Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 09-Feb-17, 23:07
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,194 Times in 794 Posts
Default Valentina Shevchenko

Time for Valentina to have her own thread, now that Juliana Pena's out of the title picture for a while. This is a good highlight vid to start off with. It covers much of her long career including her famous "dance outs" as opposed to walkouts and some highlights of the first fight with Amanda Nunes.

My prediction is that 2017 will be Shevchenko's year. I think she's going to win the 135 belt from Nunes and then absolutely blow many people's minds by gaining a ton of media attention as they discover all the interesting things about this woman.

For instance, during her long and varied fighting career, she's had the same coach all her life. She started at five. That must be a fascinating relationship. Her older sister is also a multiple-time kickboxing champ. Her mother is president of Kyrgyrstan's Muay Thai Assn, where Shevchenko was born and raised. She has competed in, and won, dance contests. The same can be said about shooting competitions and she is a gun enthusiast. She's at least a minor celebrity in her long-time home of Peru, appearing on many different kinds of TV shows from the serious to the silly, including their version of American Gladiators, as one of the Gladiators. She's musical and can play ukulele and guitar (that I know of, maybe other instruments too), she has a degree in film studies and plans to direct movies after fighting. She speaks at least three languages - Russian, Spanish and English and there may be others as well. Not to mention she was recently involved in an armed robbery during which her long-time coach, Pavel Fedetov, pursued the crooks and was shot in the leg.

[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

And a glamour shoot for a Peruvian magazine. She seems pretty comfortable doing "sexy":

But I think she's more of a country gal, at heart. Makes a pretty sweet-looking cowgirl, too. Wonder if she rides, in addition to her many other talents. Wouldn't surprise me if she did:

Last edited by brooksie; 09-Feb-17 at 23:32. Reason: add
The Following User Says Thank You to brooksie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-Feb-17, 23:43
Points: 22,751, Level: 65 Points: 22,751, Level: 65 Points: 22,751, Level: 65
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,270 Times in 633 Posts
Default Re: Valentina Shevchenko

I like her but she's too tiny for Nunes.
Old 09-Feb-17, 23:49
Banned
Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100 Points: 59,088, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royh [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
I like her but she's too tiny for Nunes.
She's a natural flyweight, for sure, but Holm's bigger than Nunes. I know she lost to Nunes once before, but that was only three rounds. Shevchenko clearly won the third round and seemed to be gaining momentum. Over a five-round fight, I think she has an advantage. All opinion, of course, and we'll have to see but Shevchenko's a very smart fighter, doesn't get rattled and is very strong for her size.

Here she is out-muscling the much larger Jan Finney:

And in a kickboxing match with another bigger opponent. Some interesting things said about her during the commentary:

Last edited by brooksie; 10-Feb-17 at 00:59.
The Following User Says Thank You to brooksie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-Feb-17, 17:17
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,688 Times in 9,926 Posts

Shevchenko dancing to lezginka before a kickboxing match, 2013:
another - [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]

Edit:
Here's full dance by Shevchenko, from a concert? in 2006: [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
And this? Didn't know she was a pro-dancer -> [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naji For This Useful Post:
Old 11-Feb-17, 19:53
Banned
Last Achievements

Shevchenko training video, with nice little add-on at the end. If you watched her media appearances in Houston, you know which pair of shoes she picked. As for the last shot....what can I say, I've always had a thing for cowgirls :-)

On a more serious note, here are a couple of Peruvian news reports on the shooting she and her coach were involved in. These news stories show the surveillance video of the actual shooting. The first one is fairly straightforward, about two and a half minutes, the second one is longer. I don't speak Spanish but it appears to be more of an expose-style piece. Even with the language barrier, I noticed they didn't have to do any background after mentioning Shevchenko's name, which further confirms my suspicion she is well-known in Peruvian pop culture:

This is an interesting fight, her last before joining the UFC. This was in Houston, which is apparently now her home base in the U.S. From what I can tell (from MMA chat rooms and social media) she plans on dividing her time between Lima and Houston, not moving to the States full-time, although that could change, especially if she becomes UFC Bantamweight champ. Anyway, Valentina wins the fight but she did not have a good time. This is a chance to see what happens when she gets pissed off. Her opponent kept clinching and wrapping up Shevchenko's head, which you're not supposed to do in kickboxing. The ref is often late in breaking them up and, as this continues, Valentina starts breaking the clinches herself by throwing her (much taller) opponent to the canvas with increasing violence, prompting commentator Pat Militech to joke that she was sending a message to Dana White that she can take people down, not just punch and kick them.

These days, she seems pretty happy. In fact, the girl can't stop dancing - on a stage, in the cage, on the beach, in a garage, on the patio...doesn't seem to matter:

Last edited by brooksie; 11-Feb-17 at 21:33.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brooksie For This Useful Post:
Old 13-Feb-17, 18:45
brooksie
This message has been deleted by brooksie. Reason: vid fail
Old 14-Feb-17, 08:39
brooksie
This message has been deleted by brooksie.
Old 16-Feb-17, 04:51
Banned
Last Achievements

Fan art:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shevchenko Art.jpg (222.1 KB, 29 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brooksie For This Useful Post:
Old 19-Feb-17, 21:18
Points: 13,641, Level: 50 Points: 13,641, Level: 50 Points: 13,641, Level: 50
Activity: 10.0% Activity: 10.0% Activity: 10.0%
Last Achievements

Nunez is stronger but she will lose her title to Shevchenko, she is great with technique.
Old 19-Feb-17, 21:49
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,688 Times in 9,926 Posts

Those powerful legs...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Valentina-Shevchenko-Feet-2430365.jpg (96.0 KB, 153 views)
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naji For This Useful Post: