rousey suffered her first loss when she got knocked out by Holly Holm in a setback that sent her into seclusion. Three months later, during an appearance on The Ellen Show, Rousey told Ellen Degeneres that she was so despondent after the fight, she considered suicide.

It’s hard to imagine Rousey is any less devastated after her loss to Nunes at UFC 207. She refused to do publicity this week leading up to the fight, presumably a sign of Rousey’s commitment to redemption.

Now the idea of redemption must give way to retirement, and Rousey, 29, has plenty of post-fight options.

Option No. 1: Sit on Venice beach near her home and contemplate her next move

Rousey got $3 million for the Nunes fight, so that would help pay the rent and electricity bills for the near future.

Option No. 2: Explore TV and movies

Back-to-back losses will sap her star power a little. But she’s bright, funny and attractive, and those attributes should land her opportunities.

Fox Sports would be smart to offer her a spot on its Fight Night broadcast. And Dana White, UFC’s president, also understands Rousey’s value and surely would find a role for her.

Option No. 3: Coach and mentor fighters

Whether it’s a school for young fighters or up-and-coming pros, Rousey has a lot to offer mixed martial arts fighters. Beyond mixed martial arts, Rousey seems well equipped to help empower young girls.

Here’s what she’s not equipped to do: Fight again. Ever.
The Following User Says Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post: