Go Back   Male vs Female | The Mixed Wrestling Forum > Mixed Wrestling & Fighting > Women's MMA

Check out the latest release by Fight Pulse: Bianca vs Andreas.
Preview photos are available in this topic. Get this video at: Fight Pulse - MX-251.

Old 05-Jan-18, 04:40
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1% Activity: 38.1%
Last Achievements

Thanked 15,079 Times in 4,065 Posts
Default Cris Cyborg Will Face Amanda Nunes Next

Dana White: Cris Cyborg Will Face Amanda Nunes Next
MMA WeeklyJan 4, 2018, 12:46 PM

Get ready for a champion versus champion fight in 2018.

UFC president Dana White revealed on Thursday that women's featherweight champion Cris Cyborg will face off with women's bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes in her next fight.

“First of all, Amanda Nunes wants to fight her. Amanda Nunes wants to fight Cyborg. That is the fight to make and that is the fight I will make. That's the fight,” White told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday.

Following her win over Holly Holm this past weekend at UFC 219, Cyborg said she was happy to fight Nunes, but also mentioned a showdown with former Invicta FC champion Megan Anderson.

Cyborg had put out a post on Wednesday claiming she had accepted a fight with Anderson for UFC 221 in Australia, but then later that same day, Anderson denied ever being offered the fight and said that work was still being done to put the match-up together.

Now it appears the UFC is going in a completely different direction with Nunes getting the next shot at Cyborg instead.

While the UFC has been hesitant to do champion versus champion fights in the past, it appears 2018 will be filled with them as Cyborg vs. Nunes joins flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson, who is expected to take on bantamweight king T.J. Dillashaw later this year as well.

It's unfortunate for Anderson to have the fight dangled in front of her for a moment and then pulled away, but the match-up between Cyborg and Nunes makes sense for the UFC.

Not only does Cyborg get another huge fight, but Nunes is stuck without an opponent right now at 135 pounds after top contender Raquel Pennington suffered a broken leg that forced her out of action for an undetermined amount of time. Add to that, Nunes has competed at 145 pounds previously and a fight with Cyborg would be just about the biggest possible bout the UFC could put together in either of the women's divisions.

“Amanda Nunes is a big, strong, powerful puncher. I think she matches up very well with Cyborg, too, and I think that's a fun fight,” White said. “That's the fight to make.”

By the sound of things, White plans to move quickly to get that match-up made as the UFC starts to put together plans for the next few pay-per-view cards to kick off 2018. UFC 222 in March still needs a main event and the UFC hasn't even scheduled anything for April yet so Cyborg vs. Nunes would seemingly fit on either of those events.

“Cyborg wants to fight so we'll get her a fight as soon as we can get it done, as soon as Amanda can prepare and get ready for this fight,” White said. “We're ready to roll.”

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stymie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-Jan-18, 05:49
Points: 13,641, Level: 50 Points: 13,641, Level: 50 Points: 13,641, Level: 50
Activity: 10.0% Activity: 10.0% Activity: 10.0%
Last Achievements

Default Re: Cris Cyborg Will Face Amanda Nunes Next

That is a fight they should def make.
Old 05-Jan-18, 07:06
Points: 12,856, Level: 49 Points: 12,856, Level: 49 Points: 12,856, Level: 49
Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0%
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,106 Posts

Does anyone think Nunes has a chance? Cyborg looks pretty unbeatable to me.
Old 05-Jan-18, 07:29
Administrator
Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100 Points: 864,862, Level: 100
Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9% Activity: 61.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Thanked 115,688 Times in 9,926 Posts

I think Nunes wins.
[Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register] | [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Old 05-Jan-18, 07:54
Points: 13,641, Level: 50 Points: 13,641, Level: 50 Points: 13,641, Level: 50
Activity: 10.0% Activity: 10.0% Activity: 10.0%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LicensetoKill [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Does anyone think Nunes has a chance? Cyborg looks pretty unbeatable to me.
I think Nunes has a very good chance. Holly Holmes wins that last round, she ends up beating Cyborg by split decision. Though both are brawlers Nunes and Cyborg, you figure this would have no chance in going the decision. Cyborg showed she can take a hit and take punches and kicks when she fought Jorina Baars in Muay Thai fight. Cyborg would have won if it was MMA because she could not ground and pound, but she showed heart. Baar is very good Muay Thai fighter.
The Following User Says Thank You to gemini3d For This Useful Post:
Old 05-Jan-18, 16:34
Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100 Points: 97,437, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Cris Cyborg explains why she would 'avoid' a fight with fellow UFC champion Amanda Nunes
By Guilherme Cruz@guicruzzz Aug 18, 2017, 5:00pm EDT

RIO DE JANEIRO — Cris Cyborg and Amanda Nunes are the only Brazilian champions in the UFC today, and they are not interested in fighting each other inside the Octagon.

Nunes, who reigns in the 135-pound division, has said multiple times that she’s not interested in facing the 145-pound champion. For Cyborg, both fighters should continue to dominate their divisions side by side.

"I’d fight Amanda, but I have no interest in fighting her,” Cyborg said during a media day in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. "We’re two Brazilians, and that would ‘kill' one Brazilian. Why kill one if we’re representing the same country? It’s us against the world."

Cyborg has fought many bantamweights during her short run in the UFC, and is campaigning for a bout Holly Holm next. Cat Zigano and Megan Anderson are other options for the former Strikeforce and Invicta FC champion, who would not turn down a fight with her Nunes if that’s what fans want.

"But if it’s an interesting fight for the fans, if they want this one day, we can do it,” Cyborg said. "It’s like ‘Claudinha’ (Gadelha) fighting Jessica (Andrade at UFC Japan). I don’t think it would be cool because we’re Brazilians, but I’d do it. I would avoid it, because Brazil vs Brazil is not cool, and I think fans would be split."
Old 25-Aug-18, 03:08
Last Achievements

From the mighty pen of Frank Pozen:

Thursday, August 23, 2018

Cris Cyborg vs Amanda Nunes added to Dec. 29 UFC show

It's finally official. UFC Welterweight Champion Cris Cyborg will face UFC Bantamweight Champion Amanda Nunes at UFC 232 Dec. 29 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The main reason this fight is even happening is the welterweight division is always going to be weak and not even The Ultimate Fighter 29 will improve the division. Since she has been in the UFC, Cris has fought bantamweights moving up to welterweight. So of course she has a competitive advantage which she would lose if she dropped to bantamweight. But at least Amanda started out as a welterweight. That was a long time ago so I don't know what she will be like as a welterweight now. When this fight was first proposed to Cris, she didn't want to fight another Brazilian. But after she beat Yana Kunitskaya in March and then Holly Holm beat the only other UFC welterweight Megan Anderson, even Cris was forced to admit that Amanda was the best opponent for her. Meanwhile, Amanda defended her UFC Bantamweight Championship with a win over Raquel Pennington in May. The problem was she broke her foot during that fight. Cris keeps wanting to do the fight sooner rather than later. First she wanted to do it in July at International Fight Week. Then she wanted to do it in Sept. When Amanda agreed to Dec. 29, Cris whined publicly that it was too long to wait and she wanted another fight in the meantime. The UFC wasn't going to risk an injury in a meaningless fight. It didn't make sense. Besides that, Amanda needed enough time to recover from the broken foot. And she wanted a full camp. So finally this fight is happening on Dec. 29 as proposed. So the whining didn't do Cris any good. Cris is probably going to win anyway because she's much bigger than Amanda. I don't see Amanda overcoming that. Who knows after that? One name that has come up recently is Olympic Gold Medal judoka Kayla Harrison. When her name first came up a few years ago, I had my doubts that Kayla could make 145. I still believe that because her PFL fights have been at 155. Let's see her make 145 and beat someone decent. That second part could be a problem too. And I am not hopeful that anyone decent will come from TUF 29. I'm keeping my expectations low so maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

2 comments:

defshepard2:15 PM

As much as I like Amanda Nunes. She was very respectful and concerned for Raquel after her victory over her. I just do not see her winning over Cyborg. I see another first round finish by Cyborg. Kayla Harrison? Maybe? I to have low expectations at this point. Didn't Cyborg mention she might retire after this fight? Maybe she was just talking. Anyways we will see Frank how all this pans out.
frankp3167:55 AM

This is the final fight on Cyborg's UFC contract. She can talk all she wants about Bellator or trying boxing but she can't make UFC money anywhere else.
Old 25-Aug-18, 05:05
Points: 10,043, Level: 43 Points: 10,043, Level: 43 Points: 10,043, Level: 43
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

This should be a good fight to end the year and end the UFC contract with Fox. I have to admit, though, I'd rather see beauty v. beauty or even beauty v. beast than beast v. beast. Face it, Chris and Amanda are both in the bottom one percent of Brazilian women when it comes to looks.
Old 25-Aug-18, 14:34
Points: 8,148, Level: 38 Points: 8,148, Level: 38 Points: 8,148, Level: 38
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
From the mighty pen of Frank Pozen:

Thursday, August 23, 2018

Cris Cyborg vs Amanda Nunes added to Dec. 29 UFC show

It's finally official. UFC Welterweight Champion Cris Cyborg will face UFC Bantamweight Champion Amanda Nunes at UFC 232 Dec. 29 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The main reason this fight is even happening is the welterweight division is always going to be weak and not even The Ultimate Fighter 29 will improve the division. Since she has been in the UFC, Cris has fought bantamweights moving up to welterweight. So of course she has a competitive advantage which she would lose if she dropped to bantamweight. But at least Amanda started out as a welterweight. That was a long time ago so I don't know what she will be like as a welterweight now. When this fight was first proposed to Cris, she didn't want to fight another Brazilian. But after she beat Yana Kunitskaya in March and then Holly Holm beat the only other UFC welterweight Megan Anderson, even Cris was forced to admit that Amanda was the best opponent for her. Meanwhile, Amanda defended her UFC Bantamweight Championship with a win over Raquel Pennington in May. The problem was she broke her foot during that fight. Cris keeps wanting to do the fight sooner rather than later. First she wanted to do it in July at International Fight Week. Then she wanted to do it in Sept. When Amanda agreed to Dec. 29, Cris whined publicly that it was too long to wait and she wanted another fight in the meantime. The UFC wasn't going to risk an injury in a meaningless fight. It didn't make sense. Besides that, Amanda needed enough time to recover from the broken foot. And she wanted a full camp. So finally this fight is happening on Dec. 29 as proposed. So the whining didn't do Cris any good. Cris is probably going to win anyway because she's much bigger than Amanda. I don't see Amanda overcoming that. Who knows after that? One name that has come up recently is Olympic Gold Medal judoka Kayla Harrison. When her name first came up a few years ago, I had my doubts that Kayla could make 145. I still believe that because her PFL fights have been at 155. Let's see her make 145 and beat someone decent. That second part could be a problem too. And I am not hopeful that anyone decent will come from TUF 29. I'm keeping my expectations low so maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

2 comments:

defshepard2:15 PM

As much as I like Amanda Nunes. She was very respectful and concerned for Raquel after her victory over her. I just do not see her winning over Cyborg. I see another first round finish by Cyborg. Kayla Harrison? Maybe? I to have low expectations at this point. Didn't Cyborg mention she might retire after this fight? Maybe she was just talking. Anyways we will see Frank how all this pans out.
frankp3167:55 AM

This is the final fight on Cyborg's UFC contract. She can talk all she wants about Bellator or trying boxing but she can't make UFC money anywhere else.

Stymie, do we know what weight they're fighting at? Cyborg will never make 135.

To win, Amanda would have to take this to the ground.

Amanda has KO power. But if Holly couldn't separate Cyborg from her senses, I doubt Amanda will.
The Following User Says Thank You to ClckwrkOra For This Useful Post:
Old 25-Aug-18, 16:30
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClckwrkOra [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
Stymie, do we know what weight they're fighting at? Cyborg will never make 135.

To win, Amanda would have to take this to the ground.

Amanda has KO power. But if Holly couldn't separate Cyborg from her senses, I doubt Amanda will.
Well he keeps mentioning welterweight, he no doubt means featherweight, 145 in the women's division. Surprised he made that mistake, there's no "welterweight" in mma that I know of...

Yup, Cyborg is the queen until indicated otherwise...maybe a "lucky punch" can rock her, at least she'll be going up against the most worthy contender, but I don't see her losing either. Holly Holm is a skilled but relatively light puncher...Julianna Pena once said "Harmless Holly couldn't hurt a fly." Certainly an overstatement as Ronda could attest, but probably some truth in that, it was actually a kick that finished Rousey.